Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Making a new thread cos it offended the eyes of a particular global mod and we wouldn't want that sort of thing now would we?
Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (ORAS)

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion! Please note that all questions here are for ORAS-related questions. If you have a question about Pokemon in general, ask it in the Global SQSA thread.

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  5. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.

New type match-up chart.
Gen 6 IVs calculator.
Mentorship Forum for new users to get acquainted with Smogon

FAQ

Where can I find the Evolution Stones

-You can get the evolution stones from secret super training

SHINY NEW RULE!

If you want something suspected (because its broken, or ur sick of something 6-0ing you), kindly go PM user AM with all your troubles, needs, and solutions. Make sure its a really good argument or you won't get anywhere with him (for instance, the argument "too cute for OU" is unlikely to be successful). Or you can just bribe him, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm asking the first question then.

If Mega Alakazam traces a Tornadus' regenerator, does Alakazam regain health after he switches out? Or does his ability reset before that happens?

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but is something going to be done about the move Scald? This single move, which has a 30% chance to burn, causes most physical sweepers shaky switch-ins against Water-types and even some that can switch in consistently (think Mega Venusaur, Lati@s, Unaware Clef, Ferrothorn, bulky Waters) doesn't appreciate the burn as it forces them to use their recovery move quite often (which also causes them to give away free turns to the opponent).

People might want to bring up Lava Plume or Discharge against Scald but Lava Plume is a Fire-type move that is resisted by Fire-types and doesn't have the chance to burn them. Discharge is an Electric-type move which cannot paralyze Electrics and Grounds are immune to it. In contrast, Scald is a Water-type move which hits the one type which cannot be burned Super Effectively. Also, practically every single Water-type gets it (except those that are part-Ice or Rotom-W), a huge difference compared to Lava Plume and Discharge's poor distribution.

Also, Scald is just an easy to spam move without drawbacks. For example, I have a Starmie out against your Fire-type and you have Ferrothorn in your team. I click Scald here because it's my STAB and you switch Ferro in. Correct play on your part, right? Wrong! Because thanks to Scald's "completely balanced" burn chance, you get screwed 30% of the time as your Ferro is now crippled. It's the same thing if say, I have Keldeo up against your Hippowdon. You can switch your Azumarill in but if Scald burns, you are basically screwed and the odds are in my favour since I can just simply Scald again and again (2 consecutive Scalds has a 51% chance to burn, by the way).

EDIT: Accidentally clicked Post before finishing my sentences.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but is something going to be done about the move Scald? This single move, which has a 30% chance to burn, causes most physical sweepers shaky switch-ins against Water-types and even some that can switch in consistently (think Mega Venusaur, Lati@s, Unaware Clef, bulky Waters) doesn't appreciate the burn as it forces them to use their recovery move quite often (which also causes them to give away free turns to the opponent).

People might want to bring up Lava Plume or Discharge against Scald but Lava Plume is a Fire-type move that is resisted by Fire-types and doesn't have the chance to burn them. Discharge is an Electric-type move which cannot paralyze Electrics and Grounds are immune to it. In contrast, Scald is a Water-type move which hits the one type which cannot be burned Super Effectively. Also, practically every single Water-type gets it (except those that are part-Ice or Rotom-W), a huge difference compared to Lava Plume and Discharge's poor distribution.
There is currently a thread in the Policy Review subforum discussing whether or not it may be banworthy. The thread can be found here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scald.3541817/

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Making a new thread cos it offended the eyes of a particular global mod and we wouldn't want that sort of thing now would we?
hehe

I'll do this later probably (or an OU mod can doesn't matter to me), but I'm going to put a rule to not talk about suspect testing elements of the game. It just leads to these misconceptions, see above, that we're even in the realm of considering it and in about two or so comments turns misleading. If you're serious about seeing something suspected make a case to myself, and I mean super super fantastic case otherwise I will not care or even bother replying, in a PM and Ill give you a brief reply if it's even worth the time to reply. Otherwise please don't bring up stuff up suspecting something or asking "when is OU council going to suspect this ?". Comments like those I'm going to delete and refer you to this one. Thanks.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have successfully added the above requirement into the rules in the OP. I trust that it will meet everyone's satisfaction.

In an unrelated note, AM has agreed to implement a turn limit clause, cos those f**king regenerator cores are OP man.

What's a good multi-purpose lead that can setup hazards but also can knock a dent into a Pokemon or two?

Why are 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe and 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe the most common spreads for MixApe? What specific kills do these net?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe and 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe the most common spreads for MixApe? What specific kills do these net?
100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe SpA is needed to 2HKO standard Slowbro with Grass Knot. The other alternatives the analysis recommends are 188 Atk / 68 SpA / 252 Spe to OHKO the frailest Altaria you'll see after SR, and 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe, in order to KO scarf Lando-T with HP Ice. I'm not sure what the 168 / 88 spread is for.

How do you get the Signature under your Avatar like how Aragorn's is "Not everyone deserves a happy ending"
The 168 / 88 / 252 Spread allows you to OHKO Heatran with Close Combat I believe while dumping the rest into SpA to power up Fire Blast, Grass Knot, HP Ice, etc.

How do you get the Signature under your Avatar like how Aragorn's is "Not everyone deserves a happy ending"

The 168 / 88 / 252 Spread allows you to OHKO Heatran with Close Combat I believe while dumping the rest into SpA to power up Fire Blast, Grass Knot, HP Ice, etc.
Only 160 is needed to 0HKO Heatran. I just read the analysis it said the 168 is to 2HKO Rotom-W with CC most of the time. 160 does that too so I'm still not too sure.

Why does clefable make me me smile and noobs rage everytime I use it? Whats it about clefable?

On a more serious Question what is good Pokemon that partners well with Diancie and Beats Scizor while not being weak to stealth rock or Earthquake?. I kinda hate mege zor ATM

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On a more serious Question what is good Pokemon that partners well with Diancie and Beats Scizor while not being weak to stealth rock or Earthquake?. I kinda hate mege zor ATM
HP Fire Manaphy could work well: beats Scizor and Skarmory, and also lures Ferrothorn for Diancie. You could also run Offensive Air Baloon Heatran, although its Ground immunity is only temporary. Physically Defensive Garchomp with Fire Blast deals with Scizor very well for the most part. Rotom-W deals with most Scizor variants but loses to fast Bug Bite sets.

HP Fire Manaphy could work well: beats Scizor and Skarmory, and also lures Ferrothorn for Diancie. You could also run Offensive Air Baloon Heatran, although its Ground immunity is only temporary. Physically Defensive Garchomp with Fire Blast deals with Scizor very well for the most part. Rotom-W deals with most Scizor variants but loses to fast Bug Bite sets.
I like the sound of hp fire manaphy actually. Been looking for an excuse to use ocean pixie so this is perfect chance. I'll probably throw in garchomp for good measure as well. Thanks for the advice Albacore .

Considering that many of UU's best Scald abusers are also viable here, and we also have Keldeo, why is Scald seen as less of a problem in OU?

The defensive Infernape set seems to be Psychic-types, Water-types, Fairy-types and Mega Sableye bait. What are some good teammates for it? (besides Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, which are already listed in the Dex and those two are Mega Eye bait too).

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering that many of UU's best Scald abusers are also viable here, and we also have Keldeo, why is Scald seen as less of a problem in OU?
This is kinda tough to answer since you have to take into account all kinds of common team builds in both tiers, but one of the main factors is that OU has a slightly larger option of Water resists which are not completely disabled by burns (Keldeo, Latios, Starmie, some Mega Altaria sets, Manaphy, Seperior and Mega Venusaur to some extent). We've also got Clefable which, while not a Water resist, is still an extremely splashable Pokemon with enough bulk to take most Scalds and Magic Guard to prevent from being worn down by potential burns. Not to mention, Starmie and Celebi are both great Scald absorbers which gained enough popularity to become OU relatively recently, in fact, back when they were UU, people didn't really complain about Scald.

That being said, some people do think Scald is broken in OU, there's actually a discussion in Policy Review about this, so Scald isn't necessarily less of a problem in OU than UU, it's just that UU has a history of being more liberal with its suspect tests (hence the presence of an UU no-Scald ladder and none for OU)
The defensive Infernape set seems to be Psychic-types, Water-types, Fairy-types and Mega Sableye bait. What are some good teammates for it? (besides Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, which are already listed in the Dex and those two are Mega Eye bait too).
Jirachi is a great partner since it handles 2 out of 3 of these types, and most Pokemon of these types, pretty reliably. Slowbro and Latias also work pretty well with bulky Infernape, dealing with certain Water-types and Psychic-types.
Generally speaking, bulky Psychic-types have pretty good synergy with defensive Infernape, naturally dealing with opposing Psychics and, depending on their secondary typing, can potentially take on Water- and Fairy-types as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)