Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Physical Nidoking at all worth considering? Whether in this tier or a lower one? The Elemental Punches hit about the same damage as the beams (difference of 2-3%), as does EQ (though LO recoil). However, there's a noticeable power difference with Gunk Shot

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 199-234 (58.3 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 281-331 (82.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If all of the other moves are about the same, but there's that big a power difference for one of its STABs, what in particular makes it so much less viable?

ok ... so in my scenario, B does counter A?

also, by that definition, what exactly counter mega charizard x?
In your scenario, it comes down to whether Pokemon B can recover the damage it took. If it can heal and knock the opponent out it's a counter. If not, it's a check.

As I understand, these are the definitions to know.

Counter: Can switch into anything the opponent does and win 1v1 in any scenario (SR, getting to +1 on a switch, etc.)
Check: Given a safe switch (VoltTurn, Sacking, Phazed in, etc), the Pokemon will win 1v1.

There's also "Hard" and "Soft" checks/counters. Soft checks/counters will perform the job for sure at least once, but risk being overwhelmed. "Hard" checks/counters will be able to do this consistently.

For example: Physically Defensive Rotom-W is a counter to Mega Pinsir if it can switch into any move (Boosted Quick Attack, Return, CC) and cripple Pinsir (Will-o-wisp) or knock it out no matter what; however, it's a "soft" counter since it can't reliably heal itself to do this over and over.

Is Physical Nidoking at all worth considering? Whether in this tier or a lower one? The Elemental Punches hit about the same damage as the beams (difference of 2-3%), as does EQ (though LO recoil). However, there's a noticeable power difference with Gunk Shot

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 199-234 (58.3 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 281-331 (82.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If all of the other moves are about the same, but there's that big a power difference for one of its STABs, what in particular makes it so much less viable?
I think it's more about how Nidoking has a great special movepool that also take advantage of sheer force. By no means is a physical set unviable, it's just the movepool and sheer force.

Question:

people that play legendary pokemon competitively. there really isnt a realistic way for people to IV breed them without cheating. can one assume that someone using something like say a Latios wont be IV breed. or do people do this? what is the general consensus. Same question for shiny. if your using a shiny against me im assuming its not iv breed as the chances are astronomical it generated with 5-6 IVS (right?)or you cheated.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Question:

people that play legendary pokemon competitively. there really isnt a realistic way for people to IV breed them without cheating. can one assume that someone using something like say a Latios wont be IV breed. or do people do this? what is the general consensus. Same question for shiny. if your using a shiny against me im assuming its not iv breed as the chances are astronomical it generated with 5-6 IVS (right?)or you cheated.
In gen 6, anything that is unable to be bred will be guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs. So with a synchronize mon leading the party (to give it a 50% chance to have the nature you want), all it takes is a bunch of soft resetting.

Question:

It is possible to get flawless IV legendary or shiny Pokémon, such as Latios, in past generations through a process known as RNG abuse. http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are people's main ways of combatting 3 attacks + Destiny Bond Gengar? I'm always torn between something fast, which is usually 2hkod, or something slow and bulky, which falls victim to destiny bond more often than not.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are people's main ways of combatting 3 attacks + Destiny Bond Gengar? I'm always torn between something fast, which is usually 2hkod, or something slow and bulky, which falls victim to destiny bond more often than not.
I think Taunt + 3 attacks Gengar is more common and effective than Destiny Bond, but I think that wearing it down with passive damage like leech seed or sandstorm would do it in quickly with LO recoil.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Taunt + 3 attacks Gengar is more common and effective than Destiny Bond, but I think that wearing it down with passive damage like leech seed or sandstorm would do it in quickly with LO recoil.
That may be the case. I'm just always scared of bringing in something slower than it to kill it, having know knowledge if it has dbond or Taunt.

A couple of things I find help are taunt, and passive damage. Taunt is useful if you want to be a bit more offensive, but if you're on a more defensive team, then you might want to use passive damage. Also, if you have a pokemon that's pretty much dead and can't do much to the rest of your opponent's team that either outspeeds or has a priority move, sacking it might be an option.

M-Venusaur can deal with it fairly well with max spdef and leech seed. If pressed for a mega slot, max spdef Amoongus could do the job similarly with leech seed, and it can have uses outside of dealing with 3 attack destiny bond gengar.

Question:

It took me 150 eggs to get a perfect 5IV shiny Froakie and about 2000 eggs to get a perfect 6IV (no speed) Honedge.

With Masuda method and Shiny Charm, the odds are still low but not astronomically low. It took me about 75 hours of game play on the cart to get those two shinies. I also bred 5IV-versions of each Kalos-specific fully evolved pokemon, not caring about shininess. I ended up getting a shiny Vivillon (missing SpDef IV) and a shiny Slurpuff too (missing HP IV). So 4 shinies in about 100 hours of game play.

As for legendaries, gen 6 legendaries are guaranteed to have at least 3 perfect IVs. So just a bit of soft resetting with a Synchronize mon gets you a 5IV legendary. I did soft resetting for the gen 6 legends and didn't even wait for 5 or 6 IVs. I just got a good guaranteed 3 (say, HP, SpAtk, and Speed), and then settled on the others if they were at least 25. It doesn't take long at all, maybe 20-30 minutes if you get unlucky.

For past gens, you can use the technique of RNG abuse to get the IVs you want. Takes more time with soft resetting, but it's still well within a reasonable amount of game time.

Sure, a lot of people cheat to get them, but, frankly, I don't care. On the cart, a few IVs are really not going to make a huge difference over good play anyway. So if you spent the minimal time to get, say, at least 25 in all relevant IVs, then you're fine. For shinies, I don't care if people cheat either. It's really easy to breed a 5/6 IV mon in gen 6 breeding mechanics. The shininess is just aesthetic anyway and has no impact on game play. So if someone cheated and got a perfect shiny pokemon, I don't care because it would take me maybe 3-5 generations of egg breeding to get a perfect non-shiny, which is just as good.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually Scarf Lamdo-T runs 232 Speed since that's all it really need, plus it can underspeed other Scarf Lando-Ts and U-Turn after them.
It can also carry Superpower over Knock off for the OHKO on MTTar and MGyara.

What nature does scarfed 108 base speed (keldeo on terrakion) benefit the most from and why? does they outspeed anything significant (other than scarfed jolly garchomp) with a beneficial speed nature?

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What nature does scarfed 108 base speed (keldeo on terrakion) benefit the most from and why? does they outspeed anything significant (other than scarfed jolly garchomp) with a beneficial speed nature?
Postiive nature scarf kyurem (uncommon) positive scarfgarchomp (common) positive nature scarf/+1 charizard, staraptor, jirachi, also allows you to speed tie opposing keldeo/terrakion, if the item is knocked off (especially in keldeo's case, since he's one of the premier switch ins to Bisharp) you can still surpass Landorus-Incarnate and Mega Pinsir.
As such I suppose that a Modest nature is better if you have with you a bulky water like Slowbro.

When the viability rankings rank a mega, do they factor in the fact that a player is giving up the ability to use another mega by using it? Something like Mega Amphy or whatever may be good in a vacuum, but the fact that using it prohibits you from using something clearly better makes it hard to use.

When the viability rankings rank a mega, do they factor in the fact that a player is giving up the ability to use another mega by using it? Something like Mega Amphy or whatever may be good in a vacuum, but the fact that using it prohibits you from using something clearly better makes it hard to use.
Yes, but it isn't a direct mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)