np: OU Suspect Testing Round 1 - ...wait, I'm not Jumpman16!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right folks, 5th gen OU suspect testing is finally here! Now that we have an official 5th gen server and an initial banlist, we can start determining the tiering fate of even more Pokemon than ever! This time, things will be a little bit different, though. Here is a general outline of how things will go down this generation:

1. As soon as Super gets some free time tomorrow, he will reset the Standard OU ratings and post that he has done so in this topic, which will mark the start of 5th gen OU suspect testing.
  2. Testing will last approximately two and a half weeks and end on December 18th at 11:59 PM, EST.
    1. A tentative qualification rating of 1500 has been set as the threshold for being able to vote. Yes, we know this is a very high rating to achieve in such a short period of time. We therefore reserve the right to lower this rating as needed at the end of the testing period. Please understand that this is a brand new rating system, so we're trying to get a feel for what is an appropriate rating right now. Still, try your hardest to hit 1500, as that's the only way to guarantee that you will qualify!
  3. On December 19th at 12:00 AM, EST, users will be allowed to post suspect nominations in this thread. There is no rating criteria to qualify for nominating -- anybody can submit nominations. The nomination phase will last one week, until 11:59 PM, EST on December 25th.
    1. Nominations will be accepted or rejected based on a combination of sound logic and popularity.
    2. You will also be allowed to nominate Uber Pokemon which you believe should be brought down and tested the next round.
    3. Unlike the 4th generation suspect voting process, the characteristics outlined in the Portrait of an Uber are not required for justifying a Pokemon's tiering. Instead, we encourage you all to justify your nomination with whatever reasoning led you to your opinion. Please keep in mind the definitions listed in DougJustDoug's Characteristics of a Desirable Pokemon Metagame thread when posting your opinions, as if you use a word from there, that is how we will interpret it. Also, note that DougJustDoug's thread, although very detailed, probably does not cover every characteristic of our metagame, so don't feel limited to just the ones he listed when justifying your nomination. That thread is just a good starting point :)
  4. On December 26th, a voting thread will be opened with a list of qualified voters and Pokemon whose nominations were accepted. Qualified users will be allowed to vote once per suspect. A short explanation for your vote is encouraged.
  5. This round's voting will be closed at 11:59 PM, EST, on January 2nd, and we will have our new OU metagame!
For those of you too lazy to look it up yourself, this is the initial OU banlist we decided on:
OU Banlist

Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
Now that that's all explained, I just wanted to wish everybody the best of luck. Enjoy your testing for the next few hours, because after Super resets the ratings tomorrow, it's game time!

Damn, my rating was barely coming up. Ah well, I will try to get 1500 to remove Shadow Tag Shandera.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A tentative qualification rating of 1500 has been set as the threshold for being able to vote. Yes, we know this is a very high rating to achieve in such a short period of time. We therefore reserve the right to lower this rating as needed at the end of the testing period. Please understand that this is a brand new rating system, so we're trying to get a feel for what is an appropriate rating right now. Still, try your hardest to hit 1500, as that's the only way to guarantee that you will qualify!
Ouch. Anyway, it's great to see that we're moving into action instead of talk. Awesome work, Phil. Will start abusing Darkrai and Shaymin-S to the max =O

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn, my rating was barely coming up. Ah well, I will try to get 1500 to remove Shadow Tag Shandera.
Shadow Tag Shanderra is not available in the Standard OU metagame yet. It is highly unlikely to be available by the end of the testing process.
This thread also only mentions banning Pokemon so I assume you'd be trying to ban Shanderra, not just Shadow Tag Shanderra.

Shadow Tag Shanderra is not available in the Standard OU metagame yet. It is highly unlikely to be available by the end of the testing process.
This thread also only mentions banning Pokemon so I assume you'd be trying to ban Shanderra, not just Shadow Tag Shanderra.
Ok. That confirms that this is standard and not Dream World.

Anyway, I'm super busy and I doubt I can get that in a week. Dang it. :(

edit: I just realized that Meloetta isn't banned. SlimMan says hi, let's have some fun. ^_^

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meroetta is an unreleased event Pokemon, and isn't available in standard.

Oh well, time to put 6 alts on the leaderboard by abusing broken shit.

EDIT: fuk loconinja >:|

Meloetta is banned, along with Genosect and Kerudio since they haven't been released.
Front page of Smogon says that Meloetta is banned in Pokemon World Championships. I was unaware that that carries over to the simulator.

Shows what I know. Lol that I'm trying to vote, but didn't even know that much.

1500 rating does seem a bit high, especially since activity is lower than usual with the server not being at the top at the moment. PO's rating system has always confused me though so I dunno.

Also, does this mean the lower requirement system has been sacked?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Front page of Smogon says that Meloetta is banned in Pokemon World Championships. I was unaware that that carries over to the simulator.

Shows what I know. Lol that I'm trying to vote, but didn't even know that much.
Unless it can be legally obtained, it cannot be used in battle. None of the unreleased Pokemon can be used. It has nothing to do with VGC.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think 1500 is way too high. Beta's been up and running for a while now and I've only ever seen the top 3 with that high a ranking. If you want a real consensus, cutoff should be somewhere in the 1400s.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys quit complaining. Philip said that he'll lower the ranking requirements if it becomes apparent the ranking is too high. They obviously don't want input from less than 10 members.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Phil said 1500 because he's unsure of the current rating system. Most definitely it will be lowered, although he should probably say that the actual amount is tentative rather than listing a number.

I'm still not read to reset the server btw. Final week of classes is kicking my asses.

1500 rating does seem a bit high, especially since activity is lower than usual with the server not being at the top at the moment. PO's rating system has always confused me though so I dunno.

Also, does this mean the lower requirement system has been sacked?
There is no lower req, because there are no required paragraphs for qualifying voters now.

Everybody, you should read that entire section of my post instead of just the bolded 1500.

I agree 1500 seems a little to high. However, good work Phil and everyone else, fianlly the time for action has come. Everyone get ready for the flood of Darkrai and Shaymin-S.

I doubt I will be able to vote as TR is quite a bit harder with all the new "overpowered" mons running around.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guys quit complaining. Philip said that he'll lower the ranking requirements if it becomes apparent the ranking is too high. They obviously don't want input from less than 10 members.
But at the same time, they should take the playerbase's input with regards to PO's ranking system, since we're the ones laddering. 1300s+ are the only players worth looking at. 1400s is a reasonable achievement if we're looking for the real cream of the crop without making it unreasonably exclusive.

As for the suspect round: finally. I haven't been playing on Smogon server at all because of the influx of Deoxys, Shaymin, and Darkrai ruining otherwise good matches. I've played the metagame with them before on Beta and it wasn't pretty. Kudos on them for getting rid of them ASAP. I just hope Smogon does the same.

Am I the only one who hasnt been in awe of Shaymin-S, Darkrai, Manaphy, or the Latis? They're not overwhelming at all.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've never been particularly in awe of the Lati twins, to be honest, they're just a pair of extremely powerful Pokemon in my eyes. With the power creep of this gen, they seem to fit in just fine for now. I've always hated Darkrai, he's enough of a monster in Ubers. Shaymin-S is close, but not AS bad, while +3 Tail Glow makes me want to kick Manaphy out (If it were still +2, I probably wouldn't have minded).

I don't really have a opinion on 1500 Rating limit since I don't know what the equivalent rating of the old systme would be (1600?, 1700?). Well anyways, I'll try to get up to the highest I can. I don't know if the voting processes should be during the holidays, since I imagine that many users would be off with family and friends and wouldn't have the opportunity to put their vote in.
Darkrai ftw.......At least for now

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wait sorry, 1500? Only 1 or 2 people on the whole ladder have even 1400!

edit: So if I'm reading the nomination process correctly, EVERYTHING is free to throw up on the chopping block if enough people agree it should be voted on? Hahaha . . . one word: Doryuuzu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)