Status
Not open for further replies.

3DS XL Price

NA: $190
EU: 200€
UK: £170
JP: ¥17000

Notable Improvements over the Original 3DS

Screen Size: The 3DS XL has a top screen that measures in at 4.88 inches, and a bottom screen which measures in at 4.18 inches. Both screens are 90% larger than the original 3DS model.

Battery Life: The 3DS XL has an improved battery lasting up to 6.5 hours when playing 3DS games, and upwards of 10 hours while playing original DS games.

DS Games Will Be Playable at 1:1 - For those of you that own a 3DS, you may be aware of the blur factor that occurs on some games for the current 3DS model, specifically the DSi enhanced games (B/W etc). With the 3DS XL, those games will now be played at a 1:1 ratio, which would look similar to how Black and White would look on a DSi. This is perhaps the best feature of the 3DS XL. Keep in mind there will still be a large black box around the screen, however it will be a better alternative to the current way of playing DS games on a 3DS with their native resolution (hold down select when starting the game.)

• JP and EU models of the 3DS do not include a charger. NA versions will.

Upcoming 3DS Games:

• New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Available Now
  • Pokemon Black 2 / Pokemon White 2 - Available Now
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - Available Now
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star - Available Now
  • Animal Crossing 3DS - Q2 2013
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - Available Now
  • Heroes of Ruin - Available Now
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening - TBA 2013
  • Castlevania: Lord of Shadows - Mirror of Fate - Q1 2013
  • Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle - Available Now
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited - TBA
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - November 20th, 2012
  • Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate - March 2013
  • Fluidity: Spin Cycle - December 27th, 2012

Future Releases

• Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes (Nicalis) (Announced) US: Fall 2012
  • AeroPorter (Level-5) (Announced) US: 2012, EU: November 2012
  • Alien Chaos 3D (Reef Entertainment) (Announced) EU: Summer 2012
  • Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) (Announced)
  • Arc Style: Soccer 3D (Arc System Works) US: Available Now
  • ATV Wild Ride 3D (Announced)
  • Bomb Monkey (Renegade Kid) US: Available Now
  • Castle Storm (Zen Studios) (Announced)
  • Cave Story (Nicalis) US: Available Now
  • Coaster Creator (Big John Games) US: Fall 2012
  • Crashmo / Fallblox (Announced) US: November 22, EU: November 2012
  • Crimson Shroud (Level-5) (Announced) US: 2012, EU: December 2012
  • The "Denpa" Men: They Came By Wave (Announced) US: Available Now, EU: 2012
  • Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 (Genius Sonority) (Announced)
  • escapeVektor (Nnooo) (Announced)
  • Escape! Zombie City (Arc System Works) (Announced)
  • Fluidity: Spin Cycle / Hydroventure: Spin Cycle (Nintendo) (Listed) US: December 27, EU: 2012
  • Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D - Space Recipe for Disaster (Tanukii Studios) (Announced)
  • Gunman Clive (Bertil Hörberg) (Announced)
  • Ikachan (Nicalis) (Announced)
  • Jett Rocket Super Surf (Shin'en Multimedia) US: Q1 2012
  • Johnny Impossible (UFO Interactive) US: Q3 2012
  • Liberation Maiden (Level-5) (Announced) US: 2012, EU: Out now
  • Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia) (Announced) US: 2012, EU: 2012
  • NightSky (Nicalis) US: Available Now October 25, EU: June/July 2012
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) US: Available Now, EU: December 7
  • Rhythm Hunter: Harmo Knight (Nintendo) (Announced)
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward Technologies) (Announced)
  • Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) (Announced)
  • The Delusions of Von Stottendorf (Abylight / Delirium) (Announced)
  • Tokyo Crash Mobs (Nintendo) (Announced) US: Early 2013
  • Unchained Blades (XSEED Games) (Announced) US: Q3 2012
  • Vampire Crystals (Shanblue Interactive) (Announced)
  • Viking Invasion 2: Olaf's Return (BiP Media) (Announced)
  • Yatagarasu (Nicalis) (Announced)
  • Zombie Panic in Wonderland (Akaoni Studios) (Announced)

Virtual Console

• Columns (Sega | Game Gear) (Listed) US: Q1 2012
  • Defenders of Oasis (Sega | Game Gear) (Rated by ACB)
  • Kirby's Block Ball (Nintendo | Game Boy) (Listed) US: Out now
  • Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Nintendo | Game Boy) (Listed) EU: Out now
  • Kirby's Star Stacker (Nintendo | Game Boy) (Listed) EU: Out now
  • Gradius (Listed) US: Q4 2012
  • Shantae (WayForward Technologies | Game Boy Color) (Rated by ESRB)
  • Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (Sega | Game Gear) (Rated by ACB)
  • Sonic Blast (Sega | Game Gear) (Rated by ACB) US: Summer 2012, EU: Out now
  • Sonic Drift 2 (Sega | Game Gear) (Listed) EU: Available Now
  • Sonic Labyrinth (Sega | Game Gear) (Rated by ACB) EU: Out now
  • Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (Nintendo | NES) (Announced) US: December 27
  • Vampire: Master of Darkness (Sega | Game Gear) (Rated by ACB)
  • Waro Land II (Ninendo | Game Boy) (Listed) US: December 20, EU: Out now
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo | NES) (Listed) US: November 22

All credit goes to Brazil from NeoGaf.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
SUPERMARIOLAND3 YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

The first and second were worth every single cent. This third one will be an auto-buy.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Cool new thread.

Ugh, take Star Fox 64 3D off of the must buy list lol. It is not a "must" buy. It is more like a "if you can find it cheap in a bargain bin and you don't already have it on N64 or Wii yet" buy. I bought it at launch and it was a complete waste of my time and money.

The white 3DS XL is what I'll be getting. Don't like the others much.

So many good games are coming out! Paper Mario and Professor Layton are what I'm most looking forward to. Not sure about New Super Mario Bros. 2 though. The trailer wasn't that impressive to me, though I did think the amount of coins you can get is ridiculous. Seriously, why even have a life count anymore. If you are getting 100 coins that easily it might as well be infinite...

Already launching a new 3DS? I have no reason to buy it, the improvements don't justify the price tag if you already have a 3DS, especially considering the lackluster game list that comes with the 3DS.

So I played the Kingdom Hearts 3D demo. It basically reaffirmed everything I thought about the game.

It looks great and plays unclunky compared to 358/2 which was just terrible.

But at the same time soooo many gimmicks in the gameplay. It seemed you could more or less ignore them (flowmotion/spirit links specifically) but they just seemed both like easy mode attacks. It could just be that the enemies are super weak as it was a demo, but flowmotion seemed like it was invincible to attacks, or at least very hard for an enemy to hit if not using a special attack for knocking you out of it.

Combat outside of those things seemed fine, but if the game requires you to use it a lot, that's a bummer. The command deck system seemed interesting, though.

Anyone else's thoughts?

I don't like the sound of the new 3DS model -- I already find the 3DS, which is a bit bulkier than the DS Lite, ever so slightly oversized. The bigger screens are nice for some, I guess, but I can't see myself being able to play comfortably with it, and my hands aren't that small. When it's retailed in Australia I might see if I can find a demo model to test how it plays, but at this point I'm probably not gonna get one unless my 3DS breaks from hardcore Animal Crossing play or something. None of the features are particularly alluring. I own a charge pad for my 3DS anyway, and the battery life improvement is marginal; the increased size is problematic for me. That's about it as far as major changes go. :/

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
@Xaqwais:Yeah I agree that everything seemed rather easy. Didn't make things harder by adding cura into the mix in the command deck.

I think that there is a smoother flow of combat thanks to how it is set up, however one thing I noticed is that I never really got to appreciate half of the commands because by the time I used them, all the enemies in the area would be KOed. I'm hoping that there'll be some good difficulty levels to play this on so that combat isn't THAT easy. I mean, I didn't even have a hard time against any of the bosses in previous games on proud mode with the exception of mysterious figure (and I was doing it under-leveled to, mind you.

Flowmotion was a bit of a nice touch and when certain points in battle occurred it seemed more like action commands from KHII, which was actually refreshing.

Personally, I only wanted two things from the redesign:
1. DS Lite level battery life
2. Larger 3D viewing angles

It doesn't seem to be delivering on either right now

The 3DS XL is pretty much for people who hasn't bought one yet and wants to shell out the extra $30 for bigger screens.

What was really funny was watching everyone freak out about. lol Seriously it isn't that big of a deal.

3DSXL is absolutely terrible, but I wanted to come and post that I eagerly await the Fire Emblem 3DS game and maybe the 3DS Smash Bros.

there is no real point to the 3DSXL, I don't even know why they're pushing it.

Really looking forward to Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon, Paper Mario, and NSMB2 though, I need to get back into my Mario fixation.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand why Nintendo's trying to make "XL" versions of their game systems. They did it with the DSi too, and when I tried to play one of those I was very uncomfortable with its size in every way (including the screens). I'm fine with my normal 3DS.

Nintendo, do you know when to stop?

I don't understand why Nintendo's trying to make "XL" versions of their game systems. They did it with the DSi too, and when I tried to play one of those I was very uncomfortable with its size in every way (including the screens). I'm fine with my normal 3DS.

Nintendo, do you know when to stop?
The DSi XL did really well in sales and reviews. The larger size appeals to people with larger hands who feel uncomfortable after periods of time on a smaller device. 3DS games will also look better on this device because of the bigger screen.

I don't see why they should stop if their products are doing well. This device will appeal to the people that do not already own a 3DS and want to buy one. Many people held off at the start due to the lack of games, and this gives them a reason to buy them.

If anything you should be happy this is being released. The more units sold could mean more titles from developers. Just look at the vita. It's selling horribly and doesn't have a good line of exclusive games. The majority of them are console ports.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The DSi XL did really well in sales and reviews. The larger size appeals to people with larger hands who feel uncomfortable after periods of time on a smaller device. 3DS games will also look better on this device because of the bigger screen.

I don't see why they should stop if their products are doing well. This device will appeal to the people that do not already own a 3DS and want to buy one. Many people held off at the start due to the lack of games, and this gives them a reason to buy them.

If anything you should be happy this is being released. The more units sold could mean more titles from developers. Just look at the vita. It's selling horribly and doesn't have a good line of exclusive games. The majority of them are console ports.
Have to agree with this. Although, I still think that the additional cricle pad built in would have been a great benefit and may have convinced people to buy one even if they already had a 3DS.

The current price for one in the UK is seemingly £180 by the way.

Yeah, I played the KH demo also and agree with what others have said. It's shaping up to be a fantastic, great-looking game with a lot of depth. Problem is, a lot of that depth looks like it won't need to be used unless there's some really brutal enemies/difficulty levels in store for us. And for the record, although it doesn't serve any gameplay purpose whatsoever, did anybody do what I did and spend like an hour running around the first area with Flowmotion because it makes you feel like such a badass?

I actually find $30 pretty reasonable for having larger screens, better battery, etc. Though, it's far from pocket-sized...

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the way Nintendo made such a massive stereoscopic display, though, if there is one thing the 3DS needs, it's more RAM. Having around 512 MB will probably let you run as many apps as you want at once. :D The GPU and CPU were already pretty good IMO.

I love Nintendo but... the 3DS has already fallen in price. Now they're making a new model....

AND YOU CAN STILL PRACTICALLY COUNT THE NUMBER OF NOTABLE 3DS EXCLUSIVE GAMES ON YOUR FINGERS.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pretty much my say on the matter. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS but... just come ON already!!

I'll skip the complaining
The DSi XL did really well in sales and reviews. The larger size appeals to people with larger hands who feel uncomfortable after periods of time on a smaller device.
Not sure how legitimate this test was but: RESULTS: [Reference: I can press the left shift key and the printscreen key with the same hand simultaneously]
Your hands are larger than 82.5% of all men in the nation and 0.380 inches larger than the average male hand length.
Your hands are larger than 37.5% of all men in the nation and 0.050 inches smaller than the average male hand width.
And I think that a person who complains about the size of the 3DS is either suffering from a medical disorder or just trying to find something to complain about
3DS games will also look better on this device because of the bigger screen.
I think that the 3DS games and videos look great when considering the smooth movement and impressive 3D effects. However, the closer you look at something like RE Revelations, the more graphical flaws you see (as with many other games and consoles) which means making the screen larger could potentially backfire for the purpose you specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)