Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I don't really have any videos, but in general, the meta right now is:

- Dbl Defog Dugtrio Stall
- Birdspam (M-Pinsir HO)
- Sand Offense
- ABR (Weavile) Stall
- Tons of Bulky Offense, mostly with some, or all, of the following pokemon: Tyranitar, Keldeo, Clefable, M-Scizor, Latios, Landorus-T
Thanks a bunch, dude!

Thanks a bunch, dude!
Np at all. Something else to note might be that right now, the higher you get, the more Stall you meet. In the low ranks it's almost nonexistent.

Also, M-Sableye is being suspect tested right now, and if it turns out it'll get banned, the metagame will again change quite a lot

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Np at all. Something else to note might be that right now, the higher you get, the more Stall you meet. In the low ranks it's almost nonexistent.

Also, M-Sableye is being suspect tested right now, and if it turns out it'll get banned, the metagame will again change quite a lot
While it is true that the metagame will change a lot with Sab gone, I don't think it'll be too noticeable since SuMo drops in about 3 weeks and Sab will be back in the meta, unless you decide to keep playing Oras for a while. Btw I don't think Sand Offense is as prevalent (I hope this is the right word) in the meta right now eventhough Ttar's usage is pretty high Sand teams aren't too common (most Excadrills run Mold Breaker as their ability according to usage stats and Sand Rush Exca is kinda staple on Sand). Just to clarify I hope I didn't get anything wrong and apologies if I did lol :)

While it is true that the metagame will change a lot with Sab gone, I don't think it'll be too noticeable since SuMo drops in about 3 weeks and Sab will be back in the meta, unless you decide to keep playing Oras for a while. Btw I don't think Sand Offense is as prevalent (I hope this is the right word) in the meta right now eventhough Ttar's usage is pretty high Sand teams aren't too common (most Excadrills run Mold Breaker as their ability according to usage stats and Sand Rush Exca is kinda staple on Sand). Just to clarify I hope I didn't get anything wrong and apologies if I did lol :)
No, you're right actually, Sand is the least played of those, I just listed it to be complete

What are the imports for standard dual defog and the new wonder trio teams?
Since I've got nothing to do right now, but love triggering people who hate Stall, there are several other variants of those teams out there too. Especially ABR has created 2 rather unique versions of those teams, the one being M-Alt/Heatran/Dugtrio/Zapdos/Skarmory/Clefable for the Dbl Defog Duggy team, and Shed/Dugtrio/M-Sab/Chansey/Amoongus/Zapdos for WonderTrio respectively. (Credit to Fox for the latter team's original version though)

So maybe you find those more fun/fitting to your playstyle than the default teams

What are the best stallbreakers right now ? I ask that because I would love to get a bit higher on the ladder than usual and I wanted to prepare it since as of right now the best ELO I reached was 1717. Usually I get up to 1600 without any problems.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What are the best stallbreakers right now ? I ask that because I would love to get a bit higher on the ladder than usual and I wanted to prepare it since as of right now the best ELO I reached was 1717. Usually I get up to 1600 without any problems.
OU Ladder: Crawdaunt, MHera, Manaphy, Vincune, Banded Kyurem-B, Screech Dugtrio cores, Banded Diggersby, Stored Power Clef
Suspect Ladder: The same as above + pokemon like Mew, Taunt Toxic Gliscor, Tauntwisp Talonflame, Gengar and Togekiss.

Some of these don't really break the current stall teams easily (Togekiss and Talonflame struggle with Zapdos, Gengar dislikes Pursuit stall, Diggersby has to predict, but gets worn down by Spikes and Toxic), but they definitely make the matchup a lot better. Especially on the suspect ladder pokemon like Togekiss are a lot more effective, not only because Zapdos is less common, but also because it is a lot easier to pressure Zapdos because stall lacks Magic Bounce.

OU Ladder: Crawdaunt, MHera, Manaphy, Vincune, Banded Kyurem-B, Screech Dugtrio cores, Banded Diggersby, Stored Power Clef
Suspect Ladder: The same as above + pokemon like Mew, Taunt Toxic Gliscor, Tauntwisp Talonflame, Gengar and Togekiss.

Some of these don't really break the current stall teams easily (Togekiss and Talonflame struggle with Zapdos, Gengar dislikes Pursuit stall, Diggersby has to predict, but gets worn down by Spikes and Toxic), but they definitely make the matchup a lot better. Especially on the suspect ladder pokemon like Togekiss are a lot more effective, not only because Zapdos is less common, but also because it is a lot easier to pressure Zapdos because stall lacks Magic Bounce.
Thank you so much for this long list :) that'll help me for sure :)

Can confirm, Crawdaunt is a major pain in the ass x) People even started running certain pokemon without an item just to decrease the Knock Off damage

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IIRC that was a thing before on Amoonguss because it allowed it to take a hit from +6 Azumarill's KOff at full health, as well as to take on CB more consistently, and it will always be a thing on Talonflame to both give it a full-power Acrobatics and to reduce damage that it takes from KOff to better check Pokémon like Weavile. Ultimately though I think that itemless Amoonguss and other similar things barring Acro users isn't ever going to be a particularly big thing because sacrificing Black Sludge does hurt its ability to come in on other things throughout the match, and especially over multiple turns there is a large health deficit that comes from not using it (you lose out on the equivalent of 25% recovery for every 4 turns you aren't at full health).

Hi! I am new to competitive pokemon, but I know the basics. I love pokemon and I would really love to learn more. Does anyone have any guidance on how to learn and improve?

Hi! I am new to competitive pokemon, but I know the basics. I love pokemon and I would really love to learn more. Does anyone have any guidance on how to learn and improve?
There's so much, it really all depends on what your goals are. I think one of the most important things to know, no matter if you aim to get a better builder, or a better battler (or both), is the current metagame. Aka before building a new team, or trying a team on the ladder, ask yourself "what are the most common threats right now, both in terms of archetypes, and pokemon?", "is my team prepared for all those threats?", "can I ignore some threats by overwhelming them?", etc.

If you don't care about building teams, you can always pick one from the sample team thread or similar ressources, and go straight to the ladder, but that still requires knowledge of when to use which of the Pokemon

What's the difference between having low HP but high Def/Sp. Def, such as Mega Diancie and high HP but low Def, such as Snorlax?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)