ORAS Tier List V2.0

So how you will handle Surf on OR ? :(
I’m fine with HM slaves. I’d have prefered to use Ludicolo, but a Grass-only run of Sapphire would feel incredibly cheap, so HM slaves have to be allowed.

Also, wow Seedot sucks early game. No offensive moves until 14 is really painful.

Also, wow Seedot sucks early game. No offensive moves until 14 is really painful.
Just so you know, there is a guaranteed DexNav Seedot on Route 102 with Beat Up. Still very weak, but it obviously makes Seedot much more viable for in-game use to make a Level 14 more feasible, and thus Seedot should be judged based on that.

Just beat Flannery. Here’s my thoughts so far after steamrolling the fight I was most scared of.
Roselia with TSpikes and Venoshock is clearly going to wreck every major fight for the remainder of the game. Roselia has otherwise been kind of weak, taking more damage than the rest of my team and has 4MSS, and did nothing vs Wattson, but she took out Numel and Torkoal with only a bit of work.
Shroomish/Breloom with Poison Heal is definitely A-rank, maybe S. He levels easily and is basically an emergency I Win button. Plenty of coverage, utility moves, strong, bulky, and can be status-immune easily for important fights, plus has massive sustain for route clearing.
Seedot: I didn’t use the Beat Up one for some reason, so the early game switch grinding was a massive pain. I held him back until Nature Power, skipping Razor Leaf, which is not normal, but Nature Power has been surprisingly useful. Now he has Fake Out and Dig, which is great for stalling vs a Toxic’d enemy/damage in general. Good coverage, moderate power. Falling off a bit, but I think he’ll be fine until I can get a Leaf Stone.
Treeko: Solid. Doesn’t offer the utility powders/seeds I usually want from a Grass, but the right moves and stats for a sweeper. Fine at routes, has lived stuff I wouldn’t expect in major fights and returned the KO.
I also have a Gloom ATM, but I don’t plan to keep him long enough to evolve, so my comments on him will stop after this post. That said, Gloom is good, but I can definitely see where he’s going to fall off. C is right, he’s fine as a grass, but just somewhat more limited than others.

So far, I kind of feel like Roselia/Seedot/Treeko should be the same rank, with Shroomish one higher. I’ll post further thoughts after everyone has evolved to stage 3, I’ve caught Lileep and Tropius, and I’ve taken on more Camerupts.

Bump but figure it's worth something.

There has been extensive discussion and agreeing back in the original tier list of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald of Ralts moving to S tier. I think Ralts has a really strong case for S tier, given that the babying period for it has been overblown and Kirlia is by no means a dead weight Pokemon. But I'd imagine in ORAS, Ralts is even better because it has access to disarming voice at level 11 (and it bypasses accuracy checks so sand attack and double team is a lot more manageable), as well as losing its dark weakness (thus alleviating some of the Poochynea spam early game). Having an early access fairy type is very useful for team building too, as it'll help against the future dragon users massively

Bump but figure it's worth something.

There has been extensive discussion and agreeing back in the original tier list of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald of Ralts moving to S tier. I think Ralts has a really strong case for S tier, given that the babying period for it has been overblown and Kirlia is by no means a dead weight Pokemon. But I'd imagine in ORAS, Ralts is even better because it has access to disarming voice at level 11 (and it bypasses accuracy checks so sand attack and double team is a lot more manageable), as well as losing its dark weakness (thus alleviating some of the Poochynea spam early game). Having an early access fairy type is very useful for team building too, as it'll help against the future dragon users massively
The initial babying period isn't quite as bad, true, but it still hits a lull period before evolving into Gardevoir. (going off my very fuzzy memory) Still, its best STAB moves are available as soon as it evolves, with Psychic coming at level 30 and Moonblast being a heart scale away.

I think Ralts will need to be re-evaluated by several people before it can move up. (give it a fresh perspective rather than what people vaguely recall from a few years ago)

Sure, my sister is doing a playthrough of ORAS, hasn't done so in a while, but she did say Ralts was almost immediately useful, being able to laugh at Brawly's gym. There might be a falloff period during Kirlia, but it doesn't seem too bad, given the recent updates on it at the other thread. It certainly didn't stop Ralts from going S in gen III.

I might consider doing a run of Alpha Sapphire at one point, so is there any Pokemon anyone recommends?

Ralts is a solid A to me from when I used it. I don't think the baby period is quite as bad as people say, but it's certainly significant enough to not make it S in my eyes. Otherwise it's just a fantastic very solid mon.

(BUMP)

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a little over a year, but I want to know the general consensus when it comes to things such as the EXP share and the Shift/Set battle style. I don't know if it affects some tier placements (probably doesn't), but I want to know if it is better for players to keep some settings as they are or is it better to tamper with them (e.g. turning EXP share "Off") during their playthrough.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I once did a playthrough a few years ago with Exp. Share on and only fighting mandatory trainers (and the odd optional). When I got to the Pokémon League, I was very underlevelled with a team of 5/6 (like Lv40-42 low) and needed to grind to a more sane level to take on the league. Considering this, I don't see turning on Exp. Share to have any significant downsides from an objectivity standpoint (I would want to see what fighting more optionals would do for this, particularly in the lategame where there are so many optionals).

As for Shift/Set, it does not really matter. From a pure time perspective (e.g. speedruns) you want to do Set to avoid all the "X is about to use Y" textboxes, but from a turn perspective, Shift is better for instantly switching when needed. But in general, Shift vs. Set does not really matter as most entries for these things tend to look at the Pokémon in a vacuum of sorts (How does it individually handle a team or a specific Pokémon?).

I once did a playthrough a few years ago with Exp. Share on and only fighting mandatory trainers (and the odd optional). When I got to the Pokémon League, I was very underlevelled with a team of 5/6 (like Lv40-42 low) and needed to grind to a more sane level to take on the league. Considering this, I don't see turning on Exp. Share to have any significant downsides from an objectivity standpoint (I would want to see what fighting more optionals would do for this, particularly in the lategame where there are so many optionals).

As for Shift/Set, it does not really matter. From a pure time perspective (e.g. speedruns) you want to do Set to avoid all the "X is about to use Y" textboxes, but from a turn perspective, Shift is better for instantly switching when needed. But in general, Shift vs. Set does not really matter as most entries for these things tend to look at the Pokémon in a vacuum of sorts (How does it individually handle a team or a specific Pokémon?).
i fought optionals and didn't use the exp. share at all on one nuzlocke run. by doing that, i remember being at least level with the e4, possibly higher level wise than the proper four (steven outleveled me i think though). i do wonder if the exp. share can't at least be counted for mons like magikarp.

Popping into this thread just to say that I agree with these placements having having spammed a bunch of playthroughs recently.

I've just done an Fast Exp. Group run w/
Azumarill (Huge Power)
Mawile
Grumpig (destroys Glacia)
Wigglytuff
Dusclops w/ Eviolite

An argument can be made for Azumarill being S. Depending on team comp. this might be S but A is perfectly fine. Fast exp. group, good typing, pulls its weight immediately.
Magnemite should be S tier imo. A is fine though. Medium fast group Steel that destroys most threats, resists a shitton and pulls its own weight very fast as well.
Grumpig was a pleasant surprise. B looks fine.

Mawile borderline B imo.
Wigglytuff w/ competitive and dazzling is ok. Gimmicky at best.
Dusclops. Sucked, what a drag. Hex+status infliction can do something otherwise power-up punch. Very uninspiring.

Depending on whether the player uses exp. share or not, fossils as well as Milotic aren't that bad. Quick detour and ready to go.
Feebas is always under the bridge (day) or adjacent to the rock(night) before 6th badge.

Not sure I get Absol, Meditite, Makuhita.
Ralts should definitely not be S. A is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)