Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK everyone shut the fuck up and listen:

With the new releases on Eshop tonight, the three best games on the Game Gear are now available on the 3ds.

Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya

Defenders of Oasis

Tails' Adventure

You can get them all for about $14 total. This is the best 14 dollars you will ever spend in your life, so just stop hesitating and go get them.

Shining Force II is like a Fire Emblem; army vs army, and you control your individual unique units in a top-down strategy battle. Unlike FE, there's no perma character death and no weapon wear (except for the really special gear). But there are promotions, spells, new equipment every town, and general SRPG awesomeness. The game goes from battle to battle with little exploration involved. Give it a break; it's probably older than most of you reading this. $3.99

Defenders of Oasis is a as classic an RPG as classic gets, set in an arabian nights setting. You befriend a genie, he's cool as fuck, you fight the evil that attempts to invade the land (it was 1992, you had to have been there). Random encounters, turn based, unforgiving combat (in some parts at least). Combat does dry out toward the endgame, save for the genie's spells, but by then you're so invested you'll want to finish anyway. $3.99

Tails' Adventure is the best sonic spinoff there is (spindash can suck it). You play as Tails and only Tails, in a platforming-exploring-backtracking find-the-next-equipment-so-you-can-progress castlevania-metroid love affair. Instead of being a complete pussy like in recent games, Tails throws bombs and has a remote control robot that turns into a GODDAMN SUBMARINE. While still being a total badass, the animation is adorable. You're gaining new and cool equipment all the way to the end. $4.99

For me, these games were my childhood so it was an instant buy. Nostalgia goggles aside, I seriously suggest you check them out, especially if you've never got a taste of early 90's video games.

The hell are you still reading this for? Go buy them, play them, and I'll not go as far to say to love them, but appreciate how things were done 20 years ago.

I picked up shining force II because I had just enough balance left for it and turn based strategy is the best. It's a bit confusing in that there aren't "player turns" where you move everyone on your team and then "enemy turns" where they move. You alternate moving units in a strange order which makes it a little confusing. Other than that it is similar to playing FE1 and even looks very similar.

I picked up shining force II because I had just enough balance left for it and turn based strategy is the best. It's a bit confusing in that there aren't "player turns" where you move everyone on your team and then "enemy turns" where they move. You alternate moving units in a strange order which makes it a little confusing. Other than that it is similar to playing FE1 and even looks very similar.
Like the table top RPGs, other Shining Forces, and even the Final Fantasy Tactics games, it goes by individual unit initiative, not player turns. The units with high agility, AGI, will go first when a battle first starts. Nobody slow will get "lapped" by a fast unit though, so after the first round it kinda doesn't matter. Smart unit movement (don't block a choke-point with your first move) will help when you have slow, heavy hitters that seem to always be behind.

Can I just say that you'd make a fantastic reviewer or perhaps just someone to promote games? You got me pumped up for this stuff and then I remembered I had no money lol.
Nah, that's just a testament to how strongly I feel about these games. Also, it's just $14, I'm sure you can scrounge that up somehow. Do extra chores? Somekinda gift money coming up soon?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Finally got around to getting a Blue XL. I will never go back.

All my 3D games, (Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, Colors 3D, Sakura Samurai, Crimson Shroud, Rising Board, Minigolf Touch, NES Kid Icarus, Pushmo, NES Kirby's Adventure, and Pokedex 3D Pro), look so much better at nearly double the screen size. It's been kind of surprising getting a better look at all the character models. I even like the non 3D games, (like Pokemon and Ages/Seasons), on the larger screen. The 3D is also much easier on the eyes. The battery life seems longer so far. And its got these nice little rubber nubs on the top screen that look like they're going to prevent those horrific scratches that the outline of the bottom screen carved into the top screen on my old Red 3DS.

The sole downside seems to be that it definitely is too big to fit in most pants pockets. But I have a lot of cargo and carpenter pants.

If anyone's looking to buy a 3DS, its definitely worth the extra 40 bucks.

Not waiting on the Pokemon versions? Sure, they haven't been officially announced for the West yet, but special Pokemon edition consoles have been confirmed for us in each generation so far.

I've never played Shin Megami whatever, but that $30 basically pays for a game, so essentially a buy 2 get 1 free...and I do plan on getting FE:A one of these days...might have to hit up ebay for a code, or Gamestop usually leaves open boxes out there since they like to store even new games behind the counter and repack them once you purchase...

If i have the fire emblem 3ds is there any way i can register the game that came with it? Because otherwise that's bullshit

Apparently you don't get points for it if it came in a bundle, but could I delete it and redownload for free to trick it into thinking I bought it? If so, would backup saves work even if I deleted the game?

EDIT: Forget all of that, the page on nintendo's site says it will work with the bundle

I believe that digital games automatically get registered if you connect your 3DS do your Club Nintendo account. I would assume that you would also get points for the bundled game, but I would also suggest asking through the Club Nintendo support. I sent in a question once and got a prompt and helpful response so, you might as well go for it.

So SMTIV is out and anyone who has Fire Emblem has no excuse not to get it because Nintendo is giving away money. So far its pretty good, I'm not a fan of some of the revamped demon designs but gameplay-wise it's close to as good as Nocturne so far.

Picked up Fire Emblem again. My first time playing a Fire Emblem game seriously. I just finished chapter 18, so I unlocked a few side quests to keep me busy. Most of my units have terrible stats to I used the seals to put them back to lvl 1 again and grinding it out. My favourite handheld game since Pokemon Black. The only thing I'd like to see is another game mode other than campaign. E.g. preset challenges where you need S rank or something.

Has anyone pick up the Mario and Luigi game? Always loved those games since superstar saga.

Picked up Fire Emblem again. My first time playing a Fire Emblem game seriously. I just finished chapter 18, so I unlocked a few side quests to keep me busy. Most of my units have terrible stats to I used the seals to put them back to lvl 1 again and grinding it out. My favourite handheld game since Pokemon Black. The only thing I'd like to see is another game mode other than campaign. E.g. preset challenges where you need S rank or something.

Has anyone pick up the Mario and Luigi game? Always loved those games since superstar saga.
Yeah, basically every map in awakening being a rout objective was kind of disappointing, the varying objectives in 9 and 10 were pary of what made me like them so much. I guess it's better than 6, where literally every chapter was capture the throne.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just got around to playing mighty switch force 2, and my god it does NOT disappoint. I really enjoyed the first one--it's an amazing action-platformer with tons of originality. The second one switches the formula up a bit but it is still absolutely amazing. Hands down THE BEST thing you can download from the eshop. Pick up this one and the last one for probably around $10.

Also, did I mention the fucking SOUNDTRACK? Absolutely legendary.

jrp

Banned deucer.
I picked up code of princess on the eshop with the $30 credit

it's a pretty decent game, the gameplay isn't very groundbreaking but the soundtrack/dub is excellent

An all black 3DS XL may be releasing in NA this weekend.

From a Canadian superstore flyer. I hope it's real. (and not limited to CA)

canada 4 master race

ehhh but honestly if you're in the market for a 3ds, wynaut get one of those awesome pokemon ones that will undoubtably be localized? i mean, sure, you might not want to broadcast being a pokemon fan to the general populace, but i can't help but think that you'll be considered manly by the world if you're playing any nintendo system in public.

canada 4 master race

ehhh but honestly if you're in the market for a 3ds, wynaut get one of those awesome pokemon ones that will undoubtably be localized? i mean, sure, you might not want to broadcast being a pokemon fan to the general populace, but i can't help but think that you'll be considered manly by the world if you're playing any nintendo system in public.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T get localized, plus I don't really care for either of them. I've wanted an all black or all white since launch. It's a shame we didn't get either because "those colors don't sell well in NA."

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i just got a 3ds. Please name the top 10 games that i should get. (i already have animal crossing new leaf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)