Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

It's team dependent but generally DD / Fire Punch or Ice Punch / Stone Edge / Superpower or Crunch or any coverage move in between. You are supposed to remove counters before trying to sweep to and usually late-game
I'd go dual STABs + Ice Punch / Fire Punch,
Why not start with a core and go from there? Pair Ttar with Latias who not only checks Keldeo and Rotom-W but also has Healing Wish and Defog. Then, add in a Fairy / Steel check? Say, possibly Talonflame who can spread burns to the Ground-types, allowing you the freedom to run Fire Punch on Ttar.
Thanks. Sadly, I'm still not very good.

BTW: what is mega ampharos, volcarona, jirachi, starmie, donphan and offensive mew team?

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I just posted this in the wifi forum, but since I'm mostly wondering about its competitive viability, might as well ask here too: is Bold Mew any good? My meta knowledge is, uhm, pretty fragmented atm, and while "physically defensive Psychic-type" makes a lot of sense in my mind for obvious Medicham reasons and such, afaik it pretty much only runs specially defensive spreads, so yeah, I'd appreciate some help from folks that are more in the loop lol.

recedit: I see you

Last edited by a moderator:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I just posted this in the wifi forum, but since I'm mostly wondering about its competitive viability, might as well ask here too: is Bold Mew any good? My meta knowledge is, uhm, pretty fragmented atm, and while "physically defensive Psychic-type" makes a lot of sense in my mind for obvious Medicham reasons and such, afaik it pretty much only runs specially defensive spreads, so yeah, I'd appreciate some help from folks that are more in the loop lol.
Defensive variants of Mew are used as a more solid check to stuff like M-Lopunny, Lando-T, M-Medicham, and a handful of other physical attackers. Depending on the attacking move they would be Impish / Bold but normally it's pretty team specific and a lot of times the Special Defense is used to stomach attacks from the likes of Latios and Torn-T, which is why it's the common spread on stallbreaker sets. Fully physical defense was a pretty popular choice during M-Metagross stage of the meta because that was also, barring Meteor Mash attack boosts, a way to check M-Gross in combination with another partner.

It runs specially defensive to beat more prominent threats but physically defensive has its merits on certain builds, although mostly specific.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello all, I am new here. I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I did not know where else to post this. I am looking for a place to post made-up/unconventional Pokémon sets to get other people's opinions on them. Would anyone tell me where I could find that?
If they're sets that you think are good and have replays of you using them to success, you could post them here. Otherwise (aka if you haven't tested them and/or if you're just theorymonning), this thread is the only place I can think of you could post them (you could phrase it as: how good do you guys this set could be?).

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The issue with AV Ttar is that it still technically has problems switching into Focus Blast and stomaching one in combination with Hyper Voice in the case of Mega Gardevoir. You are better off with a mixed bulk spread to check Zard X as well as Latios, and you can run Chople Berry to beat Focus Blast users. Another thing is that one of Ttars best traits (if not its absolute best trait) is the ability to pursuit trap pokemon so a set without pursuit leaves a lot to be desired. Typically Ttars run only one special move on support sets. Special Ttar as a lure has merit however an Assault Vest set kind of implies switching into stuff like Zard Y and Latios and hoping to pursuit trap them

In short, I'd recommend a Chople Berry set with Pursuit instead.

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Generally speaking if your team needs a Charizard X check you should be running 248 HP / 80 Def with a Defense boosting nature (in this case, Relaxed). That avoids a 2HKO from Dragon Claw after Stealth Rock damage and can tank an attack from +1 as well. After that usually the remaining EVs go into Special Defense for tanking hits from Latios and other special attackers better. For the most part if you're new trying to get the hang of things I'd recommend checking out the Smogon Pokedex for some standard sets since they tend to be pretty solid.

EDIT: In terms of moves that seems okay although many tend to run Stealth Rock, and I think status moves like Thunder Wave or Toxic can also be okay. You said you want to try new stuff so yeah experiment a little.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
What's the EV spread and moveset for SubRoost regular Kyurem, I can't seem to find it anywhere, especially considering it doesn't have an OU analysis, haha.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Kyurem @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 220 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Toxic

^ That?

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah that's the one, thanks, what's the speed for by the way since it hits 312, can I put any extra EV's from Speed into its bulk?

bludz

Oh, I'm not new to competitive battling. I've been using Smogon's sets for a good while now. I just wanted to try out something new. I find unconventional sets very interesting and I enjoy discussing them.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

^ That's the set I run on my Tyranitar in my Omega Ruby.
Ah my bad.

Yeah I mean I usually just mess around with the Damage Calculator to make EV spreads if I'm trying that. So if you wanna lure SpDef Skarm for instance that'd be something I'd do a calc on, and so pulling some SpD EVs from Ttar to SpA. Kinda just gotta figure out what you want the set to do. As for moves I don't really think you can go wrong - trying things out is really just the way to go. A lot of people have this concept of really sticking with one thing after building it but really any type of build (team or set) is a process of rinse and repeat testing. So yeah Ice Beam / Fire Blast seems cool, maybe you'll swap one for a different move here or there to see what fits the team you're using it on best.

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
232 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are necessary to outspeed Jolly Krookodile.
Oh i see, this is from the UU spread lol, I figured there was a more optimized spread for OU, I guess I'll play around with the spread on the calc and see what I can do about it, thanks!

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the only thing needed for the sub roost kyurem to work is the 56 hp investment cause it will keep the 101 hp subs. From there you can work on the benchmarks your team may need (speed investment, extra bulk, etc).

What is the best IV spread for an Impish TankChomp? Currently breeding to get 31/31/31/30/31/31.

Is the 30 in Sp.A needed to get any important OHKOs or 2HKOs with Fire Blast or would a spread of 31/31/31/xx/31/31 be just fine?

31 IVs : 0- SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 180-216 (51.1 - 61.3%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 IVs : 0- SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You need at least 21 in SpAtt in order to guarantee a 2HKO on Ferro which is pretty important

It also gives you a better chance at 2HKOing Skarmory, Scizor will be 2 shotted no matter what, so I would say aim to get as close to 31 as possible still. I managed to breed a 31/31/31/31/31/31 shiny Garchomp coincidentally!

What HeraChris said.
Thanks for the reply. Have bred out two 31/31/31/xx/31/31 Gibles so hoping one of them punches above 21 in Sp.A

Lucky you for your flawless shiny version. Although I don't tend to like the way shiny Pokemon look in general.

EDIT: 31/31/31/28/31/31 Shoop da woop.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)