np: ORAS UU Stage 3.2 - Game of Pricks [Pidgeotite voted BL] - See Post #257

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Actually, I'd like to mention Ominous Wind as a viable coverage move for Venomoth. It hits Chandelure and Doublade super effectively, as well as hitting Psychics and has decent coverage alongside Bug Buzz. It even has a chance to raise all Venomoth's stats. I will give Energy Ball and Giga Drain mentions as well for hitting rock types. Venomoth gets more coverage than Yanmega, which is another selling point.
I'd be hard pressed to trade Sludge Bomb or Sleep Powder for Ominous Wind considering how team matchup dependent hitting mainly Chandy and Doublade is, because Bug Buzz already covers Psychic-types.

A cool way I like to run suicide lead azelf is with an electric move over fire blast. Even with pidgeot out of question electric moves hit empoleon and roost aerodactyl which are very annoying to azelf because they resist fire blast and explosion and threaten to remove sr. Fire blast only hits like aggron and doublade which can't remove the hazards and can't even recover the thunder damage. You just basically explode on every single mon because the mentiond 4 are the only relevant normal resists. P cool option for azelf.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A cool way I like to run suicide lead azelf is with an electric move over fire blast. Even with pidgeot out of question electric moves hit empoleon and roost aerodactyl which are very annoying to azelf because they resist fire blast and explosion and threaten to remove sr. Fire blast only hits like aggron and doublade which can't remove the hazards and can't even recover the thunder damage. You just basically explode on every single mon because the mentiond 4 are the only relevant normal resists. P cool option for azelf.
Forre is the main thing fb is meant to hit since its another suicide lead

i mean t bolt 2hkos without bringing it into custap range right? I do like fb though because i rather have a forry at 1 hp than half if it switches out.

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
What do you all think about Overcoat Forretress Vs. Sturdy Forretress after tier shift? With Smeargle and Venomoth dropping we will be seeing two new powder users. Forretress which I could imagine doing well against a hazard lead Smeargle would typically want to be safe against spore, along with being safe against Sleep Powder if Venomoth feels it wants to set up Sub QD on Forre. We take these benifits into mind, but we also need to think about our loses of not having Sturdy. Without Sturdy we are no longer able to slow Volt Switch after a Sturdy live to gain momentum, we lose his Custap Berry set, and Sturdy live Hazard Sets/Spins. Personally I am trying to lean more toward Overcoat, now a days people expect Sturdy and are ready for it. As time goes on, I can see people getting used to Overcoat and not even attempting to Spore forre, which could lean the meta toward Sturdy once again.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What do you all think about Overcoat Forretress Vs. Sturdy Forretress after tier shift? With Smeargle and Venomoth dropping we will be seeing two new powder users. Forretress which I could imagine doing well against a hazard lead Smeargle would typically want to be safe against spore, along with being safe against Sleep Powder if Venomoth feels it wants to set up Sub QD on Forre. We take these benifits into mind, but we also need to think about our loses of not having Sturdy. Without Sturdy we are no longer able to slow Volt Switch after a Sturdy live to gain momentum, we lose his Custap Berry set, and Sturdy live Hazard Sets/Spins. Personally I am trying to lean more toward Overcoat, now a days people expect Sturdy and are ready for it. As time goes on, I can see people getting used to Overcoat and not even attempting to Spore forre, which could lean the meta toward Sturdy once again.
I'll provide a short answer. It's all about tier maturation; overcoat Forry is already a thing for some teams, so having two more reasons will only accentuate the need to use that set. UU is huge on match up, so huge that this'll set the pace for the requirements of Forry. Which means how smeargle settles will set the pace for these dependent match ups. Hope that clears things up.

Veno will def be used imo. Tinted lens+QD+BB is a good combo. Used with hazards or/and something like krook to trap special walls it can do some damage to the tier and pull off sweeps. It doesn't hit as hard as other sweepers but with sleep and recovery it has a good place in the meta. A set like buzz qd roost with sleep powder or sub with life orb is wat ill be going with prob, i think roost is def more important than powder for survival. Sleep can get u to plus 1 if u hit but roost can keep u alive to get to that plus 2,3 etc. Sub is for twave whuch will most ofter come from p2 which u can set up on with roost. Lo is for much needed power, lefties n lum just arent worth it. Mental herb also is great option for whims, but now im telling too much... Don't count it out

This will be the best Venomoth set imo:
Venomoth @ Life Orb / Focus Sash / Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVS: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Modest / Timid Nature
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder / Toxic Spikes
This set aims to sweep with Quiver Dance. Thanks to Tinted Lens, Venomoth doesn't have to run coverage for stuff like Steel types, as it hits them hard with Bug Buzz. Quiver Dance is used to boost and try to sweep, duh. Bug Buzz is Venomoth's main STAB, being nearly unresisted with Tinted Lens. Sludge Bomb can be used for secondary STAB and for an easier time against Fairy Types, and Giga Drain is an option to nail Rock types and heal up damage. Sleep Powder is used so you have an easier time setting up, but if you don't care about that, Toxic Spikes can be used so Venomoth has a bit of utility. Venomoth likes to set up on Fighting types and Grass types, and it doesn't have the best bulk, so try to get it in on weak attackers. Modest is used for more power, but Timid can be used to outspeed whatever I'm too lazy to look it up.

And that's what will be the best Venomoth set!
I'm surprised to see that Venomoth can play the role of a sweeper. It's special attack and speed stats aren't very high.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
BP bellydrum still is a thing

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Nuzzle
- Dark Void/ Spore
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass
Focus Sash Belly Drum is really great.. But really put a Sitrus on that or something lmao u_u. Also Own Tempo > Technician, gotta prepare for those confuse ray Crobats that are on ladder all the time

Venomoth and Smeargle are currently allowed in UU.

And a reminder:
At this point, Hikari and I are pretty content with the metagame and have no plans to suspect anything for the time being. In other words, please do not post about what to suspect next. We are going to be seeing a tier shift on August 1st so that will be sure to change things up a bit.
No plans to drop Scolipede right now
I'll probably make a new np thread later, because it's 3 am right now and I'm tired.

Focus Sash Belly Drum is really great.. But really put a Sitrus on that or something lmao u_u. Also Own Tempo > Technician, gotta prepare for those confuse ray Crobats that are on ladder all the time
o_O

mental herb or magic coat are also options for opposing taunt leads, which i think will be (more) common now with Smeargle around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)