Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressure, it lets you win a PP war against other Calm Minders (or just bulky mons) as they will run out of recovery moves faster than Suicune.

I'm noticing more people running +spatk natures on their Landorus-Is rather than +spe. I understand it's better for Rock Polish sets but what about other sets? I thought Lando's speed tier was pretty good allowing it to outspeed base 100s. Is +spatk the new standard?

I'm noticing more people running +spatk natures on their Landorus-Is rather than +spe. I understand it's better for Rock Polish sets but what about other sets? I thought Lando's speed tier was pretty good allowing it to outspeed base 100s. Is +spatk the new standard?

Its more like with the new Megas released, base 110 has become the new standard. Most base 100s like Mega Gardevoir and Mega Zard Y are going modest these days, so there isnt much of a point to go timid>modest on Lando-I

In addition to what bolts said, CM can run Modest because the 10% boost becomes more significant after factoring in a 1.5 boost from CM at +1 and the 1.6 boost from Sheer Force and Life Orb. That, and the teams CM thrives against are typically slower in nature.
Thanks for the responses :) How about 4 attacks/Stealth Rocks?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll switch Rotom's set, but Bisharp is there to check the Fairies that give Gallade trouble -- what other reliable Fairy killer is there in OU?

Specially Defensive Togekiss is not exactly a counter but it is a decent check (esp to non-Lum variants) and has the ability to Defog as well. Although it is weak to rocks making it not the best Defogger

are there good not-defogger/spinner counters ?
There's quite a few. How about starting with one of the reasons Volcarona was overlooked for so long; Birdspam -- Pinsir and Talonflame have Aerilate Quick Attack and priority Brave Bird respectively, super-effective priority STAB which targets Volcarona's very poor defence.

There's quite a few. How about starting with one of the reasons Volcarona was overlooked for so long; Birdspam -- Pinsir and Talonflame have Aerilate Quick Attack and priority Brave Bird respectively, super-effective priority STAB which targets Volcarona's very poor defence.
All talonflame sets so ?

All talonflame sets so ?
Not sure what your question's asking, but if you're asking which set works for this, any set should work. Even Stallbreaker sets and Bulk Up sets threaten a OHKO:
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 308-366 (91.9 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Just take whatever set your team needs (SD if you need a sweeper, stallbreaker if you're weak to stall, etc.)

Why is Keldeo S-Rank despite being checked and countered by many common Pokemon?

Now I understand that it's fast, hits hard, and can wear down its checks with Scald burns
but it has many common counters and many checks, including Latios, Celebi, Amoonguss, MegaSaur, Alakazam, Thundurus, Talonflame, Mega Manectric, Vaporeon...and on and on. The Mega Latis and Celebi can even set up on it.

So I fail to understand why Keldeo is that good taking into account its many (very common) counters and checks.

Why is Keldeo S-Rank despite being checked and countered by many common Pokemon?

Now I understand that it's fast, hits hard, and can wear down its checks with Scald burns
but it has many common counters and many checks, including Latios, Celebi, Amoonguss, MegaSaur, Alakazam, Thundurus, Talonflame, Mega Manectric, Vaporeon...and on and on. The Mega Latis and Celebi can even set up on it.

So I fail to understand why Keldeo is that good taking into account its many (very common) counters and checks.
There's basically three reasons imo:
  1. Sub and CM give it utility against offensive and defensive teams respectively. Sub also let's you wait to see what they send in, and respond appropriately. Being able to hit of both ends makes it more difficult to check overall.
  2. Meta-defining. You need a Keldeo check or you're going to be screwed. This is true with a lot of things, but seems to be true for Keldeo moreso than others. It's also more common because there's no real oppertunity cost associated with it, unlike Megas. Other legends, even Latios, are a step or two below (Latios is slightly lower because reliance on Draco leaves it with less staying power). Keldeo is more difficult to play around than other things because...
  3. It can BS past or cripple most of its would be counters with Scald. Latios + Celebi can avoid the 2HKO often, but burn damage + hazard damage and a +1 STAB move racks up quickly. Most of that doesn't even affect Keldeo and the check 1v1, for example a burned Mega Venu stops a decent amount of threats less than a non-burned one. Standard Tank Mega Venu can take any hit from Mega Lopunny comfortably. A burned one? A 2HKO 50% of the time.
That's all imo and does not reflect the views of the Viability Council. Perhaps AM would like to chime in on this if he has the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back