NFL Quarantine Thread: 2020-2021 Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pre-game thoughts for Bengals and Browns:
  1. Joe Mixon's going to have a terrible time again. 27% of the Browns' tackles on the running back were behind the line of scrimmage, which ranks 4th in the league. Browns also were able to stop 50% of 3rd/4th down runs from becoming conversions.
  2. Baker Mayfield is not an NFL quarterback. Against a Baltimore defense, Browns O-line rank 4th in the league for run blocking and 12th for pass blocking.
  3. According to Football Outsiders, Cincinnati ranks 11th in defensive efficiency (12th in passing defense and 13th in rushing defense). Baker Mayfield's going to have to sharpen up on passing if he wants to keep Cleveland in this game.

My pre-game thoughts for Bengals and Browns:
  1. Joe Mixon's going to have a terrible time again. 27% of the Browns' tackles on the running back were behind the line of scrimmage, which ranks 4th in the league. Browns also were able to stop 50% of 3rd/4th down runs from becoming conversions.
  2. Baker Mayfield is not an NFL quarterback. Against a Baltimore defense, Browns O-line rank 4th in the league for run blocking and 12th for pass blocking.
  3. According to Football Outsiders, Cincinnati ranks 11th in defensive efficiency (12th in passing defense and 13th in rushing defense). Baker Mayfield's going to have to sharpen up on passing if he wants to keep Cleveland in this game.
i played against chubb in fantasy i just want the pain to go away

Fields is a better dual-threat presence, which is more splashable in today's game. Lawrence is best as a pocket passer, so the number of teams that can use him effectively are limited. Mayfield and Darnold are on the chopping block this season, so those two teams may end up taking QBs (probably Fields over Lawrence). If Colts tank, they would be the best option for Trevor Lawrence, though Browns' O-line didn't look too bad in Week 1 (Baker just stinks). Outside of that, I can't think of any other teams that may need a R1 QB draft. Even though it's Week 1, I think the most reasonable QB draft would be:

Pick 1: Justin Fields to Jets
Pick 3-4: Trevor Lawrence to Browns
Pick 6-10: Sam Ehlinger/Trey Lance to Colts
It's too early to suggest that Baker Mayfied is getting replaced this offseason. His rookie year was excellent and he had a sophomore slump. This is only year 3 in the league for him. Also Sam Darnold is not the issue with the Jets.
Also also a week 1 loss isn't enough to say the Colts are gonna tank but even so...we already have our QB of the future in Jacob Eason. If we suck and get a top 10 pick I don't want to take a QB. I want a defensive back or pass rusher to improve the D

X to Doubt
Not saying Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields wouldn't be better but Eason is a guy worth developing. He's raw but his talent is really there. The reason he slipped to the 4th round is because he's a project. But I'll say it right now that I think when Eason and Herbert reach their peaks Eason will be better

It's too early to suggest that Baker Mayfied is getting replaced this offseason. His rookie year was excellent and he had a sophomore slump. This is only year 3 in the league for him. Also Sam Darnold is not the issue with the Jets.
Also also a week 1 loss isn't enough to say the Colts are gonna tank but even so...we already have our QB of the future in Jacob Eason. If we suck and get a top 10 pick I don't want to take a QB. I want a defensive back or pass rusher to improve the D
Mayfield is average at best. He has trouble slinging the ball down the middle of the field when the pocket exists, and his best completions come from when he auto-rolls out of the pocket and throws on the run. It's a strategy that's extremely exploitable by good defenses but works miracles against bad defenses like the Bungles. If the Browns are looking to make Baker their QB of the future, he needs to improve his pocket game.

Sam was unfortunate to be drafted by a franchise with coaching turnover, but a lot of Sam's issue comes from him directly. Even when coming into the draft, he had noticeable problems with throwing on the run and reading defensive coverage (e.g. "I was seeing ghosts") and it seems like that hasn't improved this season. Darnold's optimal situation was to sit behind a veteran quarterback for a year, and then start Year 2. He was not a Day 1 starter and never should've been treated as such. Unfortunately, if he doesn't win at least 4 games this year, Jets *will* secure the #1 overall pick. At that draft position, Jets' front office would be dumb not to take either Fields or Lawrence with the #1 overall pick (preferably the former). Sam is just not a good quarterback currently.

Mayfield is average at best. He has trouble slinging the ball down the middle of the field when the pocket exists, and his best completions come from when he auto-rolls out of the pocket and throws on the run. It's a strategy that's extremely exploitable by good defenses but works miracles against bad defenses like the Bungles. If the Browns are looking to make Baker their QB of the future, he needs to improve his pocket game.

Sam was unfortunate to be drafted by a franchise with coaching turnover, but a lot of Sam's issue comes from him directly. Even when coming into the draft, he had noticeable problems with throwing on the run and reading defensive coverage (e.g. "I was seeing ghosts") and it seems like that hasn't improved this season. Darnold's optimal situation was to sit behind a veteran quarterback for a year, and then start Year 2. He was not a Day 1 starter and never should've been treated as such. Unfortunately, if he doesn't win at least 4 games this year, Jets *will* secure the #1 overall pick. At that draft position, Jets' front office would be dumb not to take either Fields or Lawrence with the #1 overall pick (preferably the former). Sam is just not a good quarterback currently.
rolling out is a bad strat? tell that to lamar, he punishes linebackers leaving coverage and coming to contain him all the time lol

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Sitting behind a veteran is a myth. If a guy is going to eventually be a starter then you start him and give him the experience he needs. He learns nothing valuable from the sideline.

clean

is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
Darnold no doubt has his own issues, but his situation is one of the worst in the league. Even if the Jets cut bait with him after this season, I think he will easily land with another team and get a second shot somewhere down the line.

Sitting behind a veteran is a myth. If a guy is going to eventually be a starter then you start him and give him the experience he needs. He learns nothing valuable from the sideline.
starting people on dogwater teams also just ruins them, so its best to let them sit behind a vet and learn the game. Moreso Aaron, less so josh rosen lol

Tell that to Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. Both have gone on record to say that sitting behind Brett Favre and Alex Smith helped their careers in the long run. It's easy to forget now but the scouting report of Mahomes was that he was a gunslinger and a hell of an athlete but had questions on his decision making much like Brett Favre. Sitting behind Alex Smith helped him iron out his issues and might go down as the greatest QB in the history of the game.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Yes Rodgers and Mahomes sat but they could’ve just as easily started and learned from the veteran who was behind him on the depth chart. The expertise of the player is not the same as live game experience and first team reps.

Ask Tarvaris Jackson how good it was he sat behind Favre in Minnesota? Did his career benefit greatly from that tutelage? What about Peyton Manning for Brock Osweiler? Did Brock learn a lot? Jimmy Garoppolo is a starter who makes a lot of boneheaded throws into coverages he didn’t read right? Did he learn anything from Brady who will go down as the greatest reader of defenses in history?

At the same time would Peyton have benefitted from sitting his first year? So his mistakes don’t break him? Did starting Luck immediately hurt his confidence? Would RGIII be less fragile of a player if he sat for a year?

There’s so many Football Truisms that just have no justification in reality, but “we want our player to develop so we’ll intentionally keep him from playing the game because he might lose his confidence” is the worst.

At the same time would Peyton have benefitted from sitting his first year? So his mistakes don’t break him? Did starting Luck immediately hurt his confidence? Would RGIII be less fragile of a player if he sat for a year?
Starting Luck early before they even had a real o-line led to one of this generation's best quarterbacks to retire early. Honestly, sitting people behind veterans largely depends on the type of person they are. It'll work out for some QBs but not for others. Having rookie QBs sitting some or all of their first year doesn't have any detrimental effect to their development while starting them too early when key pieces aren't there (most importantly o-line) is much worse.

rolling out is a bad strat? tell that to lamar, he punishes linebackers leaving coverage and coming to contain him all the time lol
Baker's only fast enough to escape pressure when the pocket breaks down while Jackson's ground speed is a legitimate threat on its own. In addition, Baker has a pretty weak pocket-passing game for some reason (his completion % in the pocket is much, much lower than it is on the run).

Starting Luck early before they even had a real o-line led to one of this generation's best quarterbacks to retire early.
Considering the QB options in Indy at the time, this is a bad take. It's not on the front office for starting Luck. It's on the front office for trading away a first round pick for Trent Richardson and drafting Philip Dorsett with a 1st. Grigson didn't draft a single starting caliber O Lineman. Trust me if we didn't start Luck then it would have been a repeat of 2011 when Peyton Manning was out.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Falcons LITERALLY forgot that it's only the kicking team that is barred from touching the ball before 10 yards on a kickoff. :bloblul:

:blobglare:
Darnold no doubt has his own issues, but his situation is one of the worst in the league. Even if the Jets cut bait with him after this season, I think he will easily land with another team and get a second shot somewhere down the line.
If Sam Bradford is any indication, Darnold will also get a third shot and a fourth shot and a fifth shot and eventually still be traded for a ridiculous sum while making tens of millions of dollars despite not even being any good (if he isn't any good; I'm not passing judgment here yet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)