Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

I have never attempted a nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game, but according to the Flying Press, Pokémon Emerald, Heart Gold and Soul Silver or Black and White Versions are moderately difficult to nuzlocke.
I have black 2, is it harder or significantly different? I might try emerald, and isn't heartgold like the Whitney region? thanks for the informations! (please excuse me, im reading an old british dickensian book, my grammar kinda turned off)

Generally the best first nuzlocke game is considered firered/leafgreen since it's very easy and short but honestly whatever game you want to play is the best. Even the harder games like BW2 are not difficult with proper planning. Also as far as Whitney goes, she is not difficult at all. You have a guaranteed heracross that can ohko clefairy and 2hko miltank (ohko if you get guts) and even without that, proper planning and usage of status and your whole team helps a lot. It's certainly rng heavy but clefairy is weak enough that it's essentialy 6v1

They're harder than most of the series, even if that's not particularly hard.
I'm just gonna go ahead and drop my list, but shortly: I do not agree outside of Emerald.

1711306189181.png

Weird Rules:

LGPE with its 50 Pokemon rule, how you deal with that matters. Legends Arceus how you count encounters or do objectives. Scarlet/Violet where are encounters, how do you randomize etc. Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl with if you allow overleveling, or the like.

Have not Nuzlocked Colo/Xd.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Legends Arceus how you count encounters or do objectives. Scarlet/Violet where are encounters, how do you randomize etc.
Is there really no community consensus ruleset for nuzlocking overworld encounter games yet? Considering that's most likely all we're getting from now on outside of maybe extra remakes I feel like it's about time that the scene collectively figured it out.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Is there really no community consensus ruleset for nuzlocking overworld encounter games yet? Considering that's most likely all we're getting from now on outside of maybe extra remakes I feel like it's about time that the scene collectively figured it out.
There is, at least for SV; online there is a tool that lets you randomise your encounter from the encounter list for the location. Before that, many people did it manually, with a RNG generator and the encounter pool. I think the tool takes into account rarity in the area too, though.

Otherwise, the “when you enter a new area close your eyes and run around” method was the standard, but it has the obvious flaw of your probable encounters being partly based on where in the area you enter from, or potentially running to a different area while your eyes are closed and not realising.

Hey, i've made a theoretical competitive PLA viability tierlist with some detailed descriptions for placements and was wondering if the in-game tierlists sub would be the right place to post it? I'm not too familiar with smogon, and not sure if it classifies as "casual" play. Would smogoff be a better place to post it at?
bump

There is, at least for SV; online there is a tool that lets you randomise your encounter from the encounter list for the location. Before that, many people did it manually, with a RNG generator and the encounter pool. I think the tool takes into account rarity in the area too, though.

Otherwise, the “when you enter a new area close your eyes and run around” method was the standard, but it has the obvious flaw of your probable encounters being partly based on where in the area you enter from, or potentially running to a different area while your eyes are closed and not realising.
I wasn't aware a standard had been set, apologies. I haven't really seen many SV Nuzlockes or seeked them out in a while.

Thanks for the information.

So something I'd like clarity on before I pursue it potentially. OI Rules say not to discuss Competitive Pokemon, but is that in the sense of overall focus or try to avoid it just in general?

Like if I wanted to bring in a topic such as "what do you think is the best Pokemon in terms of Gameplay?" The criteria would be intended to be up to the individual poster, which could overlap with comp talk if they value that. Would this go against that rule?

EX: Someone might answer "Flutter Mane because its set of traits prove very useful for both Single and Double battle styles, citing PvP and VGC as examples" or someone else could say "Alakazam, because it's both extremely strong and efficient for clearing in-game playthroughs and still can do well against other players who have smarter team building." These in addition to people who might hypothetically cite Gen 1 Nidoking or Gen 9 Flamigo strictly for their ability to clean up fast in-game specifically, or something like G2 Feraligatr because it can make good use of some HMs both in battle and filling in Field exploration, etc.

So something I'd like clarity on before I pursue it potentially. OI Rules say not to discuss Competitive Pokemon, but is that in the sense of overall focus or try to avoid it just in general?

Like if I wanted to bring in a topic such as "what do you think is the best Pokemon in terms of Gameplay?" The criteria would be intended to be up to the individual poster, which could overlap with comp talk if they value that. Would this go against that rule?

EX: Someone might answer "Flutter Mane because its set of traits prove very useful for both Single and Double battle styles, citing PvP and VGC as examples" or someone else could say "Alakazam, because it's both extremely strong and efficient for clearing in-game playthroughs and still can do well against other players who have smarter team building." These in addition to people who might hypothetically cite Gen 1 Nidoking or Gen 9 Flamigo strictly for their ability to clean up fast in-game specifically, or something like G2 Feraligatr because it can make good use of some HMs both in battle and filling in Field exploration, etc.
From what I've seen and cared about so far, it's not that you're forbidden from talking about competitive relevance of pokemon (be it Smogon or VGC related), rather, that is not the focus of this board.

If you're asking someone about a pokemon they like, and they like it because it's good competitively, nothing is wrong with it.

What would be against the forum rules would be starting a thread or derailing a discussion over competitive viability of something, es derailing the entire leaks thread every other page toward terastalization implications in smogon singles and how it should be banned instantly :wo:

A comment or reference or just explanation of competitive scenarios is fine. Derailing or focusing a thread over something is not.

From what I've seen and cared about so far, it's not that you're forbidden from talking about competitive relevance of pokemon (be it Smogon or VGC related), rather, that is not the focus of this board.

If you're asking someone about a pokemon they like, and they like it because it's good competitively, nothing is wrong with it.

What would be against the forum rules would be starting a thread or derailing a discussion over competitive viability of something, es derailing the entire leaks thread every other page toward terastalization implications in smogon singles and how it should be banned instantly :wo:
Considering the mods didn't step in at any point during any time this has happened I think the ruling is more just the entire thing cannot be about the competitive aspect of the game in the same way something like the OU is.
Going from that: There's nothing wrong with venturing into the competitive discussion side of things for an extended period otherwise, probably since there were still discussions in more general ways going on and there were other threads to cover more things, and ultimately it would be a brief side affair

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Just to clarify what the above have said from a mods point of view.

We have no issue with people highlighting something competitive about a mon (especially in our pre-release threads - we are the only real place to talk about any of that until proper data dumps arrive and sometimes afterwards) but when the topic is solely about a competitive aspect of a Pokemon that's when we start to look at it a bit more critically. Obviously this doesn't count towards discussion of Speed runs/Tier lists etc.

Your above example, I would have zero issue with, after all, it's why you like a mon in general. It's not like you're going to go into an in-depth summary of how Fluttermane works in VGC compared to Alakazam. You're just saying its a good choice and is powerful.

We are always going to allow discussion of the generational mechanics in our pre-release threads. Similarly with new Pokemon (especially if they have moves highlighted etc). The competitive implications are still interesting discussions, even if they are not our primary focus.

I'm playing Colosseum to get the 4 pinch berries that aren't available in Emerald. Since I only care about getting the berries in Emerald, I thought I'd just connect my Emerald cartridge to Colosseum, register my in-game team, and then use them to smash Mt. Battle a few times - that way, I didn't have to actually trade my Pokémon over from Emerald and then trade them back afterwards. It seemed to work well enough, as I got just under 15,000 Poké Coupons from one run of Mt. Battle. I went back and cleared Areas 1 and 2 again, then bought a Ganlon Berry using the Poké Coupons associated with my Emerald cartridge and sent it over to Emerald.

All good, except now I can't actually find the Ganlon Berry anywhere. It's not in my bag on Emerald or on Colosseum, there's no one upstairs in the Pokémon Center who has it, Norman doesn't have it, and I can't think of anywhere else it could be. The purchase definitely went through - it shows I have 100 Coupons when I connect my Emerald cartridge, down from 15,100 - so where's the berry gone?

EDIT: It turns out it got sent to my PC. In other news, I am an absolute tit.

Last edited:
I'm playing Colosseum to get the 4 pinch berries that aren't available in Emerald. Since I only care about getting the berries in Emerald, I thought I'd just connect my Emerald cartridge to Colosseum, register my in-game team, and then use them to smash Mt. Battle a few times - that way, I didn't have to actually trade my Pokémon over from Emerald and then trade them back afterwards. It seemed to work well enough, as I got just under 15,000 Poké Coupons from one run of Mt. Battle. I went back and cleared Areas 1 and 2 again, then bought a Ganlon Berry using the Poké Coupons associated with my Emerald cartridge and sent it over to Emerald.

All good, except now I can't actually find the Ganlon Berry anywhere. It's not in my bag on Emerald or on Colosseum, there's no one upstairs in the Pokémon Center who has it, Norman doesn't have it, and I can't think of anywhere else it could be. The purchase definitely went through - it shows I have 100 Coupons when I connect my Emerald cartridge, down from 15,100 - so where's the berry gone?

Why were you checking the in the Pokémon Center anyway?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Obviously because they weren't sure how it was given, so they were checking for a Mystery Gift deliveryman. Why wouldn't you check every available option if you weren't sure where something was?

I'm pretty sure I've done this before and yet I actually had no recollection that these items were sent to the PC, I thought they went straight to the bag! Looks like we've both learned something today.

Obviously because they weren't sure how it was given, so they were checking for a Mystery Gift deliveryman. Why wouldn't you check every available option if you weren't sure where something was?

I'm pretty sure I've done this before and yet I actually had no recollection that these items were sent to the PC, I thought they went straight to the bag! Looks like we've both learned something today.
Mystery Gifts are delivered in the Poké Mart in gens 3 and 4.

I'd previously injected some of the official event tickets into my Emerald save, and whenever I did, they'd be sent to a deliveryman on the second floor of any Pokémon Center (like in the video above), so I thought maybe the Ganlon Berry would end up there too. Honestly, I didn't expect that one to work - that deliveryman didn't exist in Ruby/Sapphire afaik, so how would Colosseum know to leave the item with him? - but it was the best idea I had at the time.

Anyway, I checked Colosseum's instruction booklet afterwards and it does mention that you need a free space in your PC's item storage, which implies that's where your prizes will be sent. I guess that's on me for not reading the manual, but still, it seems a bit unintuitive to me. Like, if I received an event Pokémon with an empty space in my party and it went straight to my PC regardless, that'd be weird, but that's basically what happened with the berry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)