np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunter

Banned deucer.
I think that SJCrew is right. Why do we need to keep drizzle??
This is not the way bans work. Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit (the burden of the proof lies on the accuser). Drizzle has been part of the metagame for quite a while and if now you want to ban it, then you have to prove it's broken.

To what extent does the end justify the means?

@XienZo

Why must this 'playstyle' be preserved? What benefits does it bring to the Metagame? Does the benefits of Drizzle out way the negatives? - and thus lead to a more desirable Metagame. Can we even undoubtedly prove anything without a suspect ladder?

I have started a thread which revolves around the topic of why something should or should not be banned in general.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450326

Feel free to contribute your opinion on the matter. Likewise to everyone else.
I've read your thread and the matter that it regards, but from my perspective, those were never the real questions.

Why?

Because everyone knows that Rain Offense unhindered is pretty much broken. No one will dispute that.

We all know we need some sort of solution to keep Rain Offense from being overpowered.

That's why we have our 4 solutions:

1. Alderon's Proposal

2. Drizzle Ban

3. SwSw Ban

4. Individual Abuser Ban

While it's interesting to reason whether we should be preserving playstyles or not, what we should be doing is ultimately weighing the pros and cons of each solution to see which one accomplishes what we desire for the least cost of implementation.

The problem is, people are being too caught up on minor issues within each ban, such as your "Are playstyles worth saving?"

While those questions may be useful to answer, ultimately, to make our choice on which solution we choose, and we will need to choose one to keep rain offense under control, we need to start comparing each solution to each other.

For example, the issue of whether a Drizzle ban's cost of removing playstyles seems fairly minor, considering how, from my perspective, the potential perks of a Drizzle ban are likewise minor/nonexistent, and there remain additional costs/problems with its implementation aside from the playstyle issue.

tl;dr: No point seeing "if the ends justify the means" if we don't even know if the "ends" are even better than that of other solutions, which, IMO, it is not.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
From what i've seen, the biggest part of the reason why sand is the most popular weather (from what i've seen) is because many people use it to handle the other weathers. It is arguably the most balanced of all 3. What we need to do is decide ( or just keep them in OU ) if any are broken and which need to be banned. IMO, Drizzle is the broken one. And, judging from many other voters, it is too. However, the community is VERY split up on this subject. A 32-39 voting results shows this. Many people are not exactly sure what to do with Drizzle. And we probably won't fully decide for a good while.

So as stupid as the above paragraph is, heres what i'm trying to say. The community needs to decide what is the best way to deal with Drizzle. There are a few ways to do this.

1. Bring Smogon Council back. This will show what the most competitive members in Smogon will think about this subject.
2. Continue the suspect test to decide if drizzle will be banned after certien metagame changes. (we're doing this right now)

There are probably many other ways to do this. But I can't think of them because i'm pretty tired.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
If drizzle isn't broken, why is Aldaron's Proposal in place? Why does one half of the community want to ban it while the other half is trying to manage it with another ban?

Drizzle is one of the main reasons why tyranitar and ferrothorn are the top of the usage stats. Sand has become mainstream because, while one of the best answers to rain, it's also a damn good playstyle on it's own.

I think that drizzle does ovecentralize the metagame. It's just harder to see because drizzle is a playstyle, not a single pokemon, a focal point that sits at the center of the well which the metagame is bent around.

Drizzle = gen IV garchomp and sand, ferrothorn ect. = garchomp counters.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're unfamiliar with my solution, it's to repeal Alderon's proposal and then suspect test and potentially simple ban weather abusing threats. "Threats", as used here, describe Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops, Thunderous, Excadrill, and the like. Nothing complex about it.
We had a debate about this earlier. While I agree with the idea of repealing Aldaron's proposal and taking complex bans off of the table for good, this entails an even greater evil, which is bringing Swift Swimmers back into the metagame to, quite literally, test the waters. Letting back even the likes of Qwilfish, who isn't broken on its own, but still fairly powerful, is still adding more power to Drizzle for no good reason and gives players even higher incentive to ban it. At this point, I think most people are done with the Swift Swimmers and are fine with Luvdisc and company banned under the clause.

We don't need it to balance the other weathers. This "weather wars" argument is stupid. Sand is everywhere right now as a preemptive measure against rain. Drought is held back. Hail is nonexistent. How exactly do the weathers balance each other? All I see is one weather so powerful that it requires several special treatments, supersedes one weather and drives the other into overuse to check it.
For as much as I agree with this, Sand simply isn't doing its job this round. I'm seeing a lot of good players switch to Drizzle, which coincidentally gives them more incentive to abuse Thundurus. The ladder is just overflowing with Rain right now. It's awful.

But @ the rest of the post: Good shit, man. Preach it.

"Counters."

No.

Drizzle is broken. It has survived four suspect rounds because we're trying to ascertain if we can salvage it with complex bans. The votes have in no way proved drizzle OU. Round four clearly illustrated how the community is divided over drizzle. A 49-51 vote to keep drizzle doesn't mean that it's OU worthy, fine as it is or manageable. It means that the majority of players believe that it's broken, but can't agree on the best way to deal with it.
Actually, iirc it was 39-32, with 6 votes not even considered due to not mattering at all. While those 6 votes could have been for banning Drizzle, they could also have been for not banning it, so it's possible it wasn't as close as you think.

Also, we've only had 1 complex ban so far, that being Aldaron's Proposal, and now we are trying to get that repealed in order to return to simple Pokemon bans. Quit trying to make it seem like we're going to absurd lengths to keep something OU; in fact, it seems like you would be the ones doing so, since you are trying to ban an Ability in order to keep Pokemon broken in Rain in OU.

I think that SJCrew is right. Why do we need to keep drizzle??
IMO, it's not that we need to keep drizzle; it's that only Pokemon can be broken, so they should be banned. Considering how long people have been arguing about this, though, I doubt either side will budge on their opinions.

If it goes, sand might dominate, yeah. What's wrong with sand dominating though? It was the gen IV metagame, and it was never considered ban worthy. Granted, we have offensive sand abusers now, but none are currently considered problematic save excadrill. Sand is top dog right now, and I think I can safely say that we're all fine with that.
Wait, I'm confused. Sand is top dog, but Rain is overpowered? WTF!? That seems... odd.

I think that we should just ban drizzle though. We're never going to stop arguing about it, and there will always be another alternative that's going to sway some people, maybe enough to tie another vote. There are so many possible routes that we could take involving pokemon bans, complex bans, combination bans, and other crazy stuff that borders on stupidity just to keep drizzle in OU. I'm talking about a supposed event horizon where we've banned numerous pokemon, implemented several complex bans, or hampered the metagame in several ways that bend it around drizzle that it becomes apparent how broken it is by virtue of how much it takes to balance it. And then where are we? We've twisted the metagame into a broken testing ground while squandering several months of suspect testing time, and if we finally do decide unanimously that drizzle is broken (and hell has frozen over) it's going to take six months of foot dragging and backtracking to stabilize the metagame once more (because some things will have changed.)
That is a serious overstatement. The only "event horizon" we should need is those banned numerous Pokemon, and even then we don't know exactly how many Pokemon are actually broken, just a rough guesstimate of how many we think are broken. There's a difference, especially if we go with the fact that apparently everything that "abuses" Rain is broken, as if to say that we can't have a top powerful strategy that is just that: a top powerful strategy (even then, unless those 10% of teams with Politoed make up the top 10% of players, it's not a top strategy; can't know that though, so I'll just assume it is).

I don't really consider sand a proper weather. In gen IV it was considered an omnipresent battle condition like stealth rock. Now it's just being lumped together with drizzle and drought. It doesn't share the myriad beneficial effects that drought and drizzle do. There are no offensive characteristics that make it threatening on it's own, and you have to run specific pokemon with certain abilities to gain any benefits from it's presence. While drizzle alters type resistances and assists certain moves, sand has no similar effects. Any broken aspects come from the abusers, not the sand itself. IMO this is (partly) why we all want excadrill banned instead of sand. Weather wars means nothing when we talk about banning drizzle. It keeps sun in check (read: holds it back) and promotes sand use. Sand doesn't need to be kept in check, and drought would finally get a chance to flourish without rain trumping it. If more pokemon saw increased use because of drought, I'd call that positive metagame diversity and a good reason to get rid of drizzle.
Red parts are also applicable to Drizzle, or it could be if the Anti-Drizzle supporters let it. Also, did you forget that Sand gives 1.5x SpD for Rock types? Maybe you did, since not as many Rock types can take advantage of it as the Pokemon that can take advantage of Drizzle, but that's basically giving them a resistance to every special attack in the game. We can only thank Arceus that Rock types usually have shitty SpD anyways. But that's a big point; many things get the same benefits from weather, but only a few of them can really use it at all, let alone abuse it to the point of brokenness. Those individuals that can abuse it to that point are what needs to be banned imo. Finally, on that last note about Drought, why does drought need the opportunity to flourish? If a strategy cannot deal with the current top strategy (assuming this is Drizzle, it's more likely to me that it is Sand), then it is unviable in the metagame, simple as that. To ban the top strategy just to allow strategies that it beats into the metagame is foolhardy, unless the top strategy is the only viable one, which it seems like it isn't, since Rain is not what's 21-25% of the metagame right now.

We don't need it to balance the other weathers. This "weather wars" argument is stupid. Sand is everywhere right now as a preemptive measure against rain. Drought is held back. Hail is nonexistent. How exactly do the weathers balance each other? All I see is one weather so powerful that it requires several special treatments, supersedes one weather and drives the other into overuse to check it.
I think I could see this more if Drizzle and Sandstorm were closer in usage, and more of the metagame. For the past two months, however, Drizzle has been 1/10 of every team, while Sandstorm has been somewhere between 1/5 and 1/4 of it. That's a pretty sizable amount, which leads me to believe that there is more to it than "I run Sand to beat Rain" like you say. Drizzle hasn't received "several special treatments"; currently, 1 Pokemon has been banned for being broken under Drizzle, and 1 strategy has been banned that needs Drizzle to even exist, with this ban currently wanting to be repealed in order to ban the Pokemon that are broken instead of the general strategy.

If this quote below from another thread is how most Smogonites feel, however, then allow me to excuse myself from this discussion, as continued discourse would be a waste of time for me if the premier competitive Pokemon site isn't as competitive as I thought it was.

And although the paragraphs you quoted are something I think can easily apply to Pokemon and should be thought of in competitive play, I'd say Smogon is far beyond that. The way banning in Smogon's metagame is done is through majority rule of players who play the game enough to be able to vote on how to change it. It may not make for a competitive game in the traditional definition of the word in video games, but it makes for a more fun game for them which I think is the aim of the suspect testing process.
As an added note, on the issue of testing Swift Swimmers, I am very disappointed that not a single post that even replied to mine said anything at all about my proposed solution. I mean, I didn't expect people to agree, but not even a mention? Really? Not even to tell me how terrible of an idea it is? First they only went on about some of the terrible parts of my first post, and then my next post only got comments from the metaphor. Constructive criticism and consideration, not alliteration guys, that's all I'm asking at minimum.

Just noting that the vote was 39 for Drizzle staying and 32 against it. I'm opposed to a council, but I am a little disconcerted with how things that have been voted OU again and again keep getting put on the chopping block. For example, Excadrill has been a suspect for every single round now, and always voted OU, so why is it still being nominated as a suspect? I'll likely make a PR topic on this subject depending on how the next few votes go, but I feel there should be a point where something is no longer elligible to be a suspect after being voted OU multiple times in a row. And yes, by extension, I hope this applies to weather too.

Ironicly ninja'd by Ninja_13

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just noting that the vote was 39 for Drizzle staying and 32 against it. I'm opposed to a council, but I am a little disconcerted with how things that have been voted OU again and again keep getting put on the chopping block. For example, Excadrill has been a suspect for every single round now, and always voted OU, so why is it still being nominated as a suspect? I'll likely make a PR topic on this subject depending on how the next few votes go, but I feel there should be a point where something is no longer elligible to be a suspect after being voted OU multiple times in a row. And yes, by extension, I hope this applies to weather too.

Ironicly ninja'd by Ninja_13
I agree, the way things are going now it's only a matter of time until something like excadrill or latios gets the right pool of voters, and banned. IMO if it is nominated 3 rounds in a row and voted OU it should not be up for nomination again.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No.

If it goes, sand might dominate, yeah. What's wrong with sand dominating though? It was the gen IV metagame, and it was never considered ban worthy. Granted, we have offensive sand abusers now, but none are currently considered problematic save excadrill. Sand is top dog right now, and I think I can safely say that we're all fine with that.
Sand was the metagame because the only viable undicers were Sand inducers.

It was never considered ban worthy but you'll notice that the one pokemon who was able to effectively abuse Sand (Garchomp) was banned.

Excadrill is currently not problematic in large part to other weather presence nerfing it. Remove rain and Landorus/Terakion/Reuniclus usage will skyrocket.

Funny how you argue to ban rain because it's broken and then go and say Sand is the best weather. Don't make bullshit claims like that again please, if you want to go and say that everybody likes it with only sand (and some sun and hail) then make a poll and get some numbers to back it up. I for one would despise a Sand-oriented metagame because a) 90% of the teams would be based on sand abuse, b) the other 10% would be based around countering sand teams (suna nd hail would fall under this), c) you will have destroyed diversity by removing sand's dominant check, rain.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
In my opinion, if something gets a simple majority and doesn't get a simple majority the next round, it should not be elligible to be a suspect until the status quo changes. That doesn't mean a ban of anything else would change the status quo. It would need to be the ban of a major check or counter to it. If you look at the DPP suspect process, which I would consider to be pretty successful, suspects only had two chances to be voted on (in Stage 2 and 3).

haunter

Banned deucer.
Echoing what Kevin Garret said. We need to limit the number of times something can be nominated or we'll just end up banning everything as soon as the correct voting pool is formed. This is something to be discussed in PR, though.

If something isn’t broken then it shouldn’t matter how many times it gets nominated. As time progresses, people’s perception of things may change (see the case of 4th gen Salamence). Preventing a certain Pokemon from being nominated is irrational and only hinders the process.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Ghelmss switched in Excadrill!
Excadrill is floating on a ballloon!
The sun continues to shine.

Volcorona used fire blast!
Volcorona's attack missed!

Excadrill used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
Volcorona lost 90% of it's health!

I swear, using jolly balloon excadrill should be considered a bannable offense. I wish I saw more adamant balloon/LO or jolly LO users. Then I could finally see if he's truly breaking anything.

Edit: Unrelated to anything, but...

Start of turn 20
The foe's Gliscor used Protect!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Dugtrio used Memento!
Dugtrio fainted!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Po is a great program and everything, but sometimes I wonder if we can really get accurate results by playing on it most of the time.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't worry Ada, the "status quo shift" clause covers that. I think this triple jeopardy concept is a great idea.

EDIT: Rofl, jolly balloon excadrill is a bad set. Replace with adamant balloon plz.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If drizzle isn't broken, why is Aldaron's Proposal in place? Why does one half of the community want to ban it while the other half is trying to manage it with another ban?

Drizzle is one of the main reasons why tyranitar and ferrothorn are the top of the usage stats. Sand has become mainstream because, while one of the best answers to rain, it's also a damn good playstyle on it's own.

I think that drizzle does ovecentralize the metagame. It's just harder to see because drizzle is a playstyle, not a single pokemon, a focal point that sits at the center of the well which the metagame is bent around.

So we can determine what is broken...!Why do you blame drizzle for overpowering the SSers and not the SSers for overpowering drizzle???
Stop being so close minded and look at the bigger picture....The fact that you did such a question shows how biased you are...You think that aldaron's proposal exists because drizzle was overpowered which is not true...Nor drizzle nor the SS ability are broken...
Every individual rain abuser is and this is what we must ban...!
I honestly cannot understand why people are so quick to accuse drizzle for overpowering the SSers and not the other way around...
And pls no 'SS is not broken in rain dance enviroment bullshit' 'cause drizzle is not overpowered without the SSers also(as we have seen in the 4th suspect test)!

@SJCrew As Pocket showed drizzle makes more or less 20 pokes viable in ou and this is a very good reason to keep it!Also on your point about vaporeon and tentacruel yes they are good even without drizzle BUT in drizzle conditions vaporeon for example plays in a completely different way and serves a different niche...And that's what matters!
Many different sets and niches promote variety and this is a good thing!So yes vaporeon is a rain abusers and we should avoid removing his niche under drizzle if there are better solutions..And there are!
Ban the abusers!'Till now the broken rain abusers were 3!
If we let the SSers in ou 4 more will be banned at worst(omastar,poliwrath,smash passers)imo!So that is 7 bans maximum!
Banning 7 pokes is much better than banning 20 pokes and removing entire playstyles so i believe that banning the abusers is the way to go!!!

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
EDIT: Rofl, jolly balloon excadrill is a bad set. Replace with adamant balloon plz.
Yeah, it was used by this one guy who told me to challenge him as proof of Swampert being amazing. He said balloon Excadrill with a jolly nature was the best set. Well, it didn't work out too well for him as you can see. >_>

Weather is tricky. The best way to fight weather is with your own weather, which means there is little reason not to use toed/tar/tales. The weathers balance each other, sure. Since you need a weather inducer to keep up, it makes most team builds incredibly stale and repetitive. If you run tar it is pointless not to dory or landlos. If you run toed you might as well abuse hydro pump and thunder in the rain. Same with sun and chlorophyll and volcarona. Even weatherless teams have to run stuff like Heatran to combat sun, Rotom to combat rain, and Skarm/Glis/Zong to counter sand. And most good weather teams realize this and have stuff like Dugtrio to trap Heatran, Rotom to beat Skarm/Glis/Zong, and Ferrothorn on rain to beat Rotom. Granted, there is nothing actually broken or really wrong with this as has been said, but I still think something like clear skies should be given a chance.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
So we can deterine what is broken...!Why do you blame drizzle for overpowering the SSers and not the SSers for overpowering drizzle???
Stop being so close minded and look at the bigger picture....The fact that you did such a question shows how biased you are...You think that aldaron's proposal exists because drizzle was overpowered which is not true...Nor drizzle nor the SS ability are broken...
Every individual rain abuser is and this is what we must ban...!
I honestly cannot understand why people are so quick to accuse drizzle for overpowering the SSers and not the other way around...
And pls no 'SS is not broken in rain dance enviroment bullshit' 'cause drizzle is not overpowered without the SSers also(as we have seen in the 4th suspect test)!
Oh fuck me.

Alexwolf...

This post is utterly ridiculous. I'm trying so hard to refrain from posting in huge red caps right now...

Okay. Firstly, "I disagree is not a valid argument!! I see so many people that post in this thread quote someone else's post, usually a long, thought out one and try to invalidate it with "I disagree." No counter argument, just a you're wrong, my opinion is the only acceptable one. (Everyone,) If you're going to debate in this thread you need to actually debate.

Why do you blame drizzle for overpowering the SSers and not the SSers for overpowering drizzle???
Drizzle provides infinite rain. This is a major step up from damp rock rain dance, as you can't stall out the turns, and a swift swimmer can pop in for a revenge kill or sweep at any time. Drizzle makes swift swimmers a constant threat. Also, if excadrill is making scarf use invalid you don't NEED swsw. Drizzle will be overpowered with the use of almost any decent water type sweeper. (obvious hyperbole)

Stop being so close minded
I'm going to pretend that you didn't say that.

look at the bigger picture....The fact that you did such a question shows how biased you are
What bigger picture?

.You think that aldaron's proposal exists because drizzle was overpowered which is not true...Nor drizzle nor the SS ability are broken...
Huhwha? Not true? Explain. "Prove it"

Pure drizzle is broken. We removed swift swim to try and make it not broken.

You're arguing semantics. Drizzle is so much more than a speed boost.

We had a debate about this earlier. While I agree with the idea of repealing Aldaron's proposal and taking complex bans off of the table for good, this entails an even greater evil, which is bringing Swift Swimmers back into the metagame to, quite literally, test the waters. Letting back even the likes of Qwilfish, who isn't broken on its own, but still fairly powerful, is still adding more power to Drizzle for no good reason and gives players even higher incentive to ban it. At this point, I think most people are done with the Swift Swimmers and are fine with Luvdisc and company banned under the clause.
Yes, we've had this debate before, but I don't believe we've ever finished it:

Letting in Qwilfish alone seems to give more power to Rain Offense teams, but as I've said before, other non SwSw abusers, such as Thunderous, would also be suspect tested as we just did, and would likely be banned.

That is, while we're letting minor threats back in, you can't ignore how the solution will also remove non SwSw major threats such as Thunderous that Alderon's Proposal never touched in the first place.

The main problem isn't how Luvdisc is "unfairly" banned. It's how Alderon's Proposal fails to address rain abusing threats that don't have SwSw, but are still equally as broken as the SwSw abusers themselves.

And for that matter, none of the other solutions can actually address weather abusing threats in other weathers; they all provide no contingency plan for if the same situation happens again with a different weather after rain offense is sufficiently balanced.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
drizzle conditions vaporeon for example plays in a completely different way and serves a different niche...And that's what matters!
Um, no. Like I said earlier, Vaporeon is still a good Pokemon with Water Absorb, and won't be made unviable by Drizzle leaving. Even if it did (like Toxicroak would be), something else just as good, if not better would take its place. Something like Alomomola, for instance, who performs mostly the same support role as Vaporeon, but uses its Attack stat instead.

As Pocket showed drizzle makes more or less 20 pokes viable in ou and this is a very good reason to keep it!
This argument again. "Metagame diversity" is not an objective most serious players would concern them with. Centralization is one matter, but worrying about how many otherwise mediocre are Pokemon making it to OU is completely missing the point of why we're doing this in the first place (hint: it has something to do with a balanced metagame most of us enjoy).

If anything, their dependency on a single weather effect makes them unreliable, especially when you consider something like Toxicroak, who's OU only because of Drizzle and really isn't that great to begin with. If Toxicroak is made unviable once Drizzle leaves, we're not going to shed tiers for it, we're just going to replace it with something better and more usable in common metagame conditions.

20 Pokemon losing viability once Drizzle is gone could just as easily mean 20 more Pokemon taking their place. Maybe just 15. Either way, we're not playing a worse metagame without Drizzle. It'll be different for sure, but Toxicroak and friends losing OU viability doesn't make us any worse off. Why not start using Arcanine, Infernape, Victini, or Darmanitan to prepare for Drought? Those Pokemon become extremely viable without Drizzle around.

Also, I can just as easily name several things that are made less/unviable with Drizzle around.

- Fire-tyes
- Fire moves

Metagame diversity!

No, seriously, those types of arguments don't mean anything. We should aim to get rid of Pokemon that are so unbalanced that most of us are almost forced to use it, but aside from that, we'll proceed as normal and just use what is or becomes viable in the metagame around it, regardless of whether or not former UUs get a second in the spotlight.

well concerning the Balloon jolly Excadrill thing ealier the crime is balloon jolly SD the Spinner should be jolly as to check other excadrill (seriously underrated set BTW).

and about weening the Swift Swimmers back in i actually sugested something similar over on the PO toed suspect thread only as the Complex ban was never imlemented i had proposed banning Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops, and Thundurus (who is arguably broken outside of rain in it...) for a month then a vote on toed's fate as the Community is against Complex bans, then retest Kabutops and Ludicolo individually if People feel that there are no other rain bans to consider.

Here on the other hand i'll retest some of the weaker SS pokes grouped together (maybe 3 or 4 at a time, possible 2 as we approach the more dangerous ones) then individually once the stronger ones are reached this is because it would be a mistake to throw everyone back into that mess out of nowhere. pacing this is the key reintroduce the SS'ers to quickly and there could be trouble, to slowly we'll be here till gen 6 is announced.

but the 2 issues with alderon's proposal barring the obvious one which is the source of a long and tired debate is that it bans a large number of pokemon who haven't been proven to be broken and that it fails to address the non-SS pokes who are just as if not more broken than the top SS pokes.

Edit: @SJCrew so variety is a sin i wonder how many of us actually like a change from the constant reruns of the same pokemon that is OU and your arguement against rian fire moves and fire types are less viable is far from true there are these wonderous things called Snadstream and more significantly Drought which negate the power depletion of fire moves and actually does the same thing to water moves while powering up fire ones in drought's case "fire types and fire moves are just as viable unless sand and sun go but for whatever reason rain doesn't.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh fuck me.

Alexwolf...

This post is utterly ridiculous. I'm trying so hard to refrain from posting in huge red caps right now...
The fact that you don't understand it doesn't mean that it is ridiculous...Anyway i will try to explain even further...

Okay. Firstly, "I disagree is not a valid argument!! I see so many people that post in this thread quote someone else's post, usually a long, thought out one and try to invalidate it with "I disagree." No counter argument, just a you're wrong, my opinion is the only acceptable one. (Everyone,) If you're going to debate in this thread you need to actually debate.
Every claim in this paragraph had solid proofs to back it up!Anyway let me be more specific...I said that nor SS nor Drizzle are broken and i trusted that you could understand why...SS outside of drizzle is not broken!Drizzle without the SSers is not broken(as proven by the last suspect test).So the problem is somewhere else...You get it now?

Drizzle provides infinite rain. This is a major step up from damp rock rain dance, as you can't stall out the turns, and a swift swimmer can pop in for a revenge kill or sweep at any time. Drizzle makes swift swimmers a constant threat. Also, if excadrill is making scarf use invalid you don't NEED swsw. Drizzle will be overpowered with the use of almost any decent water type sweeper. (obvious hyperbole)
What relevance has any of them to do with what i said???Did i said that damp rock rain dance is better thatn drizzle???No!
What i said is that you cannot accuse drizzle for overpowering the SSers!
Why do you blame drizzle???
Of 'course some SSers are broken under drizzle condition!What does this mean?That when the ability SS and Drizzle are combined we have a deadly combination!Even better if the pokes with the ss ability have the stats to abuse them...
Also seeing as you mention how SS is not broken under 8 turns i will tell you again:Drizzle is not broken also without SS so...Each element relies absolutely to the other to have the potential to be broken!Drizzle + SS have the potential to be broken on some pokes!Drizzle or SS alone not!So nor drizzle nor SS are broken on their own!Do you get it???

I'm going to pretend that you didn't say that.
Whatever...

What bigger picture?
That drizzle is not broken!You just face it like this 'cause it is the new element and SS already existed!I am 100% sure that if we already had Drizzle in our metagame and the SS ability was the new element you would be after SS for overpowering the metagame...

Huhwha? Not true? Explain. "Prove it"
I already did you just didn't realized it...

Pure drizzle is broken. We removed swift swim to try and make it not broken.
Nope!SS was forbidden under driizle so that we could more easy search for the broken element!'Cause we weren't sure!If you were sure from then,then this is another reason that makes you biased.If you were so quick to judge drizzle then your bad...

You're arguing semantics. Drizzle is so much more than a speed boost.
You didn't get me...I just wanted to show that neither of the abilities are broken on their own.They have the potential to break a poke when used in conjuction!And when did i say that drizzle is a mere speed boost?Pls tell me...

Something like Alomomola, for instance, who performs mostly the same support role as Vaporeon, but uses its Attack statinstead.
Actually, Alo's offenses are both terrible. It's best bet is just to ToxiStall, or use Scald for the Burn chance. Waterfall isn't gonna be hurting anything, but Scald helps Alomomola cripple things like Ferrothorn.

----

My feelings on Drizzle have been stated multiple times, however, this time, I'm going to be explaining something a little different.

Right now, we've already made a complex ban to save Drizzle. Swift Swim + Drizzle.

Anyone who says that banning Kingdra and co was the right solution is likly wrong. This is mainly because Drizzle is borderline broken as it is already. Imagine if it had the likes of Swift Swim Floatzel, and Goyebass as well on top of what it has now?

Then there's the issue of how far we have to go to save Drizzle, to me, it's seeming like 4th Gen Mence all over again. Scizor was everywhere to deal with Mence. Sand is everywhere, and teams that don't run sand run Ferrothorn or Virizion, two of the very few checks to Drizzle teams. Many Sand teams have started running Rotom-W with Thunder, from my observations. Thunder Rotom-W is kinda useless in the Sand...

I mean, look at what Drizzle does:

It undoubtedly breaks Kingdra and Manaphy
It probobly breaks Ludicolo and Kabutops
It might break several other Swift Swimmers
It makes Thunderus more broken
It makes Rotom-W a juggernaught
It makes CB Azumarill obliterate literally anything that dosen't resist Water or have Skarmory-like defenses
It makes Ferrothorn even more inpregnable
It makes Fire-type attacks less viable in the metagame
It gives many pokemon who use Water as a coverage move more power, such as Latios and Hydregion [He can use Surf, belive it or not]
It allows Hurricane Spam from Tornadus and Dragonite [And other non-viable pokemon]
It makes Rain Stall possible.

---

So far to save Drizzle, we have:

Implemented a Complex ban, which has opened the floodgates for things like Ability + Pokemon bans.

Banned Manaphy

Even after this, Drizzle got a 31 - 39 vote to ban it, which may range from 37-39 to 31-45, with even the most pro-Drizzle vote possible hardly being resounding [Not even 66%, which, bear in mind is what you need to auto-ban something]

We may be banning Thunderous [Although the degree this is Drizzle's Fault varies, but Thunderus benifits from Thunder, and from more Waters in the metagame <_<]

-------------

Also, on the topic of stopping things being re-nominated, I propose this, since I can't post in PR:

If a Supermajority [66% +] is given to keep a pokemon or Ability at any point, it is unable to be nominated again until the situation changes.

If <33% is too tight, 20% seems a sensible option.

Of course, Abstains would have to be factored in as pro-ban for the purposes of this limit, because Abstain means that the voter hasn't made their mind up, and thus, needs more time to come to a conclusion. Making something impossible to be tested again... defys the reason why those people abstained.

Anyone who says that banning Kingdra and co was the right solution is likly wrong. This is mainly because Drizzle is borderline broken as it is already. Imagine if it had the likes of Swift Swim Floatzel, and Goyebass as well on top of what it has now?
Every slot you're using for a Floatzel is a slot you aren't using for Ferro, Thunderous, or Starmie.

The main point of suspect testing individual abusers is so we can actually get those "other" non-SwSw broken pokemon out of the metagame, because the problem was never restricted to SwSw pokemon themselves.

That is, banning Kingdra and co, could potentially ban guys like Thunderous, Tornadous, and other non SwSw weather abusers.

And there's no guarantee that Gorebyss will even be suspect tested OU as is.

If something isn’t broken then it shouldn’t matter how many times it gets nominated. As time progresses, people’s perception of things may change (see the case of 4th gen Salamence). Preventing a certain Pokemon from being nominated is irrational and only hinders the process.
Unfortunately, for all our best attempts to prevent it, the exact pool of suspect voters is semi-random. The fear is that one possible random pool of voters will decide to veto 7 rounds of people voting for something to remain OU basically on a whim. It's unlikely to happen, but it is a possibility.

Personally, I think that preventing Pokemon from being suspect is a great idea for a completely different reason - to prevent discussion of it from filling up these threads (which keeps us from talking about the real problems in the metagame as much as we should).

I would suggest that instead of a Pokemon being made permanently non-suspect (barring metagame shifts), we instead implement a system where if a Pokemon failed to get a simple majority twice, it can't be discussed in these threads/nominated for two rounds (barring emergencies as determined solely by the staff). This would keep things from clogging up every single suspect round like they currently do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)