ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks we have to wait a week but at least it seems like they are not limiting the number of codes like other countries. why wait til the day before the release in other countries to announce it though?
Probably wanted to update the site in one big burst

The demo Mega apparently isn't regional. It it is tied to which Lati you get at the beginning of the game. It's randomized so sometimes you'll get Latios and other times, Latias. Latios will get you Steelix's Mega stone and Latias will get you Glalie.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
ADVENTURE TOOLS - PokeNav Plus:
While the Japanese version replaced the PokeNav with the MultiNavi, the English version has instead decided to upgrade the PokeNav to the PokeNav Plus!

The PokeNav Plus will always be active on our bottom screen outside of battle & special events (cutscenes). It has four functions but they're all not available right away, we'll need to get our PokeNav Plus upgraded a few times (two of these functions are the DexNav and the BuzzNav).

Let's go through the features now:

DexNav:

Marking Progress:
I know I'm skipping ahead, but I think this should have been talked about first. Upon entering an area the DexNav will show a representation background for the area. As you encounter Pokemon in the area it'll have these Pokemon show up. If you merely encountered the Pokemon but didn't catch it it'll only appear as a silhouette, but if you did catch it it'll appear filled in. Once you caught all Pokemon found in the area, you'll get a mark indicating you did (similar to BW2's Habitat List).

Opinion: A nice feature to have, I liked filling out the Habitat List in BW2 and can't wait to fill out the DexNav in ORAS! Though the example pic confused me a bit. According to this Route 103 is completed once you catch a Zigzagonn, Poochyena, & Wingull in the grass and a Wingull while surfing. But according to Bulbapedia you can still encounter Tentacool and Pelipper while surfing AND a Tentacool, Magikarp, Wailmer, and Sharpedo while fishing. So did they decrease the amount of Pokemon you can meet in each area?

Hidden Pokemon:
Sometimes you'll see a part of a Pokemon sticking out of the grass or splashing out of the water. The DexNav will display a magnifying class icon which, when pressed, will tell you some info about the hidden Pokemon.

At first it'll tell you very little, it looks like only the level, but as you encounter more and more specimen of that species you'll increase our Search Level and more info will be revealed to you like its First Move, Ability, and Potential. Eventually you'll be able to find Pokemon with their Hidden Ability and even rare moves this way!

But in order to battle this Pokemon you'll need sneak up onto it. If you walk up to it it'll notice you and run away. In the game I'm sure they'll tell you what the "sneak" button is.

Opinion: Awesome! The DexNav essentially does what we wanted the Pokedex to always do: tell us about the Pokemon we're about to capture! I'm going to guess those rare moves will always be in its first move slot, otherwise it'll be useless to tell us that otherwise. Also I'm wondering what they mean by "Potential"? Also it's kind of disappointing they don't show us the Pokemon's Nature, but I guess they'll only want to tell us so much and I'm guessing once you're at that high of power every encounter with that Pokemon would result with a similar Pokemon. Also I wonder what they mean by "rare move"? Is it a move this Pokemon can't normally learn? An Egg move? A move it normally learns at a later level? Finally, I'm hoping that maybe this sneaking feature could be used to get around trainers...

Searching For A Pokemon:
Ever wanted to just look for one Pokemon? Well now you can with DexNav! Just tap the Pokemon you want to search for and if there's on in the area it'll pop out of the grass/water. Sneak up onto it and the rest is up to the battle!

Opinion: AWESOME! Not only will this help find a Pokemon you're looking for, but maybe you can also use it to EV train!

Registering Overworld Pokemon:
Remember those Pokemon you always see on the overworld Pokemon you haven't gotten yet? Ever wondered why you couldn't scan them and register them in your Pokedex? Well now you can! If you see a Pokemon in the overworld and have the DexNav active, it'll automatically register that Pokemon! You won't be told any info about that Pokemon except for its name, but it will tell you where you can find that Pokemon!

Opinion: This is more of a bonus feature, but still nice to have! The DexNav is more of a addon to the Pokedex rather then the PokeNav! I'm also going to guess any Pokemon registered this way will have their silhouette(if didn't catch one)/icon (if caught one) automatically added to that area.

Overall this is all awesome, it makes collecting really fun! :D

AreaNav:

At first when I saw AreaNav I mistook it for a simple map. I WAS WRONG. And here's how wrong I am:

1. Map

Well, I wasn't wrong about that, but it was rather obvious. Anyway, it's pretty much the town map, BUT it has the added bonus of, if you have a Pokemon with Fly, you can just pick an a place and fly there without having to go into your party and select that Pokemon (and if you have multiple Pokemon with Fly I'm guessing it has the first one in slot order that knows it use it)!

2. Pokemon

Click on a location and if it has any wild Pokemon it'll tell you all the wild Pokemon there. You can also just check area by Pokemon distribution!

3. Trainer's Eye

While not as good as Match Call, Trainer's Eye lets you check trainers you've battled in previous locations and will alert you when they're ready for you to battle them again!

4. Secret Bases

Tells you the location of other people's Secret Bases you've found!

5. Berries:

Berry patches confirmed! And the AreaNav can be used to know where you planted all your Berries and how far they've grown!

I don't know what to say, they've really fleshed out what I thought was just going to be a simple map! And hopefully if there's a roaming Pokemon it'll hep us track it too...

BazzNav:

The feature I'm probably going to use least. While it sounds like fun, it's pretty much just the TVs you find in people's houses but with StreetPass capabilities. If you StreetPass with enough people you'll special news. And that's all I really got to say about that.

PlayNav

It's the Holo Caster from XY. It has the Player Search System, Pokemon-Amie, and Super Training. Only thing to note here is that the Super Training Pokemon balloons have changed to look like native Hoenn Pokemon:

The PokeNav Plus is just as they say it is, an upgraded version of the PokeNav! Can't wait to use it!

*sigh* Once again, post got too big so I'm going to make yet ANOTHER post. I promise this time to wrap things up... and then going back to comment and like posts...

please notice

generic diving model for Pokemon other than Wailmer (and maybe Lapras) I know there were some concerns earlier, but...there ya go

I'm actually excited to see your gear behaving more like it does within the anime. You've always been able to communicate and gather pokedex info in ways that don't involve obtaining the Pokemon itself, and this type of interaction will really be beneficial for new players to learn about the species variety. The function of finding Pokemon with hidden abilities is sweet, but that makes it sound like they did away with the Friend Safari for these games...and the safari in general, now that you can both do random encounters and hunt specific 'mons. Need confirmation.

Also, they created butts sticking out of the grass for a ton of Pokemon, just for the sake of the dexnav. Why does this feel like resources well spent?!

(It would also appear that they modified some of the models' positions in Amie)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
FINISHING THIS NOW!

DEMO:
Finally, they announce the US demo distribution! It'll be done via the Pokemon Trainer Club newsletter. To get it just create a Trainer Account on the main Pokemon website (if you haven't already), opt to receive merchandise news, and sometime this month you should get a newsletter that'll contain your serial code! For more info just go HERE.

During the demo you'll get to use your Starter's final evolved form and it'll have its "Ultimate Move" (the elemental Hyper Beam clones) and their Mega Stone so they can Mega Evolve! Try out all the starters and see which one you want to use!

Well they have a nice range of moves. I'm planning to go with Sceptile but I may give Swampert a chance to prove itself to me (sorry Blaziken, already have Blazikenite and in my original Sapphire I used you, think it's time I try something new other than the Fire Starter).

VIDEO:

Only thing I want to say about the video is that it noted that what Legendary Pokemon you'll encounter at the Mirage Spots is version dependent. I'm going to guess that for Omega Ruby it'll be Ho-oh, Dialga, & Zekrom (first version mascots) while for Alpha Sapphire it'll be Lugia, Palkia, & Reshiram (the second version mascots). Of course who knows what they'll do with the other Legendaries (if they have them).

And now it's over to Serebii who has even MORE news:

Mega Steelix & Mega Glalie
Don't really know what to think about this. I'm actually going to wait until I get my version of the demo before I make any decisions. By that time more pictures and info will be out and I'll have first hand experience using/battling them.

No Customization:
NOOO! WHY?! Why show us all cool stuff and then take other cool stuff away? TT_TT
I hope this isn't the end of customization, maybe since this is a remake they don't have to go too far away from the "original feel" of the playable characters. From XY and gens on they'll keep doing customization as the characters will be made in mind that they'll be customizable.

No XY Patch:
So how is XY and ORAS compatible then? Is it a Gen I and Gen II thing where we can only trade? Will ORAS players be given battle restrictions?
I can sort of see why there isn't going to be a patch since they probably didn't plan for ORAS when making XY... but for future generations I do think they should plan for this sort of thing.

Is that it? I think that's it. PHEW! Let me go back and comment/like posts.

Okay guys, Serious Question Time: With the ORAS League and X/Y League being 2 seperate entities now, as well as the new Megas and Primals not being in XY, what will happen to the Tier Lists and Showdown? Will we be having 2 separate battle formats? Howwill this affect the rules of teiring? Will they have to be tiers for both XY and ORAS?

The demo Mega apparently isn't regional. It it is tied to which Lati you get at the beginning of the game. It's randomized so sometimes you'll get Latios and other times, Latias. Latios will get you Steelix's Mega stone and Latias will get you Glalie.
source? would that mean you get a lati in the demo?

Tory

Banned deucer.
Okay guys, Serious Question Time: With the ORAS League and X/Y League being 2 seperate entities now, as well as the new Megas and Primals not being in XY, what will happen to the Tier Lists and Showdown? Will we be having 2 separate battle formats? Howwill this affect the rules of teiring? Will they have to be tiers for both XY and ORAS?
To be honest, I believe on Showdown, they will just merge the OR/AS to X/Y.

Interview at USGamer confirms that Trainer Customisation is not in this game.
What the fuck...

While the lack of customisation is kinda disappointing, the lack of an update patch just seems very inconvenient and strange in 2014. So the two games are compatible without a patch for the new megas? Does that mean we'll have a situation on our hands like the time machine in gen 2?

VIDEO:
Only thing I want to say about the video is that it noted that what Legendary Pokemon you'll encounter at the Mirage Spots is version dependent. I'm going to guess that for Omega Ruby it'll be Ho-oh, Dialga, & Zekrom (first version mascots) while for Alpha Sapphire it'll be Lugia, Palkia, & Reshiram (the second version mascots). Of course who knows what they'll do with the other Legendaries (if they have them).
But it is already confirmed by the official Pokemon twitter that all legendaries are able to be caught between X/Y and ORAS.
https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/522060551501791232

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Quoting serebii:
"It has also been confirmed in an interview with NTower that, although X & Y are compatible with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, X & Y will not receive a patch to include the new."

So no patch after all.
No comment.

I guess that's the most polite way I have of putting it. I have to restrain myself quite heavily from putting a smug smiley somewhere, though.

I can imagine Mega Glalie becoming extremely dangerous in every format where Moody is allowed like VGC with Sub/Protect/Explosion/Return. First you stall a few turns grabbing Moody boosts, then you sweep with Return or go boom with an unresisted Ice-type Explosion. It's such a shame that we won't be able to witness its full potential on simulators...

MegaGlalie is Pure-Ice? Wow.
Is that bad? Even if it had a secondary STAB, Refrigerate-boosted Returns/Double-Edges/Explosions are the reason it's going to be used.
And if it gets Extremespeed as an egg move from Togekiss in ORAS...
This is one of the very few cases where pure-Ice type is not bad at all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
On a request, I've hidden all my comments (and in the future if I have a large post it'll also be hidden):

Talking of said demo, it says you have to play it every day for the 'something special' to happen, right? Every day until... when? ORAS' release?
I have a feeling it's just for a set number of days. Everyone will be getting the code and redeeming it at different times.

I checked my Trainer Club account, and I didn't specifically have "opt in" activated, but I still received the newsletters for August and September. As long as you have an account (either from VGC or Global Link), you should be good to go.

It seems like they always send out the letter near the end of the third week of the month. This means we should get the codes between Wednesday and Friday this week.
Odd, I had a Trainer Account and opted in for updates yet I never got a newsletter. I hadn't logged into my Trainer Account until today and it said it was varying my authentication , so I'm guessing the reason I didn't get newsletter is because I hadn't logged in after they updated the site? I hope that's the issue. I tested to see if it was sending things to my email by asking for a username request be sent to my email and it worked so hopefully there will be no problem of me getting my newsletter.

I really hoped they weren't gonna do a Mega Glalie. Better have something to save it from being the most mediocre thing ever
Well aside from HP, if they put 20 in each stat it'll have the same BST as the Mew expies. Then again Refrigerate give it Ice-type Headbutt, Return, and Explosion so maybe it should focus on Physical.

And I hoped we would have M- Froglass :(
Well if Mega Gallade is anything to go by, give it time. Maybe in XY2 along with Mega Slowking.

from the pokemon us website:
so the us gets to wait an extra week for the demo?
just when I thought maybe SOMETHING about these games wasn't going to be spoiled...
Yeah, it's kind of odd they waited this long. Being GameFreak went international with their games shouldn't the demo also be internationally released?

A lot of Gen 5's Dream World 'exclusive moves' were either obtainable by Breeding or Gen 4 Tutoring. So there's precedent for special moves not... being that special, especially considering how many pokémon we should be getting through this.

Also, the argument for Mega Latios and Mega Latias being the exact same is that they're supposed to return to a point where they were perfect Aeons, right?
according to the website...
mega latios is 7'07'' and 154.3 lbs.
mega latias is 5'11'' and 114.6 lbs.

/me flips everything
Baby steps. Looking alike is just the first step, but even then their eyes are still different, have different stats, and are different size and weight. You know, maybe what they need is a fusion...

Odd way of doing things, but still cool. So are these the Megas we're getting from the demo? Wait... does that mean we can only get one or would there be a way to get both?

But it is already confirmed by the official Pokemon twitter that all legendaries are able to be caught between X/Y and ORAS.
https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/522060551501791232
Okay then! Curious to see what Version exclusivity they'll do.

No patch is seriously disappointing. I hope GameFreak reconsiders... How are you going to make a ton of new Mega Evolutions and then have the very games that introduced the mechanic not be able to recognize them?

Swampert: Swift swim, 150-110-95-110-70 (+40/+20/+10/+20/+10)
Sceptile: Lightningrod, 110-75-145-85-145 (+25/+10/+40/+0/+25)

The Mega Starters are in the demo too.
Swampert is back to boss status. Even outside of weather, one weakness and 100/110/110 bulk, and 150 Attack? Outside of Rain this is going to be a beast. Gonna make a non-Rain bulky Tank set and watch as everything struggles to take it down. Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice Punch/PuP anyone?

Sceptile is going to be great too. SD+3 Attacks, mixed, pure Special... That's three very good theoretical sets. Energy Ball/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast/HP Rock could be good (HP Rock for hitting those Talon and Pinsir switch-ins). Leaf Blade/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/SD could also be very strong, or even Leaf Blade/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/(Drain Punch/PuP).

I'm really psyched right now.

I am...surprisingly ok with the lack of a patch. It's odd. I have over six hundred hours on a game that will be all but obsolete in a few months, and I can't really bring myself to care...

It might have something to do with the euphoria from the graphics and mechanics that seem to outdo XY, and absolutely shoot RSE out of the water...

I'm happy.

Swampert is back to boss status. Even outside of weather, one weakness and 100/110/110 bulk, and 150 Attack? Outside of Rain this is going to be a beast. Gonna make a non-Rain bulky Tank set and watch as everything struggles to take it down. Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice Punch/PuP anyone?
You can also go Cro with Waterfall/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk. May not burn but it has much more offensive presence than Suicune

Yeah, GameFreak doesn't seem to know if they want to get their Gym Leader involved in the story/side things (which they should) or just be bosses who stand around in their Gym all day. It's another thing that annoyed me in XY, only really Korrina was seen doing anything that didn't involve her being a boss (the only one who "helped" was Olympia by reading ahead in the script peering into the future and vaguely tell you things are about to go down). And this is coming off Gen V which tried doing something with their Gym Leader.

Hopefully in addition to expanding upon Team Aqua & Magma the also expand on the Gym Leaders, maybe even let us see them outside the Gym doing things (like maybe have them compete in Pokemon Contests). They'll also probably add a Fighting Dojo/Battleground place somewhere so that they're more easier to go and re-battle.

Oh, and also the same for the Elite Four, even in BW they pretty much did nothing (except for Marshal, but he only got a slightly extended role in BW2. Actually I kind of feel bad for him, he's Alder's apprentice yet who's the next person to become the titled Champion? A little girl). Nice to see them involved too.
In Black and White, Marshal says that Alder explicitly forbade the Elite Four from doing anything. It seems Alder wanted to solve things himself, and not involve anybody else.

That makes them seem weaker. Gym leaders are supposed to be strong. The champion can't be in 8 places at once. The "meh I won't do anything cuz I'm sure the champ can do everything" attitude just makes the gym leaders seem even more useless. Having trust and respect is one thing, but that attitude is just sheer laziness and kinda subverts my image of what a gym leader should be
In Black and White, the Gym Leaders save the player from the Sages at N's Castle... that's something.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I'm more comfortable with no customization than I am with it. These are remakes, and Brendan and May are practically classic protagonists at this point, especially given they are almost 11 years old now. That said, customization made sense in XY because they were new characters with reasonable fashion sense but XY was an experiment with a LOT of new things. While customization was a favorable experiment, it wouldn't make sense to apply it to characters that are known for their appearance. Their wardrobes changed slightly from RSE -> ORAS, but the characters are recognizable nonetheless. I don't wanna see Brendan in a white polo anytime soon. :(

You can also go Cro with Waterfall/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk. May not burn but it has much more offensive presence than Suicune
The possibilities! Now that I think about it Mega-Swampert can actually be versatile out of rain, You all said until now CrocunPert, bulky out of rain...I think it could even be full defensive it has that bulk that's better than Slowbro which is something decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)