np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 6 - Purple Haze - Hoopa-U is now banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Then we're just going to have to disagree on this, because I do see a fair number of similarities, and do generally feel like whoever plays better throughout the course of the game is the winner when I both play and watch the suspect ladder. One thing I think is important to note is that the onus is not on the users of these stall teams to be making plays and whatnot, but on the person attempting to execute their offense. Stall players will generally play neutrally, whether or not they win is dependent on if their opponent played well or not, which I'm fine with.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Now, as a conclusion, I'll look at the metagame with Hoopa-U in it, compared to the one without it.

Metagame with Hoopa-U:
  • Primarily offensive.
  • Reliant on prediction to pick up kills.
  • Pokemon are forced to be sacked more frequently.
  • Disadvantages pokemon with less than 80 base speed.
  • What can't be checked defensively can be checked offensively.
  • Mispredicts are usually costly.
Metagame without Hoopa-U:
  • Large focus on defensive teams and how to break them.
  • Pokemon are forced to be sacked infrequently.
  • Reliant on which breakers are on your team to maintain a good W/L.
  • Bulk and power are more important, speed is less important.
  • Significant numbers of teams will endeavour to check as many threats as possible, and aim to seal up games from the start.
  • Mispredicts are usually less costly.

As far as I see it, Hoopa-U speeds up games by making the metagame more offensive. It makes the outcome of a game more about certain crucial turns rather than what you have for a specific core, although often these plays will be a shot in the dark.
I agree with this assessment. You have painted a pretty clear picture of why hoopa should be banned. If your entire argument is that pokemon games should come down to a select few turns where a prediction made by each side is a huge tipping point in the game then I don't know what to say. A good player should want to reduce the risk of losing a game as much as possible and encouraging 50/50 choices is an unhealthy aspect of a meta. If you want a metagame dominated by 50/50 choices then you are wrong. I'd like to highlight this quote in particular

Significant numbers of teams will endeavour to check as many threats as possible, and aim to seal up games from the start.

and say that this is what I'd call strong teambuilding. Is ignoring threats with the gameplan of not facing them your idea of strong building? I'm seriously questioning how you can write those points and not see how it overwhelmingly supports a Hoopa-U ban.

I think "the ladder is a bit more boring without Hoopa-U" isn't really an argument that's convincing anyone, yet it's an argument that's being alluded to in places, and masking the irrelevance of that argument by trying to link the pace of the meta to skill requirements is wrong too, regardless of whether it's in a pro or anti ban stance. Like sure, if the game just isn't fun with Hoopa-U (or any potential suspect) in it, then that's a sign that it's probably causing problems and at least worth a suspect, but saying that it wouldn't be fun without is close enough to basing a vote on what becomes balanced/broken when it's banned, which is specifically not a consideration the way I understand the process.

Showing awareness of any problems with the current meta and demonstrating how they wouldn't be solved by a Hoopa-U ban, or even demonstrating that there aren't any significant problems with the current meta while going beyond just stating that the pro-ban arguments are incorrect: that would be a successful anti-ban argument. I don't really need to re-state my stance on what Hoopa-U actually does in the game, given that I did so on one of the first few pages and largely agree with a lot of the standard pro-ban points that are in nearly every pro-ban post (having played a while on the suspect meta, just not enough to get reqs because real life is unfortunately too busy for me, none of my views have really changed much), other than to say that I've not really seen any successful anti-ban arguments in that regard nor could I make one myself. I'm not saying every anti-ban argument so far has been invalid - that would be really ignorant of me - but what I am saying is that I think that the anti-ban side have only shown that the Hoopa-U metagame is acceptable for some people, rather than actually saying why the ban meta wouldn't be better.

In which case, I think my view revolves around the line of whether we ban things because the meta might be better without them, or whether we leave them because it's sort of fine with them. In theory, anything that causes an imbalance in the meta might be ban-worthy, but in practice we've found that just unbalancing a play style or two isn't always enough to make something completely broken. I don't mind playing in the Hoopa-U meta. I've not had serious problems playing the meta with it even since the specs set started being a thing, but would I prefer the meta without it...? Almost certainly. And I think that's where a lot of people sit in this. Naturally both sides have it exaggerated - the ban side make out like it was almost a quick ban target, which it clearly wasn't, while the anti-ban side make out like no switch-ins in the game is okay, which it's not - but in it's essence banning Hoopa-U would be, in my opinion, a case of just making the metagame smoother (as opposed to removing something that might make the game unplayable, which Hoopa-U doesn't entirely). And personally, I'm still all for that.

EDIT:

Due to how common the Sableye template became this suspect, I really don't think the ladder is one that fosters skill.
This is what I was referring to when talking about the pace and skill argument. Sure, Sableye (and stall builds in general) isn't always the hardest thing to use, but you're basically saying here that Sableye builds always promote a less skill-based metagame. I'm sure some people might agree with that but I don't think the problems with that kind of viewpoint/argument need spelling out because it's just not really a good/valid point that says anything about whether Hoopa-U is healthy or not, it just says that you don't like the slightly slower meta without it.

Last edited:
As for predictions, this does not have to be a series of 50/50s, predictions are more than that. Furthermore, Hoopa-U can't come in multiple times per match due to how physically frail it is, so the game shouldn't be decided by guessing around what Hoopa will do. But yes, in an offensive metagame, if the opponent makes a really obvious play, there will be more room to punish that, I can only view this as a good thing. I agree with the aspect of reducing risks being an element of solid play, but making nothing but risk-free plays will ultimately kill the enjoyability of the game.

Not everything can be assured, but at least with Hoopa-U you can claim the game went the way it did because of the plays you made. With the current ladder, the sequence of events following team preview can often be said to be less important than team preview itself. If you thought I was just talking about standard balance builds when I said "Significant numbers of teams will endeavour to check as many threats as possible, and aim to seal up games from the start", this was not the case and I worded it wrongly. I was referring to the very similar, but just varied enough Sab builds that have come out of the woodwork, which ultimately aim to win from team preview and utterly shut down as many pokemon as possible, which are detrimental to the competitive nature of the game as a whole.

Hoopa-U doesn't cause complete randomness, but what it does do is give you a solid chance against to get a hit off on any style of team, provided you play it correctly. What I'm really trying to do here is to reduce the number of times team preview is the biggest factor in whether you win or lose. I don't believe risks should be so high that you can just flip a coin 2 or 3 times a match, and be in dramatically different situations based on that, but then I don't believe Hoopa-U, despite forcing some risks, brings the game to anyway near this degree of guesswork.

The obnoxiousness of the suspect ladder is something better experienced than described. Anybody coming out of the suspect ladder will hopefully see that a bit of risk, and the chance to come back from a bad matchup is a good thing, and that it is more possible with Hoopa-U than without it. I think Hoopa-U is healthy for the tier, and promotes skill rather than deducts from it.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If the post-ban/Hoopaless meta is cancer (in an undeveloped state, mind you), then things can be banned from it after it's given a chance to mature. I'd argue that the suspect ladder is not an accurate depiction of high level play though, as anyone worth their salt should qualify relatively quickly and be done playing on it. The people who contribute more games to the suspect ladder are those who don't have it figured out as well, either through taking a larger number of games to qualify or perhaps trying again on alt(s).

I'm going to leave discussion of Hoopa to others since gen 6 OU is not something I've played extensively. From something of an outsider's perspective though, Hoopa seems extremely silly. In any other tier I've played a pokemon which 2hkoes everything slower than it and 1hkoes ~everything faster than it would be broken.

Sorry to be about to refute or twist everything you say Rick, but I really think that most of your points are just driving home how unhealthy this thing is.

As for predictions, this does not have to be a series of 50/50s, predictions are more than that. Furthermore, Hoopa-U can't come in multiple times per match due to how physically frail it is, so the game shouldn't be decided by guessing around what Hoopa will do. But yes, in an offensive metagame, if the opponent makes a really obvious play, there will be more room to punish that, I can only view this as a good thing. I agree with the aspect of reducing risks being an element of solid play, but making nothing but risk-free plays will ultimately kill the enjoyability of the game.
But Hoopa-U causing certain 50:50's is a fact, just because some predictions do take more thought than that doesn't remove the fact that with Hoopa-U you're at worst in with a 50/50 of doing something valuable and that only gets better through the game as his checks are weakened. Your enjoyability argument there only really works if every team has Hoopa-U to cash in on that, and sure if someone chooses not to use it that's their choice, but then we're in a position where one can argue that not using Hoopa-U is an automatic disadvantage.

Not everything can be assured, but at least with Hoopa-U you can claim the game went the way it did because of the plays you made. With the current ladder, the sequence of events following team preview can often be said to be less important than team preview itself.
I'd say that the exact opposite is true - Hoopa-U has an unsafe choice to make significantly less often than a lot of other mons which actually puts a lot less weight on the plays you make with Hoopa-U. Its the whole risk-reward thing - you talk about these mythical many nonspecific Sableye builds as if them having less risk without Hoopa-U is a bad thing but fail to recognise the fact that Hoopa-U is the single lowest-risk wall breaker to use in the game right now for anything upwards of bulky offense, and actually people using the other big wall breakers in his place against stall will put a lot more weight on making correct plays against stall. Your argument needs to work both ways, and arguing to take safety away from some stall builds and put risk on them means that you have to recognise that Hoopa-U's existence does the same thing for teams designed to break stall.

If you thought I was just talking about standard balance builds when I said "Significant numbers of teams will endeavour to check as many threats as possible, and aim to seal up games from the start", this was not the case and I worded it wrongly. I was referring to the very similar, but just varied enough Sab builds that have come out of the woodwork, which ultimately aim to win from team preview and utterly shut down as many pokemon as possible, which are detrimental to the competitive nature of the game as a whole.
Thats just how stall works and always has worked, and literally the only thing that they can't cover in some way right now is Hoopa-U. I agree with Nails who said that this quote is actually just defining good team building, and thus suggesting it would promote a healthier meta - backtracking on your meaning by it doesn't make it any less true in the way that it's worded.

Hoopa-U doesn't cause complete randomness, but what it does do is give you a solid chance against to get a hit off on any style of team, provided you play it correctly. What I'm really trying to do here is to reduce the number of times team preview is the biggest factor in whether you win or lose. I don't believe risks should be so high that you can just flip a coin 2 or 3 times a match, and be in dramatically different situations based on that, but then I don't believe Hoopa-U, despite forcing some risks, brings the game to anyway near this degree of guesswork.
If you think that games shouldn't be decided from Team Preview then surely you should have realised that a metagame with Hoopa-U means that those same stall builds that you seem to have a vendetta against will sometimes have lost from preview if Hoopa-U is there. But without Hoopa-U, you don't take those auto-losses away from anyone, as stall is very much breakable without Hoopa-U as it always was before Hoopa-U was released and even up until the time when people discovered specs was a thing. As I keep saying, you can't apply the team preview auto loss argument to one play style but, by not addressing it, imply that it's okay for another. Sure, some people hate stall but it's just as valid a play style as anything that might use Hoopa-U or similar wall breakers, so it has to be given the same playing field as them when it comes to these arguments, but you're just arguing for a Hoopa-U meta because it can shit on stall which is more of an argument for why it's unhealthy and not healthy.

The obnoxiousness of the suspect ladder is something better experienced than described. Anybody coming out of the suspect ladder will hopefully see that a bit of risk, and the chance to come back from a bad matchup is a good thing, and that it is more possible with Hoopa-U than without it.
Again, I think this is more of an argument for a ban than a no-ban - match ups are a thing in any game and any meta, and sure that has to be cut off to an extent to stop the game being unbalanced, but if a mon can be included on any team and have a chance to cheese through any opposing matchup regardless of how you've built the rest of your team, I'd say that mon is by definition bad for the metagame and bad for an approach to balancing this game that encourages skill.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well I sorta got ninja'd by Nails and the big post above me, but this is in response to Rick Astley

Since when does a metagame actually look like the suspect ladder that happened right before it? Things tend to change big time after the suspect ends. Also people are just trying to use the easiest path to get reqs, i.e. HO in Aegi test, stall in Hoopa test.

Seriously you've made some sweeping generalizations about before and during* (edited) the suspect but I've already pointed out why these types of arguments are flawed. It's been repeated in a bunch of suspect threads too - the suspect ladder really isn't necessarily an accurate representation of what the metagame will look like with the suspect gone. It's a small sample size that's distorted by a bunch of things. Not only that but as I mentioned before we didn't really get to see the full effect Hoopa would have on the ladder metagame since Specs had been around for like 1 week - if you were using it on the ladder chances people didnt even know about it yet

Last edited:
Actually the metagame usually has been similar to the suspect test. We could see Gardevoir, Heracross, and Medicham increasing in popularity during the Aegislash test. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly what happened afterwards. Distortion is different from something being totally different. As it is, I can pretty much clearly identify every aspect of a troublesome and dull metagame right from the get go - unentertaining, more reliant on matchup than skill, stagnant. I'd encourage anyone who doubts this to test out the suspect ladder for themselves.

The pro-ban comments are rolling in faster than I can reply to them now, and it's getting extremely late. What I can say is that we've seen what the Hoopa-U meta looks like, and it does rely on skill, and is certainly not a bunch of 50/50s to decide the game. Yes, offence is the best playstyle in a meta with Hoopa-U in it, and this is in large part due to Hoopa-U, but there is nothing wrong with an S rank affecting the viability of a playstyle. Expressing my own preferences, and that they are towards a metagame with Hoopa-U, and explaining why this is the case in a coherent manner seems like a pretty legitimate strategy, but then again maybe I'm mistaken.

Hoopa-U, despite forcing the game in an offensive direction, is not actually a skill less machine that turns every match it is in into a slug fest, and just looking at their prior experience, players should be able to tell that this is the case. It seems perfectly reasonable for people to be able to adapt to it, because of its numerous checks, and just how little it checks in return. This is a glass cannon, and the weaknesses it has should be extremely obvious.

You can ban it if you want, because at the end of the day my 1 vote isn't going to outweigh all of yours, but as it stands, from every angle that I can see, and from looking at replays from tournament matches, which already happened at the start of this thread in depth, the metagame is competitive and skill based with Hoopa-U in it. While offensive, it is not centralised around Hoopa-U. Because the metagame is still competitive with Hoopa-U in it, I will vote for it to stay, even if I am heavily outnumbered.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well I sorta got ninja'd by Nails and the big post above me, but this is in response to Rick Astley

Since when does a metagame actually look like the suspect ladder that happened right before it? Things tend to change big time after the suspect ends. Also people are just trying to use the easiest path to get reqs, i.e. HO in Aegi test, stall in Hoopa test.

Seriously you've made some sweeping generalizations about before and during* (edited) the suspect but I've already pointed out why these types of arguments are flawed. It's been repeated in a bunch of suspect threads too - the suspect ladder really isn't necessarily an accurate representation of what the metagame will look like with the suspect gone. It's a small sample size that's distorted by a bunch of things. Not only that but as I mentioned before we didn't really get to see the full effect Hoopa would have on the ladder metagame since Specs had been around for like 1 week - if you were using it on the ladder chances people didnt even know about it yet
ok please explain this to me.

- the point of a suspect ladder is to test what a metagame is like with/without some mon, in this case without hoopa-u.
- so, logically, arguments based around that such as wq's and rick astley's are valid.

obviously, ladders in general aren't the highest caliber of play. its just a sample. if that sample isn't good enough, make the suspect ladder longer, say 2 weeks, maybe a month even, but it's absolutely pointless to have a suspect ladder if it can't even be used to formulate an opinion on a mon and its effects on the metagame. might as well just leave it the same.

now, as for
Not only that but as I mentioned before we didn't really get to see the full effect Hoopa would have on the ladder metagame since Specs had been around for like 1 week - if you were using it on the ladder chances people didnt even know about it yet
isnt this literally just saying that you should have waited longer to do a suspect test? o.o

im anti ban but either way this is more a principle thing.

Nails

Double Threat
ok please explain this to me.

- the point of a suspect ladder is to test what a metagame is like with/without some mon, in this case without hoopa-u.
- so, logically, arguments based around that such as wq's and rick astley's are valid.

obviously, ladders in general aren't the highest caliber of play. its just a sample. if that sample isn't good enough, make the suspect ladder longer, say 2 weeks, maybe a month even, but it's absolutely pointless to have a suspect ladder if it can't even be used to formulate an opinion on a mon and its effects on the metagame.

now, as for
isnt this literally just saying that you should have waited longer to do a suspect test? o.o

im anti ban but either way this is more a principle thing.
the suspect ladder provides an ok approximation of what happens immediately after a change. results from the ladder should be taken with a grain of salt but it's a bit better than nothing. you shouldn't put that much stock in it. suspect ladders with the mon allowed turn into people spamming counters to the pokemon as an overreaction and are even less useful for testing metagame health than the current set-up.

as for the second point, he's saying the ladder metagame is slow to adapt. the spl meta shifted pretty rapidly as people picked up on specs hoopa, but less serious players who aren't following things as closely might not realize how dangerous it is as quickly.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually the metagame usually has been similar to the suspect test. We could see Gardevoir, Heracross, and Medicham increasing in popularity during the Aegislash test. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly what happened afterwards. Distortion is different from something being totally different. As it is, I can pretty much clearly identify every aspect of a troublesome and dull metagame right from the get go - unentertaining, more reliant on matchup than skill, stagnant. I'd encourage anyone who doubts this to test out the suspect ladder for themselves.
Firstly, you don't really need to play on an Aegislash-less suspect ladder to know that those pokemon are going to be more popular. Takeaways from the ladder should (ideally) glean more information than simple insights that I could make from my seat without ever watching a match on said ladder. The problem is that this glimpse into the metagame known as the suspect ladder does not show very far into the future. Of course other trends will come and shape the state of the tier in different ways after a ban, and these are things that cannot be fully predicted. Yet you are basing your argument on the assumption that the metagame we see on the ladder now is what it will look like afterwards. This isn't entirely false but it's a really inflexible point of view that's wholly reliant on what you see is what you get. Granted what you see is what you get is something that has to be used but as Nails said above you have to take it with a grain of salt when it's a small sample size like a suspect ladder that lasts 2 weeks. When you're dealing with a full fledged meta that's had months to shape itself and adapt to various trends, things become a lot clearer and many things can be said with a lot more certainty.

The suspect ladder should absolutely be used as a tool to predict how things will look - that is the reason the format is the way it is. That said you can't just take things for face value. This tiering method that we currently use is not perfect, and assuming that you can just take exactly what you see on the suspect ladder and expect this to be the standard going forward is giving the process a little too much credit.

Last edited:
as a primarily offensive player I use stall when laddering for suspect reqs because it allows me to watch TV and talk with my friends while laddering, making it much less of a chore. The consensus among most of my friends who used stall is similar. With that in mind, I feel pretty comfortable saying that the suspect ladder with hoopa banned won't reflect the actual metagame with hoopa banned--in the actual metagame people will have different motivations for their team choice than "what takes the least thought and lets me focus on other things while I play."

between that and the above arguments about the meta not having enough time to adapt, most of the games coming from less experienced players, and others that the above posters made, I don't think you can use "look how boring the suspect ladder is" as an anti-ban argument. likewise, you probably couldn't use "look how great the suspect ladder is" as a pro-ban argument.

perhaps you believe that the suspect ladder should reflect the resulting metagame in an ideal world, but for a bunch of real-world reasons, you cannot assert that it does.

Last edited:
It's late and I'm tired so I might be rambling a bit. I might come back and edit this in the morning, but it's on my mind now so I'm gonna say something:

I feel like the "Just run Pursuit" arguments are losing sight of the differences in costs between HO and Stall teams when a Pokemon is lost.
HO gives no fucks about sacrificing their Latios to the mighty Djinni to bring in their Pursuit user safely, deck it, and then keep on trucking. Stall does not have this luxury. If Stall loses a component of the big bad machine it's running too early, it falls apart quickly. This is why Stall users try to bag and snag the game from the very beginning. The match up based meta we're seeing on the suspect ladder is just a consequence of how Stall plays and its prominence therein.

A bit more about Stall.

Even though I am pro ban, I cannot deny that every generation as more and more threats are introduced, Stall is harder and harder pressed to keep up. It should also be noted that throughout a majority of suspect tests we've had, Stall has demonstrated itself to be the most vulnerable (and HO the least) to what was being tested. The truth is, 6v6 is the only meta in which Pure Stall ever stood a chance. 3v3 emits immense offensive pressure that Stall teams can't handle with just 3 Pokemon at once. Doubles and Triples and the fan made Free For All (I can't speak for Rotation) make Stall completely unviable by the mere fact that one Pokemon can be pummeled by multiple Pokemon in the same turn. Does this make Pure Stall a gimmick that needs to be retired? That's for you to decide. I'd like to think not, but even if it is at least it doesn't destroy other playstyles entirely like Full Pass did.

One of the things I love most about Smogon Singles is the trinity between Stall, Offense and Balanced that I can only see here and nowhere else. With Uoopa around, Stall is forced to run 1-2 offensive options, one of which with Pursuit. If you ask me that's hardly Stall anymore. More like "Defensive Balanced". I feel like by keeping Uoopa we are tarnishing if not completely killing off one of these pieces of the triforce of Pokemon. I would be sad to see that happen.

So there it is. I've said my piece.

What we as a community need to do now is make a choice by answering a very simple question: Is Pure Stall worth protecting anymore?

To those who got/are getting reqs, the way I see it, your vote is your answer.
Ban = Yes. Do Not Ban = No.​

This is not a question to take lightly, as the result of this suspect test will signify how we make ban decisions going forward. I hope that whatever decision you make, you make it with the best of intentions for the whole of the community and not just yourself.

What we as a community need to do now is make a choice by answering a very simple question: Is Pure Stall worth protecting anymore?
To those who got/are getting reqs, the way I see it, your vote is your answer.
Ban = Yes. Do Not Ban = No.
What? No. This test is to see if Hoopa-U has a detrimental effect on the entire metagame, rather than just stall. Making a decision solely based on its impact to stall teams seems like a fairly bad idea since the stated goal is to have a metagame that is balanced for ALL types of team.

What? No. This test is to see if Hoopa-U has a detrimental effect on the entire metagame, rather than just stall. Making a decision solely based on its impact to stall teams seems like a fairly bad idea since the stated goal is to have a metagame that is balanced for ALL types of team.
Well if Stall is getting rekt to the point where it either has to adapt in such a way that it hardly resembles what it was or die, then the metagame isn't balanced for "ALL types of team" anymore, is it?

We need to reaffirm what we mean by "ALL types of team". We've decided that Evasion, Full Pass, and SwagPlay teams were not worth protecting a long time ago and even took measures to exterminate their existence. The difference here is Pure Stall isn't killing other playstyles, so we won't be making any direct decisions that would kill it off (Ex: banning max defensive investment) but instead no longer consider Pure Stall's importance when making ban decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: amg

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well if Stall is getting rekt to the point where it either has to adapt in such a way that it hardly resembles what it was or die, then the metagame isn't balanced for "ALL types of team" anymore, is it? we need to reaffirm what we mean ball "ALL types of team". We've decided that Evasion, Full Pass, and SwagPlay teams were not worth protecting a long time ago and even took measures to exterminate their existence.
The difference here is Pure Stall isn't killing other playstyles and we won't be making any direct decisions that would kill it off (Ex: banning max defensive investment) but instead no longer consider Pure Stall's importance when making ban decisions.
since when has stall not been adapting? stall is one of the most adaptable playstyles because of the sheer fact that we are playing in ORAS. just because hoopa-u existed doesn't mean that stall was negligible. it just meant that we needed more hard checks for it (eg pursuiter + mandi). what we should look into here is whether or not hoopa-u's effect is straining on the metagame. the fact here is if stall teams were so ready to slap on stag Goth, the use of trappers to remove wallbreakers (not just hoopa in general) is something that has been existent even before hoopa-u became overhyped. keep in mind that people are getting over excited about this suspect simply because choiced hoopa has the ability to just click a move and blow something back. but in general, Hoopa-U still needs to select its moves carefully.

stall in general is a style that has survived through ORAS where an insane abundance of wallbreakers/stallbreakers has been given to us. there is no need to "reaffirm what we mean by <ALL types of team>""

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not gonna act like I've played OU since the early 1900s, but "adapt in such a way that it hardly resembles what it was or die" means it needs to adapt in such a way that it hardly resembles what it was, and that's not a bad thing! In any competitive game, different characters and playstyles and archetypes adapt based on what is good and what is popular. In Hearthstone, Control Warrior, a deck that has been around since the game's inception, started out playing a handful of efficient control cards and a bunch of big threats to close the game once you've cleared out the opponent's main threats. Within the past couple of months, the archetype has been flipped on its head, as the other decks in the meta have become far more threat-centric and less focused on killing you out of nowhere. To adapt, the deck now runs an asston of control cards and one main finisher. This doesn't mean the archetype is suddenly terrible; it's just very different from its original form. In that same vein, stall can look and play completely different, but as long as its goal is the same, it's still stall.

The problem arises if and only if Hoopa-U has such a stifling effect against staff that the archetype is forced to run inefficient Pokemon and sets that do little toward covering the rest of the meta. That makes the game matchup-based, which is an argument I hate to hear but truly applies in this instance. It comes down to choosing between being good vs the most threatening presence in the metagame or being the most generally effective. Again, I haven't played in ages and have no idea whether or not this is the case, but if it isn't, then the argument of Hoopa's effect on stall is invalid.

since when has stall not been adapting? stall is one of the most adaptable playstyles because of the sheer fact that we are playing in ORAS. just because hoopa-u existed doesn't mean that stall was negligible. it just meant that we needed more hard checks for it (eg pursuiter + mandi). what we should look into here is whether or not hoopa-u's effect is straining on the metagame. the fact here is if stall teams were so ready to slap on stag Goth, the use of trappers to remove wallbreakers (not just hoopa in general) is something that has been existent even before hoopa-u became overhyped. keep in mind that people are getting over excited about this suspect simply because choiced hoopa has the ability to just click a move and blow something back. but in general, Hoopa-U still needs to select its moves carefully.

stall in general is a style that has survived through ORAS where an insane abundance of wallbreakers/stallbreakers has been given to us. there is no need to "reaffirm what we mean by <ALL types of team>""
Using the word "carefully" here isn't really saying anything without quantification or comparison because everything needs to take some degree of care over choosing it's moves. If Hoopa didn't need to take some care and could just spam one move and 6-0 teams, the ban wouldn't even be up for discussion and skill would be out of the question. Fact is that he still has significant less risk in choosing his moves than any other similar mon in the meta right now, so saying he needs to choose his moves carefully is really a pointless statement when he can still give it less thought and care than any other mon that one could feasibly use in his place.

You're right that stall using certain trappers to beat or cripple wall breakers existed before but I dont think I'd agree if you were to go on to say that stall often using Scarf Tar to beat the one specific wall breaker that it has no other reliable way to beat, was at all healthy for that play style. Sub par and niche options becoming abundant is one of the biggest signs of a broken mon, and sure Scarf Tar is a good option for Bulky Offense or Sand or w/e, but for stall it's definitely a subpar niche option outside of a Hoopa-U meta.

You're right that stall using certain trappers to beat or cripple wall breakers existed before but I dont think I'd agree if you were to go on to say that stall often using Scarf Tar to beat the one specific wall breaker that it has no other reliable way to beat, was at all healthy for that play style. Sub par and niche options becoming abundant is one of the biggest signs of a broken mon, and sure Scarf Tar is a good option for Bulky Offense or Sand or w/e, but for stall it's definitely a subpar niche option outside of a Hoopa-U meta.
Stall also needs to run Sdef Clefable otherwise it's 6-0ed by TG RD Manaphy, and in this case its really a 6-0, there is absolutely nothing stall can do, even a monkey can beat a stall team lacking clef with that set. The Manaphy user doesn't even have to predict in the slightest.

Most top tier wallbreakers have 2-3 hardcounters at most. A stall team without one of them gets trashed by him. There is absolutely no difference to Hoopa here. And its not like a Scarf ttar wouldn't be helpful for other things. Its a good stop to Kyub as well, it can revenge a damaged Manaphy if it gets out of hand, it can deal with Stallbreaker Heatrans and in general removes psychic types which, if its Lati/Starmie further aids the stall player because the opponent can no longer remove the hazards. Calling an A+ mon subpar is also a bit of a stretch.

And once again, stall is an utterly passive playstyle, beeing passive means you will always have to react to what your opponent does, this applies to both team building and playing. If stall would be unviable without TTar in a Hoopa U Meta then it will just run Ttar. Having to adapt is part of the deal when you want to play stall. And as mentioned before, Stallteams used trapping before to deal with threats in form of Scarf Goth so why is it such a big deal to use Pursuit now all of a sudden? Who knows, keeping Hoopa might actually help the playstyle by making it more diverse as people may start using Mega Scizor for the Pursuit role instead of that omnipresent Sableeye shit you see everywhere.

There are some good points for banning Hoopa, but honestly, the possible viability of stall isn't one of them.

There are some good points for banning Hoopa, but honestly, the possible viability of stall isn't one of them.
While I by and large agree with this, it has to work only up to a point because if a suspect is making a whole play style almost unviable to the point of forcing it to take things counter-intuitive to that play style, I'd say the suspect at least deserves it's suspect test. To imply I called Scarf-Tar 'subpar' across all play styles is a slightly selective reading of what I said, to say the least, anyway, because ngl Stall using Scarf Tar isn't exactly stall any more especially when considering that Scarf Tar doesn't 100% check Hoopa-U even once per game, and listing off what stall breakers it threatens offensively doesn't make it less of a niche option for stall outside of the Hoopa-U meta, any more than [insert defensive stall staple here] is automatically a good option for offense on the grounds of what it checks defensively.

I dont see why your Clef/Manaphy point is comparable because Clef has always held a lot of utility and been a standard option for stall anyway, while Scarf-Tar purely through the nature of it's role is an emergency button at best for stall even in the current meta. Requiring something like that when it won't even guarantee doing it's job is just the definition of unhealthy for a play style. Sure stall/semistall/bulky offense can't be the only viability considerations but that doesn't mean they're not the most relevantly affected play styles in this suspect.

More generally can people stop arguing to keep Hoopa-U just because they want it to shit on Sableye builds, and then talking to other people about non-arguments relating to viability in their posts.

Nobody used Sdef unaware Clefable before Manaphy became a thing because there was no reason to do so. Just like nobody used Scarf Ttar until now because there was no reason to do so. Both cases show stall adapting to a new threat it needs to prepare for.

The way i see it your whole argument is based on the "fact" that scarf ttar is a set that a stall shouldn't be using. And imo that's already a flawed point. Stall is a playstyle that defines itself by being passive and reactionary. That won't change from using ttar. Stall teams that win by just switching around and letting the hazards do the job basicly died with XY so its nothing new to see things that can attack on a stall team.
In fact we have already seen scarfed mons on stall teams who have been used for trapping. Ttar is no different. Stall needs to adapt to the meta and because of that the appearance of stall changes over time. Using ttar would simply be another change.

But as i said above we are wasting our time here because the viability of a specific playstyle is not a good reason to ban/keep something. Even if the viability was actually in danger, which i doubt is even true.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Nobody used Sdef unaware Clefable before Manaphy became a thing because there was no reason to do so. Just like nobody used Scarf Ttar until now because there was no reason to do so. Both cases show stall adapting to a new threat it needs to prepare for.
yeah scarf tyranitar is very non standard and i havent seen this set before hoopa...
look at some replays. it has always been a frequently used mon on stall etc

ScarfTar has been common on stall/semi-stall for quite some time, since it's fairly bulky for a Scarf mon (thus a great Wish recipient), and checks important things that Stall can have trouble handling such as other Tyranitar (especially banded), both Zard forms, Talonflame, and so on.

"Pure" stall that's based on hazard-stacking and having little to no offensive presence hasn't been very viable in a long time, and that's fine. Nowadays, stall teams run one threat that often doubles as speed control (band Weavile, ScarfTar, etc.).

Ok, so I'll engage with the risk/reward argument for Hoopa-U now.

First off, Hoopa-U does actually have a substantial amount of risk in using it, although this might not be immediately obvious. When you use a splashable pokemon like Keldeo on a team, you're not just using it to spam scalds, you're also using it to check pokemon like Bisharp, Heatran, Weavile, etc. Compared to this, Hoopa-U actually checks very little in the tier. It checks Alakazam, and some electrics, but that's really all it can provide for a team in terms of defensive synergy. HO teams may be offensive, but you do awant to avoid getting straight up through by common threats. Due to its lack of defensive synergy, it's pretty common to see Hoopa-U teams have very unfavourable matchups against threats that are more common than you want, and also for these threats to be greater in number than weaknesses other HO which does not use Hoopa has.

Yet Hoopa's defence ties in further to how it is not just an easy to use pokemon. Every time you lock yourself into the wrong coverage move, you risk taking serious damage in return, and being taken advantage of. Look at this replay turn 8: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-138988
If TDK had clicked dark pulse instead of focus blast on the incoming terrakion, it would certainly have gotten a kill back, and he would not have been in a favourable situation at all. Every time you try to double in Hoopa, you risk the opponent calling you on it, and you losing the strongest breaker on your team prematurely, because again, this can't take physical hits well at all. As WhiteQueen pointed out, Hoopa-U being used to its fullest extent is heavily reliant on predicting correctly, and in a lot of cases this will be a blind shot in the dark. Calcs showing how Hoopa-U is able to 2hko anything that comes in with the correct coverage move has limited usefulness in being able to demonstrate Hoopa's power, but it assumes that Hoopa-U is always able to hit the correct coverage move, which is not the case.

Every turn Hoopa-U is out on the field is potentially explosive, true, but it is not just a risk free pokemon. At both the building stage and the battling stage, it has significant weaknesses that need to be taken into account. It's pretty clear that Hoopa-U, just from the stats that it has, was designed to be a glass cannon. By putting together a scenario in which Hoopa-U is already out against a pokemon that it will 100% force out, and that can't really touch it back, like Amoonguss, this completely ignores the glass aspect of it being a glass cannon.

There is some truth to this. On the suspect ladder, because people are desperate to get reqs, they have adapted quite quickly to the new meta. There are some main trends for ladder players with a high gxe, from looking at replays, and bare in mind that this doesn't apply to absolutely every ladder player, but for the majority. Those trends boil down to two main strategies for a high W/L ratio, the vast majority will either use a very bulky Sableye team, or a team that is extremely geared towards breaking those Sableye teams. If you look at matches with these Sableye stall builds, you'll see that they will make the safest play every single turn. The main gamble is that the team preview matchup is not awful, and what we can deduce from the W/L ratios is that the vast majority of the time, this is not the case. There are ways to adapt, but if we're trying to make risk reward roughly 50/50, removing a risky to face and use pokemon that keeps what has been proven to be the safest laddering playstyle this suspect in check is not the right way to go about it.

The fact that Kyurem got roost to avoid chip damage meant that it had a large variety in options as a pokemon. Hoopa-U does not have any way to recover its health outside of drain punch, and so saying Kyurem-B has the option to use roost, is pointing out a strength of the pokemon, not a weakness. While ORAS and BW2 might be different metagames, it is not the same as comparing apples and oranges, because it's a progression of game mechanics and options, rather than a new slate all together. If anything, the power creep means we should be prepared for new concepts of how a pokemon can work, rather than banning old ones.

Below is the post where you say that Hoopa-U needs to be able to be checked defensively to be balanced, I've looked at this multiple times, and I can't think of any other way of reading this other than sidestepping around the fact that it is extremely easy to be checked offensively, but because it can't be checked defensively, it is broken.

And yes, I absolutely attacked you ad hominem, but I did not accuse you of doing the same. What I actually accused you of was being smug despite making weak posts, and yes that was brash. However, this is not only because of you not partaking in any previous suspects, but based on what I read from your previous posts, and believe me I read every single post you wrote.

Now, as a conclusion, I'll look at the metagame with Hoopa-U in it, compared to the one without it.

Metagame with Hoopa-U:
  • Primarily offensive.
  • Reliant on prediction to pick up kills.
  • Pokemon are forced to be sacked more frequently.
  • Disadvantages pokemon with less than 80 base speed.
  • What can't be checked defensively can be checked offensively.
  • Mispredicts are usually costly.
Metagame without Hoopa-U:
  • Large focus on defensive teams and how to break them.
  • Pokemon are forced to be sacked infrequently.
  • Reliant on which breakers are on your team to maintain a good W/L.
  • Bulk and power are more important, speed is less important.
  • Significant numbers of teams will endeavour to check as many threats as possible, and aim to seal up games from the start.
  • Mispredicts are usually less costly.

As far as I see it, Hoopa-U speeds up games by making the metagame more offensive. It makes the outcome of a game more about certain crucial turns rather than what you have for a specific core, although often these plays will be a shot in the dark. Without it, more teams are free to try to aim to win based on matchup, you'll see a fair few replays where otherwise well built teams with semi-decent, but not excellent breakers are left with little to no chance of winning a specific game.

To assess this, Hoopa-U puts a greater emphasis on the plays made in a match rather than who has what. Mispredicts and misplays will be punished more harshly. Therefore, I can only view Hoopa-U as a positive thing for the tier, rather than being detrimental.
Am I misinterpreting something here? The game replay you linked shows Hoopa merking 4 mons with what looks like ease. It does pick focus blast and OHKO the terrakion, it OHKOs the venasaur with a psyshock, OHKOs the starmie with dark pulse, and then it stays in on heatran and just straight up beats it 1v1. Was this supposed to support the unban camp (not being sarcastic I'm just confused about the intention of this post)?

It particularly refutes this point:

"Furthermore, Hoopa-U can't come in multiple times per match due to how physically frail it is"

As you can see it comes in like 5 times and gets 4 kills...

Last edited:
I have gotten req and while I was a supporter for the ban of hoopa during the beginning of the suspect, after getting req I am going to be voting for no ban. Honestly, in tours, it is very annoying to face hoopa because of the fact that it can run so many viable sets and it hard to figure out the exact set that someone is running. Bulkier teams usually have a much harder time dealing with it which has lead to a much more offensive meta. After doing req though, I saw a LOT of stall teams. Most people like to use stall because it is much easier to win with but I don't feel like they would have been as successful if hoopa-u were around. I would much rather play in a meta where you have to predict someone and predict someones moveset to win than in a meta where the match is decided from team preview alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)