Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Mega Garchomp under SD users
  • Quagsire under Mega Metagross checks
  • Gyarados under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Gardevoir under Mega Sableye checks
  • Ferrothorn under Landorus-T checks
  • Rhyperior under Dragon-type checks (best counter to Zard X)
  • Toxicroak under priority
  • Toxicroak under Keldeo checks
  • Pangoro under wallbreakers
  • Zygarde under Other Set Up (Coil)
  • Salamence under Choice Scarf users
  • Salamence under Dragon Dance
  • Dragonite under Keldeo checks
  • Latias-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Sceptile-Mega under Keldeo checks
  • Mega Glalie under wallbreakers
Salamence is completely outclassed as a dragon dancer, and many mega Metagross run grass knot, so quagsire is a shaky check at best.
My suggestions
- Hydreigon to wall breakers and choice scarfers
- Haxorus to Dragon dancers and stall breakers
- Celebi to nasty plot
- Remove cloyeter. It's unviable.
- Add mega Loppuny checks section
- Add weather inducers section
- add cleric section
- add diglet to trappers (lol jk)
A few of my suggestions, good luck with this project.

Salamence is completely outclassed as a dragon dancer, and many mega Metagross run grass knot, so quagsire is a shaky check at best.
My suggestions
- Hydreigon to wall breakers and choice scarfers
- Haxorus to Dragon dancers and stall breakers
- Celebi to nasty plot
- Remove cloyeter. It's unviable.
- Add mega Loppuny checks section
- Add weather inducers section
- add cleric section
- add diglet to trappers (lol jk)
A few of my suggestions, good luck with this project.
Umm well if Hippowdon is counted as a check, then I think quagsire is a check too. Salamence does have a niche as a dragon dancer as once it gets going, it's really hard to stop it due to Moxie. However, I'm fine if it's not added.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wolfenstein
  • I think Bisharp should be removed from SR users, as it never really runs it. Also add Seismitoad.
  • Add Salamence, Celebi, and Chandelure to Scarfers. Gardevoir is a passable one too, but it hasn't be added to the Viability Ranking yet.
  • Add an Assault Vest section with Raikou, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Azumarill (is this one still viable?), Tornadus-T, and Goodra.
  • Add Mega Metagross to Trappers since it can run Pursuit for the Latis.
  • Add normal Sableye, Mega Metagross, Terrakion, and Mega Glalie to priority.

• metagross should be added to trappers as pursuit is is decently used to trap things like keldeo. it should also be part of priority because of bp.
  • mega altaria can be considered a wallbreaker with it's special set.
  • possibly add (spinblockers and defog blockers) and (wishpassers and healing wishers?) to create sections.
that's all i have for now but i will edit this post to find more things i'm on my phone rn.

• Klefki to Defensive Pivots since it setup screens
  • Azelf to Defensive Pivots since it also set up screens
  • NastyPass Togekiss to Baton Passers
  • I think that there should be a Screen Users section where Klefki, Azelf and Espeon should be added

Karxrida

• Klefki to Defensive Pivots since it setup screens
  • Azelf to Defensive Pivots since it also set up screens
  • NastyPass Togekiss to Baton Passers
  • I think that there should be a Screen Users section where Klefki, Azelf and Espeon should be added
Azelf isn't a defensive pivot because it's frail, while Espeon is outclassed as a Screener and doesn't even deserve a mention.

What about Serperior? It's main way of setting up is through Contrary Leaf Storm, though this doesn't really classify as Nasty Plot. I guess it could go under other set up though.

Since the OP says there's more room for some other non-traditional roles that he can put, I'd like to suggest putting a section dedicated to Setup Stoppers.

Basically, it's the reverse of Setup Sweepers, and the role is important on almost any team, from offense to stall.

Subsections can include something like this:

Phazers:
Skarmory, Heatran, Hippowdon, Garchomp, etc.

Unaware:
Clefable, Quagsire

Hazers:
Quagsire, Tentacruel, Altaria, Amoonguss

Perish Song:
Celebi, Altaria, Politoed

Thundurus, Klefki, Sableye

Something like that. Some of the roles could overlap later on if you decide to condense it (like the Status section), but it's kind of cool to have this. Idk, maybe you don't have to label it setup stoppers and just have say, phazers by themselves. Just an idea.

I have another list of stuff:

• Add Hippowdon, Mew, and Cresselia to Mega Lopunny checks
• Add Bronzong to Stealth Rock Users and Mega Metagross checks even though its a counter IMO
• Add Exploud, Kingdra, and Omastar to Wallbreakers
• Mega Ampharos can be a defensive pivot so that should be added there
• Add Amoonguss to Defensive Pivots and Keldeo checks
• This is optional, but a Gengar checks section would be nice to have, since a good chunck of teams are weak to/threatened by it, most notably balance and defensive playstyles, a Lando-I checks section is good to have but is optional as well.
• Add an anti-lead section, or just change 'Suicide Lead' to just lead with anti-lead slashed on it or something
• Add Mega Lopunny to Priority and Wall breakers (SubPuP or PuPEncore)
• Add Infernape to Priority (leads usually have Endeavor+Vacuum Wave)
• Add SubBDSalac Chesnaught and Serperior to Other Set Up
• Add Emboar to Wallbreaker and Priority once it gets added to D-Rank on the viability thread (if that even happens)
• Add Gorebyss and Mega Lopunny (SubPass) to baton pass

That's all from me for now.

I nominate like I said M-Altaria for Lopunny's CHECK (not a counter) :

He can live Return from Lopunny (Ice punch do less damage) even if he is offensive :
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 160-189 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
DDD set :
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Mega Altaria: 129-153 (36.5 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (so in DDD set , he can even be a counter)

Offensive calc (even with no investment , Altaria can kill Lopunny very easily) :
0 Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 326-386 (120.2 - 142.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 444-524 (163.8 - 193.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 296-350 (109.2 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 386-456 (142.4 - 168.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 284-336 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Add Trick Room Setter & Trick Room Abuser sections. Despite the decrease in usage from BW OU, as well as the unfavorable-to-TR meta game shifts that XY & ORAS brought along, it's still quite the viable anti-metagame play style this gen.

Trick Room Setters would include:
-Bronzong
-Aromatisse (?)
-Mesprit
-Whimsicott
-Slowbro
-Mega Slowbro
-Slowking
-Cofagrigus
-Smeargle
-Cresselia

Trick Room Abusers would include:
-Dragalge
-Bisharp
-Azumarill
-Amoonguss
-Breloom
-Druddigon(?)
-Rhyperior
-Heatran
-Tyranitar
-Conkeldurr
-Mega Ampharos
-Mega Abomasnow
-Mega Slowbro
-Mega Camerupt
-Mega Sableye (?)

Probably more but can't think of them at the moment.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Tentacruel listed as a check to Keldeo? SubCM Keldeo actually does beat Tentacruel unless you run something like Giga Drain.
0 SpA Tentacruel Acid Spray vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 40-48 (12.3 - 14.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever <-- doesn't even break sub

You can't expect Tentacruel to beat all sets of Keldeo. It's a good check to scarf and specs sets.

A few things:
Put Talonflame under Mega Sableye checks. Also, I don't think Ferrothorn should be under rain abusers, since apart from taking a bit less damage from fire type moves, rain doesn't really help it really. If you're going to put ferro under rain abusers, might as well put mega scizor, skarmory, bisharp, mega metagross etc.

Also, mega diancie shouldn't be under sand abusers. It gets a minor boost to it's special defense, but that's pretty much it. If you're going to put it there, might as well put terrakion there as well.

tl;dr, I'd probably only classify weather abusers as pokemon with abilities like swift swim, chlorophyll, sand rush, sand force, or pokemon that can take advantage of the weather like specs keldeo in rain, band victini in sun, etc.

Last edited:
Add Trick Room Setter & Trick Room Abuser sections. Despite the decrease in usage from BW OU, as well as the unfavorable-to-TR meta game shifts that XY & ORAS brought along, it's still quite the viable anti-metagame play style this gen.

Trick Room Setters would include:
-Bronzong
-Aromatisse (?)
-Mesprit
-Whimsicott
-Slowbro
-Mega Slowbro
-Slowking
-Cofagrigus
-Smeargle
-Cresselia

Trick Room Abusers would include:
-Dragalge
-Bisharp
-Azumarill
-Amoonguss
-Breloom
-Druddigon(?)
-Rhyperior
-Heatran
-Tyranitar
-Conkeldurr
-Mega Ampharos
-Mega Abomasnow
-Mega Slowbro
-Mega Camerupt
-Mega Sableye (?)

Probably more but can't think of them at the moment.
I generally agree with adding a Trick Room section, but some of the things you've suggested are absolutely horrendous in OU. Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Druddigon and Mega Abomasnow have no business being used in the tier whatsoever, while others you mentioned like Mega Slowbro and Smeargle are iirc generally sub-par choices for trick room. That said I don't have much experience with the playstyle so I'd like to see frequent players of it have input.

I generally agree with adding a Trick Room section, but some of the things you've suggested are absolutely horrendous in OU. Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Druddigon and Mega Abomasnow have no business being used in the tier whatsoever, while others you mentioned like Mega Slowbro and Smeargle are iirc generally sub-par choices for trick room. That said I don't have much experience with the playstyle so I'd like to see frequent players of it have input.
I haven't really gotten into ORAS OU Trick Room. That said, Whimsicott is NOT a bad TR setter. It's high speed can be fixed with Lagging Tail, and high speed also = slower U-Turn in TR. Also easily grabs momentum for the team and with the right investment, can also act as a pivot. I just added Aromatisse for the sake of another TR setter that isn't weak to Dark/Ghost/Bug types. It's true Druddigon and Mega Abomasnow are both very debatable to be used in OU, but was just listing most the ones I remember being used back in BW OU.

I haven't really gotten into ORAS OU Trick Room. That said, Whimsicott is NOT a bad TR setter. It's high speed can be fixed with Lagging Tail, and high speed also = slower U-Turn in TR. Also easily grabs momentum for the team and with the right investment, can also act as a pivot. I just added Aromatisse for the sake of another TR setter that isn't weak to Dark/Ghost/Bug types. It's true Druddigon and Mega Abomasnow are both very debatable to be used in OU, but was just listing most the ones I remember being used back in BW OU.
Whoops; I said Whimsicott. Dunno why I said that I meant to say Mesprit lol.

Karxrida

Gothitelle needs to be added to Scarfers; hits about Base 121 or something like that.

Gothitelle needs to be added to Scarfers; hits about Base 121 or something like that.
It's only really used to trick scarfs to opposing walls as a trapper, which it's already listed on. Unless there are offensive revenge killer sets that I missed now.

My suggestion:

• Make a Revenge Killers group with the following subgroups:
    • Choice Scarf
    • Priority
    • Naturally fast mons
      • Mega Manectric
      • Mega Lopunny
      • Mega Sceptile
      • Mega Aerodactyl
      • Alakazam?
Really missing some great revenge killers that don't make use of a scarf and/or priority.

p2

Banned deucer.
I'd put Talonflame in Stallbreakers, Mega Lopunny in Wallbreakers and possibly Priority, Heatran in Trappers, Celebi in Nasty Plot, Scizor and Mega Manectric in Rain Abusers

I also noticed you missed out Mega Banette, Mega Audino and Mega Steelix, or was this intentional because they're just plain bad in OU?

I'd put Talonflame in Stallbreakers, Mega Lopunny in Wallbreakers and possibly Priority, Heatran in Trappers, Celebi in Nasty Plot, Scizor and Mega Manectric in Rain Abusers

I also noticed you missed out Mega Banette, Mega Audino and Mega Steelix, or was this intentional because they're just plain bad in OU?
Those three Megas are not viable in the slightest in OU. Mega Audino is a worse Clefable, Mega Steelix is a worse Mega Aggron - which itself is a really poor 'mon in OU - and Mega Banette... just... kind of sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)