Metagame np: Stage 3 - 9(9) Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
45 | Hitmonchan | 5.175%
No. Fucking. Way.
According to Magnemite the only reason Chan was above the cutoff was because of BlameTruth using it in his recent RU videos.

Also: If RU usage stays roughly the same, we will get Aboma, Emboar, Banette, Virizion and I believe Skuntank next month (And lose Accelgor). (Though I don't see any of them except Skunk, Regular Banette and Regular Aboma (I doubt Hail will be that overcentralizing/broken) staying (Especially since I believe Reckless Emboar (And Contrary Serperior) will be released late this month))

Last edited:
sigilyph was broken when we had shiftry and spiritomb (our best dark-types) and u now want to retest sigilyph when we no longer have them ? QoL is right too sigi just shits on everything..

being 'curious' isn't a good reason to retest sigilyph ffs
nigga pls. Neither shiftry nor spiritomb switched in on sigi, but things like mega-audino, mega-camel, probo, uxie, mesprit, musharna all can. Not to mention theres several types of weather around now that are a lot more common used to outspeed, there's no BP users such as busken, bp got restricted to 1 user per team so sigi has less shenanigans with speed boost passing and in general the teams that the meta have now are a lot bulkier. It's worth a retest after 6 months, if it's broken still it will stay banned.

Bulkier teams being more prominent only means more things for Sigilyph to prey upon. Mega Audino doesn't have shit on it. Mega Camel is easy to take advantage of. Probo's always been there and hasn't been relevant up until now AND it's only good in an offensive role which means it can very well lose to Sigi. Uxie just forces a CM war and again, is easy to take advantage of if using the bulky pivot set. Mesprit needs to run Ice Beam / Tbolt so its hands are tied now because it wants Signal Beam for Malamar as well. So yea, in theory Sigilyph warps this meta completely around itself. Bulky teams everywhere only makes Sigi better, not worse.

If we wanted to retest it, I see no reason not to wait a month for the actual tier shifts and seeing if we get things that can help handle it or something (things like Skunk and Banette).

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
sigilyph was broken when we had shiftry and spiritomb (our best dark-types) and u now want to retest sigilyph when we no longer have them ? QoL is right too sigi just shits on everything..

being 'curious' isn't a good reason to retest sigilyph ffs
Nice to see sg agree with me for once lol

nigga pls. Neither shiftry nor spiritomb switched in on sigi, but things like mega-audino, mega-camel, probo, uxie, mesprit, musharna all can. Not to mention theres several types of weather around now that are a lot more common used to outspeed, there's no BP users such as busken, bp got restricted to 1 user per team so sigi has less shenanigans with speed boost passing and in general the teams that the meta have now are a lot bulkier. It's worth a retest after 6 months, if it's broken still it will stay banned.
Spiritomb always switched in, as they didn't run d-gleam
also...
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 144-172 (41.8 - 50%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 172-203 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 90-107 (21.9 - 26%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

I can agree with audino partially, but once it megas, regen is gone and you can easily wear it down with your other 5 members lol

Wailord @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpAtk
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Was researching Wailord one day and I saw that it learned heavy slam. Seeing that wailord is even heavier than mega aggron I feel that a physical wailord with heavy slam is a pretty viable trick room sweeper. 248 HP is used to take less stealth rock damage and have wailord last longer in the battle. Max attack evs along with choice band is used to bring wailord's attack stat to a whopping 459. Brave nature is, of course, used to make wailord as slow as possible so trick room is more effective. We have the ability water veil over pressure so that we don't have to worry about being burned and having out glorious attack stat cut in half. This set may be more effective in doubles so that wailord doesn't have to switch in while trick room is active and waste a turn. So tell me what you think guys!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Wailord @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Was researching Wailord one day and I saw that it learned heavy slam. Seeing that wailord is even heavier than mega aggron I feel that a physical wailord with heavy slam is a pretty viable trick room sweeper. 248 HP is used to take less stealth rock damage and have wailord last longer in the battle. Max attack evs along with choice band is used to bring wailord's attack stat to a whopping 459. Brave nature is, of course, used to make wailord as slow as possible so trick room is more effective. We have the ability water veil over pressure so that we don't have to worry about being burned and having out glorious attack stat cut in half. This set may be more effective in doubles so that wailord doesn't have to switch in while trick room is active and waste a turn. So tell me what you think guys!
Saw you post this before in the Doubles Room, and I am also going to be just as frank as the last guy so don't say you didn't see this coming.

Wailord is just not a very good Pokemon in general; neither of its attack stats are impressive at all, and its coverage moves are pretty lackluster for it compared to what other Water-types can offer. Particularly Heavy Slam which you hyped, because quite frankly it does pretty much nothing for Wailord, and you'd be better off using your other attacks against a majority of targets. Trick Room attackers need to be able to hit really hard to compensate for being on a timer to sweep, and 90 base Attack using a 80 BP move isn't going to cut it, even with Choice Band.

It's also not just a matter of being mediocre as a whole, but your 'Trick Room sweeping Wailord' is also extremely outclassed by the likes of Feraligatr, Barbaracle, and Carracosta, which are stronger, bulkier, have superior coverage (Gatr has Ice Punch, Barbaracle and Carracosta has Rock STAB), and two of them have priority; Carracosta even boasts being slower as well. Even then, those three aren't known for being Trick Room sweepers since they have much more efficient methods of getting a sweep going. Attempting a specially offensive role won't save Wailord either, if anything Wailord would face even greater competition from slow Water-types such as Octillery, DeepSeaTooth Clamperl, Lanturn, and even Lapras. You know there is a problem if Lapras of all things can claim to sweep better than you, on the special side no less (at least physical Lapras has Dragon Dance, and even that is outclassed by Gatr).

Mont Edit: also Heavy Slam tops out at 120 bp, so even if the Wailord out weighs something by a ton its not going to go over 120 bp.

Last edited by a moderator:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Wailord @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Hey DoctorZie,

Props for creating a unique set! Unfortunately, a CB Wailord is fairly unusable for the technical reasons that Punchshroom posted above. It's got the flashy factor and works with an underutilized Pokemon, but in most cases it won't be truly effective in your matches (and I think you'll find out that that's the case, should you continue playing with it). I think that the amount of thought you put into the set is pretty killer though especially for someone who just recently joined our forums, so even if this set is a bit of a bust, I'd like to encourage you to keep chugging along. Not every set you use has to be something truly unique, though - sometimes it's much better to use the tried-and-true and to save the experimentation for special cases.

Hey guys, I've been wondering about Beheeyem. It's seemed to have gotten better after the panda rise, but i'm not certain where it belongs team wise right now
Certainly with the combo of Analytic and Specs, Beheyeem is a monster, but what do you guys think about it?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Hey guys, I've been wondering about Beheeyem. It's seemed to have gotten better after the panda rise, but i'm not certain where it belongs team wise right now
Certainly with the combo of Analytic and Specs, Beheyeem is a monster, but what do you guys think about it?
I got bopped once by aladynn using Defensive CM / Recover / Psyshock / idk; though specs or even offensive lefties could work.
It might hit like a truck, but so does specs Eggy. You just have to be careful when using it that you aren't using an outclassed version of another poke.

Are you tired of getting shat on by Mega Steelix and Vileplume?...

Quilladin is the answer! Quilladin can switch into any of Mega Steelix's moves and start setting up spikes on it. The same goes for Vileplume: Quilladin's ability, Bulletproof, gives an immunity to Sludge Bomb. Oh no! Steelix is a curse set! Quilladin can just Roar his snake ass out. If Mega Steelix is running Gyro Ball instead of Heavy Slam you're in an even better position because Bulletproof makes Quilladin immune to Gyro Ball. Sure, Quilladin can't actually touch Vileplume and Mega Steelix, but the threat of spikes is usually enough for them to switch out on their own, or if they don't just Roar them out! I advise using a fire type along-side Quilladin so the end-game doesn't get so PP stally. I'd also use a switch in to knock off cuz Quilladin depends on its eviolite. Quilladin is also a useful Gatr, Cacturne, Kabutops, and Ferroseed check.

Here's a sample set :]
Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Roar

Look at the bulk
252+ Atk Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 105-124 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 96.8% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 154-182 (47.3 - 56%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 107-126 (32.9 - 38.7%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Block
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Waterfall

This thing is a monster. The goal of the set if not obvious enough, is to trap something that usually would stop Ferraligatr purely by walling it and not doing much back (Ferroseed, Qwilfish, Gourgeist-any without Leech Seed and Seed Bomb together). The EVs make sure that Defensive Tangela's Giga Drain is always a 3HKO and then the rest goes into Defense (with only 4 Defense EVs Gourgeist-any's seed bomb is a 3HKO). This thing is even better against some balance teams than standard SD gatr is! Although it usually doesn't pull much weight vs non-bulky offense, the way it can maul slower teams reliant on checks that beat Gatr by statusing it once or twice or just getting in chip damage on it is just astounding. Speaking of statusing Gatr, Rest heals off status so it's pretty much a super long lasting Lum Berry(!) in addition it makes it so that Feraligatr is a hella lot harder to wear down due to Rest bringing it back to 100% health!
TL;DR with the departure of panda, slower teams are more common and this Gatr can destroy most of those said slow teams.
Shoutout to complete legitimacy for inspiring this idea!

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute / Dragon Pulse / Synthesis

It's here! This is the mon that will force us to run Bouffalant / Zebstrika / Roselia / *insert Sap Sipper mon here* for the next couple of days/weeks until it (hopefully) gets suspected. If you've been living under a rock and don't know what Contrary Leaf Storm does, it's basically a base 140 bp STAB Nasty Plot of a speed stat that outruns almost the entire unboosted meta. Giga Drain is an accurate move that restores HP to be used when Leaf Storm's absurb power is no longer necessary, after a Leaf Storm boost. HP Ice or Fire hits Grass-types like Vileplume and stuff like Scyther. HP Fire hits Ferroseed, but HP Ice means you get to speed tie with opposing Serp. The last slot is whatever you want, doesn't matter as much as the first 3.

Bouffalant is really good from the few ladder matches I've played btw, now that Serp will be everywhere on the ladder it'll get a lot more opportunities to switch in and fire off a powerful hit or set up.

Anyway let's abuse the hell outta this

If you don't care for Life Orb damage (though you can recover with Giga Drain), or just want some extra bulk, you can also run an Assault Vest set on Serperior.

Serperior can also be a lead utilizing moves like Taunt, Reflect, Light Screen and Sunny Day. Subseed is also a cool set considering how fast and moderately bulky Serp is.

It gets other cool moves like Calm Mind, Glare, Coil, Dragon Tail. Did I miss any?

Serperior(252 SpA 252 Spe Timid Nature) @ Leftovers/Life Orb:

- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice/Fire
- Substitute
- Synthesis/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Dragon Pulse

Dragon Pulse lets you hurt Bouffalant, dragon types and other Sap Sipper Mons. Even though Serp has trouble against them except dragons who are rare.

Serperior only has a Special Attack of 75 but many pokemon are 2hkod by Contrary Leaf Storms. Making Serperior a very threatening sweeper and wallbreaker because of how many opportunities it's given to setup, and a having a high base speed of 113(faster than Archeops, Jumpluff and Raichu).

Bouffalant is a great Pokemon, I like Assault Vest, and Bouff will gain a boost into attack each time Serperior uses a grass type move on it. Bouffalant shrugs off Serperior's unboosted, weak Hidden Powers and Dragon Pulses; making Bouffalant a hard counter.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 88-104 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- 8.3% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Bouffalant Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 169-201 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

Mantine and Assault Vest Hariyama are 2hkod. Walls like Audino, Lickilicky and Musharna are setup fod.

Serperior is a huge threat with Contrary.

Last edited:
Adding on to the suggestions above, Assault Vest Muk is another option for handling Serperior. It can switch in comfortably against an unboosted Serp and scare it out with its STAB moves. It also has the ability to counter or check threats such as Mega Audino, Scarf Typhlosion, Pyroar, Lilligant and Vileplume.

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab/Ice Punch

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 51-60 (14.4 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 101-120 (28.6 - 34%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

(Dragon Pulse does a maximum of 15% to Muk unboosted and 29.8% at +2)

252+ Atk Muk Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 258-306 (88.6 - 105.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 390-458 (134 - 157.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unfortunately, the lack of recovery means that repeated switch-ins will wear it down to KO range and a team slot may need to be devoted to Wish support.

Nonetheless, it deals with Serperior with comparable effectiveness to Roselia, and the two fill separate archetypes and offer different utilities apart from that. I'd say it's an option worth considering during teambuilding.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
instead of trying to find checks that don't exist can we just ban it
Maybe instead of asking to ban something hardly 12 hrs after release you try and adapt a little? After looking at the team builder for 5 seconds I easily came up with multiple mons to check it and counter. It is the same as any other set up mon, you lose to it if you're a shit teambuilder and dont have a scarfer.

Accelgor:
252 SpA Accelgor Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 258-306 (88.6 - 105.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Scarf Jynx:
252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 284-336 (97.5 - 115.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Assault Vest Muk:
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 390-458 (134 - 157.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Choice Scarf Rotom-Fan:
252 SpA Rotom-S Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 222-264 (76.2 - 90.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Scarf Scyther:
252 Atk Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 272-324 (93.4 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sawsbuck:
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 331-391 (113.7 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sneasel:
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 307-361 (105.4 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Swellow:
252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 458-542 (157.3 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bouffalant, Gogoat, Miltank (Marill lol)

So I was just wondering when it likely moves out of NU will it remain in RU inevitably or will it be suspected?

Also: I thought I was posting in a CCAT when I said I refute muk 9.9 shame

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
So I was just wondering when it likely moves out of NU will it remain in RU inevitably or will it be suspected?

Also: I thought I was posting in a CCAT when I said I refute muk 9.9 shame
I know RU has been hyping up Serperior as if it's the next Mega Mence, when in reality is just a slighty-better-than-average set-up sweeper. Hopefully if the council members aren't blinded by the passing bandwagon, they'll see its not ban-worthy in RU. But why you're asking about RU in an NU forum in the first place is beyond me x_x

In NU it's rather containing on teambuilding, and while its easily checked by half a dozen faster mons [all of which are perfectly viable], in addition to basically every scarfer, it's still likely to be suspected in the future - if not stolen by the end of the month via usage.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
no Montsegur

congrats i have to use sap sipper pokemon to not get steam rolled and then an accelgor / sneasel / swellow to revenge and ohko it

it's cancer and no amount of "let's adapt to it guys omg don't be lazy" changes the fact that it should have been quick banned on theory alone
Have you actually played any games with it? Cause having played with and against it today as long as you play well its not that hard to beat. Its pretty much a setup sweeper, don't let it setup, account for it in teambuilding, and play well. It isn't a guarenteed 6-0 mon, people have just hyped it up way to much and hopped on a bandwagon that is just dumb. Instead of theorymonning something actually play with it a bit so you can actually discuss stuff with some new information instead of spitting up the same stuff that people have been saying for the past 3 weeks.

I can see Serperior getting suspect tested, but it isn't quickban worthy.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
so you named like 6 shaky checks and 4 counters (and some of them arent even good)

how is that enough to say that serperior is fine?

'did you even play...' wth is that argument? its not hard to see how big of a threat contrary serperior is if you know the tier. blarajan is asking for a quickban because he know that serperior is literally cancer and doesn't want to be forced to play with and against it. most of the other spl nu players that i have talked to want it to be quickbanned asap and even zeb said that he will make it illegal during week 2 of spl to let us take the time to vote (correct me if im wrong zeb, but when we talked about it you seemed to imply this).

there's already some cancerous pokemon in NU right now, and quickbanning serperior is just one of the steps NU needs to do to finally be enjoyable AND playable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)