Finals Official Smogon Doubles Tournament II - Finals [Won by tob]

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Artwork by Blazenix
Welcome to the second edition of the Official Smogon Doubles Tournament! This year's format will be a Bo3 SS Doubles OU swiss tournament with a top cut, in which the winner walks away with the OSDT trophy
!

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a standard SS DOU tournament.
  • OSDT II will be a 10 round swiss tournament with a top cut of 32. After 10 rounds, the 28 players at 8-2 (with the Top 4 based on record > opponent's win percentage > opponent's opponent's win percentage receiving first round byes) or better will advance to a Top 32 Bo3 single elimination top cut.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • If you are paired against someone you have already played, alert a host immediately. There is no method to preventing this when making the pairings, so if it comes up the hosts will swap the players on the right with the pairing in question and the pairing above it.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • [NEW] Matches must be played on the Smogon Tournaments Pokemon Showdown! server.
  • Replays are required and must be posted every round.
  • There are no extensions, so please get your games done on time.
  • Your hosts are TPP, emma, and zee. Please contact them or a Tournament Director with any questions.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

Prize

This year, in addition to the trophy, the winner will receive their choice of a custom avatar, claiming an inactive username on PS!, or choosing a custom color for their username on PS! courtesy of Zarel. The runner-up will be allowed to choose one of the two remaining prizes not chosen by the winner. [NEW] There will also be $200 cash prize!

Resources

Smogon Tournament Discord
Doubles OU Discord
Doubles OU Overview
Doubles OU Strategy Dex
Doubles OU Sample Teams
Doubles OU Viability Rankings
OSDT II Teams, Replays, and Usage Stats

Standings

1. Ninja (10-0, 62-23 (72.94%) Resistance)
2. Akaru Kokuyo (9-1, 69-24 (74.19%) Resistance)
3. Chris32156 (9-1, 60-24 (71.42%) Resistance)
4. fespy (9-1, 61-26 (70.11%) Resistance)
5. stax (9-1, 49-28 (63.64%) Resistance)

6. tob (8-2, 60-23 (72.29%) Resistance)
7. GenOne (8-2, 64-26 (71.11%) Resistance)
8. Tenzai (8-2, 58-25 (69.88%) Resistance)

9. MADARAAAA (8-2, 62-27 (69.66%) Resistance)
10. SMB (8-2, 60-27 (68.97%) Resistance)
11. umbry (8-2. 59-27 (68.60%) Resistance)
12. JRL (8-2, 60-28 (68.18%) Resistance)
13. Z Strats (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 435-229 (65.51%) Opponent's Resistance)
14. Animus (8-2, 57-27 (67.86%) Resistance, 389-233 (62.54%) Opponent's Resistance)
15. RelicanthPrimal (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 424-209 (66.98%) Opponenet's Resistance)
16. Shadowmonstr7 (8-2, 54-26 (67.50%) Resistance, 395-220 (64.23%) Opponent's Resistance)
17. shaian (8-2, 54-27 (66.67%) Resistance)
18. AuraRayquaza (8-2, 55-28 (66.27%) Resistance)
19. Ann nomina (8-2, 55-29 (65.47%) Resistance)
20. aim (8-2, 52-29 (64.20%) Resistance)
21. Failbor (8-2, 48-28 (63.16%) Resistance)
22. EternalSnowman (8-2, 48-29 (62.34%) Resistance)
23. Crunchman (8-2, 46-28 (62.16%) Resistance)
24. MichaelderBeste2 (8-2, 49-30 (62.03%) Resistance)
25. Lily (8-2, 47-29 (61.84%) Resistance)
26. Lemurro (8-2, 43-28 (60.56%) Resistance)
27. Givrix (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 304-187 (61.91%) Opponent's Resistance)
28. Lucky-Sama (8-2, 39-30 (56.52%) Resistance, 270-191 (58.57%) Opponent's Resistance)

Finals

MADARAAAA vs. tob

Please read this guide if you're unsure how to schedule with your opponent! Alternatively, watch this video made by teal6:

Deadline: Sunday September 25th @ 9:00 PM GMT-4
EXTENSIONS ARE ALLOWED
SMOGTOURS IS MANDATORY

REPLAYS ARE MANDATORY

07527900-C8A5-44C9-86F3-827F24F41C4D.jpeg
54964F8C-CA89-4C18-9489-5E94A3880222.jpeg
5FDE5A42-F73F-4454-B092-A4A0EFC2FF24.jpeg
E415F30F-D7FB-43BF-91C2-37E39E2E85DC.jpeg

You know what time it is.

What an awesome finals matchup, both players definitely deserve to be here. Fighting through 10 rounds of Swiss and then 5 rounds of top cut is impressive enough, but there’s one set left to be played. Both players have beaten some of the biggest names to get here, and have won as both underdogs and favorites.

The only unfortunate thing about this matchup is that the two had been practicing together, probably thinking “they’re on the other side of the bracket, we’ll never end up playing”, and yet here we are. This may favor Tob, who’s been using exclusively their own builds as far as I can tell, so they may be able to put together a few more for this set. On the other hand, Madaraaaa is a really good builder themself, even if they do occasionally use shared teams.

If you had told me this was the finals matchup when the tournament started, I would have absolutely picked Madaraaaa as they were more known on the scene, having had a lot of really good tournament runs thus far. Tob was a bit more unknown in the doubles scene, but after this run in OSDT they’ll no longer fly under the radar. Sunday 3:30pm -4 can’t come soon enough.

Last round Madaraaaa brought two solid teams featuring Fini/Zygarde/Mew, and managed to outmaneuver JRL to get the win in two games. Good play + solid teams is always a recipe for success. Tob also won in 2 vs Crunchman, bringing a cool sand team game 1 and a very unique Moltres-g psyspam team game 2. Tob’s unique builds have worked out so far, can they work for 1 more set? I think between these two, my pick has to be obvious:

MADARAAAA (50) vs. tob (50)

tob

Banned deucer.
won in two, ggs my man

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-651202
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8doublesou-651212

- GenOne for helping me test for MADARAAAA, and MADARAAAA for helping me test for everyone else. i can't think of anyone more fitting for me to play in finals and i 100% wouldn't have made it without your help
- Crunchman for sending me some teams at the start of the tour, as well as anyone else whose teams i "borrowed" from team dumps/discord/whatever
- anyone else who supported me from the sidelines- somebody had to, right?
- RSB
1664136997953.png

turns out writing shoutouts is hard, so i'll just once again stress how helpful MADARAAAA was in playoffs when i was experimenting with my own builds, you deserve this as much as i do bro

#teamtobert

This was my first osdt and it was a long and great adventure. I wanna say thanks to the people that helped me in preparation or simply supported me, I appreciated so much
mammalu Mihowk LoSconosciuto waffle2O2O Ferrari450 AtraX Madara Herv and italian chat in general, and of course all members of ducks

Actuarily Toxigen JRL SMB zee Meminger21 Enzonana. thanks a lot for testing guys

For sure I forgot a lot of names, thanks to all who cheered me or helped me

And a final huge thank you to the winner tob, I don't know how many battles we did in testing during our run, to prepare our respective games helping each other, so my defeat is less bitter. We were destined to meet in finals.
Congratulations homie!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)