Official NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
The most influential plays went against the Thunder because they were rallying. Not to say they deserved to win that game. They played poorly, but to have a chance to tie or win that game removed in that fashion, it's not right.

KG, a large part of their half comeback was because of Durant, and he wouldn't have been able to do that if he fouled out vs. Battier (which he should have in my opinion). That pretty much makes the other bad calls irrelevant.

Edit: Ninja'd....again....

It's too bad that the call was missed, an overtime would've been awesome, but you really can't blame a loss on one bad call, especially when the rest of the calls honestly went in OKC's favor.

I think the big difference was Westbrook's decision making in the first half. In Game 1 he had what, 7 assists at halftime? He was making the smart plays, whereas this game he starts off going 1 of 9.

Still, great almost-comeback, very fun game.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I didn't see that. They had me keep the game off for a while in IRC because they rallied when I changed it, after a ridiculous foul call on the Thunder. I believe it was the one on Collison.

OK nevermind. This series is going to be close. Both teams are very good and will certainly keep us glued to our seats. It was funny when OKC called a timeout at the end and the guy holding the ball made a 3 pointer. If they hadn't called that timeout, OKC probably would have won.

The officiating team?

:adam:
Anyway, while I loathe 50% of the Thunder's top six, I can't help but have mad respect for Sefolosha, Durant, and Ibaka. True workhorses who don't act like cocky jackasses (Westbrook and Harden), and don't try to be Sauron (Perkins). I really just wish Durant would have a bad fourth quarter one of these games...

No one cares about Durant's shitty defense. When he was getting abused in the first quarter by Lebron, Brooks switched Sefolosha onto him and let Durant guard Shane Battier which he still couldn't do. Players like him and Carmelo Anthony get a lot of credit for playing well in the fourth quarter, but a lot of that is because they are less fatigued from not trying on defense. You can blame the officials but if Durant had given any effort on defense Shane Battier would not even come close to seven three point attempts.

The final blown call was the biggest and most important because there was no time left to overcome it. Also, LeBron was intentionally fouling Durant. How do you hook a superstar when he is INTENTIONALLY fouling someone?

Thunder played poorly and STILL would have forced OT if the refs hadn't hooked baby bronbron. And don't say, "Durant should have fouled out." I would have said the refs gave Miami the win had Durant fouled out since the precedent the refs have set is that you can be a premier physical defender who is all over your man for four quarters and foul out about once every four years (LeBron).

Thunder didn't deserve to win because they played like absolute scrubs but despite their flailing they were within two points with the final possession and the refs swallowed their whistle on an INTENTIONAL foul. Bronbron initiated the contact before the shot because Miami had a foul to give. Was a good play by James but an inexcusable call by the refs.

Yet Durant shouldn't have even been in the game when he charged at Battier.

I mean come on, people.
Lets not make it like this is the first time a star player didnt get a call so he didnt foul out... Im pretty sure everyone knows when a star has 5 fouls, refs are a bit reluctant to call #6 on them

The officiating was awful, no doubt, but the Thunder's ultimate demise came in not containing Cryami's three best players. James had 30-something points, Wade shot 50% and was overall way better than in Game 1, and Bosh had 16 points and 15 rebounds, seven rebounds being offensive ones.

Fisher should've activated his clutch powers down the stretch, IMO.

Lets not make it like this is the first time a star player didnt get a call so he didnt foul out... Im pretty sure everyone knows when a star has 5 fouls, refs are a bit reluctant to call #6 on them
Exactly.

And likewise refs are reluctant to blow the whistle on the final possession of a one possession game (in the finals) when the two best players in the sport are going head to head.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. It was a foul, but it's no surprise that it wasn't called. Some calls went against the Thunder, some went against the Heat, overall it was one of the better officiated games in the playoffs from what I've seen, but it can't be perfect. Basketball is too damn hard to officiate.

Also I can't believe anyone thinks "If they call that foul then = overtime." Durant struggled from the line all night so you shouldn't assume he'll make both shots, especially with the pressure that high. Additionally, there were 7 seconds left... so there's a decent chance the Heat would've scored and won in regulation anyway. Overall at least a 60% chance the Heat were winning that game even if they'd called that foul (which again, people shouldn't be bitching about anyway).

Looking forward to game 3 of this amazing series. Hopefully Bosh will keep the effort up and board like crazy. Battier doesn't need to hit a million shots as long as somebody else steps up their game, and there was room for improvement from just about every other Heat player. It'd be nice to see the Heat play well in the second half, but I'm sure OKC fans are saying it'd be nice to see OKC not start the game in a big hole. Maybe they'll reverse in game 3 :P

I like how everybody is whining to the refs about the Heat but prior to this Finals, people were whining about the refs to <x> team against the Thunder.

Like seriously.

Anyway, before you continue to put more emphasis on a single play versus the entire game:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/15/nba-finals-heat-thunder-referees/

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/15/thunder-heat-finals-lineups/ - Brooks needs a line-up change.

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/221539/Miamis_Adjustments_Lead_To_Game_2_Win - The starting line-up will likely predict the game I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)