Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
boltsandbombers, add Klinklang checks please :].

Also some other things
  • Lampent in fire type checks since it walls pyroar and flareon.
  • Miltank in stealth rock users.
  • Avalugg to normal type checks.
  • Mothim™ to wallbreakers.
  • Move uxie out of defensive malamar checks, since only offensive uxie runs signal beam.
1. You dont need to tag me, its my own thread.
2. I get that its one of the best pokemon atm, but I'm not sold on adding Klinklang checks since they're fairly obvious but if enough people agree I dont mind doing it.
3. I'm not adding mothim, because I said I'm only putting mons in from C and above. Also just because other people do it doesnt mean that putting "™" on random stuff makes it funny.
Added the others.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
got a couple things for you bolts :)

Pinsir/Scyther should be added to priority. Pinsir's Moxie SD set relies on QA to make sure it isn't revenged and Scyther's Band set uses Technician QA for similar revenging (at the very least, it's stronger than Swellow's QA which you have listed).

fwiw Ursaring's Quick Feet set can run SD effectively. Guts can too but that's overkill and only for REAL MEN.

VANILLUXE FOR WALLBREAKERS

Flareon/Mawile also for wallbreakers.

If we ARE going to put Avalugg up for spots, it needs to be in Defensive Hazard Control (though I think Avalugg should drop below C so I'm of the opinion this is wasted effort). Similarly, though this is a nitpick, I don't see why Claydol isn't listed as a Defensive Hazard Control mon either. I understand that the physically defensive set is ragged on a lot, but it's the only spinner in the tier that acts as a backup Fighting check so it is plenty viable.

I would agree to adding a Klinklang section if it saw the rises currently being discussed in VR. Gurdurr/Rotom/Poliwrath are sure fire offensive checks and Garbordor/Torterra/Quagsire/Prinplup/Tangela/Vileplume/Weezing/Pelipper/Miltank are guaranteed defensive checks. There are a ton of shaky offensive checks idc about.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Water-type checks:
Offensive:

Defensive:

just for you bolts: http://pastebin.com/87zhW8am

Water checks are a big thing I see people leaving out on their teams (Sir Kay 9) so I threw together a list because they are essential for every team nowadays with the popularity of Lanturn, Poliwrath, and others. I left out Raichu for offensive checks because I hate it, but bolts can add it if he likes it idc.

also bolts (I'm being very demanding today) please group all the type checks together so it looks nice and neat. I, personally, don't like how the list has no structure and it's just one category after another slapped on. thanks bby sry I'm mean <3 <3 <3

edit: thx babe looks great

Last edited:
Just a few things to consider :)

Water-type checks:
Gogoat (?)
Gourgiest Small/XL
Exeggutor (?)
Jumpluff (?)
I'd consider adding Cryogonal to offensive water type checks too

Hazard Control/Psychic Checks:
Vullaby
Losing togetic sucks but Vullaby does a pretty good job since we seem to be lacking viable defoggers and makes for a nice check to psychics/ not being weak to bug coverage and being surprisingly bulky with recovery too.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I think you should add Nasty Plot Cacturne to set up sweepers. While it isnt very good, it's usable at least and should be there.
EDIT: Screw Cacturne, Nasty Plot Shiftry is here!

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi
I've made a bunch of changes to the OP of this thread and modeled it after other role compendium threads in RU and LC, and removed the first 4 posts as those threatlist entires were really outdated and from what I understood the role compendium aspect in the OP was much more helpful to newer users. Updated with the new drops and rises as well.

Hey Bolts, I have a suggestion... Maybe add Magmortar to offensive Fire-Type checks, it completely walls out special dichick and the lion.

Calcs

252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 71-86 (22.3 - 27.1%) -- 37.4% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 118-140 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Combusken Fire Blast vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 61-73 (19.2 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Combusken Focus Blast vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 133-157 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

And of course Magmortar obliterates those two

4 Atk Magmortar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Combusken: 210-248 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Magmortar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pyroar: 180-214 (57.5 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pyroar: 392-462 (125.2 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT" I'd also put Magmortar in Sun Abusers

Last edited:
May I suggest putting Chatot under NP Sweepers?
Chatot to me is more like a disrupter / wallbreaker. Its Sub + Encore + Confusion shenanigans and destructively powerful combination of NP + Boomburst rarely directly sweeps opponents as its speed tier, bulk, and coverage are all subpar, but its just really a great pokemon for punching very intentional wholes into the opponents defenses.

E-vire in water checks? It checks all the bulky waters in the tier with wild charge+volt switch+earthquake, it struggles against stuff like simipour and floatzel but that's why it's just a check

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Thick Fat Pilo for Fire check potentially?
252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Not really. And that's AV Magmortar, every other Fire-type (or even LO Mag), with the exception of lol scarf pyroar, hits even harder.

Also, I think we can add Mesprit as a defensive check to Archeops and Fight-types (the max hp max def one) and defensive SR setter, Pelipper as U-Turner and maybe Golurk (RP) and Quagsire (Curse) as Other sweepers.

Pinsir should be added to Psychic-type checks.

Leavanny checks Malamar, Psychic- as well as Water-types. Fighting-types too, but it should never be your only Fighting check.
It counters Sun if you're looking for that, too.

Huntail is a Baton Pass user in conjunction with Coil, which it can also use as a Set-up Sweeper. It's there in the Shell Smash category but not in the "other".

252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Not really. And that's AV Magmortar, every other Fire-type (or even LO Mag), with the exception of lol scarf pyroar, hits even harder.

Also, I think we can add Mesprit as a defensive check to Archeops and Fight-types (the max hp max def one) and defensive SR setter, Pelipper as U-Turner and maybe Golurk (RP) and Quagsire (Curse) as Other sweepers.
i took into account some sort of trashy sdef variant, but w/e.

Also Curse quagsire is really bad with the prominence of grass coverage with mons trying to hit rhydon. Thing like a xatu could come in a bop you with a giga. But that's a narrow-minded opinion and idk what others will think.

A late game cleaner Section might be nice, although it might just be the boosting sweepers. This might include pokemon such as hitmonchan and kanga with strong priority, or pokemon such as Klinklang or Malamar who have weakened checks.

If Shiftry is a wallbreaker, i definitely think SD Turne should be considered one.

Throh for Bulk Up sweepers, the BU Set is pretty tanky and dishes out hard hits with storm throw+knock off, and benefits from being statused with Guts. Can also heal with resto chesto

Pinsir should be added to Psychic-type checks.

Leavanny checks Malamar, Psychic- as well as Water-types. Fighting-types too, but it should never be your only Fighting check.
It counters Sun if you're looking for that, too.

Huntail is a Baton Pass user in conjunction with Coil, which it can also use as a Set-up Sweeper. It's there in the Shell Smash category but not in the "other".
Leavanny doesn't efficiently counter sun, if at all. Just because it runs sash and has chlorophyll(does it?) doesn't qualify it as a sun counter, maybe a sun abuser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)