Metagame ORAS/XY PU (Serperior Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Garbodor should be banned from PU, it is a bulky hazard setter that is its useful spots! If you disagree, I totally respect your opinion. I think Garbodor should move up from PU to NU.(even better BL3) I use Garbodor in NU battles and RU battles.
As for Mega Camerupt. Camerupt itself is a bulky special sweeper, but its speed is low so a fast water type like Greninja can take it down with a single surf. A quick claw Camerupt is OK but is has no moves but Hidden Power Electric to fend against Water-types.
When mega evolved Camerupt gains a small bulk but still vulnerable so, even though Mega Camerupt is one of my favourite megas, I think it should stay in PU. (Then again if you disagree I respect your opinion)
As for Mega Glalie now is in BL3 so I won't have to do him... So yeah :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Garbodor should be banned from PU, it is a bulky hazard setter that is its useful spots! If you disagree, I totally respect your opinion. I think Garbodor should move up from PU to NU.(even better BL3) I use Garbodor in NU battles and RU battles.
As for Mega Camerupt. Camerupt itself is a bulky special sweeper, but its speed is low so a fast water type like Greninja can take it down with a single surf. A quick claw Camerupt is OK but is has no moves but Hidden Power Electric to fend against Water-types.
When mega evolved Camerupt gains a small bulk but still vulnerable so, even though Mega Camerupt is one of my favourite megas, I think it should stay in PU. (Then again if you disagree I respect your opinion)
As for Mega Glalie now is in BL3 so I won't have to do him... So yeah :)
The results of the suspect test are two posts up, so this is a little late. Also Greninja isn't in PU and a mega Camerupt can't hold a quick claw

Okay, now that's over... are we going to quickban Serperior when its hidden ability is released? I personally don't expect that the community will need to spend much time debating this one.

greninja isn't banned yet, and pls stay on topic @_@

anyway people should really talk about meta trends more in this thread. i'm gonna talk about the main replacement for garbodor (and soon to be regular glalie) for hyper offense teams:

SAMMYSONICFAN (Whirlipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Endeavor
- Protect

While Whirlipede is a really funny Pokemon, it's also a pretty decent one in PU now. It's now the only choice for a lead Toxic Spikes setter, and it does a pretty good job of it. While Whirlipede has a mediocre base 47 Speed, with Protect it is usually able to get up two layers or hazards or get up one layer and bring something down to 1 HP. At +3 Speed, Whirlipede outspeeds the entire unboosted tier, including Jolly Scarf Tauros, and it can outspeed every common Taunt user in the tier at +1, so it can get a layer of hazards up against them. Whirlipede's main flaws are that it is free setup for anything that has a way around Endeavor, including Carracosta, Misdreavus, and rarer stuff like Linoone. However, if you have a way around that, Whirlipede is a solid hazard setter for hyper offense that will become a lot more relevant in the near future.

Also Pawniard might drop next tier shift, which would make the 4 core members of Molk's legendary loke team Pawniard's Wrath legal in PU, which would be funny.

greninja isn't banned yet, and pls stay on topic @_@

anyway people should really talk about meta trends more in this thread. i'm gonna talk about the main replacement for garbodor (and soon to be regular glalie) for hyper offense teams:

SAMMYSONICFAN (Whirlipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Endeavor
- Protect

While Whirlipede is a really funny Pokemon, it's also a pretty decent one in PU now. It's now the only choice for a lead Toxic Spikes setter, and it does a pretty good job of it. While Whirlipede has a mediocre base 47 Speed, with Protect it is usually able to get up two layers or hazards or get up one layer and bring something down to 1 HP. At +3 Speed, Whirlipede outspeeds the entire unboosted tier, including Jolly Scarf Tauros, and it can outspeed every common Taunt user in the tier at +1, so it can get a layer of hazards up against them. Whirlipede's main flaws are that it is free setup for anything that has a way around Endeavor, including Carracosta, Misdreavus, and rarer stuff like Linoone. However, if you have a way around that, Whirlipede is a solid hazard setter for hyper offense that will become a lot more relevant in the near future.

Also Pawniard might drop next tier shift, which would make the 4 core members of Molk's legendary loke team Pawniard's Wrath legal in PU, which would be funny.

Blame the kid who tried to use Greninja as a example counter for Camerupt (I think, couldn't really get what he was saying) I also don't play OU that often, I used a really old OU team I made at the beginning of XY for giggles last night that had Greninja on it. I guess they do this whole suspect test thing or something and he isn't actually banned, i dont know and honestly don't care

While I prefer to use Roselia now for my spike stacking needs, this speedy sonofabitch is great for hyper offense teams, like you said. In the viability ranking he was nominated to B- rank, but after this great analysis I could see him go higher

Well, i miss the suspect voting because net issues, but, im fine with the result anyway.
Okay, now that's over... are we going to quickban Serperior when its hidden ability is released? I personally don't expect that the community will need to spend much time debating this one.
He doesnt seems that broken, Bou, Gogot, Zebra, Roselia and Sneasel keeps being good checks, maybe suspect worthy.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The usage stats are out. The tier has shifted again, we'll see how much soon enough.

Antar said:
Wobbuffet moved from NU to PU
Lopunny moved from RU to OU
Altaria moved from UU to OU
Gallade moved from RU to OU
Mantine moved from PU to NU
Glalie moved from PU to NU
Garbodor moved from BL4 to NU
Slurpuff moved from BL3 to RU
Camerupt moved from PU to NU
Quagsire moved from UU to RU
Mawile moved from UU to RU
Medicham moved from OU to UU*
Sharpedo moved from RU to UU
Pangoro moved from BL3 to RU
The most notable change was the fact that we lost 3 Pokemon that rose to NU: Glalie, Camerupt, and Mantine. The former two gained Mega Evolutions, so it should not be that surprising that NU would eventually claim them. Mantine was a bit of a loss, but being a decent check to Mega-Camerupt gave it a valuable niche for NU. Since Glalitite was banned, PU doesn't lose much from Glalie rising, except a suicide Spiker. Losing Camerupt wasn't very surprising, but that does mean that PU no longer has any Mega Evolutions, so Knock Off will likely rise even more in popularity. Rain took a blow with the loss of Mantine, though as a Defogger, PU has many other options. NU also gained Garbodor from BL4, and if it ever drops, it will simply return to BL4.

We gained Wobbuffet.

While this tier shift was a little extremely lame, don't forget that we have another tier shift next month. If NU usage remains roughly the same, we will lose Kecleon and Scyther and gain Probopass, Torkoal, Armaldo, Samurott, and Pawniard, which certainly would be an interesting tier shift, so we have that to look forward to.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also consider that we have a good chance of losing both Scyther and Kecleon to NU next month (the latter was 0.023% away from moving up this month). This is quite big as recently Volturn teams w/ scyther has increased in usage, also kecleon is the best priority user in this tier, so losing it would be a big shame. After that there looks like little left of oras; we are basically back to the xy changes with a few move tutor moves and a couple tier shifts. I predict that Rain Dance Poliwrath (credit to mag) will see a rise of usage now its greatest competition and counter is gone (mantine). If RU take camerupt, i can see mantine coming back down though.

Now that Shadow Tag is banned, Wobbuffet is completely useless. This is a pitty because it is actually a pretty good pokemon, and it doesn't deserve this. The only time Wobbuffet could be useful is if the opponent has only 1 pokemon left. If the opponent can switch Wobbuffet is useless, which is a pitty.

While this tier shift was a little extremely lame, don't forget that we have another tier shift next month. If NU usage remains roughly the same, we will lose Kecleon and Scyther and gain Probopass, Torkoal, Armaldo, Samurott, and Pawniard, which certainly would be an interesting tier shift, so we have that to look forward to.
Yay, some Steel-types better than Metang :) Really hoping that happens.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So right now the king of PU is undoubtedly Poliwrath. The usage stats must be lying because it is on about 80% of all good teams due to the number of things it can check. If you're feeling like a 20%, or if you can't fit Wrath on a team due to having a Water-type already, here's something that also checks Sneasel and a bunch of physical threats, while not being utter shit on offensive teams:

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Taunt

You can shift EVs to Special Defense or wherever, but I prefer them in Defense to make Sneasel's Ice Punch look like Powder Snow; Throh's HP is already very high so you probably get a lot more mileage out of physical defense. Throh is a very reliable pivot like Poliwrath but unlike the latter doesn't share poor defensive synergy with the likes of Simipour, Carracosta, Swanna, etc. The standard Bulk Up Throh loses a shitton of momentum and doesn't really fit on offensive teams, sadly. However by running a bit (yeah ok who am i kidding it's quite a lot but Throh is still bulky) of Speed and Taunt, Throh can threaten defensive mons while smacking mons hard. The Speed EVs outpace defensive Relaxed Poliwrath and everything below, including mons like Piloswine, Togetic (not defog bait anymore :]), Lickilicky, neutral base 50s etc so it can Taunt + Toxic them or just KO to prevent recovery.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Literally all that goes on in the PU room is complaining about Serperior, so i thought i would make a post here about it. Firstly, im not anty-ban (huehue), its just people are overstating how impossible it is.
(latter 2 being scarf ofc)
USE THESE. There are good Pokemon in this meta and they check serperior well, yes you have to sac something, but it prevents serperior from 6-0'ing
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 304-359 (104.4 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 324-384 (111.3 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 272-324 (93.4 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 212-252 (72.8 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Other scarfers:
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 369-437 (126.8 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tauros Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 186-220 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The latter two may not be great, but the former is really good and even sets up on serperior!!
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 88-104 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 75-91 (22 - 26.7%) -- 18.6% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Gogoat: 109-130 (24.2 - 28.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zebstrika: 122-144 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
And then
252+ Atk Bouffalant Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 169-201 (58 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sliggoo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 116-138 (39.8 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Gogoat cant rly touch it but hard walls hp rock serperior
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 278-330 (95.5 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
These are the worse situations since dragon pulse isnt that good for serp.

Other bulky resists also help check serperior

Serperior maybe broken, but you just have to learn to deal with it while it is here. It is centralising af, but so is sneasel (to a lesser extent) and possibly others like carracosta, which you have to bring specific checks or you flat out lose.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After some testing, the PU council has decided that Serperior's presence is hindering the development of the PU metagame and therefore it will be quick banned. The green snake is deemed to be so offensively potent, that the tier has insurmountable difficulty dealing with it without resorting to various Sap Sipper Pokemon and random revenge killers. Contrary Leaf Storm is virtually drawback free to use, and it's strong enough that it wears down the Pokemon that normally resists Grass attacks. The boosts it obtains from them allow it to eventually power through them. While PU has plenty of Sap Sipper Pokemon to absorb Leaf Storm, Serperior can even get around those with boosted Hidden Power and/or Gastro Acid. Since most of its checks are easy to wear down with their lack of reliable recovery, games typically resulted in Serperior sweeping through them late game.

Not only does Serperior shine in the fact that it outspeeds a large portion of the unboosted metagame, but it also fared well in what's considered to be an answer to offensive teams in the form of Sticky Web teams, only boosting its Speed stat even further with Contrary. It also deterred Defog users this way, all of which gave Contrary a lot of utility for it apart from Leaf Storm. Considering its current presence of the metagame, we feel that banning it will be the best course of action at this time.

Inb4 Servine makes a name here hue~

Last edited:
You can shift EVs to Special Defense or wherever, but I prefer them in Defense to make Sneasel's Ice Punch look like Powder Snow; Throh's HP is already very high so you probably get a lot more mileage out of physical defense.
Actually for mixed defensiveness you're slightly better off investing in HP as you get the same bulkiness from investing 228 HP EVs as you do from investing 124 in both defensive EVs thus saving 20 EVs.

Edit: 180 HP EVs and 24 in both defensive EVs is gives a 0.1% better still mixed bulk than the above.

Last edited:
use this thread more :[

Anyway, I want to talk about an interesting set I have been using lately:

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Offensive Roselia is actually pretty strong, and its bulk isn't nearly as lacking as I've expected it to be. I wanted a Toxic Spikes user for a certain team, but Whirlipede didn't really work on this particular team. I was also weak to Fighting-types, but defensive Roselia was way too passive for this team. While it's obviously not a powerhouse or anything, offensive Roselia actually hits pretty hard (it has the same base SpA as Tangela):

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 135-160 (47 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasel: 171-202 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 160-190 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not gonna ramble about this or anything but it's honestly a pretty cool set, you'd probably want to creep a bit but I obviously have no reason to post creep here. Give this set a try if you're ever missing out on Tspikes on non-hyper offense since Garbodor left, it works quite well.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
use this thread more :[

Anyway, I want to talk about an interesting set I have been using lately:

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Offensive Roselia is actually pretty strong, and its bulk isn't nearly as lacking as I've expected it to be. I wanted a Toxic Spikes user for a certain team, but Whirlipede didn't really work on this particular team. I was also weak to Fighting-types, but defensive Roselia was way too passive for this team. While it's obviously not a powerhouse or anything, offensive Roselia actually hits pretty hard (it has the same base SpA as Tangela):

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 135-160 (47 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasel: 171-202 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 160-190 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not gonna ramble about this or anything but it's honestly a pretty cool set, you'd probably want to creep a bit but I obviously have no reason to post creep here. Give this set a try if you're ever missing out on Tspikes on non-hyper offense since Garbodor left, it works quite well.
I like the set, but unlike Tangela Synthesis is a lot more necessary on Roselia because I usually find it more useful to keep coming in to check stuff. Is Sleep Powder really worth sacrificing Synthesis?

I like the set, but unlike Tangela Synthesis is a lot more necessary on Roselia because I usually find it more useful to keep coming in to check stuff. Is Sleep Powder really worth sacrificing Synthesis?
Yeah it has a decent amount of options it can run, I just posted what I used. This set does have a bit of 4mss, but Tspikes are a given since they're the entire reason I'm using Roselia, both STABs are also a given because it's an offensive set, and I used Sleep Powder in the last slot because sleep is broken, but Synthesis would work too. The thing with this set is that you don't usually need to check things more than once or twice per game since you're using it on offense, so Synthesis isn't really that necessary. I just really like sleep on it because it lets you 2HKO faster things that try to switch in that would otherwise force you out if you didn't sleep them (for example, you beat Ninetales switchins with sleep but can't without it).

Anty

let's drop
This thread should be revied IMO (ily mag). As with any meta, the metagame has been changing, and i have been spotting several trends. Firstly:

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall / Scald
- Protect / Rock Slide / Knock Off
- Low Kick / Toxic / Aqua Jet / Knock Off
Defensive costa is finally receiving the attention it needs, and im not sure where all the hype has been coming from, but i see it all the time for a good reason. Firstly, it is a great sneasel switch in and isnt wrath. I feel many people dont see sneasel as much of a threat as it was in the xy meta as poliwrath is on every team as it can easily fit on balance or stall or offence. Lately i know i and other council members are kind of sick being forced to run wrath, so more unconventional counters have been used. Another great metagame trend that is nice benefitting this is iron tail tauros. Not that EQ would do too much, but without it, costa is pretty much a counter (which is also a reason i personally run low kick). Defensive costa also provides good utility in stealth rocks, and can cripple switch ins like tangela with a toxic or knock off.

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off
- Taunt / Rest
- Toxic / Sleep Talk
Throh usage has also shot up recently. Im not sure whether it is just from the anti-wrath banwaggon, or if its because people have realised how good it is in this meta, either way its nice that its getting more usage. Annoyingly, most people seem to be using AV throh, which is a subpar set as it hits well with two coverage (thunder/ice punch can be used>toxic if you really want), as it really appreciates leftovers recovery, and taunt is an amazing move in this meta. Throh also provides a nice sneasel counter, and can switch into/revenge so many great mons in this meta like lickliciky and regice.

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell / Endeavour

Monferno @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Overheat
- Endeavor / Vacuum Wave
I personally find it a bit weird that there are so many suicide leads in such a hazard in such a anty-hazard meta, but i guess these are really great at setting them up. There is no doubt that hazards are amazingly important in PU, as there are so many mons who are rock weak (sneasel, ninetales, scyther, etc), so leads should be a good way of setting, as yes, avalugg cant really beat any blocker not named haunter, but there isnt much of a way to block defog, as purugly is a joke, and it is bad to the point where its almost outclassed by tauros. This doesnt make leads unviable, as volturn offence is amazingly good at applying offensive pressure on deffogers (eg scyther baits and turns on pelipper and goes to rotom/raichu).

I'll talk about a few underrated sets / mons that are pretty effective in the current meta:

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick

This set is a great lure to Lickilicky, as with some Attack EVs you have a varying chance to 2HKO it with Low Kick. It also kind of lures in Poliwrath, which walls standard Simipour. It's obviously not as good against offense as the standard SubSalac variant is, but it's basically a much faster but weaker version of special Samurott back from when we had that (which was forever ago now that I think about it lol). This set is a really nice partner for special attackers that hate Lickilicky, especially stuff like Ninetales (smh @ all of you complaining that the core from that CLC thing was bad). I definitely recommend it.

Seviper @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch

Seviper is actually pretty cool in this metagame, being a really nice answer to Tangela and to a lesser extent Roselia (especially with Shed Skin, though it's only used over Infiltrator because Infiltrator is illegal with Sucker Punch). It's basically just a weaker Heatmor that isn't SR weak and can't really beat Lickilicky (though it's not like that switches into Heatmor anyway), but having Poison STAB is pretty cool. I'd also recommend trying this out, though it isn't nearly as good as LO Simipour.

Luxray @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Volt Switch

Finally, I've been using CB Luxray a bit recently, and it's been solid so far. It's not terribly bulky, but it's usually bulky enough to switch in on weaker physical attackers and pivot out of them with Volt Switch or just hit whatever switches in ridiculously hard. The Speed EVs outspeed Regice, but you can run a faster or bulkier spread if you want. This set isn't really anything too special and its bulk has disappointed me at times, but other than that it's pretty decent. It's certainly Luxray's best and only viable set anyway.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Magnemite is a ninja because I'm here today to hype up a set that deserves a lot more attention than what's its's seen recently

Leafeon @ Leftovers / Scope Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

You all know how it works, SD up and attack things then pass off to a secondary sweeper when you get weaker. Leafeon is great in the meta right now with the relative lack of effective fire types to hamper it. With the lead meta so based around bulky rocks and waters Leafeon can immediately threaten both set and KOs and gain momentum for you in battle. In particular, both Carracosta and Golem allow Leafeon to SD turn 1 and then weaken a check with Knock off on the second turn. If the opponent doesn't have a fire type answer many times they'll be relying on Avalugg to check Leafeon which is why I've paired Leafeon with standard Life Orb Sneasel, which can switch in on Avalanches directed at Leafeon. While it still doesn't KO Avalugg, all the other problems of Sneasel are gone. it's priority now KOs frail scarf mons such as Raichu and almost nothing can take it's Knock Off. Another natural partner, though less effective for synergy is Tauros. Already a dominating force, at +2 Tauros destroys just about everything in the tier.

Set is standard, I prefer max speed so I'm not relying on it as a pure Baton Passer. Scope Lens is an option for the 25% Leaf Blade crits which is nice specifically because fuck Furfrou.

Similarly I've been meaning to test out SD Pass Scyther in the same vein as Leafeon but Baton Pass clause is a thing. Anyone have experience with it?

I've used Swords Dance + Baton Pass Leafeon before and it's functioned well, but I'm very intrigued by the idea of Scope Lens. Without a specific purpose it's in general one of those items that don't see much use because they /could/ be helpful but aren't reliable, but with the specific idea of breaking through Cotton Guard Furfrou, it's an interesting choice. Overall Leftovers is probably better though seeing as Furfrou isn't really that common, but seeing as neither item is really providing that much use in order for Leafeon to carry out its intended role, Scope Lens is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)