NO STATUS

Art by Arhops

The premise of this metagame is simple, all Status moves are banned. That means only moves in the Physical or Special category may be used.

What does that change?
  • No stat boosting, apart from abilities and certain attacking moves
  • No entry hazards
  • No recovery, apart from abilities, items and draining moves
  • Assault Vest is viable usable on everything
Clauses
- Moody Clause: Players cannot use a Pokémon with the Moody ability.
- OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
- Sleep Clause: Players cannot induce sleep to more than one Pokémon on the opposing team at the same time.
- Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

Bans
- Aegislash, Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Dialga, Genesect, Greninja, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom
- Blazikenite, Gengarite, Griseous Orb, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Mawilite, Salamencite, Soul Dew

You can battle each other on the main server via Ubers.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, first thing I notice, no hazards! That's going to be fun. OMotM August?

Edit: Some moves will gain a lot of viability now, Nuzzle, Chatter, PowerUpPunch, Charge Beam and Dragon Tail can all be used while they're normally mostly used because of their secondary effects.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hyper offense will be cool because no status moves but also no hazards, so I'd like to see how it works out.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Well if Scald is your god, the abilities like Natural Cure are your Jesus. I foresee a lot more bulky offense becoming really popular and stall basically dies. As mentioned in the OP, Assault vest becomes an amazing item, and might be worth looking into how good it really is more in-depth.

So basically I can see Serperior being extremely good in this metagame. Pair it with with something to take care of special walls and then Leaf Storm to beat everything.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
So basically I can see Serperior being extremely good in this metagame. Pair it with with something to take care of special walls and then Leaf Storm to beat everything.
I'd also like to add that +2 Giga Drain is going to hit hard and give serp plenty of opportunities to recover, which is something a lot of other mons might not have access to.

But yeah, mons that can boost or recover with non-status moves are going to be the kings of the meta.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Code:
    {
        name: "OU (No Status)",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['OU'],
        validateSet: function (set) {
            var problems = [];
            if (set.moves) {
                for (var i = 0; i < set.moves.length; i++) {
                    var move = this.getMove(set.moves[i]);
                    if (move.category === 'Status') problems.push(move.name + ' is banned due to it being a Status move.');
                }
            }
            return problems;
        }
    },

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't even bother. Special walls are severely crippled because of the lack of status moves and Serperior can probably boost past like everything with he exception of Assault Vest Goodra, especially with Sap Sipper

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Don't even bother. Special walls are severely crippled because of the lack of status moves and Serperior can probably boost past like everything with he exception of Assault Vest Goodra, especially with Sap Sipper
And even then, if you're actually worried about Sap Sipper Goodra stopping Serperior, just have it either boost to like +2 and then hit it with a Dragon Pulse, or just pair it up with Azu with Play Rough and ZardX

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Will Sketch Moves be allowed?
Since Sketch is a status move and renders these moves technically impossible.

dayum no credit of me ;_; Also, I'd like to add that Natural Cure and Psycho Shift are the only ways to improve status. Would Psycho Shift see any niche use?
edit: pain split!
also lol i forgot

Threats:

Mega Metagross: this poke usually doesn't carry any set up moves and just spam STAB moves and coverage.

Mega Lopunny: similar to Mega Metagross, but faster and less power.

Serperior: one of the very few pokes that can set up with attacking move.

Tornadus T: probably the best user of Assault Vest or Life Orb just because of Regenerator.

Slowbro: same reason as Tornadus T but can abuse Scald.

Keldeo: most notable Scald abuser with Secret Sword to hit Special tanks.

Talonflame: even though it can't Roost, it serves as a primary revenge killer in an offensive metagame.

Landorus T: It can't set up Rocks, but I can see the Scarf set being popular here as a Knock Off or U-turn user.

Mega Charizard Y: no Stealth Rock means that this can freely switch in without worries.

Latios, Gengar, Kyurem Black and other pokes that doesn't rely on set up or recovery can be great here also.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something like Gothitelle, in addition to a revenge killer will probably be a good partner for Serperior. I imagine most things that can stop Serperior defensively being quite passive, and thus being trapped by Gothitelle, even if they it can't Trick a choice item, it can still hit their weaker defense with Psyshock, so it can probably weaken them enough (since they have no recovery) for Serperior to kill, while a revenge killer like Talonflame, Weavile or a scarf user (those sound quite dangerous here!) can help Serperior pick off faster threats like the mentioned Pokemon, or things like Tornadus-T.

With Scald+Regen being pretty good in this meta, and Sucker Punch being also good, what can both take on the Scald spam and packs a powerful Attack stat to abuse Sucker Punch?

Cacturne @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Low Kick
- Thunder Punch

It's time for Cacturne to shine. It can take on the scald spam because of its ability Water Absorb, and with 115 attack, a neutral Sucker Punch is going to hurt. The set is pretty simple, CB for power, Water Absorb for Scald, max attack and adamant so you can hit super hard, max speed because you aren't tanking invested hits. Sucker Punch, while a bad move normally on choiced Pokemon, in this meta, it is nearly always going to hit, except when the opponent switches, plus its hard hitting STAB(no knock off rip), Seed Bomb for STAB, can be used against a switching target, and takes on other Scald spammers like Alomomola and Keldeo. Low Kick for steel types like Bisharp and Magnezone, plus having a move to OHKO defensive T-Tar and Darkrai is nice I suppose. While Drain Punch is an option because of the health you get back, its not as important since no LO, and Low Kick gets the guarenteed OHKO on T-Tar and Darkrai, while Drain Punch doesn't. Finally Thunder Punch may seem odd, but with Talonflame also being great in this metagame, we can't let it get free switches now can we? T-Punch assures that you OHKO Talonflame, making sure it doesn't Brave Bird sweep your team.

But since the meta was just created, I can't really tell if this will be good or not, so only one way to figure out!

Seems like a skill based om. You sure pokémon like talonflame , charizard pokémon who usualy take a lot of damage or are weakend by hazards/statuses won't get Overpowered here?

Ununhexium

Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Whatever Your Little Heart Desires

In a world dominated by priority Brave Birds and Sucker Punches and Grass-type Natural Cure users to take on Scald and Shedninja, how do you handle all of this. The answer is simple. Out-prioritize them, and kill them with Fire. Literally. Sacred Fire nails all the Shedninja and hits 2 of the at most 3 viable Natural Cure users in the meta (no, Blissey and Chansey don't count). Extreme Speed out-prioritizes all of the Sucker Punch users and disrupts their attacks, and can 2HKO Talonflame. The last move doesn't even really matter lol

EDIT: ALSO THEY DON'T HAVE HEAL BELLOR AROMATHERAPY LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)