ORAS FU Metagame Discussion (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter if it 2hkos everything when it takes 3 turns to do it, and is a complete liability after it kills something.

Slaking is absolutely terrible in PU, so I can't imagine it would be too great here either. I honestly think it's just about impossible for anything with Truant to possibly be good competitively, since it's just too big of a downside. On another note, I don't play this tier that much but Heatmor is pretty good in PU, and I can't see much of anything that can wall it here. (also i have no idea why arbok and relicanth rose, they aren't even good in PU @_@)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't matter if it 2hkos everything when it takes 3 turns to do it, and is a complete liability after it kills something.
Slaking is absolutely terrible in PU, so I can't imagine it would be too great here either. I honestly think it's just about impossible for anything with Truant to possibly be good competitively, since it's just too big of a downside. On another note, I don't play this tier that much but Heatmor is pretty good in PU, and I can't see much of anything that can wall it here. (also i have no idea why arbok and relicanth rose, they aren't even good in PU @_@)
I disagree, considering I legit can't think of a single thing that switches in without fear of an OHKO or at LEAST a 2HKO (and only the most physically defensive of Pokemon), especially given how easy it is to set hazards in this tier and how difficult they are to remove. I mean, we're talking about a tier where a sweep with Shedinja isn't unheard of. Slaking seems like an amazing anti-stall mon to me, since it just needs to predict correctly and something dies every time it comes in, which isn't difficult given its absolutely massive bulk. And who cares if you can only attack once? I mean you can just switch out after using any attack bar Giga Impact, and when you OHKO most thing,s I don't see how that's too big of an issue. I'm currently very hesitant to let this thing stay, but obviously the rest of the council has to decide too and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one besides Gary2346 who thinks this is broken atm.

Anyway with that aside, I don't see Heatmor as being good at all. It's frail and much slower than Simisear, while also not having access to Nasty Plot. Pretty sure I will continue using Simisear unless there's something major that it gets that Sear doesn't that I'm overlooking (I guess it gets Giga Drain but sear has Grass Knot anyway...). Gogoat will be insane, and Floatzel has some potential too considering it's the fastest mon in the tier. Aurorus will be powerful as fuck with Specs, and Kingler is one of my favorite Pokemon every so I'm definitely pumped to use that :]

I disagree, considering I legit can't think of a single thing that switches in without fear of an OHKO or at LEAST a 2HKO (and only the most physically defensive of Pokemon), especially given how easy it is to set hazards in this tier and how difficult they are to remove. I mean, we're talking about a tier where a sweep with Shedinja isn't unheard of. Slaking seems like an amazing anti-stall mon to me, since it just needs to predict correctly and something dies every time it comes in, which isn't difficult given its absolutely massive bulk. And who cares if you can only attack once? I mean you can just switch out after using any attack bar Giga Impact, and when you OHKO most thing,s I don't see how that's too big of an issue. I'm currently very hesitant to let this thing stay, but obviously the rest of the council has to decide too and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one besides Gary2346 who thinks this is broken atm.

Anyway with that aside, I don't see Heatmor as being good at all. It's frail and much slower than Simisear, while also not having access to Nasty Plot. Pretty sure I will continue using Simisear unless there's something major that it gets that Sear doesn't that I'm overlooking (I guess it gets Giga Drain but sear has Grass Knot anyway...). Gogoat will be insane, and Floatzel has some potential too considering it's the fastest mon in the tier. Aurorus will be powerful as fuck with Specs, and Kingler is one of my favorite Pokemon every so I'm definitely pumped to use that :]
Heatmor's advantage over Simisear is its mixed wallbreaking capabilities, which includes Sucker Punch. It's basically impossible to actually switch into. It is likely worse than Simisear against offense though. And while Slaking does OHKO or 2HKO the entire tier, the issue is that it afterwards it's completely free setup for just about anything, since even if you switch out it's still a completely free turn. It OHKOes almost everything in PU too, but it still isn't good because it just completely gives away any and all momentum and lets your opponent set up all over you.

It can still abuse Eject Button Yamask & Pursuit. Maybe this will be the tier where that strategy is viable. Something like Return / Pursuit / And two of Slack Off, Bulk Up, Shadow Claw, Drain Punch, Earthquake. Being one point slower than the monkeys is unfortunate though.

And that strategy hasn't stopped being ridiculously predictable and fairly easily stopped. I mean I'm still going to use it because it's funny as shit but let's not kid ourselves and pretend it will be viable.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fuck I'm both bummed and excited for the new drops and rises. There's a couple of things that have a potential to be broken as fuck, while many others could be a great addition to the tier.

Misdreavus is a pretty decent sized loss to be honest. Even with the prevalence of Krok it was still a bitch to face cause its bulky offensive support set with wisp and taunt was really annoying against HO because it could outspeed all the common leads and burn many physical attackers. Roselia was actually pretty subpar in this metagame simply because its defensive typing was so easy to take advantage of. Offensively its typing would have been great if it wasn't so damn slow and frail without Eviolite. It also faced stiff competition as a defensive Grass-type in general from Gourgeist-S and Quil, while offensively it was hard to use over Simisage. Victreebel won't be missed too much seeing as how Seviper functioned in a very similar way as an offensive wallbreaker, and now it's even better with the loss of Arbok and Gogoat dropping. Speaking of Arbok, I'm very sad to see it go. It was one of the best sweepers in the meta, seeing as how hardly anything wanted to take LO +1 accurate Gunk Shots, and with EQ it was hard to wall. To be honest, it was one of the only reasons why I even considered using Hippo, seeing as how it was a complete hard counter to it. I never really got a chance to use Driftblim and it kind of faced competition offensively from Misdreavus anyway, if only Flying Gem existed this gen lol. Relicanth was really cool but offensively Lairon is a good replacement. The loss of Sawsbuck would have been HUGE, if it weren't for the fact that yet another Grass-type god in the form of Gogoat dropped. Still, Sawsbuck was basically a staple on offense, so not having buck around it going to leave a huge impact on the tier. Losing Kricketune sucks I guess seeing as how now it's harder for webs to shutdown opposing leads and defensive teams, but Leavanny is still pretty good so I don't care.

Floatzel: Probably one of the best drops we got. It's strong for FU standards, and it also sits at an insane Speed tier, putting it ahead of even Swoobat and tying with Persian. Its movepool may not seem too plentiful offensively, as it only really has Water- and Ice moves, but it does have some really cool options such as a very fast Taunt much like Persian to fuck balanced teams, as well as Switcheroo to cripple defensive teams. It has Aqua Jet to pick off weakened sweepers and Scarf Krok, and I could see Bulk Up being used to clean up late game. It also has two really cool abilities as well; Swift Swim makes in insanely fast in the rain and almost impossible to revenge kill, while Water Veil allows it to switch into Scalds and Wisps without having to worry about getting burned. Defintely a really cool Pokemon that I guarantee will make a huge impact on the meta.

Leavanny: Well it's better than Ariados and Masquerain I guess. It has Knock Off and it's actually pretty damn fast, preventing common anti leads from Taunting it. It also has Magic Coat which can help against opposing Sticky Web teams and spike stackers. Lastly, with 103 Attack it has a decent offensive presence, so its Knock Offs and X-Scissors will be hitting decently hard. All in all, it seems like a solid Kricketune replacement.

Gogoat: Oh man this is probably going to be the best most dominating FU Pokemon for as long as it's around. Insane bulk, access to reliable recovery, and a great offensive presence makes this thing a terrifying beast of a Pokemon that can fit on multiple team archetypes. I can see it being very versatile with many different sets to choose from; physically or specially defensive, Sub Seed, 3 Attacks + Milk Drink, Sub Bulk Up, more offensive Bulk Up variants, etc. EQ and Rock Slide give it a lot of coverage as well, so it's not that easy to check. It checks so many fucking things in this tier it's not even funny; Simipour, Krok, Gabite, Whiscash, Electabuzz, Huntail, Simisage, Gigalith, Prinplup, Floatzel, Kingler, Lairon, etc. I look forward to abusing Gogoat very soon.

Heatmor: I honestly don't see why some people are hyping Heatmor up so much. I mean sure, it's powerful and has access to priority Sucker Punch and great mixed coverage, but unlike Simisear who basically carries the same moves minus Sucker Punch, it's slow as balls and lacks a boosting move. I mean don't get me wrong, I can see it being a monster on Sticky Web teams, but on most offensive teams, I'm going to stick with Simisear simply because it's so much faster, and trades a little bit of extra power for MUCH more Speed and Nasty Plot to muscle through bulkier teams.

Dusclops: Ewww gross. I honestly see it being good. It basically checks every physical attacker in the tier because it never dies in one hit, and unlike most defensive Pokemon in the tier even after its Eviolite is knocked off it's still ridiculously bulky. Who gives a fuck about a lack of offensive presence when Wisp + Seismic Toss alone completely shits on offense. I can see RestTalk sets being gross and disgusting tools for stall and balanced teams.

Kingler: Another really cool Water-type that I can see influencing the metagame greatly. Crabhammer coming off of 130 base Attack is disgusting, and it has interesting coverage options in the form of Knock Off and X-Scissor. SD sets will completely rip apart balanced teams while Agility cleans up offense really well. CB and Scarf sets may see a lot of usage too, particularly the former. Yet another insanely good physical wallbreaker to add to the list.

Slaking: Why does no one see the brokeness in Slaking? Okay I get it, Truant can potentially net the opponent a free turn of set up, but who cares when you basically OHKO something every time it comes in? Against offense, Slaking will at a minimum if played correctly, net about 2-3 kills per match. It's so fucking bulky that it can honestly even afford to stay in and do jack shit for a whole turn, eat up an attack, than OHKOs back. An Adamant Life Orb Huntail for example does a maximum of 85% with Waterfall at +2, and that's with zero HP investment with Slaking. Stall may not struggle that much against it seeing as how a ton of shit carries Protect and stuff like Gourgeist has Sub and Wisp, but offense and even balanced teams just straight up crumble. I don't know, I'll give it a chance, but I think you people are seriously underestimating how destructive slaking can be in a tier where it takes like 2-4 hits to take it down.

Aurorus: Very cool and interesting Pokemon that has a lot of potential. Now that Aurorus has Hyper Voice and Earth Power thanks to the ORAS tutors, I can see it pulling off an amazing Rock Polish or Choice Specs set. Thunderbolt is really cool too because it lets it hit bulky Water-types as well as Articuno for super effective damage.

That's just my two cents. Looking forward to building a lot of teams tomorrow with the new shit. Look out for updates soon.

Last edited:
I am more concerned if something can actually 2HKO Slaking.
I mean if Slaking were to prove being a threat, you can just slam Protect or Sub and abuse Truant, but Slaking has Slack Off potencially PP stalling you unless you run something like Simipour or the other monkeys that can boost their good attack higher.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well played a lot today with friends, and so far most of the shit I predicted in my post has been for the most part, accurate. Gogoat is definitely one of the best Pokemon in FU at the moment. Although it has the ability to run a plethora of sets, the Sub Bulk Up with Horn Leech and EQ is by far its best set atm, and many teams need to back multiple answers to it. Almost everyone I battled today was using LO Taunt Krow because it beats pretty much every Goat set, aside from the few that carry Rock Slide. I also wouldn't be too surprised if I started seeing an influx in CB Ninjask or Seviper, seeing as how they both have Infiltrator and destroy Goat with their STAB moves. Viper needs to watch out though because Jolly Goat with EQ can OHKO it. I expect to see a lot more Fearows and possibly Unfezants as well. Anyways, Goat basically fits on like every team because it checks a shit ton of the metagame and can sweep very easily once its checks are removed.

Floatzel and Kingler are also both really fucking good. Most Floatzels seems to be running Life Orb with varying movesets, but it doensn't really have the greatest offensive movepool in the world so most just run lots of fillers like Toxic, Return for opposing Water-types, Crunch for Metang, Jet for Scarf Krok, BP for scouting etc. Floatzel's Speed tier and great power just make it really for offense to deal with, however stall and some balanced teams don't really have any issue with it at all because stuff like Prinplup, Clops, and Quilladen don't give a fuck about it barring Toxic. The only Kingler sets I've seen so far have been Agility sets, but seeing as how offense is really hyped at the moment, it's not much of a surprise. A Life Orb Crabhammer just straight OHKOs everything, even Eviolite Electabuzz for example. It's an outstanding cleaner. If balance starts getting popular again, I gaurantee we'll start seeing SD and CB pop up.

Well so far Slaking seems pretty underwhelming, despite what I thought. There are just so many offensive sweepers in this meta that carry Substitute that they are able to work around it rather easily. Still, if you happen to get the right matchup, Slaking still wrecks. It's not the worst Pokemon ever like in other tiers, but it's not broken as far as I can see.

Aurorus is also really cool. Specs is powerful as hell but it's too slow and easy to take advantage of. Rock Polish is definitely the way to go, because with its great coverage and good bulk it can wreck offensive teams with ease. Earth Power was such a god send for it, so I actually don't expect it to stay FU for long because I can see it being great in tiers like PU and even NU. Might as well abuse it while it's here though.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Last edited:

Gary

I take back what I said about Heatmor, it's a really cool Pokemon. Although Simisear still gives it competition for a team slot, the sheer power and coverage that Heatmor packs warrants it a slot on a lot of offensive teams. It's also really useful because it's a hard check to one of the best Pokes in FU; Simisear itself. Giga Drain is also such a useful coverage move because it not only one shots Whiscash and heavily weakens a knocked off Prinplup while hitting Rock- and Ground-types, but it also gives it back health lost from Life Orb. Knock Off is of course an amazing move as usual, as shit like Machoke is KOed by Fire Blast after it has been knocked off previously. It's just really strong and is ironically the better choice if your team is weak to Simisear lol.

Dusclops is so dumb lmao. It can be worked around, but its bulk is so disgusting, and RestTalk sets with Night Shade and Wisp are really annoying for offense to handle. It's basically impossible to OHKO, and with Eviolite it's a killer mixed wall that can take on just about anything. Knock Off sucks for it though, because then it becomes a lot easier to beat on its uninvested side. However as long as you play with it carefully, it's an insanely good wall and fits very well on balanced teams that need a check to most physical attackers. Watch out for Machoke though. If you don't want to use Sleep Talk, Haze is actually a really cool move because it keeps Gogoat from setting up on it, which otherwise can because Night Shade doesn't break its Substitutes.

Dunsparce is still not a threat ;_; Waiting for the next tiers, because I want Dunsphaxx to definitely wreck teams

Anyway, Belly Drum ES Linoone can do things once again. And nice to see the three Simi-mon high in the threat list.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry we haven't posted in a while, but in case it wasn't clear, ALL POKEMON THAT GOT MEGAS IN ORASARE BANNED. That includes Beedril, Glalie, Lopunny, and Pidgeot. Have fun using the new move tutors though n_n I agree that Aurorus looks amazing. Hyper Voice Stealth Rock and Earth Power is great.

Gary

Sorry we haven't posted in a while, but in case it wasn't clear, ALL POKEMON THAT GOT MEGAS IN ORASARE BANNED. That includes Beedril, Glalie, Lopunny, and Pidgeot. Have fun using the new move tutors though n_n I agree that Aurorus looks amazing. Hyper Voice Stealth Rock and Earth Power is great.
It should be noted that the Pokemon themselves aren't banned, just their megastones. You can still use these Pokemon in FU, however I doubt they'll stick around for long anyway.

Any chance that Clamperl will be good? It hits 988 Special Attack (Yes, 988, just shy of 1000) after a Shell Smash, and 358 speed which is only beat by Scarfers and Swoobat, and it has pretty good coverage with Surf + Ice Beam + Hidden Power Grass/Electric. It OHKOs everything that doesn't resist and isn't nearly full specially defensive with Surf. Its coverage moves can handle most things that do resist Surf, such as Hidden Power Electric for Swanna or Slowpoke, or Ice Beam for Quilladin.

Gary

Any chance that Clamperl will be good? It hits 988 Special Attack (Yes, 988, just shy of 1000) after a Shell Smash, and 358 speed which is only beat by Scarfers and Swoobat, and it has pretty good coverage with Surf + Ice Beam + Hidden Power Grass/Electric. It OHKOs everything that doesn't resist and isn't nearly full specially defensive with Surf. Its coverage moves can handle most things that do resist Surf, such as Hidden Power Electric for Swanna or Slowpoke, or Ice Beam for Quilladin.
I'm not sure, because it's never been tested. Although the lack of Scarfers is one thing going for it, it's so fucking frail that I really doubt it'd ever get many chances to set up. It's pretty much in a similar situation as Linoone; very powerful after it sets up and few counters, but has very few opportunities to set up so it's not worth using most of the time.

Omg I have waited for a tier like that for a long time! I really believe Choice Specs Articuno is OP, in BW NU was such a beast... nothing can take its Hurricane

Gary

Omg I have waited for a tier like that for a long time! I really believe Choice Specs Articuno is OP, in BW NU was such a beast... nothing can take its Hurricane
Specs Articuno is actually very manageable because of things like Metang and Buzz being so popular. On top of that, it faces competition as a wallbreaker by Aurorus, which not only hits harder but also has better coverage in the form of Earth Power to hit them with. If you want to use Cuno, I would use the 3 attacks set with Roost or SubRoost, because otherwise you might as well use Aurorus, which isn't 4x weak to SR and has something to hit Steels with.

hi, i'll post all of the tier updates that involve FU here because I did it last time and because why not

Rises:
Beedrill (to UU)
Pidgeot (to RU)
Lopunny (to RU)
Glalie
Regice (doesn't really matter since it was banned but w/e)
Ditto
Floatzel
Carbink
Solrock
Dusclops

Drops:
Lumineon
Relicanth
Luxray
Rampardos
Drifblim
Arbok
Ursaring
Stoutland
Sawsbuck
Wartortle
Purugly
Mightyena
Rapidash

I think that's everything, most of these shifts made sense, have fun with the new mons! (also how is aurorus still FU lol)

Gary

This is literally the greatest tier update thus far. In exchange for Floatzel which was arguably a broken Pokemon, and Dusclops which was just disgusting anyway, we gained so many amazing Pokemon. Like to be honest, not one Pokemon on the list is bad. Lumineon may be kind of subpar but hey it gets Defog and has U-turn and is a great switch into Simipour. Luxray finally gives us another Electric-type to play with other than just Electabuzz, and on top of that it's physical too. Rampardos is a massive threat that will probably run a ton of sets, such as offensive SR, lead, Choiced, Rock Polish, and mixed. Stoutland is probably going to be broken because Hippo is actually a really solid defensive threat in the meta and it probably doesn't even need to run Smooth rock, because Stoutland itself is already a decent Pokemon even outside of Sand Rush lol, so it's just a perk. Ursaring is so fucking broken holy shit. Quick Feet SD may I say more? Definitely going to be keeping a close eye on it. Raticate is already disgusting enough. Wartortle is like Prinplup except it doesn't have to worry about being Taunted as well as giving something like Wigglytuff or the new Purugly a boost. Speaking of which, Purugly sounds really solid. It's basically a better Persian minus the Technician Fake Out and 3 less Speed. Defiant is such a great ability, and it's a fantastic check to Sticky Web teams as well as a solid option on Sticky Web as well. Mightyena and Rapidash are probably my favorite drops by far. FU only has two really good Fire-types in the form of Simisear and Heatmor, but both are strictly special. Rapidash is fast, checks Simisear and Heatmor very well thanks to Flash Fire, and has a great offensive movepool with moves such as Flare Blitz, Drill Run, and Wild Charge. There is also a lack of solid Dark-types, and Mightyena fills that gap quite nicely. A nice user of priority as well as a cleaner is amazing.

And then of course we have the return of Arbok, Relicanth, and Sawsbuck. Buck seems a lot more manageable this time around seeing as how we know have thing like Rapidash running around and Goat which keeps it from spamming Double Edge or Horn Leech mindlessly. Arbok was my favorite sweeper to use in FU, and with Gogoat being so annoying at the moment I can definitely see Arbok making a solid comeback. Relicanth was a really cool wallbreaker and tbh it's still probably the better option as a CB user even over Rampardos because while it's significantly less powerful, it can mindlessly spam the move without ever having to worry about recoil.

Anyways, I'm so pumped for this new tier now. The meta is going to change so much with these drops. With all this physical spam coming our way, I see Gigalith getting a LOT more usage tbh, which is cool cause I love that Pokemon.

Last edited:

Gary

Sorry for the double post, but it's an important message. If anyone is participating in the Slacker Tour as an FU player, then please read this post. Because the new drops will probably drastically change the meta, I don't want to force everyone to try and basically relearn the tier again in order to play the first round of a tour. On top of that, a few of these drops could potentially be VERY broken, so I don't want that to affect the quality of the tour matches.

If you're not participating in the tour, then this doesn't apply to you lol. Have fun with the drops!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)