ORAS - The Contest Spectacular

Okay, I have an idea for movesets for contests, but I need to know a few things.

Startle versus nervousness. Some moves explicitly state Startle while others "prevent nervousness" Are these essentially one and the same in terms of concept?

What move types are safe to use in other contests? Like cool can use what other types without excitement penalty etc.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I have an idea for movesets for contests, but I need to know a few things.

Startle versus nervousness. Some moves explicitly state Startle while others "prevent nervousness" Are these essentially one and the same in terms of concept?

What move types are safe to use in other contests? Like cool can use what other types without excitement penalty etc.
when you startle a Pokemon it affects pokemon before you making them lose hearts, nervousness affects the Pokemon that appeal after you in some cases making them unable to move that turn. If a move prevents nervousness it just means your Pokemon can't be unnerved but it can be startled still. These pages on bulbapedia tell you which type of condition work in each contest and how the crowd reacts to them like how in coll contests you can use beauty and tough moves and the audience won't subtract a hearts. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cool_(condition)

You can actually win with a Mega Altaria, beat all Master Rank Contests First try. (I had max stats in everything and mostly moves of that type, but what won everything, including the battle against Lisia, was the Intro Score. It always triumphs! Also use Rainbow Pokeblocks.)

P.S.(It also works against Wallace!)

Last edited:
Are there stronger/other pokeblocks other than the ones listed here?
it'd be a letdown if the science behind making Pokeblocks/contest food was completely dummed down. I can appreciate the foolproof part of always getting something in return for putting something in, but if the berries are only classified as strong and weak flavors (with no secondary/tertiary flavors) and no interesting contest blocks to reflect the diversity you get, it kinda ruins half of the investment in doing well in contests.

I found one fantastic set to use in contests
(not my set, it was on GameFAQs)

Claydol
Cosmic Power
Ancient Power
Secret Power
Self-Destruct

Use the moves in this order:
1st round: Cosmic Power
2nd round: Ancient Power
3rd round: Cosmic Power (again)
4th round: Secret Power
5th round: Self-Destruct

Cosmic Power and Ancient Power both get Claydol really pumped up, and Secret Power is boosted tremendously the more pumped up you are so it wins a lot of points. And of course, Self-Destruct is the big finisher. After maxing out Claydol's conditions and giving it the scarves, it won every single contest it was in without fail. Baltoy learns Ancient Power at level 19, Cosmic Power at level 22 and Self-Destruct at Level 28, and Secret Power with the TM Aarune gives you, so just catch one, level it up some and you'll be ready to rock and roll.

If you want to quickly beat all the contests, please consider this.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After maxing out Claydol's conditions and giving it the scarves, it won every single contest it was in without fail.
that's all you need to do to win any in-game contest really, it's a joke how easy these things are and how simple it is to max stats now that sheen is gone. There were some contests where I barely got any hearts and the NPCs excited the crowd to do their special moves and I won off condition alone even in master rank and all I used was talisheo's advice from earlier and the cosplay pikachu with double team, thunderbolt, and thunder wave. Don't need special sets or mons just max your stats and you're set.

Small nitpick; it's when you leave Slateport

I would love to see this thread full of great pokeblock recipes and some seemingly unbeatable strategies sooner or later. I'll check back once I'm done with the main story as the gen III contests were / still are one of my favourite parts of the series (gonna transfer my Banette up from my original Sapphire to get even more ribbons ^_^ spite > curse > spite > curse > destiny bond for days...)
I actually finished a Gengar (Queen Boo) with those same moves plus Torment. Mainly cause Spite + Curse isn't a combo in Gen VI, but Torment + Spite and Torment + Destiny Bond is. I tend to go Curse, Spite, Torment, Spite, Destiny Bond or some variant. And it is so awesome to see Queen Boo Mega Evolve during the Contest.

I assume this is the right place to ask this, is there anywhere I can go to get a list of all the conditions for the gen 5 and 6 moves?
I don't know what good it does you to just have the Conditions without the effects, but here you go:

Hone Claws - Cute
Wide Guard - Tough
Guard Split - Clever
Power Split - Clever
Wonder Room - Clever
Psyshock - Beautiful
Venoshock - Beautiful
Autotomize - Beautiful
Rage Powder - Clever
Telekinesis - Clever
Magic Room - Clever
Smack Down - Tough
Storm Throw - Cool
Flame Burst - Beautiful
Sludge Wave - Tough
Quiver Dance - Beautiful
Heavy Slam - Tough
Synchronoise - Clever
Electro Ball - Cool
Soak - Cute
Flame Charge - Cool
Coil - Tough
Low Sweep - Clever
Acid Spray - Beautiful
Foul Play - Clever
Simple Beam - Cute
Entrainment - Cute
After You - Cute
Round - Beautiful
Echoed Voice - Beautiful
Chip Away - Tough
Clear Smog - Beautiful
Stored Power - Clever
Quick Guard - Cool
Ally Switch - Clever
Scald - Tough
Shell Smash - Tough
Heal Pulse - Beautiful
Hex - Clever
Sky Drop - Tough
Shift Gear - Clever
Circle Throw - Cool
Incinerate - Tough
Quash - Clever
Acrobatics - Cool
Reflect Type - Cool
Retaliate - Cool
Final Gambit - Tough
Bestow - Cute
Inferno - Beautiful
Water Pledge - Beautiful
Fire Pledge - Beautiful
Grass Pledge - Beautiful
Volt Switch - Cool
Struggle Bug - Cute
Bulldoze - Tough
Frost Breath - Beautiful
Dragon Tail - Tough
Work Up - Tough
Electroweb - Beautiful
Wild Charge - Tough
Drill Run - Tough
Dual Chop - Tough
Heart Stamp - Cute
Horn Leech - Tough
Sacred Sword - Cool
Razor Shell - Cool
Heat Crash - Tough
Leaf Tornado - Cool
Steamroller - Tough
Cotton Guard - Cute
Night Daze - Cool
Psystrike - Cool
Tail Slap - Cute
Hurricane - Tough
Head Charge - Tough
Gear Grind - Clever
Searing Shot - Cool
Techno Blast - Cool
Relic Song - Beautiful
Secret Sword - Beautiful
Glaciate - Beautiful
Bolt Strike - Beautiful
Blue Flare - Beautiful
Fiery Dance - Beautiful
Freeze Shock - Beautiful
Ice Burn - Beautiful
Snarl - Tough
Icicle Crash - Beautiful
V-create - Cool
Fusion Flare - Beautiful
Fusion Bolt - Cool
Flying Press - Tough
Mat Block - Cool
Belch - Tough
Rototiller - Tough
Sticky Web - Tough
Fell Stinger - Cool
Phantom Force - Cool
Trick-or-Treat - Cute
Noble Roar - Tough
Ion Deluge - Beautiful
Parabolic Charge - Clever
Forest’s Curse - Clever
Petal Blizzard - Beautiful
Freeze-Dry - Beautiful
Disarming Voice - Cute
Parting Shot - Cool
Topsy-Turvy - Clever
Draining Kiss - Cute
Crafty Shield - Clever
Flower Shield - Beautiful
Grassy Terrain - Beautiful
Misty Terrain - Beautiful
Electrify - Clever
Play Rough - Cute
Fairy Wind - Beautiful
Moonblast - Beautiful
Boomburst - Tough
Fairy Lock - Clever
King’s Shield - Cool
Play Nice - Cute
Confide - Cute
Diamond Storm - Beautiful
Steam Eruption - ????????????????
Hyperspace Hole - ????????????????
Water Shuriken - Cool
Mystical Fire - Beautiful
Spiky Shield - Tough
Aromatic Mist - Beautiful
Eerie Impulse - Clever
Venom Drench - Clever
Powder - Clever
Geomancy - Beautiful
Magnetic Flux - Clever
Happy Hour - Cute
Electric Terrain - Clever
Dazzling Gleam - Beautiful
Celebrate - Cute
Hold Hands - Cute
Baby-Doll Eyes - Cute
Nuzzle - Cute
Hold Back - Cool
Infestation - Cute
Power-Up Punch - Tough
Oblivion Wing - Cool
Thousand Arrows - ????????????????
Thousand Waves - ????????????????
Land’s Wrath - Beautiful
Light of Ruin - ????????????????
Origin Pulse - Beautiful
Precipice Blades - Cool
Dragon Ascent - Beautiful
Hyperspace Fury - ????????????????

Here I was doing research on contest combos and whatnot. Nexus basically hit the nail on the head. Once the condition is maxed out, you're already at half the total bar, and unless Lisia is a contestant any heart-gaining moves will work. To be extra safe, slap on a move like Healing Wish or Explosion for Round 5. Star Light and Lucarionite in 2-3 hours. Woohoo.

Aside from that, I feel like the NPCs are way nicer than Gen III as well. In Gen III half the competition uses startling or nervous moves, so you can always expect to lose at least a heart every turn. Now maybe someone uses a startle or nervous move once every two turns, usually something like Hyper Beam. Negative hearts are rare.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It was really frustrating to do Gen III & IV (especially III!) contests with imperfect Pokemon, for sure, so I'm glad sheen is deprecated, but that also made it challenging and super rewarding at the end. I think the talent round should be weighted more heavily, maybe 1:2 instead of 1:1, so at least strategy also plays a factor, not just shoving pokeblocks down your Pokemon's throat.

Hey, I wanted to breed a new "favorite" poke to use in all kinds of format in ORAS. So I bred a 6 31 IV Magic Guard Modest Abra (i wanted a male, but it was female... oh, wel...), max EV'd it (252 Sp.Att/Spd) and used it to finish the Pokemon League (didn't know that they changed their teams after Delta Episode...) and in the Maison (used a M-Kanga, Alakazam, Aegislash to beat Super Singles :) )...

... but this have nothing to do with the topic here, the Contests! I was yet to win the Master Rank in any categories, so I've tried using this beloved Alakazam of mine (kindly nicknamed as 'Kaz'). I noticed that Alakazam learns lots of different types contest moves, lacking just Tough ones (and almost no combos in ORAS...). So I maxed out all its Contest atributes with berries (so lame right now...), picked up the scarves and head to the contests hall.

Below the moves used:

Clever
- Calm Mind
- Confusion
- Psychic
- filler

Cool
- Psycho Cut
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Beam
- filler

Beautiful
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- filler
- filler

Cute
- Return
- Snore
- Rest
- filler

Tough
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Giga Impact
- filler

...as you can see, no strategy at all. Just high appealling moves and some others to finish (like Hypear Beam or Giga Impact). In the Tough case, there was just Fire Punch she could learn as 4-star-appeal move, so I used a Cool one with it.
Result: no problem AT ALL the 5 Hyper contests. The berries make you so much better than you adversaries at first that even without smart combos I've finished in first place by the end. The only time I've lost a competition was against my "rival" Altaria, that, like said in previous posts, abused on combos and Contest mechanics. But when I've challegend her again, I won (by a little, but I won).

My conclusion on that: as the hole game, contests now are so lame that they are just some time dull pastime.

But one cool thing after it: your relationship with this specific 'mon. When using him in in-game battles, all the messages are changed for a more... personal behavior. Everytime I made a super-effective hit I congratulate her, when she went for a critical hit a ghost-heart-thing appeared abover her head and, funnily enough: when she was going to faint due a combat damage, she endured with 1 HP remaining, almost as she used and "Endure".

It's not that groundbreaking thing, but it is an intersting post-game "prize" to congratulate you for this specific effort. Something like the nurse by the PokeCenter changing her message to you after you get the golden/black info card, but even funnier. :)

But one cool thing after it: your relationship with this specific 'mon. When using him in in-game battles, all the messages are changed for a more... personal behavior. Everytime I made a super-effective hit I congratulate her, when she went for a critical hit a ghost-heart-thing appeared abover her head and, funnily enough: when she was going to faint due a combat damage, she endured with 1 HP remaining, almost as she used and "Endure".

It's not that groundbreaking thing, but it is an intersting post-game "prize" to congratulate you for this specific effort. Something like the nurse by the PokeCenter changing her message to you after you get the golden/black info card, but even funnier. :)
Sorry to burst your bubble but those boosts and affects aren't from Contests. They're from maxing a pokemon's affection in Pokemon Amie.

Damn... it was so fun!
Intersting that I've never given any puff/item in Amie - does it increase with Contest blocks either?
No, at least i wouldn't think so.

I might be wrong about the whole thing since i've never gotten around to Contests. There's nothing on Serebii about it, but it might be something new? Your pokemon get a special animation when sent out in battle after winning a Master Contest so i wouldn't be that suprised in a way.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
In my experience, maxing out at least one Contest condition and winning up through the Master rank in at least one category has an effect similar to Pokemon-Amie. I ran through the Master rank with my competitive-spec'd Galvantula and Sceptile (with minor alterations to the movesets) before I started grinding with them, and despite the fact that I only ever played with Joltik and Grovyle once each in Pokemon-Amie, they wound up having EXP boosts way beyond what they should have and the option of doing that weird petting thing after they KO opposing mons, which isn't supposed to be possible until you've played with them a lot in Amie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)