np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't lucario learn stone edge though? With volcorona around, I'd say that he should be running it, lest you become setup fodder when it catches you with your pants down.
If Lucario uses stone edge it can no use the amazing prority of extreme speed or the coverage or crunch and ice punch, which will make it walled by both Gliscor and Ghosts. The only sets that can actually use stone edge effectily are choice band and scarf, and still being locked into stone edge sucks.

The Gyarados set I'm talking about doesn't carry Waterfall. Its the Dragon Tail+Roar+Rest+Sleep Talk set Pocket mentioned. Even though Crunch is only a 4HKO, would you care to calculate how long it'll take Gyarados to take down Lucario with Dragon Tail?
Wouldn't really matter much, though. Seeing as Dragon Tail would sent Lucario back its Pokeball, I don't think it's much of a factor. What's really important is that you stopped a Lucario sweep. Not to mention the potential residual damage froms spikes, if present.

Just for the record though.

286 Atk [Neutral Uninvested Gyarados] vs. 4/0 Lucario from 60 Base Power Dragon Tail-> 12.4% - 14.5%

Wouldn't really matter much, though. Seeing as Dragon Tail would sent Lucario back its Pokeball, I don't think it's much of a factor. What's really important is that you stopped a Lucario sweep. Not to mention the potential residual damage froms spikes, if present.

Just for the record though.

286 Atk [Neutral Uninvested Gyarados] vs. 4/0 Lucario from 60 Base Power Dragon Tail-> 12.4% - 14.5%
He said that Lucario was the last pokemon, AKA, D-tail does shit damage and nothing else.

Substitute isn't good on whimsicott though. Subseeder whimsicott doesn't work at all with rotom-W/Scizor and ferrothorn everywhere. Whimsicott is best used as a disrupter with encore, stun spore, and two filler moves. You can run taunt, but the ability to eternally encore a dragon dancer/ bulk upper/quiver dancer no matter how many boosts they get up is satisfying. And stun spore is your get out of jail free card too for speedy pokemon who may have put you in a bind as well.

Plus, whimsicott is insurance. No one in their right mind is going to attempt to use a setup sweeper as long as its still alive and on your team. You can use this to your advantage by outpredicting them as they predict the whimsicott switch in. Although I despise using whimsicott on drought teams, I have had a few successful turns in which my opponent's dragonite goes for the fire punch on my heatran when they expected the switch to whimsicott instead.

Honestly, I'm mainly parroting what Green Mage always says about whimsicott. But in short, don't bother using sub/protect on this pokemon. You hamper your utility for the glorious ability to do nothing in return.
I've heard this a few times and indeed, it's fairly rare that the predictability of subseed doesn't screw it...

He said that Lucario was the last pokemon, AKA, D-tail does shit damage and nothing else.
That makes a lot more sense. My mistake, but to be fair, I don't think it was mentioned in the post I quoted nor the post quoted within his post. I backtracked and saw it in the prior posts, though.

In the absence of Excadrill and Thundurus, I'm surprised I haven't encountered D-nite and Volcarona more. Terrakion is much more common than it once was, albeit, that was expected.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO Terrakion has taken Excadrill's place as "the physical sweeper". With Rock Polish and Swords Dance, Terrakion is very much capable of obtaining that +2 +2 that made Excadrill so fearsome. While in most games, you'll only be able to obtain one of those boosts, one is often enough. It seems that teams are gravitating towards either heavy offense or full stall. Well guess what? Rock Polish annhilates heavy offense and Swords Dance lays a beat down on stall. Choice Band Terrakion is also an absolute monster. The only safe way to beat it without revenge killing is to use Slowbro or Mew. As well, the Choice Scarf set is now more viable than ever. It still revenge kills Salamence, Volcorona and crew as always. It now no longer needs to worry about Excadrill outspeeding and "revenge revenge killing" it. IMO, expect Terrakion to be around 15 ish in usage by the end of the month. Expect to see a lot more Landoruses as well. Sand Offense, while nerfed, is by no means dead. Landorus and Terrakion are more than enough to ensure this playstyle is still viable. These two are also a lot less predictable than Excadrill as well, so players can use it to their advantage.

Honestly, I have no clue why the hell Volcorona usage hasn't spiked yet. The thing doesn't even need sun to absolutely dominate. TBH, the only environment it doesn't like is sand. Volcorona beats like every hail team by itself. I guess the only explanation is that the best rapid spinner in the game is now gone and Volcorona needs a new dance partner. However, even without rapid spin support, every set is still viable except offensive QD Volcorona. Dragonite usage is already high enough, don't expect it to rise that much.

Actually, I find it quite hard to get +2 +2 boosts for terrakion.
Usually I just try to get one kind of boost per match depending on the opponent's team.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I find it quite hard to get +2 +2 boosts for terrakion.
Usually I just try to get one kind of boost per match depending on the opponent's team.
Yeah, I said that Terrakion would more likely than not only be able to get one of the two boosts. But its by no means impossible to get +2 +2. Terrakion doesn't have trash bulk.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I said that Terrakion would more likely than not only be able to get one of the two boosts. But its by no means impossible to get +2 +2. Terrakion doesn't have trash bulk.

yeah, it really isn't that hard

step 1) force a switch

step2) if next pokemon cant ko terrakion in one shot set up other boost

step 3) gg

Btw has anyone used band terrakion? it 2hkoes hippowdon even with a neutral nature after 1 layer of spikes. definatley worth not switching moves.

Btw has anyone used band terrakion? it 2hkoes hippowdon even with a neutral nature after sr. definatley worth not switching moves.
I use it. It makes sweeping with Dragonite that much easier by denting the things that would survive that first hit and status Dragonite. DD Dragonite + Fire Punch in the Sun literally wrecks everything besides Heatran. Dusclops isn't worried much either. I also got stopped by a couple of Sashed Cloyster/Mamo with Icicle Spear.

Counters for Terrakion are few and far between. What 3 counters do you speak of?
Actually looking at my team now, its only 2, for some reason I was thinking bronzong could take a hit, it can't.

I have hitmontop and celebi, Celebi walls all non choice versions. Hitmontop can take a hit from a choice Terrakion, and if its spamming close combat, I simply switch into Jellicent or Celebi, or just take a hit since it has a good chance of taking one and 1HKOing it back, I use protect to on it so I have enough health to take a hit no matter what.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually looking at my team now, its only 2, for some reason I was thinking bronzong could take a hit, it can't.

I have hitmontop and celebi, Celebi walls all non choice versions. Hitmontop can take a hit from a choice Terrakion, and if its spamming close combat, I simply switch into Jellicent or Celebi, or just take a hit since it has a good chance of taking one and 1HKOing it back, I use protect to on it so I have enough health to take a hit no matter what.
Max/Max hitmontop vs band terrakion before intimidate
219 - 258 (72.04% - 84.87%)

Max/Max hitmontop vs band terrakion after intimidate
145 - 172 (47.70% - 56.58%)

even after intimidate, max defense hitmontop still cant take a hit from band terrakion.

Max/Max hitmontop vs band terrakion before intimidate
219 - 258 (72.04% - 84.87%)

Max/Max hitmontop vs band terrakion after intimidate
145 - 172 (47.70% - 56.58%)

even after intimidate, max defense hitmontop still cant take a hit from band terrakion.
Factor in leftovers, it survives about 70% of the time. I just said I have protect to.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Factor in leftovers, it survives about 70% of the time. I just said I have protect to.

I understand that, but what about entry hazards such as spikes? that would lower your chances of surviving. Celebi is a good terrakion counter though if you predict correctly.

I understand that, but what about entry hazards such as spikes? that would lower your chances of surviving. Celebi is a good terrakion counter though if you predict correctly.
It can't really be a counter if it can't switch in freely, can it?
Especially with a possible X-Scissor...

Most spikes teams don't have Terrakion, it happens, but not all the time. They would have to play like perfectly though, because its kinda hard to abuse spikes with Terrakion, when I will send of Hitmontop in the first place to spin them away. I can imagine a situation when someone would play me like a piano and get spikes up, get rid of hitmontop, and then gen Terrakion out, but has yet to happen.

And I could just switch to Celebi after a close combat.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Most spikes teams don't have Terrakion, it happens, but not all the time. They would have to play like perfectly though, because its kinda hard to abuse spikes with Terrakion, when I will send of Hitmontop in the first place to spin them away. I can imagine a situation when someone would play me like a piano and get spikes up, get rid of hitmontop, and then gen Terrakion out, but has yet to happen.

And I could just switch to Celebi after a close combat.
True, true i myself actually use spikes support with my terrakion to score certain koes. (like hippowdon, and..........ironically hitmontop) and thats what i meant by celebi is a good counter (well, check due to X-Scissor) it can switch into a close combat and force terrakion out.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What about our newly-found Prankster Sableye? It can switch into a predicted Close Combat and greatly nerf Terrakion with priority Will-O-Wisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)