Newts Art thread

I get bored alot and today I decided to start sketching my fave poke, then decided to add in his evolutions, I'm rather happy with the result so I'm posting it here and will continually update as I do more =D

This was my 1st pencil drawing, then I scanned it in my computer and cleaned it up a little

Then I added base colours and ended up with this

Once I'm done with the shading and the final tidy up I'll edit that in also.

Think I'll keep with the Kanto starter theme and do a Bulba montage next.

Ok updating 18 months later with what is nearly the finished product, all it needs is a background. Any criticism's are welcome if you feel I can improve it or there is anything that you think is out of place/incorrect

I 100% agree with you, what I'm hoping is when I clean up the linework and add some depth with shadows it will come back to life again

Well I almost forgot about this thread. I bought Photoshop a week ago so to test it out I decided to finish what I started here. This is what I had come up with.

One thing I did learn is to scan it in at a much higher resolution, the pixels on the artwork made it rather hard to keep smooth. I purposely left some of the scratchiness in there so it still felt hand drawn.

This is my first project of any kind with my new software so to help me improve, any comments or criticisms are welcome.

That actually looks really good, but the mouth on Squirtle bothers me. I don't know why, it just seems a wee bit sketchy.

Thanks. Guess I overlooked fixing that because I spent the last two days working on the left hand side of the pic. No point re-uploading it now, not until I have the background done and can post it as a finished item.

Squirtle in general just sucked. No matter how many times I reshaped the head. No matter how many different shades of blue I tried. I couldn't get him right. I'm satisfied with him but wouldn't say I'm happy though.

Edit:
Thought I'd try a different technique on something a little more simple. Compared to the 3 days (at an extremely casual pace) for the first one, this only took me 3 hours after scanning in.

.........................Biggest most awesomest crap JUST got real. I love monster hunter! That game is awesome! How about a Great jaggi next? Those things are a pain in the arse, but they are pretty cool looking.

As requested. Great Jaggi.

Background is just a photo of a cave I took, then run through about 5 different filters. Came up a treat IMO

.................Nice. Personally, the Great Jaggi is a little harder to see than the barroth. Maybe try the other way? They style you used on the barroth? But still, very good. :)

They are both the same style, except the Jaggi has 3 main colours running through him and it just ended up being darker than I imagined by the end. The red stripe is actually the same base colour I used in the Barroth. I could put a different background in to lighten it up but I personally like the finished product, its not as cartoony this time.

Anyways I won't be able to put anything up for about a week, wife is on night shift so I'll have my hands full with the kids. I'll just leave this here in anticipation of having it finished. Its going to be my new wallpaper :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)