Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Any analysis on my Mlb.com 12 manager fantasy team?(had last picks).

C Carlos Ruiz

1B David Ortiz

2B Aaron Hill

3B Martin Prado

SS Jose Reyes

OF Carl Crawford(Can't do worse then last year)

OF Michael Bourn

OF Mike Stanton

UT Michael Young

BN Rafael Furcal

BN Josh Willingham

BN Kurt Suzuki

BN Emilio Bonifacio

BN Peter Bourjous

SR LA Angels

SR Nationals

Just got a text today that Jason Varitek is going to announce retirement on Thursday. It's hard to believe that only Big Papi and Youk are now the only ones still with us from the '04 squad.

And to think we traded away a 31-year-old relief pitcher with a 5.79 ERA named Heathcliff Slocumb for him and fellow All Star Derek Lowe way back in 1997. Maybe the second worst trade in baseball history. (The fucking No No Nanett trade being the worst...)

I just wanted to know if anyone would consider him to be a Hall of Famer. I think he should be considered because of his game calling ability and intangibles, but I think his offensive numbers leave him a bit short of making it. But hey, him catching the most no hitters in MLB history is a great trivia question and one which I have already won so much money on. I'll miss Tek's walk up music that has never changed in years, his "photographic baseball memory" according to John Ferrell, and the ol' Papelbon hug after the 2007 World series.

In memory of Tek, I would like to post my computer screensaver of the last 7 years. The King is dead. Long live the King.

Just got a text today that Jason Varitek is going to announce retirement on Thursday. It's hard to believe that only Big Papi and Youk are now the only ones still with us from the '04 squad.

And to think we traded away a 31-year-old relief pitcher with a 5.79 ERA named Heathcliff Slocumb for him and fellow All Star Derek Lowe way back in 1997. Maybe the second worst trade in baseball history. (The fucking No No Nanett trade being the worst...)

I just wanted to know if anyone would consider him to be a Hall of Famer. I think he should be considered because of his game calling ability and intangibles, but I think his offensive numbers leave him a bit short of making it. But hey, him catching the most no hitters in MLB history is a great trivia question and one which I have already won so much money on. I'll miss Tek's walk up music that has never changed in years, his "photographic baseball memory" according to John Ferrell, and the ol' Papelbon hug after the 2007 World series.

In memory of Tek, I would like to post my computer screensaver of the last 7 years. The King is dead. Long live the King.

That'd so cute and emotional. May I post my screensaver too, <3

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

hmm?

Anyway to actually add something constructive to this thread, lets talk about the one division we actually haven't discussed in a long time, the NL West. Right now, I think the Padres, Dodgers, and Rockies have way too many holes to legitimately contend (sorry Matt Kemp/Clayton Kershaw, things are going to get a shitton worse before they get better). That leaves the surprising Arizona Diamondbacks and the San Francisco Giants. Of the two, the Giants are the more "polished" team but have a lot of injury concerns, while the Diamondbacks are somewhat unproven but have a pretty high ceiling. The key to who wins the division will come down to the rotations imo: will Kennedy/Hudson/Cahill keep up with Lincecum/Cain/Bumgarner? In addition, will Buster Posey come back completely healthy? What does everyone else think about the NL West?

@orb: Your fantasy team sucks.

Anyway to actually add something constructive to this thread, lets talk about the one division we actually haven't discussed in a long time, the NL West. Right now, I think the Padres, Dodgers, and Rockies have way too many holes to legitimately contend (sorry Matt Kemp/Clayton Kershaw, things are going to get a shitton worse before they get better). That leaves the surprising Arizona Diamondbacks and the San Francisco Giants. Of the two, the Giants are the more "polished" team but have a lot of injury concerns, while the Diamondbacks are somewhat unproven but have a pretty high ceiling. The key to who wins the division will come down to the rotations imo: will Kennedy/Hudson/Cahill keep up with Lincecum/Cain/Bumgarner? In addition, will Buster Posey come back completely healthy? What does everyone else think about the NL West?
My thoughts are that the Giants are the clear team to beat in the NL West, with no one even close. Lincecum, Cain, Bumgardner and Vogelsong cause such a huge match up problem in a game set. Their bullpen is now better than the Padres and it will be hard to score on them late in ballgames.

Their backstop Buster Posey and Freddy Sanchez are going to be healthy this this year and that is going to have a major impact on the lineup. So will the addition of Melky Cabrera if he can post similar numbers to last year. They have the all important youth in Belt and Crawford as well.

The D-Backs are no doubt going to regress a bit, as Ian Kennedy and Ryan "Tat Man" Roberts are most likely not going to top their production last year. They also have some holes in their starting rotation. LAD's pitching is utter shit, and their lineup is pretty stale in the back end despite some high quality talent up top. I mean for fucks sake, Mark Ellis is so old he should be dead, Juan Uribe is a fat ass bumb, and James Loney couldn't hit more than 10 home runs off of High School pitching. Colorado is rebuilding it's pitching and does not even have a MLB ready number 1 or 2 pitcher to call on. The Friers also took a hit in the SP department with the Latos trade and are more offensively challenged than Seattle, but their youth could step up and push them to a playoff berth. I doubt it, but they have so much young talent that they could contend. I mean, the other four teams in this division are so weak that they have the best chance of catching fire.

Honestly, the winnier of this division will be the one who goes and solves their problems at the trading deadline. I don't see anyone in this division getting out of the first round of the playoffs, but if a team is willing to go all in then they have the chance to win this sorry excuse of a division. My odds of winning the division right now would have to go as follows:

San Francisco Giants (55.0%)
Arizona Diamond Backs (20.0%)
San Diego Padres (10.0%)
Los Angeles Dodgers (7.5%)
Colorado Rockies (7.5%)

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really don't agree with calling the D-Backs weak at all, this is a team that pushed Milwaukee to 5 games and a TPlush walk-off in the 10th. Then they went out and upgraded their rotation with Cahill, plus Stephen Drew is coming back, plus they signed Jason Kubel to upgrade the outfield a bit. Again, a playoff team that lost nothing significant from last year and gained three impact players. I'm really liking this team.

edit: and yeah wow what was your first round pick? Reyes? Willingham on the bench after Crawford? The hell?

You can't talk about holes in the D'Backs rotation and not mention studs like Bauer and Skaggs. They're the team to beat in the West.

First exibition game was today with the Phillies beating FSU 6-1 on a Hector Luna home run.

Real nice to see some baseball being played, as I've been waiting since November for redemption.

I almost died looking at tennis's picture. How do you think the one team we never talk about will rebound: the Twins. We all know it used to be an offensive oriented team in the metrodome w/ Mauer, Morneau, Kubel. Do you think it will be a "rebuilding" phase for them, or do they have contention for 2nd in the Al Central?

I almost died looking at tennis's picture. How do you think the one team we never talk about will rebound: the Twins. We all know it used to be an offensive oriented team in the metrodome w/ Mauer, Morneau, Kubel. Do you think it will be a "rebuilding" phase for them, or do they have contention for 2nd in the Al Central?
Mourneau is cronically concussed and is never going to be the same player he once was. Mauer is being shapped into a 1st baseman, which reduces his value as a hitter drastically. They have no pitching and wasted a shitload on what appears to be a bland second baseman in Neishioka. But the central is the weakest division in the AL by far, so maybe they have a shot at second. But second place doesn't get you in the playoffs unless you are in the AL East, so I think they need to scrap their bumbs and go get some young pitching.

edit: and yeah wow what was your first round pick? Reyes? Willingham on the bench after Crawford? The hell?
Any analysis on my Mlb.com 12 manager fantasy team?(had last picks).
Yeah, because willingham is a superstar. I'm putting in Borjour the first 1-3 weeks Crawford will be out. Of course I picked reyes first pick, as I didn't have options as all the superstars were gone.

Speaking of shitty MLB fantasy drafts, do we have approximate start for our smogon season?
Speaking in a curious standpoint as you guys will nag me about making horrible draft decisions even though I won last year with a simular structure, what site are you guys doing your league on?

Quick count, you have:

Me
Moi
Biggie
drcossack
stallion
aamto
orbpom123

Plus who ever from the bwebber, jackal, pookar group that you said played last year and we have a good number of 10.

tennisace

Yeah why not. I'll try to be active I guess? At least this is on Yahoo where one of my other leagues is. (PS orbpom what kind of shitty league doesn't snake draft... you should have tried to get Giancarlo Stanton)

edit: i'm not mocking you, i'm just giving you shit about your fantasy team (and bringing attention to mike stanton trying to bring attention to himself)

I told you I would participate, why mock me? I never did yahoo, so I would not be used to the draft. I assume we would be doing the live draft, as I see there is that, auction(sounds gay) and autodraft(why even play?).

Last year we ran an auction. I'm fine with either or, so it doesn't matter to much. Auction may seem a bit fickle, but I personally believe it to be more intensive in comparison to a snake draft.

So this brings us up to 9-
moi
drcossack
pookar
tennisace
BiGGiE
aamto
ButteredToast
orpbom123
MS

1 or 3 more would be pretty perfect.

tennisace

Oh lord I <3 JP Arencibia now.

edit: Yadier Molina signed a 5 year 75 mil extension. I think its a pretty fair contract considering he's one of the top defensive catchers in the majors AND he hit .305/65/14, which is excellent for a catcher.

Oh lord I <3 JP Arencibia now.

edit: Yadier Molina signed a 5 year 75 mil extension. I think its a pretty fair contract considering he's one of the top defensive catchers in the majors AND he hit .305/65/14, which is excellent for a catcher.
Great lock up, definitely the captain of the team now that Pujols is gone. I think he is the best defensive catchery by far, as he is durable, eliminates running completely(see the WS), and hits a fantastic average for a sucky hitting position.

Start of the games just around the corner, I'm pumped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)