Notable Jrpg's

I've acquired a bit of spending money and I have decided to use it to buy a game. I am a fan of Jrpg's, and I would like to know of any good ones that you have played. I own an Xbox 360, a Nintendo DS, and a Nintendo Wii.

I've acquired a bit of spending money and I have decided to use it to buy a game. I am a fan of Jrpg's, and I would like to know of any good ones that you have played. I own an Xbox 360, a Nintendo DS, and a Nintendo Wii.
Wii
Muramasa: The Demon Blade [Alot more action oriented then Odin Sphere tough]
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

[GC]
Skies Of Arcadia Legends
Tales Of Symphonia
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Old Door
Baiten Kaitos
Baiten Kaitos Origin

DS
World Ends With You
SMT: Devil Survivor
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
Lunar Knights (kinda?)
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon DPPt

Wii [Virtual Console]
Super Mario RPG: The Legend of The Seven Star
Paper Mario
Secret Of Mana
Fianl Fantasy I is supposed to come out.

[GBA]
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Riviera the Promised Land
Fire Emblem (7)
Fire Emblem (8) he Sacred Stone
Mother 3 [Import only]
Fire Emblem (6) The Sealed Sword/Maiden of the Dark [Import Only]
Tactic Orgre
Breath of Fire II

There are plenty more but these are the on on top of my head right now...=o

Tough some are more strategic or action oriented, I still posted them since many people consider or bunch em up with RPG's.

Anywho they are many other but these are the one I took interest in and played...Im sure you can find something on the DS, it has a huge librairy! Good Luck!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Odd that I missed this topic.

Xbox 360
- Tales of Vesperia
- Lost Odyssey

Those two are considered the best on the platform. I haven't started Lost Odyssey yet, but I've put 100 hours into Tales of Vesperia (40 hours main quest, 60 hours post-game). As a bit of background, I almost never do post-game content. The game is an absolute blast and can be found for $29.99 or less.

Wii
If you have a GameCube controller and memory card, pick up:
- Tales of Symphonia
- Skies of Arcadia Legends

Symphonia is what got me into the Tales series. One of my favourite games of all time. Vesperia is technically a better game, but Symphonia has a place in my mind as it's what I started with. Skies of Arcadia I have yet to start (sitting on my shelf for two years x.x) but I heard awesome things about it.

DS
The DS has a crapton of RPGs. The World End With You, Chrono Trigger DS, Dragon Quest IV, and Dragon Quest V are all high quality RPGs I see mentioned a lot. Not to mention the DS and Lite have the GBA slot so you can play through the Golden Sun series and Final Fantasy IV to VI.

Firestorm's recommendations are all extremely solid choices. If you like the Kingdom Hearts series, the only other game I could recommend (and this is only if you have lots of friends to play it with) is Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days.

Since Firestorm's talk of it was a little lukewarm having not played it yet, I'd definitely post in support of Lost Odyssey - as someone who plays RPGs exclusively for the plot, I thought Lost Odyssey's storytelling made it a must buy. It was interesting, too, in that via dream sequences there's some stories-in-a-story written by some Japanese short story writer I'm not particularly familiar with that are really quite remarkable, in addition to the actual game having a pretty decent, if cliche, plot. The gameplay in many ways feels like the game could have come out a decade ago, which could be a positive or negative depending on what you're looking for.

Final Fantasy IV's DS version is also a good purchase even if you've played it on another console previously - the graphic and sound upgrades are nice, but even gameplay wise it's the best combination of difficulty and extras of any of the FF4 releases, especially because of New Game+.

Hmmm, for the 360, might I recomend Start Ocean: the Last Hope, aka Star Ocean 4? Another lovely game in a fantastic series. Eternal Sonata is also a notable there.

For DS, look no further than TWEWY (the World Ends with You). It's been recomende before in this thread, but it's just that good. The conrtols can be a bit tricky when you're first getting used to them, but it's still a great battle system. Popping Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories into that GBA slot down there is also a great way to burn some time.

Download a SNES emulator and play your legitimate backed up JRPGS:

Tales Of Phantasia (english patched by DeJap of course)
Final Fantasy 6 (Ps1 and GBA versions are the same game)
Final Fantasy 4 (This or the DS version are both acceptable)
Final Fantasy 5 (Ps1 and GBA versions are the same game)
Chrono Trigger - No matter where you play this it's pretty much the same.

Genesis/Megadrive: This system has only one Jrpg worth playing:
Phantasy Star 4, if you can get past the weird layout you'll love this game.

PS1 is the god of jrpgs:
Breath Of Fire 4: A decent, jrpg with some innovative ideas but a small budget
Arc The Lad 1 - 3: Decent jrpg series
Azure Moons: Kind of like a Harvest moon/diablo game. Weird but cool
Breath iof Fire 3: A classic rpg that feels more classic than snes jrpgs.
Chrono Cross: A sweet game with 9999 characters. It's a very good game, don't compare it to Chrono Trigger though.
Digimon world: Very addictive, I feel kind of dirty talking about it on a pokemon website.
Final Fantasy 7/8/9: If you haven't played them you probably should.
Grandia: Fuck yeah
Legend of Legaia: A little kiddie but still fucking awesome.
Legend of Dragoon: Feels a little gimmicky but is fairly badass.
Legend of Mana: Kind of like an action rpg sort of. It's a good game.
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (you need a translation patch to play this)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Revelations Persona: I didn't play this but my friends did and they liked it.
Saga Frontier: Feels like an awesome snes RPG but it's on the PSX. Must play.
Star Ocean: The Second Story: Scifi Fantasy, awesomeness.
Suikoden: Worth a play but only if you can't get your hands on the other ones.
Suikoden 2: You don't need to play the first one to get this one. WAY BETTER THAN No. 1.
Tales of Destiny/Eterna: "Tales of" are always amazing: (Note tales of symphonia 2 on wii is the exception to this rule).
Vagrant Story: Feels a little like fallout 3, very good.
Valkyrie Profile: Looks really nice and has the content to back it up.
Wild Arms 1 - 2: Shithouse graphics but awesome gameplay and storylines.
Xenogears: The definitive mecha fighting game.

I might post a ps2 list but I don't think that ps2 games are really all that well emulatable so you might as well save your money and try to buy these games which will probably be about as fun as the ps2 ones and cheaper.

Also, I don't know if you guys noticed but there is a difference between SRPG and JRPG.

SRPG's mentioned by other posters:
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
SMT: Devil Survivor

But seriously though, if you were going to play an SRPG you'd want to play Disagea first, it's amazing!

Disgaea is both JRPG and SRPG, and it's fantastic. Start with that if you like SRPGs too, otherwise go for any of the Dragon Quest games.

I'm adding more votes to my favorite game ever, Disgaea (personally I'd recommend the PS2 or PSP versions, as the lack of voice-overs for the DS version really sucked the life out of the game imo), as well as most of NIS America's other PS2 games, the Dragon Quest/Warrior series (any of them really), but especially re-recommending the Wild ARMs series, especially 2. The graphics of the older games aren't that great, seeing as they were made for the PS1 (although 1 got a PS2 remake iirc), but the storylines and game play are excellent.

I'm a fucking retard. I didn't list and of the PS1 DQ games.
OP: If you're going to play Dragon Quest I recommend Heavenly Bride for DS, it's a good introduction to the series.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmmm, for the 360, might I recomend Start Ocean: the Last Hope, aka Star Ocean 4? Another lovely game in a fantastic series. Eternal Sonata is also a notable there.

For DS, look no further than TWEWY (the World Ends with You). It's been recomende before in this thread, but it's just that good. The conrtols can be a bit tricky when you're first getting used to them, but it's still a great battle system. Popping Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories into that GBA slot down there is also a great way to burn some time.
I've played those, and I can't say I'd recommend either of them over Vesperia. I really do need to try Lost Odyssey soon though. And Valkyria Chronicles. Those are my next two RPGs. I've been hearing lots of impressions like Teifu's when it comes to those short stories.

On the OP's consoles: BoF II on the GBA, but you'll have a hard time tracking it down. Any Final Fantasy (well, I've yet to play the first three). Chrono Trigger I HAVE to get myself when I have the money, but I'd recommend it on reputation alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)