Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do moves like Future Sight bypass Unaware?
No. FS calculates damage using the SpA of the user (if the user switches out before it hits, then any boosts the user had are reset to 0) and the SpD of the target hit. FS has some additional mechanics in that it bypasses Substitute, Endure, and Protect. But other than that, it works just as any other move would against Unaware targets.

Hey ! I used to play a mega lucario sweep based on setting everything up for an SD mega lucario, but now that he is banned, do you have any idea of similar pokemons that can replace him ?
I thought of Mega-pinsir, since the principle is the same (Sd, then use your huge stab and huge priority) but the offensive coverage is too different
I also thought of Terrakion maybe ?

Any other ideas ?

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Two questions:

1) Could someone give me a link to a good gen 6 damage calculator?
2) I want to use a Thundurus with HP Ice and as low an attack IV as possible. How can I figure out a good IV spread?

But won't that mess with its type?
http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php

That gives a chart of the highest possible IVs for a given HP-type and it also gives an HP-type calculator for any given set of IVs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/58772271

That thread gives a list of all IV combos for a given HP-type of power 70. The two tools are a bit outdated since in gen 6, HP is always 60BP. (In gen 5, it varied, up to the max of 70BP.) The calculating of the type is the same though.

FYI, the type of HP is calculated as follows:
(1) The only thing that matters is the IVs and their "least significant bits", or "LSB". The LSB is 0 if the IV is even and the LSB is 1 if the IV is odd.
(2) Arrange the 0's and 1's in the following order: (SpD)(SpA)(Spe)(Def)(Atk)(HP). So you get a string of 6 bits, which represents any number from 0 to 63, in base 2.
(3) The number (in base 10) then determines the type by the following chart:

0-4: Fighting
5-8: Flying
9-12: Poison
13-16: Ground
17-20: Rock
21-25: Bug
26-29: Ghost
30-33: Steel
34-37: Fire
38-41: Water
42-46: Grass
47-50: Electric
51-54: Psychic
55-58: Ice
59-62: Dragon
63: Dark

(Note that HP cannot be Normal- or Fairy-type. Also note that some types are more likely than others, particular Fighting-, Bug-, and Grass-types.)

Okay... now to answer your question: What is the least possible value of Atk IV to get a HP-type of Ice? The IVs must give a 6-bit string that represents a number from 55-58. That means the two leftmost bits must be 1 (so SpD and SpD must be odd). That leaves anywhere from 7 to 10 to make up. The Atk IV determines the power of 2^1 in the number. Each of the numbers 7 through 10 has the following binary expression (last four bits of the 6-bit number):

7---> 0111
8---> 1000
9---> 1001
10--> 1010

So clearly we are going to have to make a compromise on one of the IVs. We cannot have Atk=0 and all the others 31 (since that would be the string 1101, which does not appear). So it depends on which IV you want to lose points in. So the verdict is as follows:

HP-Ice is possible with the following IV spread, allowing Atk to be as low as possible (0 or 1) and all others as high as possible (30 or 31): all spreads must have SpD=SpA=31. There are then 4 possibilities for the others:

(1) Spe=30 Def=31 Atk=1 HP=31
(2) Spe=31 Def=30 Atk=0 HP=30
(3) Spe=31 Def=30 Atk=0 HP=31
(4) Spe=31 Def=30 Atk=1 HP=30

Choose your pleasure. (Remember that these are the only viable choices since all that really matters ultimately is whether the IV is even or odd. An IV of 29 is the same as an IV of 31 in the same stat.) I would probably just go with option (3). Options (2) and (4) lower two IVs. So it's either option (1) (lower Speed) or option (3) (lower Defense).

Do roar and whirlwind really not check accuracy anymore?
No, they don't. Roar and Whirlwind can't miss under any circumstances (not 100% sure on Wonder Skin, but that's really rare anyway). Nope, they can't miss against Wonder Skin either. The only way to prevent Roar or Whirlwind from happening is through Magic Coat, Ingrain, Suction Cups, Magic Bounce, or Soundproof (in the case of Roar).

Last edited:
No, they don't. Roar and Whirlwind can't miss under any circumstances (not 100% sure on Wonder Skin, but that's really rare anyway). Nope, they can't miss against Wonder Skin either. The only way to prevent Roar or Whirlwind from happening is through Magic Coat, Ingrain, Suction Cups, Magic Bounce, or Soundproof (in the case of Roar).
Interesting...seems to put a new perspective on evasion clause and moody clause (since iirc the main reason for banning moody was because you could stall for an evasion boost). Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.

Did a batle a while ago (wish I'd saved it), however, I think a game mechanic on Showdown is wrong. Rest did NOT cancel out Yawn. As in....,

Turn*: Vaporeon used Yawn, Sableye is drowsey.

Turn**: Sableye used Rest, and wakes up due to Chesto Berry.

End of Turn **: Sableye falls asleep due to Yawn.

Is this correct in actual game play, or is it a Showdown error?

Outside of Hyper Voice, are there any other sound moves that will hit through Substitute?
Basically anything that Soundproof will block will punch through a Substitute. Bug Buzz, Boomburst, Disarming Voice, Echoed Voice...

There's also a bunch of status moves that can go through now thanks to being sound-based, like some stat-lowering moves (Screech, Metal Sound) or sleep-based moves (Sing, Grasswhistle).

I'm probably forgetting some but those are a few of the most notable. Bulbapedia at least has a category for sound-based moves, I don't know if anywhere else categorizes them that way.

Where can I find good XY OU gameplay outside of Smogon's channel ? (Btw there should be a Replay section don't you think ?)
Also I have a question I really don't know where to ask so I'll just do it here :

Where would you say are the most skilled pokemon players ? I would be tempted to say here, but there are also real life tournaments, and what about the japanese Pokemon community ? Japan tends to be very "active" when it comes to competitive play. Plus I'm getting lots of good IV pokemons when Wonder Trading with Japaneses (Might just be an impression though)

Does anybody agree with me when I say cofagrigus would be a good check to M-Pinsir?!?! My friends think so, but the smogon community (no offense) seems to think otherwise. I'm talking about this set or any set in general
Cofagrigus
N: Relaxed
I: Leftovers
A: Mummy
M1: Will-O-Wisp
M2: Hex
M3: Infestation
M4: Calm Mind/Protect
EVs:252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.Ark

You can (IMO) take an attack from a M-Pinsir with no setup (swords dance) then burn it canceling SD, also causing them to get mummified taking away there only priority and reason of being in the battle. After burn and Rocks you can protect to get lefties then live a hit and KO with Hex. So what do you think?

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 274-324 (85.6 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

While I agree Mummy is annoying for Mega-Pinsir, I don't think we can consider Cofa to be a good check to Mega-Pinsir since it can't take one boosted hit (And that is saying a lot about how powerful Mega-Pinsir is, lol.). There is no reason for M-Pinsir not to run Swords Dance btw, and switching to Cofa allows it to set-up, as otherwise M-Pinsir has no reason to stay against Cofagrigus if unboosted.
Also Mummy doesn't kill and is cancelled after a switch-out so it's not that much of a big deal after all. It is annoying especially because of the 4xStealth Rock weakness once mega-evolved, but even without Aerilate Mega Pinsir is a rather fast and powerful threat and is far from being useless.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 274-324 (85.6 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

While I agree Mummy is annoying for Mega-Pinsir, I don't think we can consider Cofa to be a good check to Mega-Pinsir since it can't take one boosted hit (And that is saying a lot about how powerful Mega-Pinsir is, lol.). There is no reason for M-Pinsir not to run Swords Dance btw, and switching to Cofa allows it to set-up, as otherwise M-Pinsir has no reason to stay against Cofagrigus if unboosted.
Also Mummy doesn't kill and is cancelled after a switch-out so it's not that much of a big deal after all. It is annoying especially because of the 4xStealth Rock weakness once mega-evolved, but even without Aerilate Mega Pinsir is a rather fast and powerful threat and is far from being useless.
Okay I understand...is this thread a "whatever" thread like can we speak freely?

Ok, I will sound like a complete and total moron, but I'll just ask this super-dumb question:

How do you PM people? I've been waiting for Kyurem-W to get GP checks and I want to PM one of the members I know and ask them if they can work on it. also plz don't hurt me I bruise easy

I'm thinking of breeding this for competitive battling, do any of you think this would be any good against fairys? Also need some help on a few areas.

Pokemon: Gengar
Nature: Should I go with Modest or Timid?
Item: Gengarite
EVs: 252 Sp.att | 252 Spd | 4 ?
Move set:
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Focus Blast
Dazzling Gleam or Thunderbolt?

Shadow Ball for basic STAB move and good for pyshics, Sludge Bomb for the fairy's, Focus Blast for high type coverage and either Dazzling Gleam for Dragons and fighting types or thunderbolt for flying/water.

Jolly or Adamant nature for sword dance set lucario? and why?

also since is gonna be for XY with pentagon, I can't run ice punch, should I bring Earthquake or Crunch or bullet punch for the last slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)