np: OU Suspect Testing Round 2 - Who am I to break tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't noticed, the results of OU Suspect Testing Round 1 are in! From now on, the ability Inconsistent and the Pokemon Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N, and Shaymin-S are banned from standard play, as they all hit a super majority ban vote. The ability Drizzle and Pokemon Manaphy hit a simple majority ban vote, which means just one more and they are out as well. Lets see if this new metagame proves to be more balanced than the last, and if we need to improve it even more afterward. Here are the new deadlines:

• Ladder Testing starts today and ends on Monday, January 17, at 11:59 PM
  • Nomination Phase starts at 12:00 AM on Tuesday, January 18, and ends on Monday, January 24, at 11:59 PM
  • Voting Phase starts at 12:00 AM on Tuesday, January 25, and ends on Monday, January 31, at 11:59 PM
If things go according to schedule, we should be done with this entire round by February.

Just like last round, the initial threshold for meeting voter reqs is a rating of 1400. This will be the last round where this method of qualification will be used.

Good luck everybody! I'm excited to see how this metagame unfolds :)

PS: Everybody, be sure to thank Super when you get a chance for swiftly updating our server to reflect our latest bans!

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
With the server crashing literally all the time, this is not going to be easy to achieve. I'll still try though.

Fortunately I think we've figured out how to take less risk in laddering and gain rating better- namely SJcrew's method of actually using the rating difference limits.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
could someone please explain me what's this all about?
I honestly don't know how to vote and stuff.
In a new generation, there's Pokemon that are winners, some losers. It's voters' choice as to what Pokemon are too powerful or broken to be used in a standard metagame (OU), and maintain a balanced competitive metagame. The Pokemon that are too broken or too powerful are nominated in a "suspect" round to determine whether or not they will be clauses or sent to Ubers. The majority of voters, after testing has been done, will determine this. The ability Inconsistent, and the Pokemon Deoxys-A, -N, Shaymin-S, and Darkrai have been banned from OU as a result. This is for fifth generation.

We are now determining the placement of the remaining "Suspects", mainly the ability Drizzle and Manaphy.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay guys, this round, we make history. First, we get rid of Manaphy and Drizzle. Next, I'm gunning for Deo-D. Deo-S can stay now that he has more checks than he used to, but I still expect to see him around as the occasional lead or mixed sweeper.

With Drought, we'll have to wait and see. It's not nearly as as capable at accomplishing what Rain does, but it's by no means weak. If those shitty Grass types are running the right HP, you might suffer and embarrassing Exeggutor sweep. :O Looking forward to some awesome Drought abuse in the near future. :D

I'm a little confused guys. If this is to see what needs to be banned, when will tiers be made? If that time has been posted I must've not looked hard enough, but I'm just wondering when the new tiers are coming out. Sorry about this but I'm new to this and honestly I'd just like to know. Please and thank you.

The OU tier is already made, we are just getting the broken stuff out. The tier was decided when we got the original ban list (Ubers) and everything else became OU. Sometime in the future UU and NU will come out.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the metagame (Smogon's version, at least) has yet to be stabilized because we're still in a perquisite stage of 5th generation competitive battling. UU and NU and OU will be based of usage, of course, whereas Ubers is the land of banned OU Pokemon, to those who don't know. So UU can't be made officially yet due to some constraints in OU.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rain is ridiculous. It's on like 75% of teams and, to quote someone on PO, "It's always the freaking same: Politoed lead, Kingdra, Mana, Natt, and Zap."

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have a question. Say that Manaphy or Drizzle don't get a majority this round. Would they still need one more simple majority to get banned, or would they need another two in a row to get the banhammer?

I hate this meta. I made a good rain team WITHOUT politoed, I used the opponents rain, there is so much of it.

I agree. Rain isn't necessarily broken (now there's going to be a whole argument about it), it's just very powerful and difficult to counter. Yet it doesn't matter how powerful it is, it's about creating an enjoyable and competitive metagame. The metagame is simply not enjoyable with all of these rain teams.

Wtf.. I waited untill the obviously banned were gone, but now all I see is frickin rain teams. It's ridiculous, Drizzle is broken now as ever.

My previous post contradicts this, but now that scarfed Skymin is gone to flinch these soaking suckers to death, it's pretty overpowered. I say ban Drizzle and with it Drought (maybe even Sand Stream).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Good job Phil for making this thread so quickly. This round is going to be hell o_o

Also Super deserves hearty thanks for fixing up the server (various times).

Oh goody, a nice metagame with Manaphy running about everywhere and I'm minus a Skymin to check non-CM versions (not that I'm complaining about Skymin going)

And more dragons of course. I think I'm going to give the next few weeks a miss.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yet it doesn't matter how powerful it is, it's about creating an enjoyable and competitive metagame.
that's kind of the opposite of true..

Though i am interested to hear what makes you think rain is "not competitive". It seems just as competitive as anything else.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
We only need to get rid of Drizzle. Outside of Rain, Manaphy is fine. It's slow enough that loads of stuff can easily revenge it even though it's quite powerful.

Okay guys, this round, we make history. First, we get rid of Manaphy and Drizzle. Next, I'm gunning for Deo-D. Deo-S can stay now that he has more checks than he used to, but I still expect to see him around as the occasional lead or mixed sweeper.
I agree with why you'd want Drizzle banned, but I do feel that Manaphy should be given a chance at play without infinite rain this gen.

Why Deoxys-D is my big question. It's not particularly overpowering. It has a great support movepool, potent defensive capabilities, but Taunt ruins even offensive ones, as it badly needs Calm Mind to inflict any damage at all.

Deoxys-D can't really function by itself. Status, especially Toxic, hurts non-Resttalk versions pretty badly, and though it can carry Recover, any set with Recover likely has no decent offensive move and gets wrecked up by Taunt.

Because the OP doesn't list all of the Ubers, and since the site's BW directory hasn't been made yet, I present to you all the banlist as it stands currently:

Code:
[B]Abilities[/B]
Inconsistent

[B]Pokémon[/B]
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys-A
Deoxys
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Zekrom
Fortunately I think we've figured out how to take less risk in laddering and gain rating better- namely SJcrew's method of actually using the rating difference limits.
lol why is the simple act of reducing your rating difference named after SJCrew? PO's rating system is heavily flawed regardless (parking accounts, "blitzing" accounts being rewarded as much as building them up over time, etc.) but there's nothing we can do about that. (Honestly, though, an additional measure of some sort is sounding more and more appealing.)

Concerning sun, looking at the Chlorophyll Pokémon who can outrun Scarf Garchomp is incredibly depressing.

Also, I'm guessing that the Drizzle ban train has made up its mind, but how about less dangerous alternatives? Could we just ban Manaphy or Swift Swim or both? It does look like the Water power boost might be enough to send everything over the edge, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)