Other New Notable Egg Move Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corsola can now learn Icycle Spear and Head Smash on the same moveset, maybe we can throw Curse in for good measure. Long life to Hustlesola!

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not necessarily a new egg move combo, but Power Whip and Leaf Storm are both legal on Chlorosaur now. Gastrodon can also use Mirror Coat/Counter with other moves like Stockpile and Memento (lol).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magmortar can now legally have Mach Punch and Belly Drum. This is great for RU. It might be a gimmick set, but it is a good gimmick.

Magmortar is already extremely capable of forcing switch-outs, but now his opponent will have to guess if Magmortar is going to throw a ridiculously powerful Fire Blast or if he's going to Belly Drum. While Magmortar's base Attack (95) and Speed (83) are average by RU standards, he still packs enough punch after a Belly Drum to ourtright outspeed and OHKO over half of the tier. For a single Pokemon, I'd say that's not bad.

Volcano Drummer
Magmortar @ Fist Plate
Vital Spirit
Jolly | 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Magmortar now makes a fantastic cleaner thanks to being able to use Belly Drum alongside Mach Punch. The setup is simple. First, get Stealth Rock on the field. Second, swap Magmortar in on something that he threatens. Third, use Belly Drum as your opponent switches out. Fourth, sweep the entire enemy team and laugh as you do so.

You actually don't need Mach Punch to make this set happen, but with rocks support, it allows Magmortar to eliminate faster threats that would normally revenge him, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, as well as random scarfed slower Mons with a Fighting weakness or bad Defense.

+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 239-282 (82.13 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Aerodactyl: 266-314 (88.37 - 104.31%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 207-244 (69.69 - 82.15%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manectric: 253-298 (90.03 - 106.04%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anything slower than Magmortar is absolutely obliterated by Fire Punch. I'm not even going to bother with the calcs because I think it's pretty easy to imagine how much pain this guy dishes out when he gets his STAB.

Jolly vs. Adamant: The only real benefit you get by going Adamant over Jolly is being able to get an 100% to OHKO Typhlosion after Stealth Rock with Mach Punch. By going Jolly over Adamant, you get to outspeed Feraligatr, Gallade, Medicham, Absol's Sucker Punch, and weird Qwilfish variants which I think is worth it.

Earthquake vs. Alternatives: Earthquake allows you to OHKO kill Qwilfish, Lanturn, Slowking, Emboar, and Druddigon, making it vastly superior to his other options. Thunder Punch is bad because it will only allow you to OHKO Qwilfish, Feraligatr, and Poliwrath, and since Feraligatr is just going to Aqua Jet and kill you anyways and Poliwrath isn't that popular (from what I know), you're better off with EQ. Faint Attack is bad because it only gives you a 75% chance to OHKO Dusknoir (as opposed to the 37.5% chance from Fire Punch) and a 25% chance to kill Uxie (who outspeeds you and kills you anyways). Rock Slide is maybe the most viable alternative, as it will still allow you to kill Emboar and also allow you to kill Crustle after Stealth Rock, but Earthquake is generally still a superior pick.

The reason why I say that this version of Magmortar is a cleaner and not a sweeper is because his counters are pretty popular. Volcano Drummer's hardest counter is Unaware Quagsire. There is literally nothing you can do against that thing. This Magmortar also has trouble dealing with Accelgor, Whimsicott (due to Encore), Durant, Galvantula, Scyther, Entei, Sigilyph, Drapion, Uxie, Rotom, Feraligatr (because it probably has Aqua Jet) and Moltres, (who all outspeed Magmortar and KO him due to only being at 50% HP from Belly Drum) as well as Dusknoir (without Faint Attack) and Unaware Clefable (who will survive one/two of Magmortar's attacks and then OHKO/2HKO him back). Although this list of counters is fairly large, remember again that this is only ~29% of the Mons in the meta, and while all of them are of varying popularity, your average balanced team will (statistically-speaking) only have 1.74 of them on their team, meaning all you have to do is eliminate your foe's 1 or 2 counters and then you can sweep the rest (though I still prefer to call this cleaning).

Remember, again, that this is assuming that all of your opponent's Mons took NO damage prior to one Stealth Rock, which means that if you can actually land prior damage on many of the above Mons (aside from that first SR, of course), you can outspeed with Mach Punch for an KO. Therefore, this variant of Magmortar works really well on SubSeed or RoarTalk teams that are designed to spread damage among the enemy's team. Some really good teammates for Magmortar are Whimsicott and Steelix, as well as Rhydon and Quagsire to bait Grass-type attackers or Clefable to bait Steel-type attackers (Clefable can also put up Screens to help Magmortar come in).
Thx and added.

I'm just thinking about the horror that is Nasty Plot + Psycho Shift Togekiss.

Not even Status can save you from ParaFlinch...
Heal Bell is 100% superior as it provides team support and always works (if the opponent is already statused you can't use Psycho Shift). Statusing the opponent is no big deal when you have Nasty Plot boosted attacks to maul the opponent anyway.

I was wondering, would it be possible to get the opening post updated with the breed pairings/chains required to get these combos? I don't have a lot of experience hunting down Egg Moves, as I used to feel it was a lengthy addition to an already tedious breeding process. But with the new changes to breeding, it's become a lot more tolerable, and having the sources of these great move combos available in one place would be very welcome, in my mind.

To be fair Vanilluxe just got Freeze Dry, which helps with his limited coverage on top of the changes mentioned here. He's pretty improved all in all.
I agree with this. Also, Unfezant now has 115 base attack instead of 105, so he's actually a pretty fast, hard-hitting attacker with surprisingly good support moves (by NU standards).

As someone who only plays NU and RU, I think it'd be worthwhile to put these Pokemon in the OP, but I understand that most of the people on this forum stick to OU. Either way, thanks for posting these egg move chains. :)

Agonist

I'm just thinking about the horror that is Nasty Plot + Psycho Shift Togekiss.

Not even Status can save you from ParaFlinch...
This was already possible in Generation 5 through Honchkrow.

For Sableye, Metal Burst and Recover are legal together.

Unless I'm missing something, Haze + Foresight Blastoise and Foresight + Rapid Spin Kabutops were already available before XY (Venonat/Mudkip (Foresight) -> Surskit (Haze) -> Squirtle and Mudkip (Foresight) -> Squirtle (Rapid Spin) -> Kabuto).

Clefable can now learn Wish+ Aromatherapy. Has been a great support 'mon for me while simultaneously being able to wall virtually all Dragons (thanks to Unaware) as well as Tyranitar.

I did a search, and apparetly Illumise can have Growth + Encore + Baton Pass now.
This could be used with Sun to give a +2 boost in both attacking stats to any pokemon you want.

Which is cool, but then we remember that Shell Smash is also passable with a lot less hassle. If Illumise had any sort of bulk it might be worth it, but Prankster doesn't save it from being less viable than good ole Smeargle.

Close Combat + Quick Attack Pinsir.

Dunno if there was a way to do it before this, but I just bred one with both egg moves.

It's also 100% transfer, no if. Dunno if that makes a difference to anyone but this opens up so many posibilities for pokemon now.

Gonna try to go for Intimidate Scrafty with Ice Punc + Dragon Dance + Drain Punch.

Close Combat + Quick Attack Pinsir.

Dunno if there was a way to do it before this, but I just bred one with both egg moves.

It's also 100% transfer, no if. Dunno if that makes a difference to anyone but this opens up so many posibilities for pokemon now.

Gonna try to go for Intimidate Scrafty with Ice Punc + Dragon Dance + Drain Punch.
Pinsir's in in the 1st post. And I'm pretty sure Scrafty can breed w/ Smeargle.

Clefable can now learn Wish+ Aromatherapy. Has been a great support 'mon for me while simultaneously being able to wall virtually all Dragons (thanks to Unaware) as well as Tyranitar.
Not that big deal if you can give to it Heal Bell with BW2 tutors.

For those who like trololol kind of set, Lopunny has a bunch of useful egg moves. Some combinations were legal in B2W2 (like Encore + Copycat are both from Mr. Mime).
Egg moves are : Encore, Copycat, Storm throw, Fake out, Focus punch (I may try a Encore + Focus punch set lol), elemental punches and Switcheroo.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I did a search, and apparetly Illumise can have Growth + Encore + Baton Pass now.
Thx, added.

I was wondering, would it be possible to get the opening post updated with the breed pairings/chains required to get these combos? I don't have a lot of experience hunting down Egg Moves, as I used to feel it was a lengthy addition to an already tedious breeding process. But with the new changes to breeding, it's become a lot more tolerable, and having the sources of these great move combos available in one place would be very welcome, in my mind.
If you would like to provide me those chains fine, otherwise i am not really in the mood of finding them myself.

Clefable was already able to do this with Wish + Heal Bell (move tutor).

Unless I'm missing something, Haze + Foresight Blastoise and Foresight + Rapid Spin Kabutops were already available before XY (Venonat/Mudkip (Foresight) -> Surskit (Haze) -> Squirtle and Mudkip (Foresight) -> Squirtle (Rapid Spin) -> Kabuto).
You are right, removing both.

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts, but Mightyena can get Play Rough. Certainly helps with his fighting weakness, and also helps with the pokemon that once resisted it's move, such as dark types.

Not sure if this counts, but Mightyena can get Play Rough. Certainly helps with his fighting weakness, and also helps with the pokemon that once resisted it's move, such as dark types.
Sorry doesn't count that is not an egg move combo just a new egg move

Hydreigon can now learn both Head Smash and Dark Pulse. Tyranitar can have Outrage, Dragon Dance, pursuit, and stealth rock if he wants now. Gengar gets Haze, Disable, Perish Song, and some other very situational stuff. Breloom can now use Bullet Seed with Wake-Up Slap.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
May have some significance if medichamite gets banned from lower tiers - medicham can access trick and psycho cut now meaning you don't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of zen headbutt on choiced sets anymore. Of course, if medichamite is not banned this combo will have next to no significance.

Agonist

May have some significance if medichamite gets banned from lower tiers - medicham can access trick and psycho cut now meaning you don't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of zen headbutt on choiced sets anymore. Of course, if medichamite is not banned this combo will have next to no significance.
This was never illegal. Psycho Cut is an egg move, and Trick is a tutor move.

Hydreigon can now learn both Head Smash and Dark Pulse. Tyranitar can have Outrage, Dragon Dance, pursuit, and stealth rock if he wants now. Gengar gets Haze, Disable, Perish Song, and some other very situational stuff. Breloom can now use Bullet Seed with Wake-Up Slap.
It wasn't illegal on Hydreigon as of BW2, and Breloom could already use Bullet Seed + Wake-Up Slap since Gen 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)