OM Core Laddering Challenge [Challenge #13 @ post #497; deadline Feb. 24]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the deadline is near, I now announce that Challenge #2 will end on January 24th, 2017. Next challenge will be BH and two metas that I haven't decided yet.

Also I haven't seen anyone got Gold in 1v1 CLC until now. Is the reqs too hard? Or the mon is bad? Anyway if you feel it's too hard, give feedback please.

Since the deadline is near, I now announce that Challenge #2 will end on January 24th, 2017. Next challenge will be BH and two metas that I haven't decided yet.

Also I haven't seen anyone got Gold in 1v1 CLC until now. Is the reqs too hard? Or the mon is bad? Anyway if you feel it's too hard, give feedback please.
Three things I think:
1. The reqs are too high for gold and plat. Plat is legit impossible. You would get rank 1 before you got plat. Gold is really high if you want to use bad pokemon like Bewear. It's certainly reachable if you used a better pokemon, though. It might be reachable with Bewear if you were good and got lucky and played for a while.
2. Most of the good 1v1 players don't use Smogon.
3. Bewear sucks, so it's hard to do really well with.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

I agree with a lot of things Kentari mentioned, such as Platinum being a tad high and that Bewear isn't a great Pokemon. Bewear's low speed tier and not so great Special Defense means it loses to a lot of common threats such as Tapu Koko. It takes up a slot on the team, which is extremely important when you can use only 3 Pokemon. This limits team options and makes it much harder to reach Gold/Platinum. I'm kinda close to getting Gold, but I do have a problem with dropping especially since I'm basically down to two Pokemon considering Bewear is nearly never used because of how limiting it is.

K. If no one gets Gold in 1v1 CLC, I'll redo 1v1 for Challenge #3. So I'll do BH, 1v1 and a third meta that's undecided (or I can decide just 2 metas).

Sketchmons is still suspecting things and iirc AAA will be the next meta to suspect things after Sketchmons. I'm not allowed to do CLC for suspecting meta so those two are out of the question. AG's been done two times so the only possible meta rn is Mix and Mega, though I don't really want to do Mix and Mega again because there are already 3 people who got Platinum. Am I allowed to do OMotM CLC until the end of the month, The Immortal?

If I can do Pokebilities until 31st of January, then I will do it as third meta. If no, maybe just two metas... until someone give me a core of MnM. If anyone want me to do MnM for Challenge #3, then give me a core since I don't feel like finding a core for MnM right now.

Last edited:
Ok so my suggestion for a MnM CLC is Mamoswine + Darkrai

Mamoswine
is actually a really cool mon, and there are a number of viable sets that it can run. For example, I can see a lucarionite Mamoswine being quite a good wallbreaker. I honestly have seen probably 1-2 mamoswines in all my time playing MnM this gen, and I reckon a CLC is just what mamo needs to get some usage, as I think its seriously underrated.

Darkrai was quite the hot topic before the official meta came out. It was causing quite the shitstorm when GOS refused to quickban it, and everyone was going nuts, saying (rightfully so) that pigeotite drai would be just too good for the meta to be balanced. Now that that is no longer an issue, darkrai has pretty low usage in mnm, despite the fact that is still has extremely high base speed and Spa. It also has a great movepool and the potential to run many cool sets. Absolite, Lucarionite, and Blastoisinite all could be quite cool on drai, with the potential to be very scary indeed

I would actually be quite fine swapping darkrai out for another mon. A special attacker would make the most sense, and latios seems like a nice option if people would prefer latios.

S/o to Quantum Tesseract Zephyr Dragon Lord and InfernapeTropius11 for brainstorming CLC3 MnM core ideas with me

I'd like to remind everyone that Challenge #2 ends in around 24 hours. Congratulations to Racool, Quantum Tesseract and Zephyr Dragon Lord for reaching Platinum in Mix and Mega. I'd like you guys to post your team to be featured in Hall of Fame. All of you btw.

Regarding AG and 1v1, since no one reach Platinum yet, I'll wait until the end of the challenge and see who has the highest elo from screenshot, so the winners will be announced after Challenge #2 ends.

Keldeo @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Garchomp @ Metagrossite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Metagrossite
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Return
- Swords Dance

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Venusaurite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Dragonite @ Pinsirite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Return

This is the team that carried me all CLC, and while it's got plenty of flaws it worked really well. HP Ice on keldeo was chosen over icy wind for a better chance to OHKO Garchomp and just do more damage in general since keldeo is already way too fast, but if you really want to swap it out for whatever. Absolite keld in general is really good, as it can actually 1v1 most PDons and prevent rocks from going up, and answer blissey, and answer rock/groundceus for Dnite, and it outspeeds threats like manaphy to revenge KO them. Garchomp, meanwhile, is an offensive rocks setter. 142 speed is great, and with swords dance+coverage it forces out sablenite users+PDon and can thus often set rocks and get a KO every match. About the only disadvamtage to it is how much Phero counterleads it. I chose kartana then because it's just a really amazing mon rn. Return over smart strike lets it hit Zapdos, and just about nothing else takes it on. It's also really bulky, taking about 60% from a genesect extreme speed, and it cteamed the CLC core by outspeeding base 148 keldeo as well as breaking pretty much every stall that lacks heat wave zapdos. I was then weak to flyspam, so in came rockceus to wisp, set rocks in case garchomp got distracted KOing things, and to just generally get some fast burns in versus physical threats. I was then looking really phero weak, so in came zapdos, and it does that+pivot+defog+backup aerilate and requires just about no team support to function; it's probably ethemost splashable mon in the metagame. The last member was a bit harder of a pick, but I had a defogger and no real rker/cleaner, plus zapdos as the only Phero answer left me really weak to uturn spam. Thus, Dragonite was the best pick, as it's an absurd sweeper that also takes on fast frail mons with ease.

Alright, since you wanted the team... I already posted about it. Here.
https://gyazo.com/01e960a001fcc1c3207dcfcbc923e897

As for the team itself... it's what I used in the back half of this CLC challenge.
Yearly Greetings: A CLC team

Hi, Durza. (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Absolite
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Secret Sword

Hello, past (Garchomp) (F) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Hello, storm (Cobalion) @ Pinsirite
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Hello, hope (Togekiss) (F) @ Red Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- Heal Bell

Hey there, flipside (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Hello, Future (Solgaleo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

I made this team in order to prove that the ladder can be topped with non-broken things, and as a self-appeal. By the nice record that happened, I can safely say that I've succeeded.

Keldeo and Garchomp are both here because the CLC needs them there. While they do not compliment each other defensively, even disregarding fairies, they form a great offensive core, being able to smash an unprepared team on their own. Keldeo is named after Durza in order to taunt him, and Garchomp was named... after my past, where I had quite the vendetta against it, thanks to this site (and Tyranitar... who was a dastard in Generations 5 and 4)

Cobalion is named after Leafstorm, an offensive player who is skilled in Mix and Mega, and hates stall. This is a carbon copy of his Cobalion, except without Substitute. As for why I chose Cobalion, it is the first thing that came to mind when making this team.

Togekiss was a decision made in a panic after trying to mend the team after a nasty string of losses. Deoxys-Speed was once here to give Fardin nightmares, but it was bad against offensive teams, so it needed to be replaced, and I even managed to STILL make it mean to stall. Togekiss fits in beautifully to the team, taking on. and even OHKOing Tapu Koko with Flamethrower. It serves as a very nice special wall for this team, managing to take on most Special Red Orb users. Named after the sign that this team got better.

Griatina-Origin serves as my Defogger, and my Primal Groudon counter. It does well against the behemoth, excluding those that pack Dragon Claw. It's hardly passive too; both Hex and Dragon Pulse do good damage, and Will-O-Wisp messes up the days of many sweepers. It also manages to be a perfect Katarna wall. Named after the fact that it lives in the Distortion World.

Solgaleo serves as my primary physical tank, and as a two part check to Dragonite, along with a much better check to the other Aerilate Extreme Speed users. Solgaleo is incredibly bulky in general, meaning that very little will OHKO it. Named with the mind that metallic sun might be in the future.
As for my CLC ideas, I have a few ideas. I was the one who put forth the Latios partner to Mamoswine. After the Soul Dew nerf, we just haven't seen Latios a whole lot, and it compliments both Ice and Ground types rather well. Though it is admittedly one-sided protection, I still feel they're good offensive partners, too.

Flygon and Milotic could also be a good core to revisit later. The former was buffed with the generation shift, and the latter covers for Flygon's weaknesses. This will be better when Altarianite is released, but store that idea until then.

I also have stuff with Haxorus floating around. He's terribly underused, and even though he might be outclassed, I'll eat my shoe if he can't make waves against some of the current walls. The pairing here is probably a Fairy or Ice resist, so something like Primal Kyogre or Scizor would work.

And then, there's a neat idea for April Fool's I had. Use Pokémon no one thinks about as a core. Stuff like Hypno and Poliwrath come to mind. Basically, those that can hold Mega Stones, but no one in their right mind would use willingly. That could be real fun as an April Fool's joke. Ladder, and suddenly see a bunch of Fearows or something in Mix and Mega. The idea warms my heart....

Hi, I can't see what the sprites are in the second post that lists the various challenges. Can you put the text names next to them? Also, can we still do challenge 1 even though challenge 2 has been posted?

Ok. Challenge #2 is now over. Congrats to charizard8888 for winning 1v1 and FamousVGC for winning AG. Please post your team to be featured in Hall of Fame.

Challenge #3
BH, 1v1, Pokebilities

BH

and

1v1

Pokebilities

and

Elo required for each achievements

BH
Bronze: 1350
Silver: 1500
Gold: 1650
Platinum: 1800

1v1
Bronze: 1325
Silver: 1450
Gold: 1575
Platinum: 1700

Pokebilities
Bronze: 1200
Silver: 1300
Gold: 1400
Platinum: 1500

Special thanks to E4 Flint for BH idea and all other people who gave me a core. Even though they are not used now, I definitely appreciate them and they will be considered in future Challenges when I redo those metas.

Challenge goes until around 10th of February with exception of Pokebilities only until 31st of January.

Last edited:

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Sneak

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Roar

Arceus @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Recover
So this is a pretty fun bulky offensive team. Essentially, paralyze/poison everything, get rid of the ground types, and use Magearna to slow pivot into Gengar.

Sorry for being a bit late, but without further ado this is my CLC2 MnM team (using the core of keldeo + chomp if you missed it).
Nice mag (Garchomp) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Nice deso land (Golisopod) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Leech Life

Nice aerilate:( (Keldeo) @ Absolite
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast
- Scald

Nice aerilate (Arceus-Rock) @ Stone Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 28 SpD / 48 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Judgment
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Min rolls FTW (Dragonite) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw

Hax me pls (Cresselia) @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

Lets start off with the core, as it was the most important bit of the team. My choices for items are pretty straightforward. Lucarionite chomp is pretty scary for stall, while also posing an issue to some offensive mons due to its quite high speed and attack. Also adapt is just perfect on it tbh. Stone edge is for well coverage ig, dragon claw does similar damage to all flying types that dont resist, and doesnt miss like every single time, so I reccomend using it more often. Moving on to the other half, absolite keldeo is just pretty standard. It was always going to be either lucarionite or absolite for me, and what made me chose absolite was purely magic bounce. Lucarionite actually hits a bit harder cos of adapt, but absolite keldeo is just a fanstasic lead due to crazy high speed, as well as the ability to mess up ur opps hazard lead. The rest of the team is fairly straightforward. Arceus-rock is my aerilate switchin, while also being a great sweeper once like kart and pher are gone. Golis is my Pdon switch, although keldeo is viable as well, as many times pdon will go for the stealth rocks. Cress is my main wincon, and without regi in the meta, its all the more strong/broken. Dnite as QT said, is just a fantastic sweeper with scale + dd+ aerilate being extremely scary if rocks arent up.

Threats: Deo-speed is a nightmare. Every time i saw one in the team preview, my heart kinda sunk, as I knew i was in for a tough battle. The reason for this is that my team has no defogger/spinner, and mold breaker ruins the magic bounce lead. it basically ruins the possibility of dnite sweeping late game, whilst also making pivoting around ur opp really hard as u keep losing hp to rocks.

Kartana is also really scary. If dnite and keldeo are gone, and ur opp still has kart... well pretty much gg.

Sorry for the pretty brief and boring description, im just pretty tired and lazy after a week of exams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)