np: XY UU Stage 0 - I Lived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't Crawdaunt would just get subjected if it starts to exist in a metagame where it has no healthy counters?

It is a little slow that's for sure, but barely anything faster than it want's to switch in anyway (because Adapt knock off actually OHKO's most of the offensive meta) and the only defensive pokemon that can deal with its dual stabs are going to be taken out by an aerial ace. (since all the other type combos that do this are offensive pokemon that take crazy damage from resisted hits just because they're that dang powerful.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 299-352 (106.4 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Crawdaunt Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 268-317 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Left at 17~30%]
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 90-107 (23.4 - 27.8%) -- 79.4% chance to 4HKO [To avoid sucker punch, adamant Crawdaunt is actually faster than uninvented Shiftry]

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Marill: 170-201 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
(Its higher if you knock off Eviolite on the switch in)

252+ Atk Life Orb Crawdaunt Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott: 205-242 (63.4 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Crawdaunt Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 468-551 (144.4 - 170%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 179-213 (66 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 146-174 (48 - 57.2%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only thing I can see that stops this thing is mega Aggron, which is unsafe if its unevolved or if the crawdaunt has superpower.
Hitmontop while might be nice, needs to run full physically defensive just to not get taken out by a crabhammer+Aquajet, making its mach punches only deal about 50%
Help how do I Poliwrath?

252+ Atk Life Orb Crawdaunt Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 133-159 (34.6 - 41.4%) -- 64.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Poliwrath Circle Throw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 144-170 (53.7 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 164-194 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 128-152 (33.3 - 39.5%) -- 17.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Poliwrath Circle Throw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 188-224 (69.3 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 120-143 (31.2 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Poliwrath Circle Throw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 352-420 (124.8 - 148.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also note that although it doesn't kill in one hit these are all frail pokemon that can't switch into much with ease. It pairs off extremely well against all the physical Dark types in the tier while not having the sometimes detrimental Grass typing Chesnaught brings. Not the best thing ever before people start saying how horrible it is, but it's still very usable for all the steel types barring Magnezone as well. Plus checks things like Kingdra, choiced Victini/Darmanitan and when you drop it to test it, Terrakion.

If "well crawdaunt can just switch out" is the basis of you not calling Poliwrath a counter I can see why things like Terrakion have been banned under this new system.

I'll rescind that statement since it's the council's vote to remove things from the tier and not the user base but that's still crooked reasoning. With all of the pokemon that are banned Poliwrath's usability skyrockets.

Last edited:
Can people please stop assuming crawdaunt can just come in anytime it wants and start attacking. That thing has 55 speed and worse bulk than haxorus, its easy to stop because it doesnt get many opportunities to switch in at all.
Slowbro, chansey, things that it threatens with aqua jet, revenge killing, that's just to name a few

Slowbro, chansey, things that it threatens with aqua jet, revenge killing, that's just to name a few
If it switches in chansey it risks losing 100 hp, if it switches on slowbro it takes decent damage and has 30% chance of being burned. Crawdaunt cannot switch on anything without perfect prediction and even then most things will still beat it regardless.

its actually a lot easier than you think, especially when you force a pokemon to use a recovery move, use a slow u-turner or something like that.

Obviously if you're against a florges on a steel type and shes got a some pokemon in need of passing, what is she going to do, MOONBLAST THE AGGRON. Yeah of course.

All these mono attack pokemon are terribly easy to switch around and painfully predictable.

If it switches in chansey it risks losing 100 hp, if it switches on slowbro it takes decent damage and has 30% chance of being burned. Crawdaunt cannot switch on anything without perfect prediction and even then most things will still beat it regardless.
by that logic almost no pokemon can give any walls offensive pressure.

Yes, either that or it gets a free switch on a Wish or comes in on a psyshock. But yea, Crawdaunt is slow af and has the defenses of a wet paper tissue. But that doesnt keep him from denting a switch-in if it manages to come in on moves like Defog or Protect or just Psychic type attacks in general

by that logic almost no pokemon can give any walls offensive pressure.
Who is talking about offensive pressure? No one is denying that crawdaut is a pain for any team to switch in and thats why its A+ rank on the viability threas, but you cant deny that bringing crawdaunt in is equally a pain and forcing it out is trivial. The fact that a pokemon that learns swords dance and dragon dance still prefers to go all-out-attacker is just a testament of this.

Who is talking about offensive pressure? No one is denying that crawdaut is a pain for any team to switch in and thats why its A+ rank on the viability threas, but you cant deny that bringing crawdaunt in is equally a pain and forcing it out is trivial. The fact that a pokemon that learns swords dance and dragon dance still prefers to go all-out-attacker is just a testament of this.
You bring it in by offensive pressure. That's how it gets in. If a wall like chansey decides to attack on 70% health with Stealth Rock on her side of the field, then that is just bad play on chansey's part. which gives you a much better advantage as crawdaunt. Slowbro falls into the same category though it's health needs to be a bit lower thanks to regenerator.

You bring it in by offensive pressure. That's how it gets in. If a wall like chansey decides to attack on 70% health with Stealth Rock on her side of the field, then that is just bad play on chansey's part. which gives you a much better advantage as crawdaunt. Slowbro falls into the same category though it's health needs to be a bit lower thanks to regenerator.
Youre not getting it. I am not saying that daunt cant put offensive pressure on the opponent to come in, i am talking about the fact it cant switch directly on damaging moves due to having shit bulk and speed and thats also why its easy to force out.

Can people please stop assuming crawdaunt can just come in anytime it wants and start attacking. That thing has 55 speed and worse bulk than haxorus, its easy to stop because it doesnt get many opportunities to switch in at all.
There's your previous post stating that it CANT just come in whenever it wants, when im proving that it can come into walls and start attacking. It gets MANY opportunities to switch in, because of the offensive pressure you should be putting on teams while using along side crawdaunt. Crawdaunt is beyond hard to just force out without revenge killing. 55 base speed is more than enough to get passed certain walls. As people have stated, not alot of pokemon enjoy coming in and getting 2HKOed by any of his moves.

There's your previous post stating that it CANT just come in whenever it wants, when im proving that it can come into walls and start attacking. It gets MANY opportunities to switch in, because of the offensive pressure you should be putting on teams while using along side crawdaunt. Crawdaunt is beyond hard to just force out without revenge killing. 55 base speed is more than enough to get passed certain walls. As people have stated, not alot of pokemon enjoy coming in and getting 2HKOed by any of his moves.
Your arguments are biased towards a stall perspective. Offense is extremely common and crawdaunt is going to struggle to even dare step on the field against those and they sure as hell can force it out easily. If youre just going to assume every team consists of 6 pokemon daunt can outspeed and ohko then this discussion is just goung in circles. I stand correct, crawdaunt is hard to get on the field due to its bad bulk and speed and even stall teams are going to have things faster than it (zapdos anyone?).

Your arguments are biased towards a stall perspective. Offense is extremely common and crawdaunt is going to struggle to even dare step on the field against those and they sure as hell can force it out easily. If youre just going to assume every team consists of 6 pokemon daunt can outspeed and ohko then this discussion is just goung in circles. I stand correct, crawdaunt is hard to get on the field due to its bad bulk and speed and even stall teams are going to have things faster than it (zapdos anyone?).
Crawdaunt is a wall breaker. That is why people are showing calcs vs walls. We all know it cant last against offensive fast teams unless they are immediately threatened with aqua jet. Im not biased towards stall, im saying that there are walls(which are not limited to stall) which crawdaunt can take full advantage of. Once crawdaunt is on the field, which isnt hard, something is gonna die or get hit really hard!

EDIT: Also name something that's forcing crawdaunt out without revenge killing?

Last edited:
Crawdaunt is a wall breaker. That is why people are showing calcs vs walls. We all know it cant last against offensive fast teams unless they are immediately threatened with aqua jet. Im not biased towards stall, im saying that there are walls(which are not limited to stall) which crawdaunt can take full advantage of. Once crawdaunt is on the field, which isnt hard, something is gonna die or get hit really hard!
Being a wallbreaker doenst have any matter on what teams youre going to face. Youre as likely to face offense as stall you cant just ignore it to make a point, that is being biased. My entire argument was taking in account the uu meta and crawdaunt struggles to come in on the majority of the common threats and that includes defensive ones. So yes, it is hard to get it on the field when your only switch in opportunities are "a wall using a non damaging" move, if you continue denying then again, this discussion is going in circles.

Being a wallbreaker doenst have any matter on what teams youre going to face. Youre as likely to face offense as stall you cant just ignore it to make a point, that is being biased. My entire argument was taking in account the uu meta and crawdaunt struggles to come in on the majority of the common threats and that includes defensive ones. So yes, it is hard to get it on the field when your only switch in opportunities are "a wall using a non damaging" move, if you continue denying then again, this discussion is going in circles.
The Current UU is pretty Balanced/Stall heavy despite there actually being alot of offensive pokemon. My wall using a mono move was just an example. There are plenty of other ways. Voltturning, switching into a predicted SR, switching into defog, revenge killing. Some of those do have to do with prediction but it is still a way in for him. Volttturning is by far the easiest. No prediction necessary and a switch in on some offensive pokemon which it can threaten out with the use of Aqua Jet. No one is ever assuming crawdaunt can just come in on ANYTHING, but it still can COME IN with not so heavy prediction

The Current UU is pretty Balanced/Stall heavy despite there actually being alot of offensive pokemon. My wall using a mono move was just an example. There are plenty of other ways. Voltturning, switching into a predicted SR, switching into defog, revenge killing. Some of those do have to do with prediction but it is still a way in for him. Volttturning is by far the easiest. No prediction necessary and a switch in on some offensive pokemon which it can threaten out with the use of Aqua Jet. No one is ever assuming crawdaunt can just come in on ANYTHING, but it still can COME IN with not so heavy prediction
I already said countless of times that i am talking about DAMAGING moves. All the situations that you mentioned apply to every single pokemon in the game, the problem with crawdaunt is that it cant tank any attacks (psychic is irrelevant since latias is faster anyway and reun has trick room) as such its switch in opportunities are limited quite unlike other stallbreakers like hydreigon and nidoqueen. That was my entire point ever since the initial post and i hope its clear now.

I am quoting this. Because now your changing your arguement. You are saying NOW damaging moves. and in your first post you said switch in opportunities at all. When I just listed many switch in opportunities for him, though not limited to just him. Which helps my arguement even more for switching crawdaunt in.

I am quoting this. Because now your changing your arguement. You are saying NOW damaging moves. and in your first post you said switch in opportunities at all. When I just listed many switch in opportunities for him, though not limited to just him. Which helps my arguement even more for switching crawdaunt in.
Reread that post and notice the aspect of daunt i am referring to: bad speed and bulk. I am not changing anything, i have been talking about damaging moves since the beginning.

you did say, repeatedely that it "doesnt get many switch in opportunities at all" As in it cant switch into anything. That's what you are saying until you changed your arguement to damaging moves.

Point is. Crawdaunt does get many swtich in opportunites. one way or another.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stepping away from the Crawdaunt discussion, has anyone tried Drapion?

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

I have tried Drapion a bit on the ladder, and this Pokemon definitely has some potential. Drapion was a rather poor mon in BW RU, but it got a couple of neat buffs this gen like Knock Off, Steel no longer resisting Dark, and Poison Jab's newfound ability to hit Fairies like Gardevoir and Florges. It's a bit hard to get the Swords Dance boost (like with any boosting sweeper, really), but once this thing manages to grab the SD boost it can do quite a bit of damage. It's a bit slow, but with Sticky Web support I've managed to get it to work pretty well. 90 Attack isn't that impressive, but it's passable enough for Drapion to pull off a sweep (hey, I mean, Scrafty was a viable DD sweeper last gen). Knock Off after a boost is pretty strong and reliable, and although it becomes weak after one use the item loss on opponents is quite awesome against defensive threats, stripping them of Leftovers or Eviolite. Poison Jab is a very useful tool to hit Florges and Chesnaught, both of who resist Knock Off, while also providing neutral coverage against Fighting-types and the like. Earthquake is, as always, a very good coverage option for any Pokemon with access to it, hitting things like Empoleon and the like, although I am considering Aqua Tail to hit Krookodile and Rhyperior for better damage. I prefer Lum Berry because paralysis and burn both hinder Drapion, and being able to cure itself once is very useful for a sweeper. Anyways, what are your thoughts on this thing?

I could also see a Pursuit trapper set working with Drapion's weird typing, although that may have to compete with Krookodile and Escavalier so idk really.

I've actually had a lot of success with my own Crawdaunt, it takes out so much of the offensive metagame, and threatens a pretty much any defense part of it too. Poliwraith is practically unresistant (gonna go ahead and put a big "yet" right here.) threatening so many pokemon out its silly. Honestly I don't know how people can avoid to see the giant claw grip crawdaunt has this metagame under.

But moving on from the crustacean station, lets move onto scorpions.
I used a drapion myself for a bit it is alright, Ultimately its sort of a let down on every aspect, its stats are just shy of what would make an amazing pokemon. It has no reliable way to use its very useful sniper ability, like kingdra. His defense, while impressive for a tank, his average at best HP and not-so-resistant typing leave him rather open, in addition to the fact he is reliant on black sludge to keep his HP afloat. If you're not running a tank set theres always the sweeper/attacker. But unfortunately 90/95 are just disipointing stats, raise them by 10 and you'd have a pretty potential sweeper on your hands, but again, I feel like draipion is the description of being just one step behind. Always missing one piece to make his dream set come ture but coming out ultimately outclassed, by several other dark attackers (don't make me say it) and other poison or steel types that fend off fairies much more efficiently and aren't forced to eat up unresistant moonblasts on very shaky uninvested 70/75 defenses.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
question for the people who think crawdaunt is broken: would it still be broken with crunch > knock off?

also @ the ones debating aerial ace vs superpower: you're both wrong. use swords dance to boost on the mega aggron / mega blastoise / suicune switchin and proceed to ohko them. or dragon dance and get some unexpected sweeping opportunities.

you'd be surprised how often crawdaunt gets to boost lol

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
question for the people who think crawdaunt is broken: would it still be broken with crunch > knock off?

also @ the ones debating aerial ace vs superpower: you're both wrong. use swords dance to boost on the mega aggron / mega blastoise / suicune switchin and proceed to ohko them. or dragon dance and get some unexpected sweeping opportunities.

you'd be surprised how often crawdaunt gets to boost lol
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Aggron: 281-333 (81.6 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That doesn't look like an OHKO :o

I'd honestly say Crawdaunt is a really defining force in the meta. Mega Aggron isn't a very reliable counter to it, as it'll almost always be weakened previously and then 2HKOed. Plus Dtail / Earthquake doesn't OHKO afaik, so that's really annoying. Keldeo isn't reliable either and variants with less investment get 2HKOed. I've used Chesnaught, and it's honestly really overhyped imho but aside from the obscure Poliwrath is the best option to deal with it (most Crawdaunt don't run Aerial Ace and even if they do, it's hard to predict properly b/c it's really frail). Without Knock Off, Crawdaunt would definitely be much less of an uncounterable threat, but I don't think moves should be suspected because this will have a far wider effect for a single Pokemon. I'm honestly on the edge about Crawdaunt, but if you're using stall without a proper counter or offense with the wrong mon in, this thing will give your team hell.
thank god Smeargle isn't UU or Sticky Web + Crawdaunt would destroy everything
EDIT- I MEANT ISN'T UU NOT ISN'T OU

Last edited:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Aggron: 281-333 (81.6 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That doesn't look like an OHKO :o
Considering we're talking about one of the most bulky defensive pokemon available in UU, especially one without any reliable recovery, that's pretty damn good. A layer of spikes or minor prior damage will fix that soon enough.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Considering we're talking about one of the most bulky defensive pokemon available in UU, especially one without any reliable recovery, that's pretty damn good. A layer of spikes or minor prior damage will fix that soon enough.
real men run superpower on aggron tho :o

(in all honesty I was just nitpicking crawdaunt is actually really scary at +2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)