Metagame np: Stage 7 - Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are my thoughts as I slowly get reqs:

Sneasel: Every time Sneasel hits the field, something is bound to die. It hits surprisingly hard with Knock Off and Icicle Crash, and very few things other than scarfers can out speed it. It is very easy to get a sweep with Sneasel, especially in late-game. For these reasons, I will be voting ban.

Gallade: This one will be tough for me. As much as I love Gallade, I haven't found him to be as powerful as people say. He has great sweeping potential, but I find it much harder to sweep with him than Sneasel. I have only swept with Gallade once, and I've been able to stop opposing Gallades as well. However, I will not deny that Gallade has a lot of power once he gets of a couple of Sword Dances. That alongside with somewhat reliable recovery with Drain Punch is what makes this a tough decision though I'm leaning towards no ban.

I don't have enough reqs yet for this yet, but I do want to say a few things from my experience with these two so far.
As many others have said, one of the biggest problems with them is them both being in the tier together. This extremely limits team-building because you MUST carry a check/counter for one or both of these, and in many cases multiple counters (and who wants to be forced to run mawile on every team?) unless you want to get completely swept.
These pokemon aren't completely broken, but with them in the meta it makes for a very unfair playing field because of the limitations of what pokemon can be used in NU.
In my opinion it's more the tier than the pokemon, but that isn't to say they aren't strong as hell.

Sneasel-Dear god. The worst thing about sneasel is that it takes literally no skill to use. It can switch into almost anything, getting free switch-ins on things it can really hurt and pretty much wreck anything that isn't a check or counter to it. It also has crazy fast speed that rivals many "fast" pokemon in the tier. As much as I love sneasel, it being one of my top five favorite pokemon, it's really unbalanced and unhealthy for the tier. I will be voting ban.

Gallade-The people defending gallade will hate me for saying this, but it's true that the only reason Gallade is in this tier was because of a Showdown error. This tier cannot handle gallade in any respect. A sweeper with great defensive typing and some bulk, the only, ONLY downfall being it's speed (I'm guessing no one really runs trick room sets in singles but I tried one out with Gallade and oh my gosh o.o) It's just far too powerful and very hard to work around and play against. NU is not a tier that can safely handle this thing without having everyone run almost the exact same team.(overcentralizing at its core here)
I could go into far more detail about this, but everything I have to say has already been said.
I will be voting ban. Ban this monster!

(Bold is really fun to use, much better than italic for sure.)

ok, got reqs, and I think it's time to point out one or two things about what I've experienced on the NU suspect ladder. First of all, I have not played so much NU since ORAS came out, except during the Camerupt/Typhlosion suspect, but what I've seen in these days is enough to give you my opinion on these two pokemon.

Gallade
it has great special bulk and a fantastic Fight/Psychic/Dark coverage which has no switch-ins in the tier. It can run multiple sets, all of these extremely effectively. For example, the CB, the LO and the Sub-Bulk up sets completely destroy Balance and Stall teams. Also, we have the Choice Scarf set, which is a nice revenge killer and Memento/Trick user, and the Assault Vest set.
All of these points make Gallade a great pokemon to build around, thanks to its versatility, but very problematic to be covered. If we want a better metagame, I think Gallade needs to go.

Sneasel
thanks to its incredible speed-tier along with its Ice - Dark coverage, which is very good offensively, allows it to pretty much easily spam Knock Off versus offensive playstyles. Also, it has access to STAB Pursuit, that puts a good pressure against Psychics and Ghosts pokemon, and a priority move in Ice Shard. As well as Gallade, Sneasel has multiple sets, such as the CB, the LO and the SD set, commonly used with Eviolite for the defenses boost. It has more checks than Gallade does in the tier. However, all of them(bar M-Audino) don't have a solid recovery move; pokemon such as Mawile, Granbull, Regirock etc walls it completely but they are easy to deal with.
Is pretty much for these reasons that I think Sneasel deserves the ban.

Last edited:

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I got the reqs, and this is my first playing NU. I don't have much experience in this tier, however I'm going to try and give my opinion about Gallade and Sneasel.

Gallade
It's checked by a few psychic types on the tier, and everyone spams colbur berry. It has a hard time against offense, and the maximum kills it will net is 1 if it's lucky enough. Against balance and stall it does pretty well however, I used eviolite Scyther so I really didn't get hammered by this thing, though losing your eviolite sucks and if stealth rocks are up it's kind of a problem. It's bulk is not that bad as it can SD on MAudino and proceed to knock it out if it's weakened enough. I'm leaning towards ban however I don't know yet, I simply haven't played that much.

Sneasel
This thing makes offense cry and everytime it comes in it gets a free knock off kill against it. Colbur Berry doesn't really work unless you're a pure psychic type, because Icicle Crash will hit Xatu and Claydol and Icicle Crash probably ohkoes Gallade anyway lol, if anyone is that crazy of giving it a colbur berry. Sneasel struggles with balanced and stall teams as there are common answers there such as Mawile, Regirock, MAudino, etc. but losing the item and getting widdled by repeated attacks isn't fun however most of the time it won't outlast his counters due to hazards preventing him from doing so. If it's paired with Xatu it's annoying but it can be played around. I haven't seen more sets than the banded one, and I believe it's because it's so good why waste time using other sets lol. I think I'm going to vote ban on this one.

Sneasel
thanks to its incredible speed-tier along with its Ice - Dark coverage, which is very good offensively, allows him to pretty much easily spam Knock Off versus offensive playstyles. Also, it has access to STAB Pursuit, that puts a good pressure against Psychics and Ghosts pokemon, and a priority move in Ice Shard. As well as Gallade, Sneasel has multiple sets, such as the CB, the LO and the SD set, commonly used with Eviolite for the defenses boost. It has more checks than Gallade does in the tier. However, all of theme(bar M-Audino) don't have a solid recovery move; pokemon such as Mawile, Granbull, Regirock etc walls it completely but they are easy to deal with.
Is pretty much for these reasons that I think Sneasel deserves the ban.
This sounds much more like an analysis of Snesel than a constructed argument for its ban. Having great STAB, speed, attack and a variety of sets does not make a Pokemon broken, the same could be said of plenty of Pokemon in the tier. If you think the Pokemon that wall Sneasel lacking recovery is a viable reason for it to be banned then you are ignoring quagsire and avalugg having recover, miltank having milk drink and poliwrath often having rest. Furthermore the multitude of fighting/fairy types in the tier whose effectiveness is hindered by the loss of leftovers/lack of recovery can easily be paired with a wish passing cleric. If you think that the Sneasel walls lacking recovery is really a good reason to ban Sneasel from the tier, I encourage you to vote ban.

A lot of people seem to be doing this, just kind of describing what these pokemon do without actually justifying their decisions to ban (dnb justifications are less needed and simpler). All I'm getting from this thread except for a couple posts (shoutouts to marilli and ras) that can have an impact on my decision is "Gallade is a very good pokemon". In all honesty I despise 80% of the posts in this topic that talk about how the person is going to decide, because 1) most of them add nothing and 2) they influence people in an unhealthy way, leading to bandwagonning of posts, which is seen very clearly, especially after marilli's great post. I'm guilty of this too and it sucks because I'm too weak to just stop reading the thread :(.

After getting requirements with a stall team I want to post my thoughts about these 2 pokemons:

Gallade--->Ban: HP 68/Atk 125/Def 65/SpA 65/SpD 115/Spe 80
This pokemon has a monstrous attack of 125 base that could be boosted by a life orb. It has a very strong stab in close Combat, an attack boosting move in swords dance and perfect coverage for NU with Close combat/Zen Headbutt/Knock off. It's just 2 much for this metagame seeing that it only has 1 counter being Granbull who lacks reliable recovery(rest?). It has a couple of checks yes and you can probably outplay with some switches to drain it out or land in a toxic on it but still if its played well there is not even 1 team who ain't gonna struggle against it.

Sneasel--->Ban: HP 55/Atk 95/Def 55/SpA 35/SpD 75/Spe 115
Probably the best offensive threat with Gallade and Taurus right now, with it's strong stabs, priority as well as pursuit it deals great damage and cripples a big portion of the metagame. Its very high speed allows it to carry Choice Band or Life Orb to boost its average attack stat. However viable counters do exist and can be used on stall and balance: Mawile, Gurdurr, Poliwrath, Mega Dino. For me Balance and Stall can deal with it well specially that it has an exploitable weakness to Rocks and it can almost switch into nothing because it's frail. however I think It's very threatening to offense and with it's strong pursuit it can cause problems to any archetype so i lean toward a ban.

Last edited:
I'll post my thoughts later. I just wanted to voice that, no matter where you stand with your vote on these respective pokemon, it's refreshing to see people actually putting some thought into the pokemon. I always hate seeing stupid posts in every suspect thread I've visited that just say "This thing is stupid broken. We wouldn't suspect it if it weren't broken. BAN NOW."

I know this post doesn't contribute much, but I thought it was worth saying. It's just nice to see actual discussion :)

Reactions: nv
Ok so after a bit of laddering, I'll post my thoughts on Gallade.

The problem with Gallade is not only its insanely high base 125 Attack stat, but the fact that it is so unpredictable. Between SD, SubBU, Scarfed, CB, Assault Vest, there's really only one true counter (from what I can see, I might be wrong) in Granbull, that honestly isn't that reliable of a switch-in since its only form of recovery is Rest, which leaves it vulnerable to setup (even though its risky). It can basically be shoved on a team and depending on that team's weakness, you can basically choose from an array of sets (Scarf for offense, AV for balance, and CB, SubBU, or SD for stall) and use it to their advantage to take on that playstyle. Overall, Gallade is unhealthy for the current meta with its unpredictable versatility, its ability to make playstyles worse, and its few counters. For now, I'm pro-ban for Gallade.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Got reqs and I have to admit, the meta has gotten much worse from the Magneton suspect to now. The main reason I feel that is similar to the main reason why I disliked the Magneton meta as well: both were/are completely stale and boring. The difference I'm seeing between the Magneton meta and this meta is that the Magneton meta revolved around a handful of pokemon to check Magneton and Magneton itself but, the offensive play that I and many others love NU for stayed more or less the same. Looking at this current meta, we see two types of teams; the HO with Sneasel/Gallade (or both) and then a rocker and a handful of mons that aid to check common threats to the two or, we see stall that aims to shut down these HO teams (and mostly succeeds) which creates a need to constantly build around and with the mons that are seen in these two archetypes, if you're playing HO you should be able to handle M-Audino, Quagsire, Mawile, Granbull and the like and if you're building stall you should shut down Gallade, Sneasel and Haunter. So there is absolutely no variety in this tier at the moment and that is a huge problem because the only way to get people to play is to attract them with the promise of variety and numerous possibilities in teambuilding and playstyles. So that's my rant on the meta as it is right now, let me get onto the suspects at hand:

Sneasel: This guy has amazing typing that allows him to plow through teams late-game while also trapping prevalent ghost and psychic types. This creates a need for teams to run Fairies or Poliwrath in order to stop him making Sneasel the biggest contributor to the staleness mentioned above. This Pokemon is much like Magneton in that it can be played around but it hits hard enough to be broken in the hands of new players and veterans alike, it also lacks viable counters much like Magneton. To me this is clear cut and I'm not seeing the logic behind the non-ban arguments, yes this thing isn't as broken as Gallade but that doesn't mean it isn't harmful to the tier. BAN

Gallade: It has been said many times before, there are no 100% counters to this thing because of it's typing and movepool along with its bulk. It is just too competent of a Pokemon for NU. BAN

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Well, this was my first time playing NU and I manage to get reqs. I say the NU meta is incredibly offensive with these two mons running around and I'll note a few things as well as my decision on where I want to place them.

I find it pretty insane on the low amount of switch-ins to gallade in NU. This can be used effective on any team and has the ability to break any slow pace/fat teams with any good set like Sub-Bulk Up or Swords Dance, Lum SD, Life Orb, or even Choice Band or Scarf. Usually the main fighting switch-ins in NU consist of a fat poison type like Garbodor, Fat Colbur Xatu, but for gallade, it can just Set-Up on them or just smack them with the proper coverage move. Also 9 times out of 10, it doesn't even NEED a boosting move to be able to punch holes through a team or at least wear down a team which is a big problem for the meta making it a bit unstable.

Psychics can come in on it too, however a great majority of them are already forced to run Colbur berry and waste it just to have a switch-in to this thing. Other proper "checks" consist of Phyically Defensive Granbull and Quagsire, Granbull's only recovery move is rest and can easily be taken advantage of w/ an SD or a free switch to garbodor and setting up a spike, making the switch-in even more problematic vs gallade, as for quag, you can easily face a lure gallade set and get smacked with a leaf blade (not common, however possible) that provides assistance to your team, i.e. a double dance rhydon in the back to clean late game. The rest of the walls either get ohko'd or 2hkod altogether. The only disadvantage that it has is it's base 80 speed, meaning it can be revenged by any faster mon. However, if the meta only consists of a few checks and could easily be ran through from any standard set, I feel this is most likely ban worthy.

It is pretty great to have sneasel with it's speed and coverage that hits anything hard that isn't a poliwrath, mawile, mega audino, or pawniard in NU. Even though it is able to hit things hard with either Life Orb or Choice Band, this mon really isn't as "meta breaking" as people think it is. I feel like the potential that this mon has in NU is based upon revenge killing mons like a weakened gallade, haunter, jynx w/ it's sash broken, archeops, etc. than it is on breaking teams because of it's fast speed. Also it's priority Ice Shard is helpful to revenge vs Quiver Dance Lilligant, Scarf Scyther, and Swellow. It's incredibly frail defensively and is weak to Stealth Rocks, and NU is VERY consistent when it coming to hazard stacking. With hazards being a necessity and also Life Orb recoil, Sneasel is worn down pretty quickly. Also with the amount of Colbur Psychics being one of the staples in this meta, at least half of them run Thunder Wave to cripple the threat, unless it's some random Lum Berry Variant which in my opinion is pretty weak in NU barring access to Swords Dance. Gonna have to say no ban to this because I don't see sneasel being as huge of a "problem" as gallade is for NU.

Last edited:
Well something dangerous people are neglecting when talking about Sneasel is pursuit boosted by Choice Band/LO for a tier like NU. I mean for example it can like switch in on a Claydol or a Mantine predicting an obvious Rapid Spin or Defog and pursuit for extremely heavy damage on both. I think It's totally possible to handle it on balance and stall with Mawile, Mega Audino, Gurdurr like I said earlier but the threat it puts on other members of those teams with Pursuit is something dangerous for the tier and a bit out of control of the player who's facing Sneasel.

There is something wrong with this meta

I dont know what it is, why it happened, or whats obviously causing it, but there IS something wrong with this meta. And, even if the Pokemon themselves arent neccesarily broken; we have to do something since the meta, quite frankly, is utter shit.
I dont know about you guys; but i hate; i absolutely hate, playing against the same team again, and again, and again. It makes for a stale meta. Now, we have 2 outstanding threats in the current NU metagame, and althought neither are broken, the combination of the two FORCEs people to use the standard cores, and not make some up for themselves because you know what, that core you just thought up, gets absolutely destroyed by Gallade which is on every other team i might add, and/ or Sneasel, which is also on every other team.
So, before people decide to vote, i urge you to consider What is actually wrong with the Metagame because its clearly unhealthy. If your pro-keep gallade and sneasel, what do you think is the problem? why is the meta so stale at the minute? and if you are pro-ban, will banning gallade and sneasel actually help change this.

Gallade:
Now, i must say, this turned out to be not as broken as i thought it might have been when it first came to the tier. Infact, its quite managable if you include a counter/ switchin somewhere as well as a random check like Archeops. My problem with Gallade is the ease at which you can support it. If we decide to go with the standard swords dance life orb set, and you manage to break the colbur berry of whatever the counter to gallade is (yes, it has to run a colbur berry if its a counter), when gallade gets the oppurtuinity to settup, he can just break through your wall and then proceed to spam cc with just as much as sawk does, tearing whats left apart. A lot of people say they prefer Sawk to Gallade because of Sturdy; but i have to say i disagree. Sure, Sawk works better in some teams (e.g. Kiyos Sheddy team, etc) than Gallade. But Gallade gets so much more utility. I think the part psychic typing to gallade is very important. At team preview, this centralizes the meta because your fighting resist can no longer be weak to psychic. So, Weezing and Garbodor can no longer be classified as Fighting Checks because this relatively common Fighting Type passes through each with ease, limiting the cores you can build by lowering the amount of pokemon that can actually check all the meta at once; which creates this stale feeling. Not only this, but for every person that argue sawk might be better than gallade as a pokemon, i would probably be a millionaire. It just simply isnt the case. Has anyone seen Gallades movepool? Its actually insane. I counted about 25 moves that are equally as viable on a Gallade moveset as the other. And its not like i cant run an absolutely stupid set and not get away with it either lol. Last night i ran a Mixed Calm Mind Gallade with CM, Psychic, CC and Knock Off with a life orb as the item, and for every team that relyed on Granbull to check Gallade, i won. It really was as simple, and as easy as that. It also frustrates me when people say, oh, its too slow, it wont sweep unless its definately a balance team. The beauty about Gallade isnt that it sweeps teams. Its a mon that can BOTH sweep AND wall break. Psychic, Fighting, Dark Coverage is unresisted by any one mon, therefore, it always has the capability to hit SOMETHING for neutral damage at the very least.
My overall opinion on Gallade is that; yes, it wasnt worthy of the quickban i mentioned when it first dropped, but, its not healthy for the meta. It centralizes cores so that they have to be more specific about with is a fighting check and what isnt a fighting check not to mention its complete unpredictability when it comes down to its moveset. BAN

Sneasel:

Now; ill be the first person to tell you Sneasel isnt a "broken" mon. We have loads and loads and loads of Defensive Switchins in the tier that can take a Knock Off and an Icicle Crash, as a mon, on its own, its not too hard to check. My problem with it is the unrivalled team support it offers, that no other offensive mon in the tier can do. Knock Off is one of the best examples of this. Knock Off having gained its significant buff in Generation 6 found its way onto every single moveset that could afford to carry the move. The reason why Sneasel benefits the team by just clicking Knock Off is for the following Scenario. You have a CB Sneasel and a Calm Mind Signal Beam Musharna. You know if you take out the opposing Mawile, Mismagius and Lanturn out, you should be on for an easy sweep with Mushy. Mawile is obviously the oppositions switch in for sneasel, so, when you click Knock Off on that Mawile you essentially cripple it. It has no way of recovering its HP the entire game (leftovers), so any damage you get on it is there to stay. You can bring in Sneasel on a predicted Shadow Ball from Mismagius, and proceed to Pursuit trap it, and either do enough to make the mon useless, or take it out completely. Lanturn is in a similar boat, you know you need it for Musharna so you can toxic it, but if sneasel pursuit traps it, its all over. It essentially turns that easy play into a 50/50. If i stay in on Pursuit, thats fine, but im risking getting hit by Knock Off as well. This team support aspect of Sneasel, being able to just cripple opponents and turn every move and decision into a 50/50 play is what makes it S rank in my opinion. What turns it suspect worthy in my opinion is Icicle Crash. It got this in ORAS and it essentially means soft checks like Garbodor just dont work vs Sneasel. Its not just the no contact. Its the 30% Flinch Chance. 30% is the same number as Scald and its burn chance, and im sure we all know that its more than easy enough to get one of those. It means, if you get lucky, you can break certain checks and counters. For example, a Mega Audino may switch in, at 60% which is reasonable enough HP, but it takes 20% from Icicle Crash, if i go for Icicle Crash again, and flinch the audino before it can get a gleam off or rest, i have just broken the one of the main checks to sneasel on the opponents team, essentially hugely favouring the Sneasel team since what ever comes in on sneasel is likely not to be as solid of a switch in as Audino.
If you combine the sheer support Sneasels dual stab and pursuit gives it with the unrivalled base speed in the tier, Sneasel is one of those mons where, almost like Rachi in OU, knock off and flinch its ways through your team and eventually be just getting a kill every time it comes in. Sneasel, despite the immense number of immense defensive checks, has no offensive checks not called Zebstrika, and if we are relying on that or idk Linoone, something is wrong. Overall, Sneasels impact on the metagame is that of a negative one, and if we BAN it, it will relieve a lot of stress on offense which can really function with Sneasel on half the teams.

There is something wrong with this meta
and if you are pro-ban, will banning gallade and sneasel actually help change this.
You make a ton of good points here, and I myself am pro-ban for both Sneasel and Gallade, so I'll leave my thoughts on what the inevitable banning of these two mons would do. First off, I think one of the biggest reasons the meta is so repetitive right now is the need for Gallade and Sneasel checks. Though there are few, you're forced to run something for them so you don't get completely steamrolled. This is where you start to see defensive Mawile + Colbur Psychic-type (Xatu, Mesprit, w/e) to check Sneasel and Gallade, respectively. Then you start to see checks to these mons, and it goes on and on and on, and teams start to look the exact same, it seems. This sort of happens in more balanced tiers as well, but when you have 2 Pokemon such as Gallade and Sneasel that pressure teams as much as they do, you're almost forced to run the same teams that everybody else does, which is why the tier is the way that it is. With Gallade and Sneasel gone, it will be fun to see more of mons like Pawniard, Sawk, etc, and the meta will become much more healthy and balanced, which is what it needs right now.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest problems with the general thinking behind this suspect is that a lot of people are basing their arguments around whether a mon has safe switch-ins or not. The general consensus seems to be that Gallade doesn't really have defensive switch-ins whereas Sneasel does so we should Ban Gallade and keep Sneasel. While all this theorymon stuff is great, i think in practice its the other way around.

One of the biggest theorymon based arguments is that Sneasel is frail, which doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Sneasel doesnt ever really take hits unless you're sacking it since its so fast that it outspeeds and 2HKO's a lot of offensive mons, and if you bring in the defensive answers, unless you choose to double-switch, the person with the counter loses momentum. The only time Sneasel ever really takes damage (outside of evio SD sets) is through hazards and residual damage, and since Spikes are non-existent rn (thanks to xatu) its pretty much just SR. While you might be thinking that Sneasel has a weakness to SR, its different from Typh since its power level isnt neutered by taking residual damage, so it can switch in the 4 times (if rocks are up) and deal out p good damage.

Also i dont really understand when people say that Sneasel only has base 95 attack, when it has one of the strongest 100% accurate STAB moves in the game in a tier where not much resists it. This STAB move also makes stuff like Pawniard not a good check at all (seriously, i dont understand the the hype when it can only switch in once before it gets 2HKO'd) because it can remove Eviolites / Lefties.

Another thing that kinda goes under the radar about sneasel is how well is fits on every playstyle because of how much team support it provides. We all know sneasel is great on offense and balance but I was talking to hollywood the other day about using Sneasel on stall and its pretty good because it can trap problematic stuff like Xatu as well as revenge pretty much every scary offenaive threat that stall needs to watch out for. If a pure offensive mon like Sneasel does its job so well that its a really good fit even on stall, it may be doing its job a little to well for the tier.

I think the problem that Raseri touched on is that this is a lot of peoples 1st time playing NU, so they see Gallade as the bigger problem and think that we've had Sneasel forever, there are switch-ins to it, so it's fine in NU. In reality, myself and probably 80-85% of NU regulars absolutely despise this thing and want it gone. Sneasel has been a problem for a while and even though Gallade is the super-impressive wallbreaker with no defensive switch-ins, Sneasel just matches up so well against any offensive build and does its job so well that it needa to go. I know im just kind of re-hashing points but people dont seem to be understanding how fucked this thing is so im gonna keep at it until im sure this thing leaves.

Teddeh brought this up earlier, but a mon who is underrated at the moment is Barbaracle, which I used a bit on the suspect ladder

Barbaracle @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature / Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Cross Chop / Grass Knot

Barbaracle can actually take advantage of Sneasel being in, as once Sneasel takes something out, Barbaracle can come in and set up for free, and Barbaracle at +2 with or without Life Orb is extremely hard to stop. Even Quagsire has a 50+% chance to be OHKOed after rocks with a Life Orb +2 Grass Knot, and even Pokemon such as Mawile get KOed by a +1 Razor Shell with prior damage. What I'm trying to say is this thing is extremely hard to stop at +2, and it sets up on arguably one of the most broken mons in the tier that's basically on every team since it's being suspected rn. It's not the greatest mon, but it's not seeing much usage at all rn, and it does its job pretty damn well.

Just a few calcs to see damage vs common mons:

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 169-201 (59 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 220-259 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 402-473 (100.2 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 290-343 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
[/calcs]

Also, I could definitely see smashpass being suspected in the future. It's overlooked right now since everybody is worried about Sneasel and Gallade and the pressure they put on teams, but it's pretty damn hard to stop if you're not prepared.

Teddeh brought this up earlier, but a mon who is underrated at the moment is Barbaracle, which I used a bit on the suspect ladder

Barbaracle @ Life Orb
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge

Barbaracle can actually take advantage of Sneasel being in, as once Sneasel takes something out, Barbaracle can come in and set up for free, and Barbaracle at +2 with or without Life Orb is extremely hard to stop. Even Quagsire has a 50+% chance to be OHKOed after rocks with a Life Orb +2 Grass Knot, and even Pokemon such as Mawile get KOed by a +1 Razor Shell with prior damage. What I'm trying to say is this thing is extremely hard to stop at +2, and it sets up on arguably one of the most broken mons in the tier that's basically on every team since it's being suspected rn. It's not the greatest mon, but it's not seeing much usage at all rn, and it does its job pretty damn well.

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 169-201 (59 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 220-259 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 402-473 (100.2 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 290-343 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
[/calcs]

Also, I could definitely see smashpass being suspected in the future. It's overlooked right now since everybody is worried about Sneasel and Gallade and the pressure they put on teams, but it's pretty damn hard to stop if you're not prepared.
if you're going to run Barbaracle I highly recommend that you run Adamant cause jolly doesn't really hit anything special and the extra power is great. Also Stone Edge doesn't really hit shit on it so I'd recommed that you run Return > Stone Edge because its almost just as powerful except that you can't miss with it and you get great neutral coverage alongside Water STAB. Also i'd probably run a type-resist berry over LO to help it set up on stuff or chew priority since it struggles setting up on stuff. Chople is probably best in this meta because it lets you chew Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave once you've set up but shuca is a classic which lets you set up on archeops and tauros.

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just finished Reqs and wanted to Post my thoughts
Sneasel:
During the suspect my view on sneasel changed some waht. While using Balance teams sneasel wasn't much of a threat as it has many check,which are viable for other parts of the team beside checking sneasel, and has Mons that punish it for using it stables(ShellSmashers like barbancle and carracosta, and KlingKlang also sets up SG sand tear holes through teams if sneasel locks it self into pursuit/iciclecrash).On the other hand i felt sneasel was quite hard to handle on my more offensive teams as the sheer amount of speed made if very hard to revenge kill and it could pick of my mons with pursuit and iceshard. Sneasel also helps check psychic types which I feel would be harder to handle if sneasel leaves which makes me want to lean over keeping it,But the amount of strain it puts on teams makes me lean toward a ban as of now.
Gallade:
Galldae seems like a Hit or Miss mon imo. SD/banded/SubBU gallade has nice match up vs. slower/bulkier teams but has quite a hard time doing much vs HO while the Scarf set works quite the opposite as it has alright match up vs HO but bad vs Bulky/slow. Its coverage options makes it hard to give gallade a true "counter" as it can get pass most of its checks and its base 115 spD lets in set up on some spAers, but can be dealt with with moves like T-wave and faster mons because of its mediocre 80 base speed and this leans me toward no ban atm.

Main problem i see is with them both being in the tier i think one/both should leave so we could alleviate the amount of mons we have to check at NU atm

Last edited:
I actually think both of these 2 mons deserve to get banned from NU. Even if I can understand the people who think that sneasel is not as broken as gallade, I think that his ability to severely cripple some of his counters by just spamming knock off ( which is the main stab, not a random coverage move ) as well as having pursuit and a strong priority is too good to pass up, since it allows sneasel to deal with both offensive and fatter teams with some ease. Gallade, on the other hand, has a very wide movepool which makes him unpredictable, and even with the most standard set it still can be a very serious threat due to the nearly perfect coverage that his main stabs (and some of his coverage moves) offer, so I doubt that he should stay in NU.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Barbaracle @ Life Orb
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge

[/calcs]

See if you expect Barbaracle to set up on Sneasel you'd better get used to not actually having Life Orb to nab those KOes it boasts. Taking a whopping 60-70% and losing your item before even commencing the sweep does not sound like an ideal setup condition; (m)any forms of priority can pick u off and/or u don't manage to OHKO things.

What's more, it's not like Barbaracle can even switch into Sneasel meaning you'd likely had to sac something beforehand (aka you failed to stop Sneasel from getting a KO). Barbaracle does discourage Sneasel from locking itself into anything but Knock Off, but the bigger issue would be deterring Sneasel from spamming Knock Off in the first place. Not to mention if the Sneasel user does have something to stop Barbaracle, it's not even an optimal way of "punishing" Sneasel; Sneasel has KOed something without even setting up while Barbaracle's setup is for naught, thus Sneasel still easily can come out on top of this trade.

Last edited:
See if you expect Barbaracle to set up on Sneasel you'd better get used to not actually having Life Orb to nab those KOes it boasts. Taking a whopping 60-70% and losing your item before even commencing the sweep does not sound like an ideal setup condition; (m)any forms of priority can pick u off and/or u don't manage to OHKO things.

What's more, it's not like Barbaracle can even switch into Sneasel meaning you'd likely had to sac something beforehand. Barbaracle does discourage Sneasel from locking itself into anything but Knock Off, but the bigger issue would be deterring Sneasel from spamming Knock Off in the first place. Not to mention if the Sneasel user does have something to stop Barbaracle, it's not even an optimal way of "punishing" Sneasel.
Oh god punch, yes you can set up on a knock off -> you take a chunk... OR you setup on the other 3/4 moves and take less damage... if they're going to pursuit trap a pokemon, they're complete setup fodder? or if it's already knocked off your item on your sneasel check or if it has to click coverage, then it's not going to be taking the 60-70%... Also, if they need sneasel for another threat on your team and they can't risk it, then they're sacking sneasel to do that potential 60-70% to your barb, by which it could just KO. Overall, you're judging this purely on the fact that you can stay in and click a move while they smash, when they could predict that and just ko? either way your whole argument is prediction based.
worst case scenario is life orb, by which the sneasel user has to make a prediction to get off damage.
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 148-175 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
You know the reason people are bringing up these Pokemon such as Barbaracle and Pawniard not because they can switch in, or be a shaky one-time check to Sneasel, it's because it absolutely pummels the "standard so good it's unbeatable" Sneasel / Gallade / Xatu / Lanturn / Mawile / Lilligant | filler | w/e core. It sets up on Sneasel locked into anything other than Knock and there's nothing the team can do to beat it after it smashes up on you. Similarly, most teams of this archetype lose to Klinklang if they don't get a Scald burn with Lanturn. That's prettty shaky, lol. Same goes for Pawniard, as the so-called best team archetype only has Mawile and Sneasel as Dark-resists, which get destroyed by Pawn (and Mawile gives a free +1 boost to boot!) Did I mention Arbok? In fact, I think that most people in the "NU regulars" group (and a lot of other players given the same team) are using this same exact team repeatedly, which really isn't ideal given that everyone (other than Kiyo, lol) seems to be basing their experience on playing this specific team. This team has majority of members losing to Sneasel, and only way to beat it is switching to Mawile over and over again, which can be exploited. In fact, this is an example of a team that lets its other 4 members get super exploited by Sneasel, to the point that Mawile is not only necessary, but becomes heavily overloaded (especially because you need it to check stuff other than Sneasel). It's a team structure that lends itself to lose to Sneasel other than just a singular Sneasel check crammed in because, well, if you didn't have that, game would be over turn 0. The reality is a threat doesn't become covered because you just have a singular, #1 check. If the rest of the team is very weak to it, you're still very weak to it.

Sneasel's frailty doesn't come into effect when it's OHKOing things, of course. The problem is, as you said, Sneasel 2HKOs offensive threats, not OHKO. Sneasel's frailty matters when it's only doing like 75% to Tauros and you die because you didn't OHKO. It's a real problem in games, especially because as yall know, keeping SR up on the opposing side can be pretty difficult, especially if you're using Mawile as your SR user. Not only do you have to force offensive threats like Tauros to switch into SR once, not twice, but 3 times means that you were being rather outplayed. Also this is the reason why non-Band sets trying to "innovate" are terrible, at least in the current metagame. You can't even OHKO Zangoose with Knock Off. That means you do like 80% to just about anything else and you'll most certainly die to whatever hit's coming your way. Congrats, Dark Plate Sneasel!

Also, the Pursuit argument: people are saying threat it puts on other members of those teams with Pursuit is something dangerous for the tier. I agree, Pursuit is a pretty gay move. But Pursuit is a gimormous part of what makes Pokemon, well, Pokemon. It's been around for, what, 16 years? I find this pursuit argument hard to believe: just because Pursuit can remove dangerous offensive Pokemon switching out of bad matchups, thus killing things even when they have counters, I suppose isn't that what BW Skuntank literally was? Literally every other good BW team had it, and you'll see this less so early when the meta wasn't so well defined, and at the end literally every team has it. If you don't have it, you had either Gothorita instead which also traps, just different things, or you didn't need it because you're a Riolu/Liepard team. Just ask FLCL and Zebraiken. Actually scratch that because anyone who played BW can confirm. According to yall I suppose we should just revisit BW and ban Skuntank, let's see how well that one goes. Also, while we're on the subject of Pursuit, "Sneasel on stall is good, so Sneasel is broken" doesn't make any sense. Fast Pursuiter on stall has been a thing before I even joined this website. That's literally more than 5 years ago. Scarf T-tar on DPP OU stall is good for exactly the same reasons why Sneasel on stall is, except that Sneasel's not tanky enough to switch into anything. Is T-Tar broken? haha, lol.

I know people are taking shots at my "First of all, we are all overlooking the fact that meta has changed this way not because of Sneasel, but because of Gallade." I suppose I didn't elaborate enough because I thought it was kind of obvious, and yall managed to come up with the most unreasonable reasoning that I'd never use. I'm not saying Gallade is the problem because it was the last mon to drop and the meta currently is cancer. I know people have short memory spans, but let's look at this: pre-Magneton drop (+ Quag, Kabu, Fletch, Pinsir) We got a (albeit flincheable) Sneasel check, an offensive mon that can take Knock Offs and can revenge Sneasel by 'being faster', Pinsir which destroys Xatu Sneasel teams by the virtue of Mold Breaker SR, and Kabutops, which CB Sneasel cannot OHKO even after SR damage. Yes, I know. Tier change impacts are not that simple, but I'm not seeing how this was a 'favorable' meta shift for Sneasel and how Sneasel's got only better and better through the recent tier shifts. I would also like to say (and many would agree) that at least in that meta, Sneasel was most certainly manageable. Many people weren't even running Sneasel. And while Sneasel / Sawk has been a core for ages. Finchinator can certainly confirm, and even though it was a really good core, it wasn't broken. Not everyone ran that core the way it is now with Gallade: QoL still ran his stall, brawlfest still played his dumb frail offense, kiyo played U-turn teams, some played balance, etc. Now everyone's running Sneasel Gallade, other than Kiyo who's still running U-turn teams. Gallade's impact on the tier is bigger than it looks. People are explicitly shying away from Garbodor, literally one of the best Pokemon pre-Gallade ORAS NU. Why? Because it's no longer even a shaky check to Fighting-types. It just gets shafted by Psychic STAB from Gallade. And worse, unlike Sawk who's locked into stupid Earthquake, Gallade will be not locked into an attack, and sitting pretty after a boost. This isn't even taking into the consideration the chance that Sawk player got outpredicted, for some reason. If there's a difference, there you have it. Gallade killed balanced builds not because Sawk couldn't break through these checks, but because Gallade does so not only without losing momentum, and all the while requiring that you revenge kill it immediately with a strong physical attacker. It's certainly doable, but it's still forcing your hand, which becomes particularly strong if you can answer their main faster physical attacker reliably. If Sneasel gets past offensive mons that need to be SR'd multiple times before being OHKOed, it is because of Gallade that forces them to come in and get in range of Sneasel. If Sawk is really better than Gallade like many people are claiming, why isn't the cancer core "Sawk / Sneasel", instead of "Sneasel / Gallade"? I know that in paper Sawk might be better than Gallade, or Sneasel may be more broken than Gallade, etc. but my experiences actually playing tells me otherwise. Everyone is deathly scared of Gallade, no one uses defensive Poison-types, people still bring in offensive teams with no way to outspeed Sneasel, and the way people are building and playing reflects the tier.

I'd like to go on a tangent to talk a little about the banning philosophy thread, in that "Desirable Metagame" isn't any different from "Preferred Metagame." It's in fact very rare that a ban leads to an objectively better metagame and is more of a give-and-take. It if were so clear cut, it'd been quickbanned already, and it's honestly just people's opinion on which meta is more desirable to them. I may be in the minority, but that's also exactly why even though I don't really want any beef or people calling me dumb for my opinions (which may, for all I know, could be really fucking dumb) I really do want to convince any many people as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)