Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V3 - Read Post 3451 Page 139

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering about Mega Latios, I find it more unviable than every other C rank mons in most situations because there is like little to no situations that someone would use it, heck I think is the most unviable mega in the whole ranking,(LO Latios hitting harder and Mega Latias being much better CM user as a reason), I think it should drop at least to C-.
Yeah this has been brought up like a billion times and each time most everyone's agreed to it, no argument's been given to the contrary but it still hasn't been moved down. It's only niche, and literally only niche because I haven't seen anyone bring up the merits of any other sets, is a slightly bulkier slightly less powerful Latios that isn't weak to Knock Off but takes up a massively valuable Mega Slot. I see that on the level of D or E personally; but seeing it still as high as C is just... what?

Yeah this has been brought up like a billion times and each time most everyone's agreed to it, no argument's been given to the contrary but it still hasn't been moved down. It's only niche, and literally only niche because I haven't seen anyone bring up the merits of any other sets, is a slightly bulkier slightly less powerful Latios that isn't weak to Knock Off but takes up a massively valuable Mega Slot. I see that on the level of D or E personally; but seeing it still as high as C is just... what?
Well if I recall the real gist of the argument was that its natural strengths, stats + movepool + levitate, are more or less what carries it on the ranking. Yeah you may not have any real justification to use it over the normal forms but just by its natural strength alone it is a cut above the rest that it at least is still stronger than many lower tier mons.

Well if I recall the real gist of the argument was that its natural strengths, stats + movepool + levitate, are more or less what carries it on the ranking. Yeah you may not have any real justification to use it over the normal forms but just by its natural strength alone it is a cut above the rest that it at least is still stronger than many lower tier mons.
I... don't quite follow how that factors in. On that merit a lot of things should be higher than their current ranks just for being 'stronger'; the way I saw it the Viability Rankings reflected how often something should be considered for your team (or something along those lines).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Can nidoking even take an aqua jet from azumaril CB and take it

Maybe this is me but I think nidoking would fair better if he could be more predictable.

He can't really afford to go mixed in ou but once You know which he is its easy to throw a wall in his face and benefit by setting up rocks or whatever.

If he could come in we know his go to play book not have to read into his switch I and force some switches he could play around with his T-spikes or rocks. Sadly he lacks any impressive boosting moves, even bulk up would be awesome on him. He has a deep bag of tricks but many things are just to bulky.

<3 nidoking tho

I think Mega Latios is fine to stay where it is. In a vacuum, there's nothing inherently wrong with it; in fact it is probably better than Vanilla Latios when comparing the two. The issue is that in a Meta where so any things are fighting for the Mega slot, and the rise of things like Weavile, Scizor and Metagross makes Latios trickier to fit on teams in the first place, there's very few teams that benefit more from using Mega Latios not even in place of regular Latios, but just for itself.

Mega Latios is just in an odd position where it's pretty good mon on its own merits, and yet there is borderline no reason/room for most teams to use it in this Meta. It's a matter of his negatives outweighing his positives in the context of the meta (the Mega Slot competition mainly) than in discussing the mon itself, as opposed to, say, Cresselia always being a passive wall no matter what Metagame it was put in.

I... don't quite follow how that factors in. On that merit a lot of things should be higher than their current ranks just for being 'stronger'; the way I saw it the Viability Rankings reflected how often something should be considered for your team (or something along those lines).
Well he isn't outright removed because he more or less is Latios 2.0 he more or less is the same thing so not like he would be replete of roles if ever -- he will do what Latios does but to a lesser degree in terms of versatility. It is not a matter of being stronger in so much that it the base is good enough to carry him through. As for any merit using him he's a luxury at best, an after thought.

Just think of him like Blissey more or less.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Lord Xen III and Team Pokepals you can assume they're staying where they are for the time being. Under normal circumstances it will be pretty obvious if something is going up or down when someone in the ranking chat group argues a case for it. Neither of the things you mentioned were strongly advocated or in the case of regular heracross have gotten mentions in our convos. Kyuremb from when I asked team is leaning towards staying. Heracross hasnt really fostered a whole lot of discussion and outside of some debates we have such as rotoms, mega venu, and some of the middle stuff here and there it has been pretty quiet with a firm position in stuff staying where they are. Everything is subject to change but for example infernape Id relax a bit more than the thread itself is portraying cause team isnt as hyped as most people here are about it moving up. Food for thought and discussion I suppose.

Gonna add regular diancie in E rank later. Was meaning to do that awhile back but have been busy and now I remembered. Rules for E rank still apply and I wont be changing them so read rule about it, shown in the post it says in the title of thread.

I think Mega Latios is fine to stay where it is. In a vacuum, there's nothing inherently wrong with it; in fact it is probably better than Vanilla Latios when comparing the two. The issue is that in a Meta where so any things are fighting for the Mega slot, and the rise of things like Weavile, Scizor and Metagross makes Latios trickier to fit on teams in the first place, there's very few teams that benefit more from using Mega Latios not even in place of regular Latios, but just for itself.

Mega Latios is just in an odd position where it's pretty good mon on its own merits, and yet there is borderline no reason/room for most teams to use it in this Meta. It's a matter of his negatives outweighing his positives in the context of the meta (the Mega Slot competition mainly) than in discussing the mon itself, as opposed to, say, Cresselia always being a passive wall no matter what Metagame it was put in.
That was something I was wanting to discuss a little but further, I know the mon in itself is not bad, but since the list should reflect how viable a mon is I find it not belonging to C, and this is not different for other mons, lets take for example Ludicolo, who in itself could be a good choice in rain, but the thing is that with better options available and outclassing him is difficult to put it in rain teams, which is why it struggles going, the case with Mega Latios is that aside from that is also using a mega spot.
Well he isn't outright removed because he more or less is Latios 2.0 he more or less is the same thing so not like he would be replete of roles if ever -- he will do what Latios does but to a lesser degree in terms of versatility. It is not a matter of being stronger in so much that it the base is good enough to carry him through. As for any merit using him he's a luxury at best, an after thought.

Just think of him like Blissey more or less.
The main problem is that if you want to use Blissey you don't give your mega spot, if you needed to do that Blissey would be much lower, which is how I feel about Mega Latios.

The main problem is that if you want to use Blissey you don't give your mega spot, if you needed to do that Blissey would be much lower, which is how I feel about Mega Latios.
That is why he is considered more or less a luxury, or an after thought at best with regard to the mega slot. At the very least using him on a mega slot doesn't put you at THAT distinct a disadvantage in so much that it won't require much support to get it going.

That is why he is considered more or less a luxury, or an after thought at best with regard to the mega slot. At the very least using him on a mega slot doesn't put you at THAT distinct a disadvantage in so much that it won't require much support to get it going.
So basically he is a mega which avaibility is only doable if by some odd reason you don't need or are not going to use another mega,on top of having slightly less power than its base form and facing competition from its sister, that seems very unviable to me and definetely less than C rank if you ask me.

It is a luxury for sure, but never I have considered to use him over using its regular form plus another mega, in X/Y it would have been usable for sure, but with M-Chars,M-gross,M-Diancie,M-Altaria,M-Pinsir,M-Manectric,M-Crobro,M-Sableye,etc; I find almost impossible to justify its use.

Wait, wasn't the Nidos unranked before because Lando-I outclassed them in 99%?
Now why would Mega Latios be ranked, when non-Mega Latios outclass it in every offensive way? And Mega Latias outclass it defensively?
I support dropping M-Latios to D or even as far as E.
Sry for short post. But I think all the other reasons for a M-Latios has been mentioned by now.

Wait, wasn't the Nidos unranked before because Lando-I outclassed them in 99%?
Now why would Mega Latios be ranked, when non-Mega Latios outclass it in every offensive way? And Mega Latias outclass it defensively?
I support dropping M-Latios to D or even as far as E.
Sry for short post. But I think all the other reasons for a M-Latios has been mentioned by now.
It has a slightly lower damage output but doesn't take life orb recoil, plus it's not as weak to knock off. For reference, mlatios has 10 more defense and 10 less special defense than regular latias. So you're basically getting a latios with similar bulk to latias and only slightly lower damage output than regular LO version. It's a luxury mega, but doesn't deserve to drop to D or E

Mega Latios is E rank material. Someone somewhere will u
It has a slightly lower damage output but doesn't take life orb recoil, plus it's not as weak to knock off. For reference, mlatios has 10 more defense and 10 less special defense than regular latias. So you're basically getting a latios with similar bulk to latias and only slightly lower damage output than regular LO version. It's a luxury mega, but doesn't deserve to drop to D or E
This reasoning works for me... except that using Mega Latios means that you can't use another mega. That trade off makes him E rank.

The whole mega argument isn't really that good... of course it reduces a pokemon's splashability if it's a mega - but does that mean we should drop mega metagross and altaria because you can't use another mega when you use them? I think there needs to be a clear definition on the whole mega opportunity cost argument because at the moment it applies to some things but not others.

If you don't have another mega, Mega Latios can be run and it can do its role well. It should be judged primarily on how viable it is.

The whole mega argument isn't really that good... of course it reduces a pokemon's splashability if it's a mega - but does that mean we should drop mega metagross and altaria because you can't use another mega when you use them? I think there needs to be a clear definition on the whole mega opportunity cost argument because at the moment it applies to some things but not others.

If you don't have another mega, Mega Latios can be run and it can do its role well. It should be judged primarily on how viable it is.
By that logic mega Latios should be ranked higher than Latios because it's basically a better Latios. The opportunity cost of using a mega stone is included in our rankings, and that's why he's ranked lower (and also why he should be ranked MUCH lower).

Exactly, Mega Latios is essentially a better Latios. The opportunity cost for using it is huge but to what extent should that affect its placement? You have to take its abilities into account, it's a direct upgrade to an A+ Pokemon with the downside of using a Mega slot, and I don't think D-rank reflects that.

This is completely different from Lando and Nidos. Nidos were hopelessly outclassed, Mega Latios is actually better than Latios.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Mega Latios does not only suffer competition from regular Latios in terms of power, but also competition from Mega Latias in terms of bulk. Mega Latios is bulkier than Latios, but as a bulky attacker a rather use Mega Latias. Only thing Mega Latios has over Mega Latias is more attack (160 SpA vs 140 SpA) while you give up on 20 Def, 30 SpD, Reflect Type and Healing Wish. The only niche Mega Latios has is that it hits slightly harder than Mega Latias and it is bulkier than regular Latios. C is fine.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Terrakion is a tough case, but I think it belongs to A-. Terrakion was dropped all the way down to B+ at early ORAS, the reasons were obvious, Gliscor was spammed, Landorus-T best set at that time was the defensive rocks variant, Mega Slowbro was seen like everywhere, Mega Gallade was overhyped and it was even proposed to be S, and this hampered Terrakion since it was an offensive check to it, not to say that Greninja outsped it and Landorus could take a hit and retaliate back. Since then, Terrakion became BL, went to B+ really fast and was never brought up again. Now the metagame has changed drastically, Landorus and Greninja are gone, Gliscor's usage isn't that high anymore, Landorus-T's best sets at the moment are the offensive ones, Mega Slowbro hasn't seen much usage as of late and Mega Gallade in the end became BL and in the same rank as Terrakion lol. The metagame since then has changed a lot and it's in Terrakion's favor. Yes, it undeniably has somewhat of a Speed problem, as it's outsped by notorius threats such as Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, Gengar, Mega Lopunny, etc. But do you know who is A+ and it's also outsped by them? Keldeo. You could argue that Keldeo has a fantastic Scarf set to avoid this kind of problem, but Terrakion does too, and it has high powered STABs to back it up. Yeah Keldeo has Hydro Pump too but it's unreliable for cleaning, and let's be honest here, how many times did you click Scald before Hydro Pump? exactly. Terrakion also doesn't rely on burning things to wallbreak, instead he takes his brutal power and blows something back + isn't Starmie bait to spin your hazards. I'm going to stop the Keldeo vs Terrakion comparison here as they're not really comparable besides them sharing the fighting-type lol, obviously Keldeo is more viable than it thanks to great defensive typing and the ability to invalidate counters thanks to burns. Alright so let's see how many fighting types we have on the S to A- ranks. Two. Mega Lopunny (who takes a mega slot) and Keldeo. Alright, Terrakion might face competitions from other MEGA fighting types which reside in B+. However, there are like 16 megas that aren't fighting types in the S to A- ranks. Most of the time I'd rather have a Terrakion with something like Mega Altaria for example than Mega Heracross and be forced to support it. Let's compare Terrakion with something on A- rank. Volcarona for example has earned a solid spot in the A- ranks, and it's hard not to see why, a lot of teams are 6-0'd by this thing lol. But it needs huge support in hazard removal, and being able to dispatch of his counters. Sometimes from the start Volcarona is just dead weight and won't do anything because there is a pokemon that walls it, say Heatran, so you need to support it with lures unless you can afford to run a Dugtrio lol, and the opponent can see this by the make up of your team so it might not even work. But you know what? Terrakion doesn't need that much support, the only thing you need is probably Keldeo, Mega Metagross switch-ins, which are big threats and everyone should be prepared for them already. Terrakion won't never be deadweight, it always can do something. Proof:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 218-257 (55.3 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is the bulkiest thing you will find to wall Terrakion, and it doesn't usually pack that much defense because it rathers patch up his mediocre special defense, Mega Slowbro's defense is high as it is anyways. This means that Terrakion will be able to do something if you give him a try. Yes Volcarona sweeps certain teams from the start, but if for example you don't have HP Ground and you're not able to lure Heatran you're in trouble.
So in the current meta we have two main playstyles at the moment, Hippowdon balance and Offense. Terrakion is able to lure Hippowdon and other stuff if you get to SD, and that is huge since Hippowdon is used to check a lot of threats and removing it from the match means no rocks for the opponent and the lose of Hippowdon, a big defensive threat to any team. Then we have offense, which Terrakion kinda struggles unless it runs a Choice Scarf. However if you get him safely something is losing atleast 50% to the Life Orb variant. Yup the rise of Tornadus-T, Thundurus and Alakazam annoys it, he can't set-up on every game, that would be just theorymoning how Terrakion can easily blow his counters, and that's not true, he can't set-up in every game, that's a fact. But that's why I'm nominating it to A- rank and not A+ lol. If I don't get him to A- rank atleast let's just discuss it for a bit, he hasn't been brought up by a while, give him a try. By the way, if I'm missing something that really hampers Terrakion and didn't say it, feel free to notice me.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Terrakion is a tough case, but I think it belongs to A-. Terrakion was dropped all the way down to B+ at early ORAS, the reasons were obvious, Gliscor was spammed, Landorus-T best set at that time was the defensive rocks variant, Mega Slowbro was seen like everywhere, Mega Gallade was overhyped and it was even proposed to be S, and this hampered Terrakion since it was an offensive check to it, not to say that Greninja outsped it and Landorus could take a hit and retaliate back. Since then, Terrakion became BL, went to B+ really fast and was never brought up again. Now the metagame has changed drastically, Landorus and Greninja are gone, Gliscor's usage isn't that high anymore, Landorus-T's best sets at the moment are the offensive ones, Mega Slowbro hasn't seen much usage as of late and Mega Gallade in the end became BL and in the same rank as Terrakion lol. The metagame since then has changed a lot and it's in Terrakion's favor. Yes, it undeniably has somewhat of a Speed problem, as it's outsped by notorius threats such as Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, Gengar, Mega Lopunny, etc. But do you know who is A+ and it's also outsped by them? Keldeo. You could argue that Keldeo has a fantastic Scarf set to avoid this kind of problem, but Terrakion does too, and it has high powered STABs to back it up. Yeah Keldeo has Hydro Pump too but it's unreliable for cleaning, and let's be honest here, how many times did you click Scald before Hydro Pump? exactly. Terrakion also doesn't rely on burning things to wallbreak, instead he takes his brutal power and blows something back + isn't Starmie bait to spin your hazards. I'm going to stop the Keldeo vs Terrakion comparison here as they're not really comparable besides them sharing the fighting-type lol, obviously Keldeo is more viable than it thanks to great defensive typing and the ability to invalidate counters thanks to burns. Alright so let's see how many fighting types we have on the S to A- ranks. Two. Mega Lopunny (who takes a mega slot) and Keldeo. Alright, Terrakion might face competitions from other MEGA fighting types which reside in B+. However, there are like 16 megas that aren't fighting types in the S to A- ranks. Most of the time I'd rather have a Terrakion with something like Mega Altaria for example than Mega Heracross and be forced to support it. Let's compare Terrakion with something on A- rank. Volcarona for example has earned a solid spot in the A- ranks, and it's hard not to see why, a lot of teams are 6-0'd by this thing lol. But it needs huge support in hazard removal, and being able to dispatch of his counters. Sometimes from the start Volcarona is just dead weight and won't do anything because there is a pokemon that walls it, say Heatran, so you need to support it with lures unless you can afford to run a Dugtrio lol, and the opponent can see this by the make up of your team so it might not even work. But you know what? Terrakion doesn't need that much support, the only thing you need is probably Keldeo, Mega Metagross switch-ins, which are big threats and everyone should be prepared for them already. Terrakion won't never be deadweight, it always can do something. Proof:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 218-257 (55.3 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is the bulkiest thing you will find to wall Terrakion, and it doesn't usually pack that much defense because it rathers patch up his mediocre special defense, Mega Slowbro's defense is high as it is anyways. This means that Terrakion will be able to do something if you give him a try. Yes Volcarona sweeps certain teams from the start, but if for example you don't have HP Ground and you're not able to lure Heatran you're in trouble.
So in the current meta we have two main playstyles at the moment, Hippowdon balance and Offense. Terrakion is able to lure Hippowdon and other stuff if you get to SD, and that is huge since Hippowdon is used to check a lot of threats and removing it from the match means no rocks for the opponent and the lose of Hippowdon, a big defensive threat to any team. Then we have offense, which Terrakion kinda struggles unless it runs a Choice Scarf. However if you get him safely something is losing atleast 50% to the Life Orb variant. Yup the rise of Tornadus-T, Thundurus and Alakazam annoys it, he can't set-up on every game, that would be just theorymoning how Terrakion can easily blow his counters, and that's not true, he can't set-up in every game, that's a fact. But that's why I'm nominating it to A- rank and not A+ lol. If I don't get him to A- rank atleast let's just discuss it for a bit, he hasn't been brought up by a while, give him a try. By the way, if I'm missing something that really hampers Terrakion and didn't say it, feel free to notice me.
This is an exaggeration of its abilities. Yes the Keldeo comparison wasn't very fair because you're talking about one mon who's dependency on contact moves, Terrakion, is hindered by the ominpresent tankchomp on a majority of teams to net the majority of its damage. Not going nitpick your comparison cause it's really just pointless to explain why it made 0 sense outside of showing they're fighting types and fall under the same speed tier.

The Mega Slowbro calc is unrealistic and puts the position in such a great manner on the Terrakion users part that ignores the fact that Terrakion is going to be removed that next turn. Your Volcarona comparison I find falls flat when Volcaronas checks and counters are limited to very passive walls such as Chansey or so specific in what moveset it's running thus necessitating either strong priority users such as Azumarill who are technically still not safe, Talonflame, Scarf users, or mindgames with Char-X. Terrakion might be good but Volcaronas threat control is going to be at a much higher rate due to its ability to boost 2 stats it's already strong in and one that just powers up its countermeasure against specially offensive attackers, giving it a good match up against both offense and balance at the same time.

Terrakion is going to need more support than you give it credit for. It's going to need a consistent priority switch in when it makes itself vulnerable through Close Combat stat drops, it's going to need to get SD up to even think about breaking the majority of the defensive cores in the meta, if it's Scarf it'll have an inability to even break your standard teams thus putting it at the role of a cleaner, a role that is not even close to warranting a move up where it's considered that its Life Orb variant is the most effective set right now. It should stay in B+ if not for its own abilities for the fact it's not on the level of half the A- stuff in terms of role compression and utility and doesn't highly surpass effectiveness that would put it above half the B+ stuff.

I can't see Terrakion rising to A- as of now. There are too many common threats in the metagame that shut it out. As you said, the offensive Lando sets are rising, all of which can take a Stone Edge and retaliate with an OHKO. After a sub is used Stone Edge actually procs Salac Berry, so that set makes Terrakion into set up fodder. Right now the entire S rank tears Terrakion up, either outright like Clefable, Mega Altaria, or Mega Metagross, or after a boost in the case of Megazard X. A massive portion of the A+ rank also beats Terrakion, and if we are looking at a fighting type that can set up a Swords Dance and sweep, I would rather use Heracross as it can break the stall threats far more effectively than Terrakion (I know it is slower but I do not hold the 109 speed tier in high regards).

Terrakion shouldn't rise; just scrolling through the rankings I believe this even more now. It is full of Pokemon that are both faster and can OHKO it, or are slower but have a defensive typing that Terrakion doesn't like. Personally I think that the Taunt/SR lead Terrakion set is currently the best, and even that is not that great considering the higher speed tier mons and fair number of Magic Bounce users.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
This is an exaggeration of its abilities. Yes the Keldeo comparison wasn't very fair because you're talking about one mon who's dependency on contact moves, Terrakion, is hindered by the ominpresent tankchomp on a majority of teams to net the majority of its damage. Not going nitpick your comparison cause it's really just pointless to explain why it made 0 sense outside of showing they're fighting types and fall under the same speed tier.

The Mega Slowbro calc is unrealistic and puts the position in such a great manner on the Terrakion users part that ignores the fact that Terrakion is going to be removed that next turn. Your Volcarona comparison I find falls flat when Volcaronas checks and counters are limited to very passive walls such as Chansey or so specific in what moveset it's running thus necessitating either strong priority users such as Azumarill who are technically still not safe, Talonflame, Scarf users, or mindgames with Char-X. Terrakion might be good but Volcaronas threat control is going to be at a much higher rate due to its ability to boost 2 stats it's already strong in and one that just powers up its countermeasure against specially offensive attackers, giving it a good match up against both offense and balance at the same time.

Terrakion is going to need more support than you give it credit for. It's going to need a consistent priority switch in when it makes itself vulnerable through Close Combat stat drops, it's going to need to get SD up to even think about breaking the majority of the defensive cores in the meta, if it's Scarf it'll have an inability to even break your standard teams thus putting it at the role of a cleaner, a role that is not even close to warranting a move up where it's considered that its Life Orb variant is the most effective set right now. It should stay in B+ if not for its own abilities for the fact it's not on the level of half the A- stuff in terms of role compression and utility and doesn't highly surpass effectiveness that would put it above half the B+ stuff.
I admitted that the comparison wasn't fair, it's obvious, I just wanted to point out that both of them attract dangerous mons and it doesn't matter because you have to prepare for them anyway. Yea the low bp thing got out of hand, shouldn't have said that lol. Why even mention tank chomp if it's 2HKOed by Close Combat? it's not as annoyed by it as say, Talonflame, which needs to hit it twice even with a SD under its belt.

When did I say Terrakion beats Mega Slowbro? With that I just wanted to mean that it is capable of not being deadweight even against this defensive monster, it's obviously not going to beat it, and if you get it to 40%, Terrakion his did job so something like Zard-X can come in and clean up the game. I already know Volcarona was good and probably better than Terrakion, but the fact that it needs these priority users gone and certain counters out the way, coupled with removing hazards, which isn't that easy as most defoggers are weak to SR and spinners like Starmie can get pursuit'd and the others don't have realible recovery...

Priority is a problem for a lot of mons, atleast Terrakion resists Sucker Punch and isn't weak to Brave Bird unlike most fighting types but w/e.

I can't see Terrakion rising to A- as of now. There are too many common threats in the metagame that shut it out. As you said, the offensive Lando sets are rising, all of which can take a Stone Edge and retaliate with an OHKO. After a sub is used Stone Edge actually procs Salac Berry, so that set makes Terrakion into set up fodder. Right now the entire S rank tears Terrakion up, either outright like Clefable, Mega Altaria, or Mega Metagross, or after a boost in the case of Megazard X. A massive portion of the A+ rank also beats Terrakion, and if we are looking at a fighting type that can set up a Swords Dance and sweep, I would rather use Heracross as it can break the stall threats far more effectively than Terrakion (I know it is slower but I do not hold the 109 speed tier in high regards).

Terrakion shouldn't rise; just scrolling through the rankings I believe this even more now. It is full of Pokemon that are both faster and can OHKO it, or are slower but have a defensive typing that Terrakion doesn't like. Personally I think that the Taunt/SR lead Terrakion set is currently the best, and even that is not that great considering the higher speed tier mons and fair number of Magic Bounce users.
I could do this with Keldeo too. Loses to Altaria, boosted Zard-X, Clefable, Mega Metagross and a massive portion of the A ranks too. Does it make it bad? No because it can circunvent them in one way or another, like Terrakion. Taunt SR lead is kinda... bad don't use it really it just sets up rocks and dies and it's easy to predict from team preview :/

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I mostly agree with AM, SD+RP adamant life orb terrak is prolly the best set in this meta and its power to annihilate both styles is nice, but its very team dependent to cover its weaknesses and bring it in safely. It's versatile and all but not in the way you quite want it to be as all of its sets still have the same checks/counters. It's very far from independent, and altho all it needs are its stabs, its rock stab, stone miss, is always super "fun" to use. Adamant LO (and trust me adamant>>>jolly on LO) also gets outsped by chomper so that's a problem. A massive spike in usage of zam doesnt' rly help its case either. It shud stay B+

regarding kyu-b to A, i'm kind of on the fence. It does have a variety of sets (LO, scarf, CB) and many different moveslots to cover different checks, but its defensive typing i feel is rly bad. Being rocks weak sucks for it, and although LO has roost, realistically you will be clicking ice beam every free turn you get, not roosting. However it does need to be considered that it's an awesome check to manaphy that bulky offense and balance teams love, and we all know that manaphy's everywhere rn. Its used so much that it can very well be considered to be on the level of weavile and skarm. I think i'm fine whether it stays or drops, for now.

I could bring up sdef mandi counters zam and maybe shud rise because of that but hey y'all are still in the mindset that it's bad as long as aegi doesn't exist and that it can't actually check anything because rocks (this shouldn't be ur defogger) but if u guys find any other hard counter to Life orb zam/mega zam let me know!!
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Mandibuzz: 177-208 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 153-182 (50.3 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With all the altaria, zam, weavile, kyu-b, etc running around I continually find myself being tempted to use cb zor; its priority and typing are really useful considering some of the stuff people love to use in this meta. Perhaps moving zor to B+ wud be warranted, solely on metagame trends.

I agree, Terrakion should remain B+. All of its positives are outweighed by lots of inconvenient meta trends. I think an overlooked set though is the use of Air Balloon. Terrakion has come to my attention as one of the few beneficiaries of Knock Off spam, with Justified giving it Choice Band power for free, with the ability to switch moves. So Bisharp and Weavile have to be weary of using that move with Terrakion around. Air Balloon is nice because it can allow you to set up on a few things it couldn't before like Landorus-T, and you use Rock Polish for offensive teams, and Swords Dance for balance. I've also enjoyed using a Scarf set that still has Rock Polish on it, to fool people into thinking its speed is neutered after switching into a Knock Off. Terrakion doesn't need four attacks anyway, just its STABs and EQ suffice. That coverage with a scarf is good to have for revenging Metagross, Weavile, Manectric, +1 Char X, +1 Gyarados, Lopunny, and Tornadus-T. In this sense scarf Terrakion will be quite reliable between revenge killing sweepers or having a good switch into Knock Off users. But I still don't think it deserves A- yet.

Regarding Mega Glailie, your argument isn't terribly convincing if you believe it can go anywhere from D to B-. It's always been capable of the damage output you mentioned, but what rank does it deserve, and why does it deserve it in this meta?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
CakeOfTruth

A couple of things:

Firstly, it has been asked by the ranking team that if you are nominating a pokemon that is unranked to be ranked that you should provide replays to show its effectiveness.

Secondly, generally it makes more sense to nominate things to move up one sub rank at a time, unless there is a clear reason for a quick rise (i.e. release of a hidden ability in the case of say Serperior or Feraligatr). Considering that Mega Glalie was once ranked and was actually removed from the rankings and nothing has really changed for it, asking it to move up several ranks at once is just going to result in your nomination being taken less seriously. So on that note if you would like it to be ranked, you should probably send a PM to AM with your nomination of it for E rank with some arguments and replays (since E rank noms are not to be discussed in the thread).

Lastly, I'd just say that your arguments comparing to Kyurem-Black are pretty exaggerated. Yeah it's a powerful ice type wallbreaker, but it is not coverage dependent so much as relying on STAB (which is usually 3/4 of its moveset between Ice Shard, Return/Double-Edge, Explosion and Freeze-Dry) meaning that Mega Scizor is generally a hard stop whereas Kyurem-Black actually has movespace to run HP [Fire] and other coverage options (Iron Head for Clef, Outrage for STAB). So yeah Kyu-B is definitely quite a bit harder to switch into. On top of that yeah its bulk is crap with that defensive typing and Kyu-B not only has better defenses but a better defensive typing in Dragon. I really don't even think this is the best comparison, I think Mamoswine is a stronger comparison since they have basically the same coverage options and are physical attackers whereas Kyu-B is generally mixed. All in all I wouldn't be against seeing it in E rank but based on its multiple drawbacks and the opportunity cost of taking up a mega slot, mentioning B- is actually kind of ridiculous considering the thing never made it above D rank before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)