UU Nidoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

Nidoking is one of the best wallbreakers in the UU metagame thanks to its excellent movepool and ability, Sheer Force. Sheer Force grants Nidoking a free 30% power boost to most of its main attacks and negates the recoil from Life Orb. It also has access to excellent moves such as Sludge Wave, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Superpower, and even Stealth Rock, making it very difficult to safely switch in to. Unfortunately, it suffers from a mediocre defensive typing, defensive stats, and a middling Speed stat, leaving it somewhat frail and slow.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Sludge Wave
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Superpower / Stealth Rock / Substitute
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Timid

Moves
========

Sludge Wave is Nidoking's strongest STAB move, allowing it to 2HKO Florges, something not many other special attackers can do. Earth Power is Nidoking's secondary STAB move, which hits Pokemon such as Raikou and Aggron harder than any other move it has. Ice Beam hits nearly everything immune to Earth Power super effectively, easily OHKOing Honchkrow and 2HKOing most other Flying-types, as well as hitting Flygon, Goodra, Hydreigon, and Noivern harder than any of its other moves. Thunderbolt hits Suicune harder, but nothing else relevant, and misses out on a lot of the targets Ice Beam hits. Superpower is used to hit Blissey and Umbreon, as they otherwise wall Nidoking completely. Stealth Rock can be used on predicted switches if your team lacks the space for it, as Nidoking can easily find opportunities to set it up. Substitute can be used to ease prediction and allow Nidoking to stay in a turn longer when it would otherwise be forced out, while also punishing sacrifices by taking out the Pokemon it was supposed to and forcing the next Pokemon that comes in to deal with Nidoking behind a Substitute.

Set Details
========

The EVs maximize Nidoking's offensive potential by making it as fast and strong as possible. A Naive nature should be used with Superpower to allow Nidoking to 2HKO Blissey and Umbreon, some of the few Pokemon capable of withstanding Nidoking's other moves. If Nidoking is not using Superpower, a Timid nature should be used to preserve Nidoking's Special Defense. Running a Modest nature is viable, but Nidoking is then outsped by threats such as neutral natured Roserade, Porygon-Z, Toxicroak, Kingdra, and opposing Timid Nidoking.

Usage Tips
========

As Nidoking is an incredibly powerful wallbreaker, it often forces switches which should be taken advantage of, especially if it is using Stealth Rock or Substitute. As Nidoking occasionally runs a Choice Scarf set, it is possible to play a risky bluff by sending Nidoking out against a Pokemon it would be able to revenge kill and taking advantage of the situation accordingly. Switching Nidoking in without U-turn or Volt Switch support can be difficult, so use its resistances to common moves such as Close Combat and immunity to Toxic and all Electric-type moves, as well as immunity to Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========

Volt Switch and U-turn from Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos and Hydreigon are great to give Nidoking an easier switch-in, and both have somewhat decent synergy with it, though both Nidoking and Hydreigon have trouble breaking through Suicune. Honchkrow is immune to both Ground- and Psychic-type moves and can pressure Pokemon such as Blissey and Umbreon. Pursuit support from Pokemon such as Mega Absol and Mega Aerodactyl can be very helpful for beating Alakazam as well. Mega Houndoom is an excellent cleaner that appreciates Nidoking's ability to wallbreak, and also provides an immunity to Psychic-type moves. Sticky Web and Tailwind are both excellent moves to alleviate Nidoking's mediocre Speed, and Pokemon such as Galvantula and Tornadus can easily set them up.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf can be used to patch up Nidoking's mediocre Speed, but Nidoking is weak without a Life Orb, and it is much better at wallbreaking than revenge killing. A physical Choice Scarf set can be run as opposed to a special one, but it is also weak and has worse coverage. Hone Claws can be run with Thunder or Sucker Punch, Blizzard, and Earth Power, but it relies on a boost and is extremely unreliable. Toxic Spikes can be used over Stealth Rock, but Stealth Rock is just better in general. Sucker Punch can be used on the Life Orb set to beat weakened Pokemon, but Stealth Rock, Substitute, and Superpower are all more useful to Nidoking's main job, which is wallbreaking.

Checks & Counters
########

**Blissey**: Blissey completely counters any set lacking Superpower, and can even outlast those that do by spamming Soft-Boiled until Nidoking has enough Attack drops to the point that it does negligible damage.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon has the bulk to take any of Nidoking's attacks, but relies on Wish + Protect to beat it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Suicune only truly fears the rare Thunderbolt and can hit back with Scald or Hydro Pump. Gastrodon can be 2HKOed by Sludge Wave, while Vaporeon, Milotic, and Jellicent are 2HKOed by either Earth Power or Sludge Wave, so they have a hard time switching in.

**Revenge Killers**: Victini and Hydreigon can both easily revenge kill Nidoking, but are weak to one of Nidoking's common moves, Earth Power and Ice Beam, respectively, so they have a very hard time switching in, and can only check it once.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax can counter any set without Superpower due to its massive Special Defense, but is easily worn down.

**Hippowdon**: Hippowdon has the bulk to live an Ice Beam and OHKO back with Earthquake, but is 2HKOed by every move Nidoking runs besides Sludge Wave.

Overview
########

- One of the tiers best wallbreakers
- Sheer Force
- Excellent coverage
- Medicore Speed and typing

Life Orb
########
move 4: Megahorn / Stealth Rock / Substitute
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Timid

Moves
========

- Sludge Wave is Nidokings strongest STAB, and allows it to 2HKO the best special wall in UU, Florges
- Earth Power is the secondary STAB, beats Pokemon like Raikou etc
- Ice Beam hits nearly everything immune to Earth Power super effectively, OHKOing Krow and the others
- Megahorn to 2HKO Umbreon and Mew
- Focus Blast hits Umbreon and Snorlax hard but Megahorn is better for its ability to hit Mew
- Fire Blast likewise hits nearly everything immune to Sludge Wave really hard
- Thunderbolt can hit Suicune and stuff but not really worth it otherwise, other moves are too important
- Stealth Rock can be used on forced switches

Set Details
========

- Basic EVs
- Modest for more power Timid to outspeed standard stallbreaker Mew, Modest Roserade and Porygon-Z, Adamant Toxicroak, neutral Kingdra, and to tie Jolly Heracross and opposing Nidoking
- Specific mention of 0 Atk IV so Umbreon has a harder time winning with Foul Play, as Umbreon is one of its best counters

Usage Tips
========

- This set needs to be used to force switches and take advantage of them, so it requires good prediction
- As Nidoking recieves no Life Orb recoil, it can bluff a Scarf as long as your opponent does not notice the increased damage, so take advantage of this
- Switching in can be hard, but Nidoking actually has a decent defensive typing that lets it switch into Pokemon like Heracross without EQ
- During team preview, look over what Nidoking can beat 1 on 1 and keep it around long enough to do that. If Nidoking can not break anything by itself, it can still maintain offensive pressure by forcing out key weakened Pokemon, and a free turn for Nidoking means something is taking a huge hit

Team Options
========

- Volt Switch or U-turn are great to give Nidoking an easier switch in, and both moves happen to hit most of the Pokemon that will him super effective
- Mega Ampharos
- Hydreigon
- Honchkrow
- -insert Pursuit trappers-
- Mega Houndoom
- Gastrodon
- Kyurem
- Loves Sticky Web/Tailwind but is too slow for Trick Room. Anything that lets it overcome 85 Speed is welcome

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

Sludge Wave is Nidokings strongest STAB, and allows it to 2HKO the best special wall in UU, Florges
- Ice Beam hits nearly everything immune to Earth Power super effectively, OHKOing Krow and the others
- Thunderbolt can hit Suicune and stuff but not really worth it otherwise, other moves are too important
- Megahorn can be used (without a -Atk nature) to hit Umbreon and Mew pretty hard

Set Details
========

- Basic EVs
- Modest for more power Timid to outspeed Modest Scarf Porygon-Z, +1 neutral nature Kingdra (tie with +1 +Speed), and to tie Jolly Scarf Heracross

Usage Tips
========

- This Nidoking is weaker than the LO set, and that difference has to be kept in mind before you start trying to destroy cores.
- As Scarf Nidoking already has to be locked into 1 move, it doesn't mind using a physical one as much. This means should you run one of Superpower or Megahorn, keep it hidden until you absolutely have to use it
- Both STABs have immunities, so it's very risky to use them when those immunities are still around. If your opponent knows you're Scarfed, and you see they have a Honchkrow or Hydreigon, it's almost always better to Ice Beam, since even doing a little damage to whatever comes in is better than locking yourself into a move they're immune to

Team Options
========

- Volt Switch or U-turn are great to give Nidoking an easier switch in, and both moves happen to hit most of the Pokemon that will him super effective
- Mega Manectric
- Mega Ampharos
- Hydreigon
- Honchkrow
- Mega Houndoom
- Gastrodon
- Kyurem
- Obviously Scarf set doesn't need Speed control as much, it just needs Pokemon to help break down opposing cores

Other Options
########

- Focus Blast
- Modest on LO
- Physical Scarf
- Hone Claws
- Toxic Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Checks & Counters
########

- Mew
- Suicune
- Umbreon
- Azelf
- Kyurem
- Snorlax
- Gastrodon
- Reuniclus
- Vaporeon
- Milotic
- Jellicent
- Hydreigon, Sharpedo and Victini can easily OHKO but not switch in
- Hippowdon lives an Ice Beam and KOs back

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I would mention Sludge Bomb in either Moves or OO for the 30% chance to poison targets, but stress that it's less powerful and is blocked by Chesnaught

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would mention Sludge Bomb in either Moves or OO for the 30% chance to poison targets, but stress that it's less powerful and is blocked by Chesnaught
Sheer force negates all secondary effects so that would be useless. Slash focus blast / fire blast / sub for the LO set and put stealth rock in other options.

I think Megahorn > Focus Blast. Either move 2HKOs Umbreon, so the real question is whether you want to be walled by Mew or by Snorlax, and I'd rather crush Mew.

I don't think Fire Blast is too useful either. It's worth a mention in moves, but the only relevant thing it hits much harder is Heracross, which is hit pretty hard by Sludge Wave anyway.

scarf wants fire blast, since it doesn't play as a breaker 'n fire-type coverage is much better to lock into (though scarf nido is p.meh overall imo). also being a main slash, megahorn shouldn't be in other options o_o

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Substitute should definitely have higher priority than Focus Blast on the Life Orb set. I honestly wouldn't even slash Focus Blast in; just briefly mention it. You should also move the 4 Defense EVs over to Attack for Megahorn.

I've also used a physical Choice Scarf variant, which should probably be added as a set too.

Did everything except

I've also used a physical Choice Scarf variant, which should probably be added as a set too.
I'm not so sure about this. I think one of they key reasons to use a physical set is Sucker Punch, and to a lesser extent Hone Claws, which you of course can't do with a Scarf.

I'm starting to doubt the viability of special Scarf myself. Sure, it's faster, but Nidoking misses so many KOs without a Life Orb and other Pokemon are faster and have STABs without common immunities.

I don't mind trying out a physical Scarf set at all.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's completely viable. I've used it. And it's not like you have any other sets to put over it.

I've tried physical Scarf and I think it's a compete waste. Both STABs have immunities, you can't boost or run Sucker Punch, the most important things that would make a physical Nidoking worth using. It's just not that good. I understand you're QC but I just have to respectfully disgaree with you.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
the reason you'd run physical scarf is because it has a completely different set of checks/counters. it's viable and while I'm not sure it deserves its own set, it should probably be mentioned explicitly in oo

the reason you'd run physical scarf is because it has a completely different set of checks/counters. it's viable and while I'm not sure it deserves its own set, it should probably be mentioned explicitly in oo
Yeah, I'm going to put it in OO, but I want someone from QC to look it over first

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
venomoth in team options

take slowbro out of checks and counters since it is cleanly 2hkoed by sludge wave and doesn't ohko back with scald

why is Umbreon listed as a pro for Focus Blast

>0 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 211-250 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
>252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 200-237 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sure you don't take LO recoil but surely a not getting a guaranteed 2HKO esp after SR + Protect when the other does is not a pro

22:34 RotomPoison yeah about that
22:34 killerkingler scarf is just outsped by other common scarfers
22:34 RotomPoison limitless said something about physical scarf nidoking
22:34 killerkingler ?
22:34 RotomPoison in the nidoking thread
22:34 killerkingler has a lot of surprise factor i guess
22:35 LightningLuxray Limitless recommends some weird stuff sometimes...
22:35 killerkingler never thought of it though
22:35 RotomPoison he wants me to make it a set
22:35 LightningLuxray Idk probably just be like "I'd like some more QC input before I add it"
22:35 LightningLuxray Cause it is kinda out there
22:35 Epikhairz limitless u gonna take that from these guys
22:35 LightningLuxray That's what I do if I'm meh on something
22:35 Epikhairz u have to go lay down the law
22:35 RotomPoison i did but no one has replied
22:35 LightningLuxray PM ppl
22:35 RotomPoison no
22:35 HypnoEmpire You need to VM QC members
22:36 LightningLuxray Or VM
22:36 RotomPoison thats why i asked here
22:36 LightningLuxray w/e
22:36 LightningLuxray Same dif
22:36 killerkingler id really like limitless or someone else to drop a reason why physical scarf deserves anything but OO
22:36 RotomPoison yeah
22:36 LightningLuxray He's idle ppl
22:36 RotomPoison no sucker punch
22:36 RotomPoison or hone claws
22:36 LightningLuxray He's not even on 0_0
22:38 killerkingler hone claws lol
22:38 killerkingler at least it boosts gunk shot
22:38 killerkingler if nido gets that
22:39 killerkingler oh :[
22:39 killerkingler queen is better anyway imo
22:39 SwampLink nah
22:40 SwampLink queen is some pussy shit
22:40 SwampLink literally
22:40 killerkingler i like bulkier teams so i prefer queen
22:40 RotomPoison modest king is better than offensive queen
22:40 killerkingler but modest king is outpaced by like all offensive mons
22:41 Magcargo2 As a wallbreaker, king is better
22:41 killerkingler i feel like king is a liability against offensive teams
22:41 killerkingler just becuase of its speed and piss bulk
22:41 CoolStoryBrobat Glad Smashbrosbrawl isn't around to go on a tirade for 20 minutes about how Modest King > Timid
22:41 CoolStoryBrobat Cause he did that in the UU room on PS
22:42 killerkingler why is modest king better?
22:42 killerkingler i used to run it but everyone told me to stop
22:42 LightningLuxray b/c Timid doesn't outspeed much
22:42 HypnoEmpire Modest is better imo
22:42 killerkingler what does it kill with modest its missing out on with timid?
22:43 LightningLuxray Nothing really
22:43 LightningLuxray That's kinda the problem
22:43 *** Stanford_Rejectee_HSA is now known as Eo_
22:43 LightningLuxray Is it doesn't net any specific KOs with Modest
22:43 killerkingler so it seems like a toss up
22:43 LightningLuxray But it doesn't really outspeed anything notable with Timid
22:43 LightningLuxray So.... It's really kinda w/e
22:43 killerkingler other nidoking
22:43 LightningLuxray Yeah
22:43 *** Eo_ is now known as Eo
22:43 LightningLuxray That's the main thing
22:44 CoolStoryBrobat Tying with Hera and Kingdra's pretty important in my opinion
22:44 CoolStoryBrobat Rather than losing to both
22:44 killerkingler ^^
22:44 killerkingler timid king imo
22:44 killerkingler i think brobat just sold
22:44 LightningLuxray Yep

QC?

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Overview
########

- One of the tiers best wallbreakers
- Sheer Force
- Excellent coverage
- Medicore Speed and typing
- Is hard countered by certain Pokemon no matter what it chooses to run (Mew and to an extent Umbreon can stall it)

Life Orb
########
move 4: Megahorn / Focus Blast / Substitute
item: Sheer Force
nature: Hasty / Timid / Modest

Moves
========

- Sludge Wave is Nidokings strongest STAB, and allows it to 2HKO the best special wall in UU, Florges
- Megahorn to 2HKO Umbreon and Mew
- Focus Blast hits Umbreon and Snorlax hard but Megahorn is better for its ability to hit Mew
- Stealth Rock can be used on forced switches

Set Details
========

- Basic EVs
- Modest for more power Timid to outspeed standard stallbreaker Mew, Modest Roserade and Porygon-Z, Adamant Toxicroak, neutral Kingdra, and to tie Jolly Heracross and opposing Nidoking
- Specific mention of 0 Atk IV so Umbreon has a harder time winning with Foul Play, as Umbreon is one of its best counters

Usage Tips
========

- This set needs to be used to force switches and take advantage of them, so it requires good prediction
- As Nidoking recieves no Life Orb recoil, it can bluff a Scarf as long as your opponent does not notice the increased damage, so take advantage of this
- Switching in can be hard, but Nidoking actually has a decent defensive typing that lets it switch into Pokemon like Heracross without EQ (Also mention that Nidoking can switch into most Electric-, Fairy-, and Poison-types)
- During team preview, look over what Nidoking can beat 1 on 1 and keep it around long enough to do that. If Nidoking can not break anything by itself, it can still maintain offensive pressure by forcing out key weakened Pokemon, and a free turn for Nidoking means something is taking a huge hit

Team Options
========

- Mega Manectric
- Mega Ampharos
- Venomoth
- Hydreigon
- Honchkrow
- Mega Houndoom
- Gastrodon
- Kyurem
- Loves Sticky Web/Tailwind but is too slow for Trick Room. Anything that lets it overcome 85 Speed is welcome

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

Sludge Wave is Nidokings strongest STAB, and allows it to 2HKO the best special wall in UU, Florges
- Megahorn can be used (without a -Atk nature) to hit Umbreon and Mew pretty hard

Set Details
========

- Basic EVs
- Modest for more power Timid to outspeed Modest Scarf Porygon-Z, +1 neutral nature Kingdra (tie with +1 +Speed), and to tie Jolly Scarf Heracross

Usage Tips
========

- This Nidoking is weaker than the LO set, and that difference has to be kept in mind before you start trying to destroy cores.
- As Scarf Nidoking already has to be locked into 1 move, it doesn't mind using a physical one as much. This means should you run one of Superpower or Megahorn, keep it hidden until you absolutely have to use it
- Both STABs have immunities, so it's very risky to use them when those immunities are still around. If your opponent knows you're Scarfed, and you see they have a Honchkrow or Hydreigon, it's almost always better to Ice Beam, since even doing a little damage to whatever comes in is better than locking yourself into a move they're immune to
(Mention that this set acts as a revenge killer rather than a wallbreaker)

Team Options
========

- Mega Manectric
- Mega Ampharos
- Hydreigon
- Honchkrow
- Mega Houndoom
- Gastrodon
- Kyurem
- Obviously Scarf set doesn't need Speed control as much, it just needs Pokemon to help break down opposing cores

Other Options
########

- Stealth Rock
- Physical Scarf
- Hone Claws
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Checks & Counters
########

- Mew
- Suicune
- Umbreon
- Azelf
- Kyurem
- Snorlax
- Gastrodon
- Reuniclus
- Vaporeon
- Milotic
- Jellicent
- Hydreigon, Sharpedo and Victini can easily OHKO but not switch in
- Hippowdon lives an Ice Beam and KOs back
(Also mention Starmie, Lanturn and Blastiose)
A couple things here and there(check the quote for details), but overall really good job RotomPoison !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)