Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good offensive partners for BellyJet Azumarill? I kinda threw a team together around it but I feel like I rely too much on Azumarill to win. I'd appreciate some expert opinions :)
Azumarill really likes team members that can deal with Physical Walls, Grass Types like M-Venusaur and Ferrothorn, Bulky Waters and Electric types (M-Manectric in particular with Intimidate can be annoying).

I recommend Kyurem-B. His mixed sets and good offensive stats make him good at Wall Breaking, and he gets coverage to hit Bulky Waters, Electric Types, Physical Walls with Special moves, and many Grass-Types (Teravolt ignores M-Venusaur's Thick Fat) while resisting the STAB moves of most mentioned save Venusaur's Sludge Bomb and Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. M-Ampharos also matches up well, 4x Resist to Electric Attacks, Focus Blast for Steel Types, good coverage with its dual STABs to hit them neutrally, and a slow Volt Switch to bring Azumarill in safely.

Just got my hands on a Modest Deoxys. I want to make it a Deoxys-S. I know most offensive ones are Naive, but given this is the one I've got, what should its moveset/EVs be?

Just got my hands on a Modest Deoxys. I want to make it a Deoxys-S. I know most offensive ones are Naive, but given this is the one I've got, what should its moveset/EVs be?
Well since that's the only one that you have I think it should just be the typical EVs for a normal Deo-S. You definitely want max speed, that's for sure. I don't know what moveset you want though. I suggest an attacking moveset with Knock Off, Superpower, Ice Beam, and a Psychic STAB (Psyshock or Psycho Boost).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yep, Kyurem-B is a great stall breaker, but I decided to go with gengar because it completely shuts down chansey, heatran, mega venusar, and various other walls. Maybe I'll take out one of my walls for Kyurem, but idk.
Just saying, but stallbreaking and wallbreaking are two different things; stallbreaking is something like Mew, which utilizes Taunt, Recovery, and Will-o-Wisp to shut down most stall 'mons. A wallbreaker is a Pokemon that can muscle through stall with extremely high-powered moves, like Landorus-I or Charizard.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, but stallbreaking and wallbreaking are two different things; stallbreaking is something like Mew, which utilizes Taunt, Recovery, and Will-o-Wisp to shut down most stall 'mons. A wallbreaker is a Pokemon that can muscle through stall with extremely high-powered moves, like Landorus-I or Charizard.
Yeah, good point - comparing the two I mentioned, kyurem-b would be more of a wallbreaker while gengar would fit the role of a stall breaker.

Check and counter for Mega-Venusaur and Aegislash

I dont really want to recreate my entire team but Mega-Venusaur and Aegislash has been the bane of my team. I was really hoping my Timid Greninja would be able to take care of these two with Dark Pulse and Extrasensory. Unfortunately it is a 2hko and Greninja is just too frail to take a hit. This leaves the rest of my team all screwed up because Aegislash can just do a King's Shield and then a shadow sneak to get a little extra damage before he goes down.
So i need a counter for these two, preferably out of one pokemon. The first that comes to mind is Mega-Absol. But again if he doesnt do a OHKO he is too frail to take a hit.

Moves

Sucker Punch (Aegislash Coverage)
Psycho Cut (Venusaur Coverage)
Play Rough/Fire Blast
Protect

The only issue i have is that I dont have any coverage for Fairies on my team because i got rid of Heatran. I felt he was too much of a liability. So this leavs m with a tough decision in finding something that can replace him with his Ground/Fire/Steel Coverage.

Nidoking was another idea with Poison/Ground moves. But is he fast and strong enough?

Idk, im trying to figure out what to do but havent decided and wanted some help/suggestions. Also if i do go with absol, what nature should i make him?

How viable is Drapion as of right now? In theory, I feel like it might be able to be a pretty decent mon to use thanks to the defensive steel nerf and introduction of fairies being weak to poison. Of all the pokemon that resist its STAB attacks, only Krookodile isn't weak to Earthquake so I figured a SD set should be fine and partnering it up with Gengar would work out real well too. Any thoughts?

How viable is Drapion as of right now? In theory, I feel like it might be able to be a pretty decent mon to use thanks to the defensive steel nerf and introduction of fairies being weak to poison. Of all the pokemon that resist its STAB attacks, only Krookodile isn't weak to Earthquake so I figured a SD set should be fine and partnering it up with Gengar would work out real well too. Any thoughts?
I think drapion could be pretty good. I think Poison has really went up this generation but lacks respect at the same time.

Drapion has Decent Defense but meh speed, with an ok Attack. Plus it only has on weakness which is ground. Could be a fairy killer at the very least, plus has dark typing to take on Ghosts. Just need to have the speed to do it

I dont really want to recreate my entire team but Mega-Venusaur and Aegislash has been the bane of my team. I was really hoping my Timid Greninja would be able to take care of these two with Dark Pulse and Extrasensory. Unfortunately it is a 2hko and Greninja is just too frail to take a hit. This leaves the rest of my team all screwed up because Aegislash can just do a King's Shield and then a shadow sneak to get a little extra damage before he goes down.
So i need a counter for these two, preferably out of one pokemon. The first that comes to mind is Mega-Absol. But again if he doesnt do a OHKO he is too frail to take a hit.

Moves

Sucker Punch (Aegislash Coverage)
Psycho Cut (Venusaur Coverage)
Play Rough/Fire Blast
Protect

The only issue i have is that I dont have any coverage for Fairies on my team because i got rid of Heatran. I felt he was too much of a liability. So this leavs m with a tough decision in finding something that can replace him with his Ground/Fire/Steel Coverage.

Nidoking was another idea with Poison/Ground moves. But is he fast and strong enough?

Idk, im trying to figure out what to do but havent decided and wanted some help/suggestions. Also if i do go with absol, what nature should i make him?
As I noted on your thread, Kyurem-B and Mega Gyarados both work well, since with Teravolt/Mold Breaker they ignore Venusaur's Thick Fat and their Ice moves will deal Super-Effective damage, while EQ/Earth Power deals with Aegislash (watch out for the occasional Sacred Sword).

Minor thing this brings to mind. Does King's Shield trigger the stat drop if the attacker has a Sub? Like, SubDance Gyarados uses Waterfall on Aegislash as he KS, does Gyarados drop if he's behind a Sub at the time? Main reason I question this is because I've seen Intimidate doesn't work and yawn, though a sound move, does not work through a Sub, so I'm not quite sure what can and can't circumvent it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Minor thing this brings to mind. Does King's Shield trigger the stat drop if the attacker has a Sub? Like, SubDance Gyarados uses Waterfall on Aegislash as he KS, does Gyarados drop if he's behind a Sub at the time? Main reason I question this is because I've seen Intimidate doesn't work and yawn, though a sound move, does not work through a Sub, so I'm not quite sure what can and can't circumvent it.
yes

JayWood2010 said:
As someone mentioned in your original post, Kyurem-B (one of my personal favorites) can be an excellent check to both. Its Teravolt skill negates Mega-Venusaur's Thick Fat, so Ice Beam tears through it. It can also beat Aegislash 1v1, though it's more of a check since Sacred Sword will maim it. Another possible option is Talonflame, though it's also more of a check for Aegislash (man that thing's a monster)
EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice someone beat me to the punch

I think drapion could be pretty good. I think Poison has really went up this generation but lacks respect at the same time.

Drapion has Decent Defense but meh speed, with an ok Attack. Plus it only has on weakness which is ground. Could be a fairy killer at the very least, plus has dark typing to take on Ghosts. Just need to have the speed to do it
Well it does have Agility, but with an Adamant nature, Its attack only reaches 306. In this meta I rather have Attack>Speed in Drap's situation since priority has been such a big thing this gen.

As I noted on your thread, Kyurem-B and Mega Gyarados both work well, since with Teravolt/Mold Breaker they ignore Venusaur's Thick Fat and their Ice moves will deal Super-Effective damage, while EQ/Earth Power deals with Aegislash (watch out for the occasional Sacred Sword).

Is Kyurem-B Uber or OU? I wont use anything in Uber.

Gyrados does sound like a good idea. I dont like that his base speed is an 81 but Dragon Dance could fix that. That is a possible one, though ill still prob look for some other options before deciding.

As someone else said, TalonFlame could work. THough i prefer Crobat with a similar role, without the priority bit higher attack and takes out fairies.

I have no idea about the sub, but that is an interesting question. Id like to know this as well. Id assume it still takes effect

Well it does have Agility, but with an Adamant nature, Its attack only reaches 306. In this meta I rather have Attack>Speed in Drap's situation since priority has been such a big thing this gen.
That is true. As long as you can get an agility off he could do really well. Just have to watch out for his poor special Defense.

I actually use Timid Nature Mega-Ampharos with Agility. A lot of people thinks he isnt that great but with his overall good defense and one agility he can outspeed everybody and just demolish pokemon. Def one of my MVP's.

JayWood2010 said:
Is Kyurem-B Uber or OU? I wont use anything in Uber.
Kyurem-B is in OU. Its attack is ridiculous, but the lack of boosting moves, its stealth rock weakness and its shallow physical movepool keep it in OU.

Another question. Would Timid Nature Mega-Absol be able to OHKO Mega-Venusaur with Psychocut? If not would Adament nature be able to?
252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

So even a 2HKO is wishful thinking on a specially defensive M-Venusaur, so a physically defensive one laughs at it.

252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

So even a 2HKO is wishful thinking on a specially defensive M-Venusaur, so a physically defensive one laughs at it.

Well that sucks lol What about a Brave Bird from Crobat or TalonFlame?

JayWood2010 said:
Well that sucks lol What about a Brave Bird from Crobat or TalonFlame?
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 294-348 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 314-372 (86.2 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

For both of them, if the Mega Venusaur is physically defensive, it'll be a 2HKO (the odds of a OHKO from Crobat are pretty low) assuming both are adamant and Banded. Maybe not ideal, but they certainly hit harder than M-Absol's Psycho Cut

Okay, so after tons of battling with a variety of teams, I have come to a conclusion about why I don't win as often as I'd like to:

My team building ability sucks. I'm good at playing, I can predict, and such, but I often find my team either walled or just overwhelmed.

So, what are the best resources for me to learn solid, goal-oriented team building skills? I'm looking to understand key concepts and procedures so my entire team building mindset can evolve.

What are some good items for defog scizor? Im already using mega gyarados, so i cant use mega scizor
To be honest, Scizor that isn't Mega or Choice Band is really mediocre in this metagame. Defog Scizor kinda needs the extra bulk from Scizorite to be able to use Defog effectively, and OU isn't exactly running low on good defoggers to begin with. However, if you do choose to use Defog Scizor and you can't use Scizorite, then Leftovers would be the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)