Omg, shinies

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
*Grumble*.

I've seen these shinys over the years:

- Shiny Pichu and Cleffa (obviously from Crystal Egg)
- Shiny Nidoran Male (Made me happy until I knew it's IVs) on FireRed

None on D/P though. However, my one friend had 4 fucking shinies on his Pearl Game: Onix, Steelix, Machop, and Meditite (the Meditite was lol though, Modest nature).

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Shinies are meant to be rare (and they are), so don't be disappointed about not getting one. As for my own shiny encounters:

Fire Red - encountered shiny Venomoth in the Safari Zone, but the little bugger ran before I could catch it.

Emerald - in the Battle Frontier's Battle Factory, I obtained a shiny Metagross through the Battle Swap, but I could only use it for 3 battles. Somewhat disappointing.

Also on Emerald I caught a Naive Electrike, high speed IV but crappy everywhere else.

D/P - bred a shiny Pineco.

So yeah, that's 4 in total, not counting G/S/C's 'gimme', of the ones I have obtained myself. I have a few more through trades, but they don't count so much. And considering I've been playing since the games first came out, that's pretty low, but then I haven't really gone looking for them.

I've found 4 shinies and been extremely lucky with the natures. I got...

A Modest Ghastly found in Old Chateau (now a Gengar)
A Modest Chinchou from diving underwater in Sapphire (now a Lanturn)
A Relaxed Pineco hatched while breeding for Pokemon not in my Pokedex in Sapphire (now a Forretress)
A Jolly Kricketune that I randomly found in the grass

Funny story behind the Ghasty and Kricketune. I found both within 10 hours of each other on Diamond the very first day the game was out in the US. I reported it on IGN and people thought I was lying until I got some photo proof up later in the day.

I only got my first ever shiny the other day breeding. I've played every poke game without ever finding one in the wild e.t.c So i was estatic when it hatched outta my egg

Only shiny I ever seen or caught was Porygon. I caught it in the trophy garden. It was Bold with terrible Iv's.

Only one shiny that I've seen. My sister and I were hunting for some Feebas, and she managed to catch a shiny red gyarados. This is the D/P generation btw.

Worse: it is adamant nature >_> WTF, perfect nature, shiny ? Well... at least she didn't find a feebas :-p

At first I thought I was going to tell you that you asked this question at the wrong forum cuz I expected alot more "I don't give a crap about shinies" posts.

But anyway..... as you can tell by my name, I'm quite interested in them.

The first shiny I encountered... it was after the Red Gyarados, one of the times I reset my Gold game to play again. I was exploring waaay too soon in a tough area and stumbled into Mt. Mortar's back rooms.
A shiny Raticate came up. I couldn't run from it. I couldn't kill it. I couldn't catch it because I only got as many Balls as Pokemon I wanted for my team back then. It kicked my ass.

Time rolls on, into 3rd gen....

A few years ago, I lacked any. Me and my friend made a contest to see who could get a shiny first. Almost a year passed, I couldn't take it anymore. I hacked and got a shiny Vulpix just to have a shiny (much like my other friend did). I spilled the beans when I truely DID get my first shiny, and it was when I wasn't really into it. I had just finished my Emerald up to the point of where whathisname gives you Beldum. Just for the heck of it, I saved and started resetting......

And withen 100 SRs, I noticed yellow claws, and squinted harder (it was on my original GBA) and saw silver, and then I got better lighting, and I couldn't believe it. I think I saved twice, took out the game and put it into my DS, checked it, and there it was, shiny Beldum. I saved again (XD) started taking pictures and uploading as fast as I could to start bragging for real.

There's not alot you can really base Metagross off of when it was ALL about chance. So, somehow I lead myself up to Eevee in LG; withen 400 SRs (with breaks in between) I had a shiny white Eevee.

Who was next.... oh, yeah. I think it was Machop.

I was playing 2 games at once, and like 230 hours into my FR, a shiny Machop comes up in Victory Road. It has a Lonely nature and a 30 Attack IV......

Next, I forgot which came first, but..... I Soft Reset for a shiny Totodile in Emerald like a freaking maniac for a week and finally got it. I was trying to get one before someone else. :P

Next, playing Sapphire and Emerald at the same time, I tried hard trying to get a shiny Magnemite, my most favorite shiny of all/Magneton.
I never got it in 3rd Gen, but I DID get a shiny blue Voltorb. It was kool watching that blue thing come across the screen when I encountered it. It would become one of my first EV'd Shiney Pokemanz. Magnet Rise + HP Water 55 done SOME things, but it was just sorta weak compared to things to come.

Next, my last shiny in 3rd gen came back on my main home game, FireRed. I SR'd alot but nowhere near as much as for others; I still got a Shiny Scyther out of it. The catch? A -Attack nature.

Time rolls on, into the 4th gen.....

I hear about this coveted "Radar". I heard you could catch shinies with it. So I finally get the damn thing and couldn't work it at first; all I saw was my precious hours of gameplay go down the drain as I wasn't so special anymore, or at least, my Pokemon weren't, as some people were catching shinies by the handfuls, reducing their value.........

So, the friend I talked about earlier got me into a 3 way chat with someone else and we discussed how to work it, and once again, we make a contest to see who gets a shiny using this method first.

So, later that night, I start to work on this.
I still didn't know what I was doing, or why the same Pokemon kept appearing over and over. I wanted to try and get Skuntank, although Buizel was something I really wanted.
I went to the route the PalPark is on and started Radar-ing. Gastrodon came up, I killed it.
It activated again, Gastrodon came up. I killed it.
It was like... 1:30 AM and I was tired. I thought I saw sparkles. I went to that grass. My first radar shiny, Gastrodon, bringing my overall shiny total to 7 if you weren't paying attention.

I lol'd, left, got pictures, and showed them up.

Ok, so finally I figure out how to work it, sorta. I wanted something strong. Something unique. Most of my 3rd gen shinies were complete and utter crap. I needed Tyranitar.

So I worked hard trying to get a Larvitar. I actually got to 40, but I didn't know better and broke the chain. Otherwise, I could have a real ass-kicker. It still does a good job though. A shiny Larvitar came up on number 26 in one of the attempts. I was exhausted. A neutral-ish nature. I'm not stating anything else because I actually use my shinies as my team.

So, next I go after one that I wanted in 3rd gen but never got. Roserade.
Coincidentally, I got a shiny Budew on #26 as well. It has a good nature, too, and shiny Roserade is one of my most strongest Pokemon on my team, although frail and Grass/Poison doesn't do alot.

So, we're at 9 shinies, and the end of May last year. I would get so frustrated that the radar wasn't working for me anymore, when I saw others excel greatly.

It wouldn't get another shiny until Thanksgiving of last year when Absol Swarmed. I got one at 32 in the chain, and it was behind a tree so I took a chance. You can see the video of me catching it by clicking the link in my sig. I got the crazy idea of videoing captures, and ever since I've taped them all, even evolutions of the shinies I catch (and those particular videos have alot of views........ oh well.).
It has a neutral nature but has a 31 Speed IV.

The very next day... I had fun raising a test Pokemon for MegaMewtwo. I liked it so much, I just had to get a shiny one for my team, although I never knew how much it would mean to it.
I got 5 shiny Nincada the day after Thanksgiving. What a sale! :P
I also got a shiny Shedinja after that, if it counts. XD I tried getting it in a Luxury Ball, but it didn't work! good thing I saved beforehand. (Videos, again. Remember, from that point on, I video'd everything)

Now I started thinking about what my shiny team needed. A wall of sorts. So I look them up and find Bronzor.
December 2nd - 4th, I accumilated a total of 12 shiny Bronzors. :D

Then a day of fate came.
December 8th - 9th, I caught 8 shiny Magnemite. The one I decided to train had a neutral nature again, but it had a 31 IV in speed (AGAIN) and a 27 IV in Sp. Attack.

Then another day of fate came: Lickitung. I only got 5 of those shiny.
One has god-like IVs for a shiny using a defense nature, and I plan to raise that one as well. Ka-boom.

I don't count multiples, so in all I have so far 14 shinies, 15 if you count Shedinja. And I'm going to go after another one soon. I need to perfect my shiny team.
I also use all the techniques to my advantage, to at LEAST try and get the right nature.

My videos are high-quality, too, or so they say. :) My featured one is of the shiny sparkle grass that comes up when chaining.

:happybrain:

Nothing is worse than seeing a shiny Chansey in the Safari Zone...and then seeing it flee.

Although I do have a shiny Paras in a safari ball.

Also, shiny Dunsparce (run away instead of serene grace...bleh). You can only get so lucky, I guess.

These were all in FireRed, with about 150 hours of playtime.

Shinies are hardly anything special, and do you really expect us to tell you some amazing trick to get them?

Either trade for some or get over it.
No need to be rude....Yea ive easily played 1500 hours+ on pokemon games, and i havenot came across a shiny other than a stupid golbat which i released ne way.

I've been lucky enough to get a lot of shiny pokemon in my day, like the roaming Latias, but the only "good" one was my piss-yellow Azumarril. It's adamant, has Huge Power, and a 31 in attack, but every other stat is in the single digits.

I've had:

Gold: Shiny Tentacruel

Sapphire: Shiny Swablu and Zigzagoon.

As you can see, not that great a record.

I just caught a Shiny Shinx at Route 202 while EV Training my TTar, first one I've ever encountered outside of online battles (excluding the Red Gyarados).

Ive gotten a shiny Weedle in Gold version... thats it, I've actually had the Pokerus virus more then shiny pokemon, which is odd.

Red Gyarados aside, the first shiny I caught was Marill in Ruby. Then, when I started my LG game, I got a shiny Squirtle in my 3rd try, while reseting for a good nature. Still in LG, I caught a shiny Tentacool on my way to Atk Ev train vs Paras in Mt. Moon. The last I've caught, was a shiny Gloom in my Pearl game while leveling up.

Other than that, I remember seeing a shiny Ninetails in R/S Battle Tower.

I haven't bothered using the PokéRadar to find shinies yet, since I already waste enough time breeding as it is.

Hoo boy, pretty large post coming.

Apart from the obvious (GSC Gyarados) I've managed to find a few shinies in Silver and Crystal, although I did use the shiny Ditto glitch and bred a shiny Togepi from that. As far as I can remember, I got a Rattata, Raticate (a separate one, not the Rattata), Chinchou (funny story, I was just fishing for a normal one), Tangela and a second Togepi (without Ditto's involvement, was breeding Future Sight onto it for fun). My sister found a Zubat in her Gold.

My Advance luck wasn't as good. I found none on Sapphire or Emerald, apart from a shiny Tauros in the Battle Factory. On LeafGreen I found a Diglett (another funny story, I had just caught a Dugtrio and was on my way out of the cave, and only had one Great Ball.) and a Pidgey (I was EV training a Marill at the time.)

I also found a couple of shinies when playing my sister's Ruby. I had traded a Wobbuffet to Ruby so I could EV train it against Duskulls, and a shiny one showed up. The other one was when she was too lazy to leave Granite Cave and made me do it. On the way out, shiny Makuhita. Sadly, we somehow managed to lose both of those games. I also once got a shiny Blastoise... on a Battle CD :(

In DP, the only shinies me and my sisters have are ones from here, and a shiny Bidoof that a friend caught. This friend has since caught ANOTHER shiny Bidoof, and found a shiny Vulpix in his LeafGreen. None of us can chain very well, I once had a forty Pachirisu chain going, until a Pachirisu broke it. What the?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Funnily enough I've actually randomly found a shiny in every pokemon game i've owned (since GSC, that is)

Silver - I'm sure I found a shiny ratata. I think it was a light light Blue or something. Can't remember just now. Anyway I didn't catch it for some reason.

Saphire - I found a shiny Silcoon that was a cool purple colour in the forrest, but I forgot that using Uproar with my Wishmer locks me into that attack and I can't even throw pokeballs >.<

FireRed - My brother encountered a shiny Larvitar (of all things! It's hard to find freaking normal ones of those!), and I managed to catch it using my second last pokeball out of four and wittling it's health down with confuse ray on my lv 100 pack

Pearl - just the other day I wanted to see what Judgement looked like, so i went into the grass and out poped a Shiny Glameow!!! But the sad thing was, I used up my last pokeball catching Regigigas for my giveaway, so I couldn't catch it! ;_; Still, my IV bred pokes are worth more I guess...

In Fire Red unfortunatly before I knew about EV training and such I found 2

- Fire Red Found a Shiny Venemoth in the Safari Zone and said WTF IS THAT!? I had never heard of shinys before that and thought that Red Gyarados was a G/S/C special or something...I was young and naive anyhow I immidietly caught it and then went right to google

-
3 days later same game fishing well wadayaknow... wait is that horsea a different color? I better check to make sure caught it and low and behold shiny #2 (I didnt see the intro to the battle)

- #3 was not to long into Diamond I was just surfing minding my own buisness when I ran into a shiny tentacool so I captured it and that is my last to date

I have caught shiny Oddish (now nicknamed "Shiney" and either a Belossom or Vileplume) from Sapphire, and a shiny Ditto from Fire Red. Both are now in Pearl. I haven't bothered to check IVs. I also got a shiny Zubat (nicknamed "Schreech" -_-) from my friend, Rash nature. The annoying thing is that I've played Pokémon games for about 6 years, and the friend who traded my shiny Zubat also caught a shiny Golbat, and he has been playing Pokémon for about one year...

I own over 35 shiny Pokemon all caught ligitimatly in Diamond. Unless you are allergic to Serebii.net, this is an awesome guide.

You only need read the second quote on the first post.

Here are mine:

The first four were caught on Sapphire with a lot of time or luck. All others were by the Pokeradar. None are cloned. I also had another Bronzor, Absol, Shinx, Wurmple and Electrike but I gave them away. I have also encountered two other shiny Pokemon but failed to catch them by accident such as accidently using Teleport or tapping the 'Run' button.

Serebii Forums is always down. Always has been, always will be.

Funny, I've never had the Pokerus either.

I like this thread. Even though it makes me feel so inferior that I have no shinies, it's cool to see the kind of awesome stuff people have.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Funny, I've never had the Pokerus either.
I have the exact opposite experience. I got Pokerus 4 times already

1) Playing my now dead ruby version, and I noticed my tropius has it
2) Playing Emerald, and going into Mt. Pyre. I realized I got Pokerus on my Heracross
3) Playing my Pearl, contracted Pokerus from a wild Bidoof
4) Playing my Diamond. When I was busy SRing for Arceus, one of them has Pokerus. I resetted on it, though, since I already have Pokerus

I've gotten 4 shinies in my entire D/P game so far.

- Hardy Smeargle while looking for a smeargle for breeding

Then I got 3 hatched shinies:
- Bold Feebas which I tossed ==
- Calm Eevee
- Calm Spiritomb

1 shiny. Which was a shiny Aridios on Crystal. It was my friends game and I stopped playing for a while and gave it back, and one day I asked to play it and the game was deleted! The avatar I have now is a shiny Aridios Revamp from the Crystal version, just as memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)