Metagame National Dex Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
... First of all I'm sorry I didn't try and get reqs...
What is more broken than a mon with 700 BST that picks and chooses its checks from a list of 6 mons and makes a great case for Dialga being OU? (It has a worse speed tier in return for Draco Meteor basically.) Hard to say. So I'm just going to use Funbot's list posted in the suspect thread:
however I cannot come to the same conclusion that it applies as much of a strain on teambuilding as threats like Ash-Gren, GDarm (which I know ppl feel is also broken but thats not relevant to this discussion), Kartana, and Mega Lopp (to a lesser degree).
From the top:
Ash Greninja
Pretty sure this thing was a solid not broken by the end of last gen lol. But Mega Gross takes away half its checks by existing:
AV Tangrowth: Lol who doesn't run Phys Def with Helmet in Mega Gross meta.
SpeDef Ferrothorn: Again, everyone runs PhysDef to check Mega Gross, and to an extent Dracovish.
Tapu Bulu: Who? Seriously, doesn't stand a chance in the current Steel-infested meta.
SpeDef Pex: Same story as Ferro.
Tapu Fini: Thoroughly overworked in the current metagame, and easy to overwhelm.
Mega Venusaur: Who?
Worth also noting Mega Medicham and Mega Pinsir etc revenge killing it with priority aren't relevant in the current metagame either. Mega Gross has literally strangled all the checks this thing had last gen, which means this is probably getting banned for Mega Gross... Plus by tiering rules since Gren is the only mon with Battle Bond, goodbye Protean Greninja... I feel slightly ill.
Garm
Ah yes, freechoiceband.ungabunga. While Band squared isn't that great a set in Nat Dex, the damage Scarf can do by simply clicking U-turn over and over until it's ready to clean is nuts. Plus someone mentioned a Z-move set that allows it to ignore Choice lock... Broken? Probably. But its terrible defences and speed makes it pretty easy to revenge kill. Remember, "just keep Rocks up" has been acceptable Volcarona counterplay in multiple gens.
Kartana
Let's be real, this was broken last gen too. SD Z-move is as dumb as ever and still has 0 switch-ins. Banded still breaks for fun, Scarf still cleans for fun, but these two sets face a lot of competition in those slots. Its speed makes revenging it an awkward job, but it can be done.
Mega Lopp
The one viable Mega not called Metagross or a Metagross check. No longer has to run Ice Punch for Lando-T thanks to Scrappy buff, but this thing's movepool is so shallow it barely matters. It's ok. A good means of revenging stuff with double priority that otherwise has no counterplay.
(Just to be clear, this is just my personal viewpoint, and I have nothing against anyone who voted DNB.)

Bobsican

NatDex Ubers TL
is a Top Tiering Contributor
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-computer-mega-metagross.3663780/post-8476991
As a continuation of the thoughts I already had on Mega Metagross, I would like to continue with yet another replay that shows a direct example of teammates using Knock Off to let it overwhelm walls then sweep.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1121026350
As we can see in Turn 7 onwards, Rocky Helmet Skarmory appears to obviously prevent Clef from just dying, however, right after Gliscor comes in to replace M-Meta to let it just pull Knock Off to let Mega Metagross overwhelm it, Skarm thinks this turn it's safe (which is technically right) and sets Stealth Rock, however, right after M-Meta comes in and directly overwhelms it and manages to paralyze it, then Skarm just dies (It using Brave Bird like that hints the opponent wanted to just revenge kill it anyways). With no defensive check to it, as soon as I managed to deal with Dragapult and chipped M-Sableye, M-Meta sweeped.

As I've said before, M-Metagross is somewhat uncompetitive as it's just too good for the meta so far out of "sheer stats" and RNG, and I can totally understand the side that doesn't want it banned as it has checks and all, but the number of them just isn't enought, there's not enought stuff that can properly switch into it and threaten it out, let alone while being totally consistent, thus becoming centralizing to the meta on unhealthy levels, alongside other things I said in the other post.

While we are on that, no one has brought up here already of some voting issues potentially causing Mega Metagross to be banned in a few days if things go to that side, but many, including me, sure would like that to happen.

Last edited:
I'm pretty surprised that Megagross survived the suspect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know most discussion of Megagross will just be restating about how it has checks and the RNG and so on and so forth, so let's be productive and discuss something else.
I'v been pretty busy job hunting for the past few weeks, so I'm a bit out of the loop currently.
Any creative sets and cores that people found success with?
Edit: I decided to make a Rain Team, and Focus Blast+Fightinium Z Tornadus-T is pretty good for Rain teams. Being able to OHKO Tyranitar while also being a good lure for it is pretty valuable. I think the analysis should have that as an alternative for Knock Off/Flyinium Z.
Also Dracovish is doing very well when paired with Swampert and Greninja.

Last edited:
This isn't too original but I think it's worth noting that these two have great synergy together. Their checks overlap in-name-only, since nearly all the mons that check Dracovish need to be tailored a certain way, and the same goes for Ash Greninja. You do need to make proactive plays though, since these are two choiced mons that are fairly predictable, Gren is useless pre-Ash, and most of these checks can regen/recover from free turns. It's one of those "don't knock it until you try it" type of things if you like to play agro.

I listed their checks just to show how what covers one doesn't cover the other.

:greninja-ash:
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Gunk Shot / Spikes

Checks: Chansey, SpDef Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Av Tangrowth, SpDef Ferrothorn, SpDef Bulu, Gastrodon.

Spikes is almost always the superior 4th move (and it works great here too). However, the preeminent check to Ash Gren at the moment is Fini, so if there was ever a time in a meta where Gunk Shot was a viable fourth move I think it's now. It also hits the less common Av Tangrowth with a great chance to 2HKO. Luring Fini for itself and for Fish helps a ton, and Spikes aren't that crucial to wear down walls since that's not really the point of this core. Each mon already hits hard enough to 2HKO mons that are Ev'd to stop one but not the other.

0 Atk Greninja-Ash Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 208-246 (60.6 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Greninja-Ash Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Tangrowth: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO

:dracovish:
Dracovish @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs

Checks: PhysDef Pex, PhysDef Tang, (Mega) Slowbro, Seismitoad, Gastrodon, Alomomola.

Realistically, most non-stall teams are either running PhysDef Tang, Pex or Slowbro for Fish. They don't check Ash Gren anymore when Ev'd this way. I think you need Choice Band to hit hard enough to ease prediction with Fish against stuff like Gastro and Mola more than anything.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Well I've been experimenting this set lately, with electric terrain support:
:metagross-mega:
Please ban this (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake

The idea behind this set is just to allows mega metagross to act as a monstrous wallbreaker, and use his checks as setup fodder, and weaken them. Under electric terrain+though claw boost, thunder punch have a BP of 125, allowing it to 2hko Slowbro, Alomomola, and Corviknight. Power up punch also allows it to break mega Scizor and tangrowth more easily (remember that sleep powder doesn't work under electric terrain). Vs tangrowth matchup, you need to keep metagross healthy, since PUP take the rocky helmet chip.
Ferrothorn is the only one able to reliably win the 1v1, but hey, you can just earthquake it on the switch to weaken it.

Last edited:
a direct example of teammates using Knock Off to let it overwhelm walls then sweep.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1121026350
Ahh no. Not really. Though I agree (to some extend) that Metagross does have quite a few problems. That replay doesn't prove anything. Your opponent practically lost the game at turn 4 when he sacked Heatran (probably the only real Metagross check in his team) for no real good reason. Skarmory even though decent on its own, is only a half measure check against Metagross.

Metagross didn't "sweep" anything. It just cleaned an already winning game.

I know by this time, we are so tired of overpopulating the discussion with Metagross. But to be honest, Metagross is not unhealthy. It's just incredibly punishing if you play with your check recklessly, like with Dracovish case in Gen 8 OU. I've watched countless of replays where people claiming "this is the problem with that xyz mon". But to be honest, all I see are two people outplaying each others and one of them won, fairly.

And yes, RNG does get in the way sometimes and makes you choke. Dracovish gets a crit Psychic Fang on Toxapex switch in, Metagross gets a MM boost, etc.. It's sad, but it ain't Dracovish or Metagross' problem. It's RNG, and it's not even a problem. It's a feature which makes the game feel more sporty, rather than just a series of making precise decisions like Chess.

Last edited:
let's be productive and discuss something else.
I couldn't agree more. So let's be on with it:
Dracovish @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Super Fang
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
I know this sounds like a dumb meme set. But its ability to surprise and trap your opponent's key wall, along with Dracovish's natural decent bulk, is dumbly rewarding. Though 4-5 turns of trapping may not guarantee a KO, but it will guarantee to cripple it, or at least get a laugh out of it.

I really shouldn't say anything since I decided not to try voting or get the requirements to do so.. But I am glad and slightly disappointed that Mega Metagross is staying. Having a mon like Meta metagross around does keep the meta in place and does somewhat define the metagame of Gen 8 National Dex OU. At the same time. This mon is monsterous in its what it can do in battle, movepool, stats and the ability it has is something to be careful with. However, this mon is a lot more beatable since we do have the options in the metagame for it to happen unless haxs comes into play. Now that I think about it, this mon does some good and bad but it isn't broken unless it can hax your entire team down but at the same time, its a strong mon that can be beaten. We just have to be more prepared for it now.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been using a lot of Megagross moves, Power-Up-Power, Hone Claws, but this is probably by favourite option to use so far

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
-
Toxic

Toxic Megagross is such a great option on it honestly and I feel more people need to use it. So the goal is to overwhelm your opponent with your absurd strength and speed, however Toxic allows it to wear down Tangrowth and Slowbro over the course of the match, this is great as Fini can definitely prevent Toxic from getting onto them by switching in first, but at the same time it can't switch into Metagross whatsoever because of the fact it can easily drop to Thunder Punch, allowing Ashgren to become a much more significant threat overall. All and all, Toxic makes it so much easier to play around Finitang because of how Toxic wears Tangrowth down as it will be on a timer due to damage from your other Pokemon, and also hazards such as Rocks or Spikes.

... First of all I'm sorry I didn't try and get reqs...
What is more broken than a mon with 700 BST that picks and chooses its checks from a list of 6 mons and makes a great case for Dialga being OU? (It has a worse speed tier in return for Draco Meteor basically.) Hard to say. So I'm just going to use Funbot's list posted in the suspect thread:

From the top:
Ash Greninja
Pretty sure this thing was a solid not broken by the end of last gen lol. But Mega Gross takes away half its checks by existing:
AV Tangrowth: Lol who doesn't run Phys Def with Helmet in Mega Gross meta.
SpeDef Ferrothorn: Again, everyone runs PhysDef to check Mega Gross, and to an extent Dracovish.
Tapu Bulu: Who? Seriously, doesn't stand a chance in the current Steel-infested meta.
SpeDef Pex: Same story as Ferro.
Tapu Fini: Thoroughly overworked in the current metagame, and easy to overwhelm.
Mega Venusaur: Who?
Worth also noting Mega Medicham and Mega Pinsir etc revenge killing it with priority aren't relevant in the current metagame either. Mega Gross has literally strangled all the checks this thing had last gen, which means this is probably getting banned for Mega Gross... Plus by tiering rules since Gren is the only mon with Battle Bond, goodbye Protean Greninja... I feel slightly ill.
Garm
Ah yes, freechoiceband.ungabunga. While Band squared isn't that great a set in Nat Dex, the damage Scarf can do by simply clicking U-turn over and over until it's ready to clean is nuts. Plus someone mentioned a Z-move set that allows it to ignore Choice lock... Broken? Probably. But its terrible defences and speed makes it pretty easy to revenge kill. Remember, "just keep Rocks up" has been acceptable Volcarona counterplay in multiple gens.
Kartana
Let's be real, this was broken last gen too. SD Z-move is as dumb as ever and still has 0 switch-ins. Banded still breaks for fun, Scarf still cleans for fun, but these two sets face a lot of competition in those slots. Its speed makes revenging it an awkward job, but it can be done.
Mega Lopp
The one viable Mega not called Metagross or a Metagross check. No longer has to run Ice Punch for Lando-T thanks to Scrappy buff, but this thing's movepool is so shallow it barely matters. It's ok. A good means of revenging stuff with double priority that otherwise has no counterplay.
(Just to be clear, this is just my personal viewpoint, and I have nothing against anyone who voted DNB.)
While mega lopunny and metagross are among the best megas in the tier for sure, I won't say they are the only ones out there that are viable... In fact, more niche megas in the past have proved to be pretty good now, namely mega slowbro and mega pinsir.

Mega pinsir absolutely munches through physically defensive tangrowth, which is everywhere now. Giving its teammates like ash greninja and dracovish a much easier time. It also benefits from the more diverse metagame, where tapu lele and koko are no longer present on every team on ladder.

While regular slowbro is the more prominent form, Mega slowbro is still a force to be reckoned with. Its tremendous bulk lets it counter mega metagross and dracovish itself. With ferrothorn switching to the physical side, mega slowbro can now more easily predict and destroy it with a surprise flamethrower on the switch.

Tbh I think dracovish is more broken than mega metagross to an extent. Everyone knows how much this abomination restricts teambuilding. The scarf set is basically a m. metagross without the need of a mega stone, thus making it more slappable on teams. Well guess what, I once used scarf vish on a stall team(solely to counter other vish, heatran and taunt lele) and it worked.

Last edited:
Mega pinsir absolutely munches through physically defensive tangrowth, which is everywhere now. Giving its teammates like ash greninja and dracovish a much easier time. It also benefits from the more diverse metagame, where tapu lele and koko are no longer present on every team on ladder.
Mega Pinsir is 4* weak to Stealth Rock and cannot hold Boots, which means the entire team has to be built around it. Pretty sure Rocky Helmet Torn-T and Rotom-H just eat it alive too. It's not like anyone is actually going to leave a Tangrowth in on a Bug/Flying mon, so the fact it beats it doesn't really help those teammates at all.
Mega slowbro
Metagross or a Metagross check
You forgot Mega Scizor too. Both of them are great options for not auto-losing to Mega Gross (unless it has HP Fire or Grass Knot).
With ferrothorn switching to the physical side, mega slowbro can now more easily predict and destroy it with a surprise flamethrower on the switch.
Yes, but it is literally useless in every other application compared to Ice Beam, which hits Garchomp, Lando-T and Gliscor for 4* damage and many, many others for 2*. Not to mention great overall coverage with Scald.
Tbh I think dracovish is more broken than mega metagross to an extent. Everyone knows how much this abomination restricts teambuilding. The scarf set is basically a m. metagross without the need of a mega stone, thus making it more slappable on teams. Well guess what, I once used scarf vish on a stall team(solely to counter other vish, heatran and taunt lele) and it worked.
You do know scarf Vish is hard walled by Pex, Slowbro, Ferro, RH Tang, the rising pick Alomomola, and more. Its poor speed tier forcing it to run Scarf makes it much less dangerous here, outside of Rain which only ok ATM. Unlike OU, we don't all have to run Seismitoad. Ash-Greninja and Mega Metagross are far bigger and more common worries for defensive cores, the latter of which is behind the amount of PhysDef walls in the metagame.

I'm not too sure where public opinion is on this but I've been using it lately with a lot of success, so I'd like to see what others think here. I don't feel strongly enough to nominate it from B- to B rank, but I want to know what people think about this mon in the metagame.

Blacephalon

:Blacephalon:
The Minnesota Police @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick / Knock Off
- Psychic/Hidden Power Ground/Explosion if you hate volcarona as much as I do

While Ash-Greninja and Hydreigon's prominence are not great for this mon, I think every other current metagame trend helps it. Psychic is great coverage for it at the moment, since Toxapex is typically physically defensive and therefore, it no longer checks Scarf Clown (2HKO'd by Psychic), or Specs Clown at all (2HKO by Shadow ball/Psychic always). It also allows you to 2HKO Kommo-o, which is rare anyway, and only really seen on HO teams. Looking through the rest of its usual checks, Tyranitar and its Mega form will always hard-stop any Clown set, and that won't change. However, their usage at the moment is ...

61 | Tyranitar | 2.94950% | 36938 | 4.402% | 28504 | 4.495%
85 | Tyranitar-Mega | 1.78589% | 19022 | 2.267% | 14540 | 2.293%

... underwhelming. Most of the time I use the Scarf set, Clown ends up sweeping since most teams are relying on slower scarfers like Darm, Lando-T, Tapu Lele, Garchomp etc. that don't really stop this if they're minimally chipped down. Lele itself is a great partner for this, since it shuts down Water Shuriken and appreciates Clown weakening steels, and Clown appreciates Lele softening up all its checks like Heatran, Mage, Sableye, Chansey, etc. and freeing up the Trick/Knock slot for more offensive coverage. Other scarfers like Kartana and Dracovish can win a 1 on 1, but can't switch in, so most teams relying on them are typically sacing a mon to get them in. Fire Blast is optimal to OHKO Mega Metagross, but Flamethrower is just as good imo, since this mon shouldn't try and sweep without some minimal chip on things anyway.

In terms of its other sets, SubCM does face some competition from NP Gengar at the moment in terms of dicking stall. Ghostium sets are an okay fit on HO teams, but aren't helpful otherwise. Specs I think is fantastic if you build properly around it, since most people just mindlessly send in Heatran / Fini / Pex / Mage and lose. Thoughts?

While mega lopunny and metagross are among the best megas in the tier for sure, I won't say they are the only ones out there that are viable... In fact, more niche megas in the past have proved to be pretty good now, namely mega slowbro and mega pinsir.

Mega slowbro's tremendous bulk lets it counter mega metagross and dracovish itself, with ferrothorn switching to the physical side, makes it easier for it to predict and destroy it with a surprise flamethrower on the switch.

Mega Pinsir is 4* weak to Stealth Rock and cannot hold Boots, which means the entire team has to be built around it. Pretty sure Rocky Helmet Torn-T and Rotom-H just eat it alive too. It's not like anyone is actually going to leave a Tangrowth in on a Bug/Flying mon, so the fact it beats it doesn't really help those teammates at all.

You forgot Mega Scizor too. Both of them are great options for not auto-losing to Mega Gross (unless it has HP Fire or Grass Knot).

Yes, but it is literally useless in every other application compared to Ice Beam, which hits Garchomp, Lando-T and Gliscor for 4* damage and many, many others for 2*. Not to mention great overall coverage with Scald.

You do know scarf Vish is hard walled by Pex, Slowbro, Ferro, RH Tang, the rising pick Alomomola, and more. Its poor speed tier forcing it to run Scarf makes it much less dangerous here, outside of Rain which only ok ATM. Unlike OU, we don't all have to run Seismitoad. Ash-Greninja and Mega Metagross are far bigger and more common worries for defensive cores, the latter of which is behind the amount of PhysDef walls in the metagame.
Only not covering mega scizor coz that thing has been around for years.

Yea it is true that mega pinsir is almost ripped apart when it gets stealth rock damage, and it scares tangrowth away... but that gives it an opportunity to use sword dance then wreak havoc with close combat. The metagame is so young and diverse that I don't think many teams carry pokemon that can directly switch into it after a sword dance. (People tend to use mega loppuny or medicham to chip it with fake out) And yea, you have to build a team around it for sure, but so do you when you want to use charizard. It is just an incredibly underrated monster lurking in the shadows.

Ok, to make it clear, seismitoad is only viable in ou because tangrowth and slowbro are not present. Besides, the things that counter mega metagross also happen to be dracovish counters ,which is what makes those defensive cores effective. So it is highly likely that even when mega metagross becomes banned someday, these walls would remain common, solely to counter dracovish.

So far I have been using a team around 1700, which has been giving me pretty decent results thanks to an incredibly broken duo of Ash greninja+ dracovish, which is nearly as broken as Ash greninja + mega metagross.

While both can be countered by toxapex, even toxapex will be having a hard time when it is forced to run physically def and is under spikes pressure. While these two are threatening enough on their own, this combo provides an additional mega slot for setup nightmares like mega mawile, the aforementioned mega pinsir, mega charizard x etc.

So my point here is that while mega metagross is without a doubt one of the most powerful and slappable megas available, I honestly don't think it is necessarily the single best mega that we can use in every team. Dracovish, on the other hand, doesn't use up a mega slot and can straight up blow teams apart in mega metagross' fashion, which is what makes it broken in my opinion. Think about it, the single best dracovish counter is actually dracovish itself.

The second closest thing to being broken is probably chansey/blissey, which was honestly even more ban worthy last gen. Yes, many walls are going physically def lately to counter mega metagross, so a special wall like chansey is not good anymore... right? Wrong. I mean, this thing literally counters almost ALL special attackers, while still having some good physical def when eviolite is intact, which I found to be rather unhealthy for the tier. I can simply switch it into a boosted volcarona anytime in the game and set rocks or toxic... Chansey is so dominating that it is probably the sole reason why gengar and taunt tapu lele exists. This evolutionary line has also been the core of stall, a playstyle that is not game breaking by any means, but it kills your brain cells and time in the process. Just ban this thing for good.

Last edited:
Every Mega has been about for at least 6 years at this point. In Mega Scizor's case, approaching 7.
Yea it is true that mega pinsir is almost ripped apart when it gets stealth rock damage, and it scares tangrowth away... but that gives it an opportunity to use sword dance then wreak havoc with close combat. The metagame is so young and diverse that I don't think many teams carry pokemon that can directly switch into it after a sword dance. (People tend to use mega loppunny or medicham to chip it with fake out) And yea, you have to build a team around it for sure, but so do you when you want to use charizard. It is just an incredibly underrated monster lurking in the shadows.
Zard Y brings much better breaking breaking power against any team without SpeDef Toxapex. It's still ehh. But at least it's B in the VR for dismantling a lot of the bulky Water/Grass cores atm. Mega Pinsir isn't even ranked atm for the following reasons:
  • Food for Mega Gross (faster and avoids OHKO from +2 CC, while doing 80% with Thunder Punch) and Aegislash (specs OHKOs you, Band takes you out with with Head Smash, anything carrying King's Shield just wreaks you) unless it carries EQ.
  • Rotom-H laughs at its STAB, ignores non-MB EQ, and OHKOs it with Overheat.
  • Bulky Torn-T repeatedly forces it out if you try and set up. It doesn't respond well to taking Returns, but it can check it with ease.
  • Corviknight walls it hard. It has to carry CC and get to +2 to even try and 2HKO it. While Corv just U-turns out into a check.
(BTW, people don't switch into a +2 Mega Pinsir, they switch into a Mega Pinsir as it uses Swords Dance). Basically, it's outclassed at everything it wants to be. Z move Torn-T, SD Z Fly Lando-T, Flyinum Z Gyarados, all outclass it as Flying move breakers, and its speed tier is tragically bad for a sweeper. It gets revenge killed with ease by any scarfer in the metagame, and any decently fast mon in general. It suffers from 4MSS, needing both CC and EQ to be effective. With something as utterly overwhelming as Mega Gross available, you need a MASSIVE reason to use any other offensive Mega, especially one that matches up poorly against several common threats and has an incurable 4* Rocks weakness. "This ain't it, chief".
Ok, to make it clear, seismitoad is only viable in ou because tangrowth and slowbro are not present. Besides, the things that counter mega metagross also happen to be dracovish counters ,which is what makes those defensive cores effective. So it is highly likely that even when mega metagross becomes banned someday, these walls would remain common, solely to counter dracovish.
It's viable in OU because Band Vish exists in OU, and nothing not immune to Rend deals with Banded Vish.
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 179-211 (45.5 - 53.6%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 226-268 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Crunch vs. 252 HP / 76+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 164-193 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The reason Vish is fine here is simply because its speed may as well not exist in Nat Dex (compared to OU where it's in the top half of the speed tiers), so it has to run Scarf every time, which makes the above calcs not happen in practice. It's still a very powerful breaker with Scarf, just not overwhelming.
So far I have been using a team around 1700, it has been giving me pretty decent results thanks to a incredibly broken combo of ash greninja+ dracovish, which is nearly as broken Ash greninja + mega metagross.
I'll be honest, Nat Dex ladder is full of jank. I can't remember the last time I saw something half decent watching games that wasn't just HO. To emphasise that point: Hydreigon was just moved to S- on the VR due to how overwhelmingly strong it is with Nasty Plot. It doesn't make OU by usage. But Celesteela, a Pokemon outclassed by Corviknight in every way, hits the usage threshold every other month. Anyway, congrats I guess.
Yea both can be countered by toxapex, but even toxapex will be having a hard time when it is forced to run physically def and is under spikes pressure. This combo even provides an additional mega slot for something more threatening like mega mawile.
Mega Mawile. Lol. The only reason to run this I can think of is if your stall matchup is awful (which should not be the case basically ever in the current metagame) and you're desperate for a switch-in to Dark Pulse Hydreigon (not that +2 Flash Cannon and Flamethrower don't destroy you, but whatever). Basically, its speed is so bad the only reason to run it over Mega Gross is if you're certain its speed will never matter (vs stall).
Tbh i think chansey/blissey has honestly been ban worthy since last gen. Yes, many walls are going physically def lately to counter mega metagross, so a special wall like chansey is less effective... right? Wrong. I mean, this thing literally counters almost ALL special attackers, which I found to be way too uncompetitive when I use it against volcarona. Chansey is so dominating that it is probably the sole reason why gengar and taunt tapu lele exists. Just ban this thing.
A few basic facts out the way: Blissey is not viable in Nat Dex, being outclassed by Chansey in every way besides avoiding Shadow Tag users. Chansey now has access to Teleport, which makes it useable on certain non-stall teams. Chansey's Seismic Toss deals no damage worth mentioning (Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 0 HP Snom: 100-100 (49.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Gengar and Taunt Tapu Lele are not aimed at handling Chansey in any way, they just happen to destroy it "by accident". The standard Chansey set is:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock/Toxic
- Teleport/Toxic/Heal Bell
So with that all established, let's go through Chansey's long list of checks and counters.
  • Ghost types, especially those immune to Toxic. You mention Gengar, and that's a great example of a Pokemon Chansey can do literally nothing to. Gengar can simply Nasty Plot away and/or Sub up with no fear. Aegislash is another Pokemon that just uses Chansey as setup bait. Dragapult has to be careful of Toxic if it doesn't have Sub, but Dragon Dance Pult just sets up on it and eats it alive. Mimikyu is similar, just ignoring everything but Toxic and setting up in its face. Finally, while only useable on stall, Mega Sableye just completely shuts Chansey down.
  • Anything with Taunt. Taunt is a great move. You mention Lele, but that's hardly the only Pokemon that gets it. Tapu Fini is great at totally shutting Chansey down and preventing it healing before chipping away at it with Nature's Madness. Various other stallbreakers like Taunt Torn-T, stallbreaker Gliscor and more prevent Chansey doing anything but hopelessly Tossing. My personal favourite is stallbreaker Heatran. It traps it with Magma Storm before Taunting it, ensuring the pink blob's certain demise. Note these mons are effective against walls in general, not just Chansey.
  • Bulky status absorbers. Gliscor, Magic Guard Clefable and Reuniclus, anything with Magic Bounce, Tapu Fini via Misty Surge, Pokemon with Natural Cure like other Chansey, all of these Pokemon handle Toxic and the rare Thunder Wave just fine, and leave it Tossing or switching out.
  • Anything with Knock Off or Trick. As soon as it loses its Eviolite, Chansey gets much less bulky. As an example, Hydreigon at +2 has no chance to 3HKO with Draco Meteor, but without the Eviolite Hydreigon comfortably 2HKOs. Being Tricked a Choice item also makes Chansey totally useless.
  • Mixed or physical attackers. Chansey lives in fear of any special attackers that carry Knock Off, like Torn-T. Mixed attackers also give Chansey massive issues, as it often cannot switch into them without knowing their whole set. Greninja is a great example of this, as physical Protean varients give Chansey massive issues, and even uninvested physical hits from a mixed Greninja can smash a Chansey without its Eviolite. And of course many physical attackers like Kartana, Lando-T, etc, etc. force Chansey out.
I think that's sufficient counterplay, and hardly any of it is Chansey-specific. I didn't even mention 101 HP Subs, lure sets, and many more counters. TL;DR: Chansey is at worst annoying, which is not a reason for it to be banned.

Last edited:

Yea it is true that mega pinsir is almost ripped apart when it gets stealth rock damage, and it scares tangrowth away... but that gives it an opportunity to use sword dance then wreak havoc with close combat. The metagame is so young and diverse that I don't think many teams carry pokemon that can directly switch into it after a sword dance. (People tend to use mega loppunny or medicham to chip it with fake out) And yea, you have to build a team around it for sure, but so do you when you want to use charizard. It is just an incredibly underrated monster lurking in the shadows.

So far I have been using a team around 1700, it has been giving me pretty decent results thanks to a incredibly broken combo of ash greninja+ dracovish, which is nearly as broken as Ash greninja + mega metagross.

While both can be countered by toxapex, even toxapex will be having a hard time when it is forced to run physically def and is under spikes pressure. This combo even provides an additional mega slot for more nightmares like mega mawile or medicham.

Tbh i think chansey/blissey has honestly been ban worthy since last gen. Yes, many walls are going physically def lately to counter mega metagross, so a special wall like chansey is less effective... right? Wrong. I mean, this thing literally counters almost ALL special attackers, which I found to be way rather uncompetitive when I use it against volcarona. Chansey is so dominating that it is probably the sole reason why gengar and taunt tapu lele exists. Just ban this thing.

Yea it is true that mega pinsir is almost ripped apart when it gets stealth rock damage, and it scares tangrowth away... but that gives it an opportunity to use sword dance then wreak havoc with close combat. The metagame is so young and diverse that I don't think many teams carry pokemon that can directly switch into it after a sword dance. (People tend to use mega loppuny or medicham to chip it with fake out) And yea, you have to build a team around it for sure, but so do you when you want to use charizard. It is just an incredibly underrated monster lurking in the shadows.

So far I have been using a team around 1700, it has been giving me pretty decent results thanks to a incredibly broken combo of ash greninja+ dracovish, which is nearly as broken as Ash greninja + mega metagross.

While both can be countered by toxapex, even toxapex will be having a hard time when it is forced to run physically def and is under spikes pressure. This combo even provides an additional mega slot for more nightmares like mega metagross or medicham.

Tbh i think chansey/blissey has honestly been ban worthy since last gen. Yes, many walls are going physically def lately to counter mega metagross, so a special wall like chansey is less effective... right? Wrong. I mean, this thing literally counters almost ALL special attackers, which I found to be way rather uncompetitive when I use it against volcarona. Chansey is so dominating that it is probably the sole reason why gengar and taunt tapu lele exists. Just ban this thing.
Every Mega has been about for at least 6 years at this point. In Mega Scizor's case, approaching 7.

Zard Y brings much better breaking breaking power against any team without SpeDef Toxapex. It's still ehh. But at least it's B in the VR for dismantling a lot of the bulky Water/Grass cores atm. Mega Pinsir isn't even ranked atm for the following reasons:
  • Food for Mega Gross (faster and avoids OHKO from +2 CC, while doing 80% with Thunder Punch) and Aegislash (specs OHKOs you, Band takes you out with with Head Smash, anything carrying King's Shield just wreaks you) unless it carries EQ.
  • Rotom-H laughs at its STAB, ignores non-MB EQ, and OHKOs it with Overheat.
  • Bulky Torn-T repeatedly forces it out if you try and set up. It doesn't respond well to taking Returns, but it can check it with ease.
  • Corviknight walls it hard. It has to carry CC and get to +2 to even try and 2HKO it. While Corv just U-turns out into a check.
(BTW, people don't switch into a +2 Mega Pinsir, they switch into a Mega Pinsir as it uses Swords Dance). Basically, it's outclassed at everything it wants to be. Z move Torn-T, SD Z Fly Lando-T, Flyinum Z Gyarados, all outclass it as Flying move breakers, and its speed tier is tragically bad for a sweeper. It gets revenge killed with ease by any scarfer in the metagame, and any decently fast mon in general. It suffers from 4MSS, needing both CC and EQ to be effective. With something as utterly overwhelming as Mega Gross available, you need a MASSIVE reason to use any other offensive Mega, especially one that matches up poorly against several common threats and has an incurable 4* Rocks weakness. "This ain't it, chief".

It's viable in OU because Band Vish exists in OU, and nothing not immune to Rend deals with Banded Vish.
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 179-211 (45.5 - 53.6%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 226-268 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Crunch vs. 252 HP / 76+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 164-193 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The reason Vish is fine here is simply because its speed may as well not exist in Nat Dex (compared to OU where it's in the top half of the speed tiers), so it has to run Scarf every time, which makes the above calcs not happen in practice. It's still a very powerful breaker with Scarf, just not overwhelming.

I'll be honest, Nat Dex ladder is full of jank. I can't remember the last time I saw something half decent watching games that wasn't just HO. To emphasise that point: Hydreigon was just moved to S- on the VR due to how overwhelmingly strong it is with Nasty Plot. It doesn't make OU by usage. But Celesteela, a Pokemon outclassed by Corviknight in every way, hits the usage threshold every other month. Anyway, congrats I guess.

Mega Mawile. Lol. The only reason to run this I can think of is if your stall matchup is awful (which should not be the case basically ever in the current metagame) and you're desperate for a switch-in to Dark Pulse Hydreigon (not that +2 Flash Cannon and Flamethrower don't destroy you, but whatever). Basically, its speed is so bad the only reason to run it over Mega Gross is if you're certain its speed will never matter (vs stall).

A few basic facts out the way: Blissey is not viable in Nat Dex, being outclassed by Chansey in every way besides avoiding Shadow Tag users. Chansey now has access to Teleport, which makes it useable on certain non-stall teams. Chansey's Seismic Toss deals no damage worth mentioning (Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 0 HP Snom: 100-100 (49.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Gengar and Taunt Tapu Lele are not aimed at handling Chansey in any way, they just happen to destroy it "by accident". The standard Chansey set is:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock/Toxic
- Teleport/Toxic/Heal Bell
So with that all established, let's go through Chansey's long list of checks and counters.
  • Ghost types, especially those immune to Toxic. You mention Gengar, and that's a great example of a Pokemon Chansey can do literally nothing to. Gengar can simply Nasty Plot away and/or Sub up with no fear. Aegislash is another Pokemon that just uses Chansey as setup bait. Dragapult has to be careful of Toxic if it doesn't have Sub, but Dragon Dance Pult just sets up on it and eats it alive. Mimikyu is similar, just ignoring everything but Toxic and setting up in its face. Finally, while only useable on stall, Mega Sableye just completely shuts Chansey down.
  • Anything with Taunt. Taunt is a great move. You mention Lele, but that's hardly the only Pokemon that gets it. Tapu Fini is great at totally shutting Chansey down and preventing it healing before chipping away at it with Nature's Madness. Various other stallbreakers like Taunt Torn-T, stallbreaker Gliscor and more prevent Chansey doing anything but hopelessly Tossing. My personal favourite is stallbreaker Heatran. It traps it with Magma Storm before Taunting it, ensuring the pink blob's certain demise. Note these mons are effective against walls in general, not just Chansey.
  • Bulky status absorbers. Gliscor, Magic Guard Clefable and Reuniclus, anything with Magic Bounce, Tapu Fini via Misty Surge, Pokemon with Natural Cure like other Chansey, all of these Pokemon handle Toxic and the rare Thunder Wave just fine, and leave it Tossing or switching out.
  • Anything with Knock Off or Trick. As soon as it loses its Eviolite, Chansey gets much less bulky. As an example, Hydreigon at +2 has no chance to 3HKO with Draco Meteor, but without the Eviolite Hydreigon comfortably 2HKOs. Being Tricked a Choice item also makes Chansey totally useless.
  • Mixed or physical attackers. Chansey lives in fear of any special attackers that carry Knock Off, like Torn-T. Mixed attackers also give Chansey massive issues, as it often cannot switch into them without knowing their whole set. Greninja is a great example of this, as physical Protean varients give Chansey massive issues, and even uninvested physical hits from a mixed Greninja can smash a Chansey without its Eviolite. And of course many physical attackers like Kartana, Lando-T, etc, etc. force Chansey out.
I think that's sufficient counterplay, and hardly any of it is Chansey-specific. I didn't even mention 101 HP Subs, lure sets, and many more counters. TL;DR: Chansey is at worst annoying, which is not a reason for it to be banned.
I obviously meant mega scizor has been a common pick since gen 6, not when it was released, not a good joke.

That is a lot of words, but I think it is better to click the play button and have a couple of battles with others first before you talk about how mega metagross has been overwhelming. While it may sound like a super wallbreaking machine on paper and stats, stuff is different in an actual battle. Is everyone in the higher ladders using it? Is it uncounterable? Is it always the best mega? No, no and no. While it can set up hone claws and even rock polish, it clearly isn't the best set up mega around when it comes to sweeping. Megas like mega mawile and charizard x can be better choices. They do require more support, but can nevertheless do stuff that mega metagross can't dream of.

I obviously meant mega scizor has been a common pick since gen 6, not when it was released, not a good joke.

That is a lot of words, but I think it is better to click the play button and have a couple of battles with others first before you talk about how mega metagross has been overwhelming. While it may sound like a super wallbreaking machine on paper and stats, stuff is different in an actual battle. Is everyone in the higher ladders using it? Is it always the best mega? No, no and no. While it can set up hone claws and even rock polish, it clearly isn't the best set up mega around when it comes to sweeping. Megas like mega mawile and charizard x can be better choices. They do require more support, but can nevertheless do stuff that mega metagross can't dream of.
Uhhh. It's hardly just me lol. The recent Mega Metagross suspect ended with >60% of those who voted voting Ban, but due to semantics involving people not voting, the result was DNB.
Mega Metagross is not a sweeper, and neither RP or HC are its best sets (especially RP, I have no idea why you'd do that). Its best set is 4 Attacks. Depending on those 4 Attacks of choice, it picks its checks and counters from a list of 6 mons depending on the needs of its team. It is a wallbreaker that literally picks which walls it wants to break in addition to literally everything else it beats.
Is everyone in the higher ladders using it?
Let me ask you, do you know of 2014 VCG format? Mega Kangaskhan was literally the most broken mon in the entire of the format by a LONG way, in a way that has not been rivalled since. Yet only 6/8 of the Top 8 at Worlds used it and a Mega Garde team (featuring a now very famous Pachirisu) won. Does that make Mega Kangaskhan not broken? No. There is a difference between using the objectively most powerful team and building well. Surprise factor, matchup, and more can play a huge role in deciding the winner. A mon does not have to have 100% usage to be broken. (And before you make this point, no, just because Mega Metagross has less usage than Chansey in high ladder does not make Mega Gross not broken or Chansey broken. The last set of stats including Mega Toise was a contributer). Plus I'm convinced half of the Nat Dex ladder is clueless. (See again, the example where NP Hydreigon is a top-5 mon with no switch-ins and it is not OU by usage, but Tapu Bulu and Ditto are??).
Is it uncounterable?
It has set-dependent checks and counters, so formally speaking, yes. Every mon that checks/counters can lose to whatever coverage move it chooses to run in its 4th slot (assuming it is the standard MM/ZHB/TPunch in the other three, which it probably is but if it isn't that gives it a different set of checks and counters again). And making the assumption your opponent is competent, whatever he chooses to have counter Mega Gross is probably dumped in by his other 5 mons (not hard considering they will have roughly the same mons as Gross will have checks lol).
s it always the best mega?
If you need speed control, you go Mega Lopp, if you need Pursuit+Rocks, Mega Ttar if you need a wincon, Mega Latios, a wall Mega Bro, utility Mega Scizor. You have those covered fine or don't desperately need them, you go Mega Gross. That's about the size of it.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what the last few posts of this thread have devolved into but I wanted to talk about my experience with the current meta. I think balance is pretty much the best and most consistent archetype in the metagame and also what I have the most experience with so I'm just gonna talk / rant about my thoughts on it.

The Fat Water-types:
:toxapex::tapu-fini::slowbro::alomomola:
Pretty much every team is forced to run 1 of these 4 mons unless they are a form of Hyper Offense. In my experience choosing the right bulky Water-type for your build is incredibly important for helping you beat out Ash-Greninja, Darmanitan-G, and Mega Metagross in the long term. None of these mons can stop all three by themselves so it really depends on how you want to flesh out the rest of your team but here's how I see them:

:toxapex:
Personally, I find Toxapex to be the most splashable and think its probably the 5th best Pokemon in the metagame behind Tornadus-T and the brokens. Specially Defensive Toxapex with Baneful Bunker allows you to pretty comfortably check Ash-Greninja whilst maintaining the important role bulky Water-types need to have; being able to Pivot into Darm-G. Earthquake does a LOT to Toxapex, which is why I almost always find myself pairing Toxapex with Ground immunities such as Tornadus-T or Hydreigon, so that Pex can pivot in and then I can easily act accordingly the following turn. Using Toxapex also kind of mandates an extremely solid check to Mega Metagross, such as Hippowdon, Rocky Helmet Tangrowth, and Mega Scizor, for example. As Tapu Fini is a pretty common Mega Metagross partner, Toxapex can't even fish for Scald Burns and Mega Metagross can get a free switch in under Misty Terrain, so proper counterplay is really important here.

:tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini is probably the one I use the most aside from Toxapex as it fits into builds where you cant fit Torandus-T and need to compress your hazard removal and Ash-Gren/Darm-G check into 1 slot which can be surprisingly often. However, since Tornadus-T has become more and more potent I find myself leaning on Tapu Fini much less then I used to (I am very guilty of spamming TangFini cores earlier in the meta). Tapu Fini suffers often from needing to check too much whilst not having reliable recovery of its own which means you need to play exceedingly carefully around teams that have both Ash-Gren and Darm-G in order to preserve Fini's HP as well as possible. Don't get me wrong this mon is still fantastic, personally I find it much easier to build and use Toxapex in the current meta though.

:slowbro:
Slowbro has really fallen out of favor to me because not only is it a mediocre stop to Mega Metagross, it also forces your Ash-Greninja check to not be your bulky Water-type, and those are few and far between. This pretty much forces Slowbro to be used alongside things like non-Scarf Hydreigon, SpDf Ferrothorn, SpDf Kommo-o etc (AV Tang can sort of work but is not the most reliable Ash Gren check). I've not been a fan recently of how it constricts builds, however, it is one of the best checks to Darm-G in the meta and getting slow pivots into Pokemon such as NP Hydreigon, Mega Metagross etc is still really strong and can still very much be worth it if you can afford to fit another soft check to Metagross + a solid Ash Greninja stop alongside it.

:alomomola:
Alomomola has seen a pretty meteoric rise recently since it was introduced to the meta courtesy of Zack stall. Since then it has become the premier Darm-G check on stall, and a great option for the fatter side of the Balance spectrum. Mola also offers teams a soft check to Ash-Greninja too as it can always pivot in and eat a hit to scout what it locks into, and then act accordingly the following turn. Of course its also able to just about check Mega Metagross, similarly to Slowbro, but again shouldnt really be a teams only counterplay to it due to how much Thunder Punch does. Much like Slowbro, Mola does not appreciate the recent trend of Mega Metagross packing Toxic as it makes it much easier to overwhelm. Due to its passivity, I really only consider Mola on really fat balances and Stall builds but on such teams, its ability to at the very least soft check all 3 of our S rank Pokemon is extremely valuable.

The Megas
:metagross-mega: :lopunny-mega: :scizor-mega: :tyranitar-mega: :alakazam-mega:
There are other Mega Pokemon which are viable of course, such as Lati@s, Sableye, Slowbro, Swampert, and Zards, but I feel these are the most prominent ones on balance/BO and the ones you consider most often.

:metagross-mega:
I'll be honest, I thought its suspect would be a formality. Mega Metagross is still insanely overcentralising in the metagame in my opinion and is the go to choice for the vast majority of builds. There are many posts in this sub about what Mmeta does so instead of repeating all of that I'm going to be using it as the gold standard and talk about when I would consider using something over it, as I think it really is like that when building these builds: you have to have a reason not to use it.

:lopunny-mega:
Lopunny is probably the option your going to pick most often over Metagross as it eases Offense matchups so much thanks to its really good speed tier + stab priority options. Much like Metagross, it has also opted to run Toxic in its 4th slot a lot lately which makes traditional counterplay such as Slowbro, Rocky Helmet Tangrowth, and Alomomola a lot less effective at walling it long term. Mega Lopunny's surge in usage is part of the reason why Tornadus-T has become so common (at least in my opinion) as Rocky Helmet chip is a pretty consistent way to wear Lop down and Tornadus-T is an all around solid soft check to it in general. I tend to consider Lopunny when I need a little better natural speed control than Metagross can offer or I need a better matchup vs more offensive builds.

:scizor-mega:
I've used quite a bit of Scizor lately, as I said earlier I trend towards Toxapex as my Water-type and Mega Scizor is one way to sure up the Mmeta matchup. This is when I tend to consider Mega Scizor - when I need a more solid Metagross check than I can otherwise afford to fit onto a team. Mega Scizor also has the added benefit of being a soft check to Darm-G; being able to both take any non-Flare Blitz hit from it, and revenge kill it easily with Bullet Punch. In this regard, Mega Scizor also frees up your Choice Scarf slot, as Scarfers in this meta tend to need to be faster than Darm-G in order for teams to have a way to revenge kill it. As this isnt the case with Mega Scizor teams, they can often afford to run options such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, or a Darm-G of their own. I want to try and fit Pursuit Mega Scizor into a build to really punish Metagross, but it really struggles to fit all the moves it wants as it is, so its hard to justify. It goes without saying that using Scizor, you really need a good Heatran check in the back which can be somewhat restricting but fortunately, Garchomp fits pretty well and you can even do stuff such as Scizor + Shed Shell Toxapex + Scarf Landorus-T (shoutout Jordy for this idea), to fix this matchup.

:tyranitar-mega:
Sand has been a pretty prominent archetype in the meta thanks to the potency of Excadrill and Tyranitar is often used to facilitate it in that regard. However, outside of dedicated Sand builds Tyranitar also sees a decent amount of usage thanks to its ability to check and trap Heatran effectively, as well as it being one of the only Stealth Rock setters that can consistently beat Tornadus-T. I know that Dragon Dance Tyranitar has been seeing some usage on HO recently but I have no experience using it and only a little facing it so don't really know how effective it really is.

:alakazam-mega:
Mega Alakazam is a pretty niche Mega choice right now in my opinion, as I only really consider it when I'm specifically building with an opposing Rain matchup in mind. Whilst it is a fantastic source of Natural Speed control, its ability to break through teams is rather lacklustre, especially since it has to choose between hitting Water-type like Gastrodon and Manaphy, or hitting Pokemon like Aegislash and Mega Metagross with its third attack really hurts it. If you can support it properly though, and need a Mega which can almost autowin the Rain matchup whilst also acting as a decent Heatran check and speed control option, Alakzam is a pretty decent choice. In fact, I did an RMT with it, check it out and feed me likes please:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-ghost-1k-post.3664691/
Im not ashamed of this plug if im getting spending over an hour writing this im cashing in on all the likes i can get.

The Scarfers
:darmanitan-galar: :hydreigon: :kartana:

:darmanitan-galar:
This is broken. If you pair Darm-G with things that can force Toxic onto bulky Water-types (hint: mmeta/lop) it becomes so difficult to deal with. This thing defines the Scarfers in the tier, as for the most part, all Scarfers which cannot revenge kill Darm-G are invalidated outside of niche situations like I bought up earlier with the Landorus-T example.

:hydreigon:
I'm pretty sure Scarf Hydreigon is a product of Darm-G being so centralising, as it compresses a decent Ash-Gren check with a way to revenge kill Darm-G. This is pretty much my default choice for speed control on 90% of teams despite Darm-G being better, as it makes checking it + Ash-Gren a lot easier and gives me a way to reliably revenge kill Metagross, after a little bit of chip damage from something like a Rocky Helmet.

:kartana:
I haven't used this as much recently as the overwhelming amount of Rocky Helmet Tangrowth + Tornadus-T make it pretty lacklustre, however, it fits the criteria of outpacing and revenge killing Darm-G, but also goes one further and can outpace and revenge kill Scarf Hydreigon. I rarely ever consider Kartana though, unless the rest of my team is exceptionally well suited to forcing Toxic/Damage onto Tangrowth / Tornadus-T. If we can force Knock Offs onto them, thats even better and would likely be when I start to think Kartana is a good fit.

Of course there are other decent scarfers in the tier but these are really the main ones I have seen.

Of course balance isnt the only playstyle in the meta right now, but I do think its the best and would be curious as to what other peoples experiences are with these sorts of builds. I was going to talk about the various breakers you consider and how to fix your mmeta matchup too but didnt want this post to rival Jamvad's book so we'll leave that for another time.

Last edited:
Mega gyarados is also viable imo. The fact that it can use dragon dance in front of mons like g-darm, dracovish and greninja makes it a real threat. Sure its slow for a dragon dancer and sometimes youll need +2 speed to be able to sweep but its pretty easy to do so since its so bulky and can take a hit. Thanks to his ability mold breaker it can sweep safely without having to worry about clefable or quagsire. It also checks mons like dracovish, megagross, greninja, darmanitan(gotta be careful if its using u turn), lando-t , dragapult and slowbro. Ive been using it for the past 2-3 weeks and ive been really successfull with it.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, let's talk about the big man.

:ss/darmanitan-galar:

We all know what Scarf does at this point. It's a metagame defining set, after all. Teams either need to have a really solid defensive answer to it, or they have to have a really solid revenge killer for it. And ideally, a team has both. It's a top tier revenge killer, cleaner, and wallbreaker all rolled into one.

However, I actually don't think the Scarf set is in its best place right now. The rise of Scarf Hydreigon means that most teams have a solid revenge killer to it. Toxapex has been on the rise too, and yes that takes a lot from Earthquake, but it doesn't take it out from full so Pex can pivot in if its healthy and then pivot out to a resist or an immunity if Gdarm does click Earthquake, or just do its thing if Gdarm clicks anything else. The rise of Alomomola is doing this set no favors either, not to mention the problem it has always had of being extremely prone to all sorts of residual damage. Scarf is still extremely good, but its not quite as good as it has been.

However, Scarf isn't the only viable Gdarm set.

Choice Band
Take a look at your most recent Toxapex balance and ask yourself how it actually switches into a well played Choice Band Gdarm.

Chances are, it probably can't. BandDarm is an absolute monster against most of our balance cores. Using Tapu Fini? Nope, that's 2HKOd by Earthquake and has a decent chance of getting 2HKOd by Icicle Crash after Stealth Rock. Rotom-H? Sorry, BandDarm runs Superpower and takes it out after virtually any chip. Bulkarona has a chance to get OHKOd by Earthquake. Slowbro has a good chance to get 2HKOd after Rocks by EQ as well, and U-turn does 62% minimum. The only truly confident switch in that balance has access to is Alomomola, and that is forced to Protect to take two Earthquakes if Rocks are up, which the BandDarm player can use to get something in for free.

BandDarm is fairly odd to fit on a team, but the upside of using it is potentially tremendous. The metagame is really not prepared to deal with it defensively at all. It needs a very solid defensive backbone, as it is prone to revenge killing from most of the offensive metagame, but our balance cores can provide that support for it pretty comfortably. It's seen sparing use for a while, but this thing has the potential to tear things apart as the meta stands right now.

Z-Sets
I'm not going to go too in-depth in these because I haven't used them for a while, but these are the ultimate lures. It's all fun and games until you switch your Toxapex into a Icicle Crashing Gdarm and it gets nuked by a Gorilla Tactics boosted Tectonic Rage (yes, the Z move does get the Gorilla
Tactics boost). Obviously this Darm becomes rather mediocre once it burns the Z crystal, but in a metagame like this, where one sacked defensive mon can open up a huge threat, and you're in for a world of hurt. I was talking to Guard about this and he used this example of taking out Pex and doing heavy damage to Tapu Fini as a way to support Ash-Gren, for example.

These sets also have the potential to be extremely good in the right hands. They could be rather finicky to use, but, again, the upside is huge.

Zen Mode sets
These are bad. Don't try them.

This isn't meant to be a post in favor of a suspect or whatever. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would vote if we were to suspect Galarian Darmanitan. It's just a look at some of the potential other things that Gdarm can do. Your balance is not safe.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Since I kind of foresaw the Mega Metagross suspect outcome, I was fairly certain that we'd have to deal with the same old metagame again after the suspect test's conclusion, so just for the sake of escaping the boring reality, I have been experimenting a fair bit with a few move options on some Pokemon, and a few Pokemon in general as well. I will be posting the outcome of these experiments in this post, since I do think most of these are worth looking at.

Interesting Moves
:sm/darmanitan-galar:
Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Darmanitan-Galar @ Groundium Z
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
Stone Edge Galarian Darmanitan is a very interesting option in my opinion, solely due to the fact that it eases prediction significantly against a very common core that is utilized in order to safeguard a team against Galarian Darmanitan: Tapu Fini + Rotom-H. As Tapu Fini tends to invest in its special bulk much more often than its physical bulk, Stone Edge, similarly to Earthquake, has an 82.8% chance to 2HKO Tapu Fini after Stealth Rock, disregarding the higher chance to land a critical hit. The key difference with Earthquake however is that Rotom-H cannot punish you for clicking it by gaining a free switch. Thus, the next time you pivot your Galarian Darmanitan into battle, the opponent will know that he can't mindlessly pivot in their Rotom-H, leaving him forced to switch his Tapu Fini in again in order to scout, allowing you to capitalize by weakening Tapu Fini even more by whatever you choose to lock yourself into. Flare Blitz does not offer this particular dynamic, which makes Stone Edge an interesting pick on some builds in my opinion, since it allows you to weaken Tapu Fini more effectively whenever it's paired with Rotom-H or a Scarf Hydreigon as backup countermeasures. Obviously, Stone Edge is also capable of outright luring and OHKO'ing Rotom-H and Volcarona. Even though Stone Edge at the end of day does give free switchins to Mega Metagross and Garchomp most prominently, I still think it is a worthy choice on some builds, and pushing damage on Mega Metagross and Garchomp is more valuable than giving Rotom-H / Hydreigon / Flying-types free switchins regardless. Earthquake is still needed however, since you don't want to be walled by Toxapex.

Groundium Z serves an entirely different niche of course. This luring strategy works particularly well alongside Ash-Greninja, as you will almost always be able to Icicle Crash on Tapu Fini and Toxapex, feigning Choice Scarf in the process due to the damage rolls, and proceed to take them out with Tectonic Rage the next turn. It is a highly team-specific and support-demanding set however, and is obviously not as good as Choice Scarf. Nonetheless, it remains one of the most effective lures in the metagame.

:sm/metagross-mega:
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Toxic / Explosion
Toxic Mega Metagross is fairly mainstream by now, so it does not really qualify as a niche move anymore. I still wanted to highlight it however, as I do think it was one my more useful discoveries, which do not happen very often. Mainly, the thought process behind the move was to force poison upon Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Slowbro at the time when I started using it. Alomomola is a more recent target that also hates being poisoned as well, further strengthening the usefulness of the move. This allows you to eventually overwhelm these 'checks' with Mega Metagross itself or a teammate such as Galarian Darmanitan.

Explosion however takes this to an entirely different level by directly taking out checks after an attack, which is particularly handy in matchups where Mega Metagross's defensive prowess against Pokemon such as Tornadus-T / Mega Alakazam isn't needed. It has the potential to open up a hugely gaping hole in the opponent's backbone when the time is ripe, enabling Pokemon such as Galarian Darmanitan, Gliscor, and Kartana to become winconditions late-game. Obviously, it does come with a great drawback but is worth it in some builds regardless in my opinion.

:sm/Tornadus-Therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z / Heavy Duty Boots / Sky Plate / Fightinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power [Ice] / Taunt / Knock Off / Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog
Simply said, I have found Substitute Tornadus-T to be very useful. With one moveslot, you get the ability to completely negate Mega Tyranitar, deny any progress specially defensive Toxapex may hope to make, permit yourself some breathing room even if you miss a Hurricane, scout Garchomp and potentially bait its Z-Move or punish it for clicking Outrage, significantly ease prediction in general, shield yourself against faster threats such as Galarian Darmanitan, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Alakazam, and also ignore Sucker Punch mindgames against Bisharp and Mega Mawile. You get all of these benefits without much of a repercussion as well, since Regenerator cancels out the Substitute damage, and Tornadus-T in general forces a lot of switches, giving you plenty of opportunities to use Substitute. The second moveslot is super customizable as always. Heat Wave allows you to take out Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Magearna, Ferrothorn and Corviknight, Hidden Power Ice especially punishes Garchomp if it misses the Stone Edge, Taunt absolutely shuts down Toxapex, Knock Off still punishes Pokemon such as Heatran, and Rotom-H, and Z-Focus Blast immediately takes out Mega Tyranitar, and dents Heatran / Rotom-H / Ferrothorn / Magnezone as well. The big difference with Substitute however is that you needn't predict at all, whatever you may choose to run, which I find greatly improves Tornadus-T's capabilities as an offensive presence.

Foul Play is another tech I've been running on builds where I really needed a bulkier Tornadus-T that could also threaten Mega Metagross, boosted Garchomp and Aegislash, and take out boosted Dragapult in clutch situations. All in all, I do think the move has merits on builds due to offering/compressing a few things no other move can on Tornadus-T.

:sm/Ferrothorn::sm/Tangrowth:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore
Both Thunder Wave Ferrothorn and Stun Spore Tangrowth have proven to be severely clutch for me, most importantly due to how easy it becomes to take on Tornadus-T once it is paralyzed, but also due to the plethora of addtional Pokemon that are lured by the move such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Volcarona, Kyurem, and Kartana in Ferrothorn's case. Yellow Magic in general is broken, and these are no exceptions.

:sm/Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 Atk / 108 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance / Stone Edge
Rock Polish is a very underrated move on Landorus-T in my opinion, as most teams are only really packing Speed control in Galarian Darmanitan and Tornadus-T to force offensive Landorus-T out. Rock Polish takes advantage of this trend by negating Speed control other than Ash-Greninja completely, which turns it into a really good late-game cleaner since it has the bulk to find opportunities to set up a Rock Polish. Swords Dance alongside Rock Polish especially gives Landorus-T additional flexibility by turning it into a great wallbreaker as well, while Stone Edge sacrifices some of the wallbreaking prowess by turning it into an even greater late-game cleaner.

Underappreciated Pokemon
:sm/Alakazam-Mega::sm/magearna::sm/aegislash:
I think all of Mega Alakazam, Shift Gear Magearna, and Swords Dance Aegislash are huge threats to most of our builds that are flying under the radar. Mega Alakazam counterplay these days only really consists of pivoting with Pokemon such as Mega Metagross, Mega Tyranitar, and Scarf Hydreigon, all of which are very poor checks on the overall, which makes an efficiently played Mega Alakazam very dangerous to face. Shift Gear BoltBeam Z-Focus Blast Magearna completely steamrolls builds such as Tangrowth + Tapu Fini + Heatran, Slowbro + Ferrothorn / Assault Vest Tangrowth + Mega Tyranitar, and Hippowdon + physically defensive Toxapex + Scarf Hydreigon. It only really needs some chip on the likes of Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Rotom-H to turn into a wincondion against many teams currently, as Clefable, Aegislash, and Volcarona are fairly uncommon. Similarly, Swords Dance Aegislash is also sorely underprepared for, and breaks through teams fairly easily considering how easy it is to lure checks such as Hydreigon and Heatran with Close Combat, after which it often will find another opportunity to pivot in and clean up late-game with Swords Dance boosted attacks.

Last edited:
I think this might be the better Toxic Metagross set:

:sm/metagross-mega:

Metagross-Mega
Jolly Nature
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

The reasoning for EQ over TPunch is because pretty much everything that gets walloped by TPunch besides Corviknight is already crippled by Toxic and being walled by Heatran and Aegislash isn't exactly ideal. With this new set, Megagross is now only walled by Corviknight(lol who uses Skarmory anymore) and Mega Scizor.

On a side note, I think it's worth mentioning that the Galar starter HAs are finally available, meaning Libero Cinderace is finally going to be legal! And Grassy Surge Rillaboom and Sniper Intelleon too I guess.

HA Galar starters were released, how do you guys think they will fare? I think Cinderace is interesting as it can hit most bulky mons for super effective damage, it has utility in the form of u-turn/taunt/court change, and a scarf set could be used to RK MMetagross or Darm. On the other hand, I don't think Rillaboom will be that strong seeing how Tapu Bulu has little to no usage atm and those two share the same archetype.

HA Galar starters were released, how do you guys think they will fare? I think Cinderace is interesting as it can hit most bulky mons for super effective damage, it has utility in the form of u-turn/taunt/court change, and a scarf set could be used to RK MMetagross or Darm. On the other hand, I don't think Rillaboom will be that strong seeing how Tapu Bulu has little to no usage atm and those two share the same archetype.
:Cinderace:
Obviously the best one out of the bunch in viability, but compared to other similar Pokemon, I would say it’s still not too stellar.
Greninja is faster, not weak to Stealth Rock, and has more heart pounding ambiguity. It could be Physical, Special, Scarf, Mixed, and Ash.
And that heart pounding ambiguity can lead to Greninja setting up spikes, a move Cinderace also lacks.
Tornadus-T is also faster, has better Hazard Control, and of course Regenerator.
Nothing too amazing, but it will be good regardless for certain teams.
:Rillaboom:
Second to Libero on Cinderace, Rillaboom will definitely see the biggest spike in viability considering its placement before.
Unlike Cinderace, I feel like have a better time against its competition (granted, Cinderace’s competition are S, S-, and A ranked, while Tapu Bulu isn’t even ranked.
I say this mainly because of Rillaboom’s better match-up against Mega Metagross. Not being part fairy is now a plus since Rillaboom can tank a hit from Meteor Mash at least once. Rillaboom also has High Horsepower to bypass Grassy Terrain and hit Fire types with, has U-turn for momentum, and is also getting a Grass priority move (although isn’t usable currently, just that it’s going to be a good priority option).
:Inteleon:
Inteleon....uh

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
The best of the bunch will probably be Cinderace, and to that end, I think that this will probably be its most used set

:ss/Cinderace:

Cinderace @ Choice Band
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot

Me and a few people on the Discord were talking about this and we realized that Pyro Ball isn't really needed (unless you want to hit Aegislash) since HJK is crazy strong on its own, 2HKOing defensive mons like Hippowdon, Tangrowth, Rotom-Heat, and Corviknight regardless. U-turn also hits pretty hard, Zen basically erases Toxapex, and Gunk Shot decimates Fairies like Tapu Fini and even non-Fairies like Slowbro, who almost always gets 2HKO'd after rocks even with Leftovers (and always gets 2HKO'd if it's Helmet).

While I think Bulk Up sets will certainly be viable of their own accord and solidify a place within the metagame, I think the sheer power presented by Band that lets it shred through defensive cores and pair well with offensive threats like Mega Metagross and Ash-Greninja, and the fact that Defog is so easy to use in this metagame thanks to the ubiquitous nature of Tornadus-T will make it the most easily splashable in the long run.

That being said, it still has its issues, such as being slower than the likes of Torn and Gren, being weak to rocks if not running Boots, and having 4MSS that often leaves it open to being walled or taken advantage of. However, I think that it will carve out a rather decent place for itself within the current metagame

I will leave you all with a team I've built to highlight the capabilities of Banded Ace. It's a bit generic, but I think it's still quite usable regardless

https://pokepast.es/dddf0d9a491771d0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)