Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 33325
Why have I only ever heard of 1 of these 4 moves?

I hope the move you knew was Falcon-related.
What's the most effective way to get off a Mega Evolution with Mega Diancie? On the turn you do, you basically have 50/110/110 bulk which wouldn't be too bad except for the 50 HP and also the 50 base speed for the first turn, so you are vulnerable to attack. It just feels awkward to be unguarded like that, and I really don't want to have to rely on Protect to get the safe Mega.
AM touched on it already but Sticky Web support (although unpopular right now) will allow you to outspeed plenty of mons, but they are a hassle to keep up. Protect is the most reliable option, however, even when it's almost useless outside of mega evolving. What I'd try to do is send out Diancie on something it forces out/can tank/is really passive and Rock Polish on that turn.

Last edited:
In the previous version of Smogon's strategy Pokedex, when viewing a page about an item or move, there would be stuff about the competitive viability of said item or move. Now there isn't. Is there some place on Smogon that talks about the viability of items and moves? Or was that feature discontinued?

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the previous version of Smogon's strategy Pokedex, when viewing a page about an item or move, there would be stuff about the competitive viability of said item or move. Now there isn't. Is there some place on Smogon that talks about the viability of items and moves? Or was that feature discontinued?
I think that feature was discontinued, but you can certainly learn how good items and moves are by using them. Also, what is the max file size for an avatar?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can Knock Off 1 hit KO a full HP pokemon wearing a focus sash? I would assume it does not but I am curious.

Can Knock Off 1 hit KO a full HP pokemon wearing a focus sash? I would assume it does not but I am curious.
As a side note, all items knocked off by Knock Off still proc on the turn they were removed. For example, if Armaldo holds a Sitrus Berry and has it knocked off but is brought to 37% HP by Knock Off then he will still heal for 25% of his HP.

As a side note, all items knocked off by Knock Off still proc on the turn they were removed. For example, if Armaldo holds a Sitrus Berry and has it knocked off but is brought to 37% HP by Knock Off then he will still heal for 25% of his HP.
afaik, this doesn't happen with weakness policy

Onto my own question:
Is pin missile viable on mega beedrill?

Mega Camerupt, Mega Swampert.
edit: boltsandbombers woah you type fast, also I would'nt really call mega venu a check since most thund sets either run focus blast or psychic

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Mega Camerupt, Mega Swampert.
edit: boltsandbombers woah you type fast, also I would'nt really call mega venu a check since most thund sets either run focus blast or psychic
Well Focus Blast isn't effective and Psychic isn't common on Thundurus. Unless it's an HP Flying variant in Nasty Plot sets more often than not it'll check the most common of sets being Tbolt, Hp Ice, Focus blast, thunder wave

Protect is the most reliable option, however, even when it's almost useless outside of mega evolving.
You aren't playing protect right if you find it mostly useless outside of MEVOing when it makes a wonderful scout against Scarf Lando-T being able to either lock him into an EQ, and switch in a flying/levitate mon, or figuring out he is planning to use U-turn and nail the switch in hard. Same with scouting out a choice Scizor, locking it into BP and switching in Rotom-W. Lots of choice locked mons, usually surprise scarvers, love to revenge or check MDiancie is what I notice, and with SR protect makes a wonderful way to call their bluff (especially Lando-T so you can notice that lefties recoveries without giving him the chance to set rocks on your field.)

It has other uses as well in being able to lure and kill things that think they can kill Diancie before MEVO like Heatran/Bisharp/Keldeo - in some cases it can be clutch in wasting a turn of weather and of course baiting Mega Lop into HJK. Protect has a lot of utility if used right, especially if you play a volt-turn team because of the games it can cause and the constant switching which you can easily use to your advantage. Some players also like pairing it with Ferrothorn to wrack up passive damage.

They key thing I find when using Mega Diancie with protect is her weaknesses are very easily covered, a plain FWG core works, and since she baits a lot of attacks protect can ease prediction to the appropriate mon - many of which work well alongside her namely Rotom-W and Talonflame.

Last edited:
Anyone experimented and have a good mixed Greninja set? No idea what Evs to use besides max speed, and having trouble deciding the moves.

Currently thinking Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Low Kick/Gunk Shot, but am also interested in U-Turn and HP Fire.

Anyone experimented and have a good mixed Greninja set? No idea what Evs to use besides max speed, and having trouble deciding the moves.

Currently thinking Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Low Kick/Gunk Shot, but am also interested in U-Turn and HP Fire.
The spread most people use is:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

40 Attack EV's allow you to OHKO AV Azumarill with Gunk Shot, while the rest maximise its offensive capabilities. Naive>Hasty because of physical priority attacks such as Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet and Mach Punch.

TBH with Greninja, adapt it to your team. Greninja is currently the best 'ditto' in the tier. It'll fit whatever your team needs it to be. If you're weak to Ferrothorn, HP Fire might be worthwhile to use, for example.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Can u list pokemons that can use defog and rapid spin ?
(good for ou ladder)
thank you
Gliscor, Latias, Latios, Mandibuzz, Mew, Scizor, Skarmory, Zapdos Togekiss, Empoleon, Flygon, Excadrill, Starmie and Tentacruel.

What's a good switch in for Azumarill considering you don't know if it's running a Choice Band, Belly Drum, or Assault Vest set? From my experience Amoonguss doesn't take +4 Play Rough very well.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's a good switch in for Azumarill considering you don't know if it's running a Choice Band, Belly Drum, or Assault Vest set? From my experience Amoonguss doesn't take +4 Play Rough very well.
Amoonguss can take 2 banded play roughs, although not very well, but loses if azu belly drums on the switch as they tend to run knock off which OHKOs at +6. As always, Rotom-W is a solid switch in, but takes a solid chunk from banded play rough. Ferrothorn is a soft check because banded sets always run superpower and that is a really obvious switch in lol.
Mega slowbro is a solid answer thanks to its gargantuan defense stat. A lot of the time it's just a mind game for the banded set whether it will go for play rough or a waterfall. Oh also Celebi is a nice check.

Anyone want to tell me why Thunderous is S in the OU right now? I understand the prankster priority Thunderwave is good and that it has really solid movepool but it has terrible defences.

Not to mention it is weak to rocks.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyone want to tell me why Thunderous is S in the OU right now? I understand the prankster priority Thunderwave is good and that it has really solid movepool but it has terrible defences.

Not to mention it is weak to rocks.
Basically, in early ORAS Thundurus was moved to S rank due to the prevalence of Greninja and the new fast mega evolutions that people couldn't find a better way to handle aside from just prankster twave. Now that the meta has settled down and with ninja leaving soon, it will most likely move to a+, also note that having a stealth rock weakness doesn't keep something out of s rank, as mega Pinsir (I think) and charizard (I know) were both in s rank at some point.

Basically, in early ORAS Thundurus was moved to S rank due to the prevalence of Greninja and the new fast mega evolutions that people couldn't find a better way to handle aside from just prankster twave. Now that the meta has settled down and with ninja leaving soon, it will most likely move to a+, also note that having a stealth rock weakness doesn't keep something out of s rank, as mega Pinsir (I think) and charizard (I know) were both in s rank at some point.
Not to mention that having relatively low weaknesses is not a reason to be kept out of S-rank either. Fuck, just look at Greninja. I think it's a pretty legit debate as to whether Thundy should be S or A+ and I'm kinda leaning towards the A+ side, but it certainly offers a ton of support, versatility, power and unpredictability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)