Resource OU Checks Compendium

OU Checks Compendium
Taken over from Tressed, who took over from Agent Gibbs
Approved by AM
Artwork by D_what

This is a visual tool for teambuilding. Use it to find checks and counters for the metagame's top threats.
Please read the category definitions before posting.

To make this page load faster, the compendium can be found by clicking on the following image:

Breakmyteam / brmt
There is also an interactive version of this, which sorts the threats based on your team's matchup against them. Don't trust it too much, rather look over it and control if what it displays is actually covered. It's useful for taking a first glance, but the rating isn't completely flawless. kudos to migetno1 for writing the original that inspired this:

(For comments and suggesions on that, post here. This thread is for the compendium itself, so, if you think something should be added / removed as GSI, SSI or NSI, you're in the right place.)

Last edited:
Category Definitions
Check: Loosely defined, anything that reliably beats the threat. In this list, they are separated by how well they can switch into it. Checks will be divided into the following groups:
Guaranteed Switch-In.
Can switch into the following moves:
  • Anything that's included (at least as a slash) on the threat's analysis page, in its main set.
  • Anything that's common enough to show up on the Threat's 1825 moveset statistics entry.
It may only be able to switch in one or two times, or may lose to some exotic coverage move (the ones not listed in the above).
The check is not subject to these limitations and can run whatever it likes. For example, low kick Bisharp is a GSI to Bisharp, since low kick isn't common enough to prevent Bisharp from switching in.
Situational Switch-In.
Can switch in safely under certain circumstances, but not always. Can either switch into some variants of a threat but struggle against others, or struggles with common coverage moves but can at least switch into the STABs and other moves commonly used on switches (such as boosting moves and Knock Off).
Non-Switch-In.
Basically: Just a check, not a counter. Cannot switch in safely, generally because they are beaten by one of the STABs, lose if they switch in on a boosting move, etc. Pokemon in this category can, however, defeat a threat in a 1-on-1 matchup. This includes faster revenge killers, as well as Pokemon that can take a single hit and KO back.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Alakazam:

What's your reasoning to justify Mew and Jirachi here? Shadow Ball is a legitimate thing amongst Alakazams on its Life Orb set so I would assume these two shouldn't fall under that GSI for that. M-Sableye seems more of a GSI than those two would. I don't really use Cresselia a whole lot but I think it's safe to assume it can stomach a hit from Alakazam more comfortably than those two other Psychics mentioned.

Bisharp:

I'm not too fond of Rotom-W being under GSI for Bisharp. The other mons on that list are by far better Knock Off recipients than Rotom-W is and the function that Rotom-W checks Bisharp is by burning it, which means it's already on the field. This doesn't take into account Lum Berry variants but the important thing to note is Rotom-W is a bad switch in to Bisharp to be classified as GSI.

Char-X:

Can you elaborate on N/A GSI for Char-X? This one seems silly if what you're implying is that it has no real guaranteed switch ins, even taking into account Wisp sets that are by all means annoying but not the end of the world for some. Slowbros would be an example of that.

Excadrill:

Is LO really not that common where Quagsire is all of a sudden a GSI? Just from using Quagsire before it's not really comfortable to actually switch into a Life Orb Exca.

Keldeo:

No Celebi for GSI? I'd like to think it's a better switch into Keldeo than something like M-Venu or Tangrowth is albeit isn't the greatest mon.

p2

Banned deucer.
can you please remove weezing from this x_x

blissey should be gsi against manaphy because of its cm set, goth should be removed from mega venus ssi, and noivern should be removed completely too

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was looking through this and saw a pokemon a few days ago which didn't have Suicune listed as a check to it. I forget the pokemon but this prompted me to run through the full list and I think Suciune should be added for the following pokemon:

Azumarill : SSI
Mega Beedrill : GSI
Excadrill : SSI
Infernape : SSI
Kabutops : GSI
Kingdra : SSI
Latias / Latios : SSI / NSI
Lopunny : SSI
Mega Sableye : GSI
Terrakion : SSI / NSI
Tyranitar : GSI

I didn't think too hard about the category (GSI/SSI/NSI) but I do think it should be added for these mons wherever you decide to put it

The following are others it could be added for but are a bit shakier:

Feraligatr
Gyarados
Sharpedo

Yeah without Roar it's sorta just setup fodder for Sub Gyarados and has to fish for a burn on Feraligatr / Sharpedo / Taunt Gyara
My last post in the old thread. It should also probably be SSI or NSI for Mega Altaria since it beats special variants with CM (but doesnt like switching into Hyper Voice) and can burn non Refresh/Heal Bell DD variants.

I also agree, remove Weezing please

Edit: I notice Wobbuffet is listed as a Lopunny switchin. Wobb should probably be taken out as well, and Cofagrigus is a Lopunny GSI

BTW why is regular Scizor a GSI to Mamo and Mega Scizor is SSI?

Ok last edit. Clefable should be removed from Starmie GSI because Analytic makes switching into Hydro Pump extremely dicey.

252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 231-273 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 177-211 (44.9 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
disagree with removing pokemon, however niche they might be, they still work as counters. this isn't a vr thread.
think ttar hippo m-aero rhyperior should be moved down to ssi for talonflame, none of them like getting burned, hippo in particular loses to burn + bu talon.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Here are some suggestions I made before. They agree with Mega Scizor being a GSI to Mamoswine and Rotom-W as a SSI to Bisharp as said above.

As for another suggestion, I would say Bisharp is better suited as a SSI to Latios rather than a GSI. Draco does a ton on the switch (68.2 - 80.4%), and from there it's basically a 50/50 to determine who lives. Latios also runs HP Fire often, which does 84.5 - 99.6% and has a small chance to KO after SR. Even CM variants place Bisharp in 50/50 scenarios, as a +1 Draco kills easily (102.2 - 120.2%). AV is the only real way for Bisharp to avoid some of these scenarios. AV Bisharp is practically never used though, and also risks being 2HKOed by HP Fire (47.9 - 57% using the analysis spread). Latios also has some lesser used options like EQ and the rare HP Fighting to 2HKO and KO Bisharp, respectively. Defog and Psyshock are the only moves Bisharp can come in on safely. Even then, it's usually better to avoid switching Bisharp in directly because then you've possibly wasted your win condition. Everything else is a gamble, and I would argue that being placed in so many 50/50 scenarios to handle a Pokemon isn't very characteristic of a GSI. Because of this, I think SSI is better in this case.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Since pokémon such as regular Diancie, Weezing and Ludicolo are in the compendium, I don't think it will be a bad idea to also add Krookodile. From my experience the only set Krookodile should run in OU is Stealth Rock / Taunt + 3 Attacks with a Life Orb or Dread / Earth Plate. Choice Scarf could be a nice check to pokemon like Mega Aero, Gengar and Mega Manectric, but I think it is pretty underwhelming so I didn't take that set into account.

SSI:
Heatran - It survives any hit from Heatran, Earthquake OHKO's Heatran even if Lava Plume burned but it's only a SSI because Fire Blast does around 75%.
Hoopa-U - The only thing it has to fear from Hoopa-U is Scarfed Drain Punch and the fact that it can only switch in once. If it switches in against a Choice Scarf / Band Hyperspace Fury, Gunk Shot or Psychic STAB, it can trap Hoopa with Pursuit. Against LO and Choice Band sets, Krookodile will outspeed and OHKO with Earthquake.
Toxicroak - It can switch in safely because Drain Punch won't OHKO. It outspeeds and it takes a +1 Sucker Punch really well. SSI in my opinion because after it switched in on Drain Punch, it can't switch in anymore on neither Drain Punch nor Gunk Shot.
Tyranitar - Krookodile only has to fear Defensive Ice Beam, which takes an Earthquake and 2HKO's with Ice Beam or Choice Band Superpower.
Mega Tyranitar - If it switches in on a DD, it will survive Ice Punch and OHKO with Earthquake. If it switches in on an Ice Punch, Krookodile will outspeed and OHKO. It only has to fear DD Superpower.

NSI:
Bisharp - Krookodile gives Bisharp an attack boost because of Defiant, but it doesn't really matter because even a +3 LO Sucker Punch can't OHKO Krookodile.
Excadrill - It is 2HKO'd by LO Earthquake, but it can act as a revengekiller and it also beats Scarf and Bulky sets.
Lucario - Outspeeds and OHKO's with Earthquake. Obviously can't switch in directly but it can come in against a +2 Lucario, survive LO ExtremeSpeed and OHKO in return.
Magnezone - Scarf 2HKO's and Specs OHKO's but Krookodile can revengekill.
Mega Manectric and Raikou - Krookodile survives any hit and OHKO's with Earthquake
Mega Metagross - Not really sure about this one because Hammer Arm still does 85%, but at full HP it can survive any hit even after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO back with Earthquake.
Tyrantrum - Loses to a few things like Superpower, DD Outrage and Scarf Outrage which are all things according to the analysis, but it will always win in a 1v1 situation.

Alrighty, have my two cents.

I think Mega Charizard Y should be a SSI for Serperior. While it can tank a Leaf Storm, Serperior will receive a +2 Special Attack boost, and then it can outspeed Charizard and dent it with Dragon Pulse (KOing after Stealth Rock damage). Definitely not a guaranteed switch in.

Since shit like Weezing is on the database, why not this guy? He's seen a bit of an increase in viability recently with the rise of Sand, and several teams underprepare for him. Probably the best sets to take into account imo is SubCoil, because he's the only viable Coil user in the tier (no, Serperior doesn't count).

GSI to:
  • Magnezone: At best, Magnezone can 3HKO the SubCoil set with a Choice Specs Flash Cannon. In return, Zygarde can KO Magnezone back with an unboosted Earthquake. Note that Dragon Dance isn't a reliable switch in.
  • Jirachi: Jirachi is pretty much set-up bait for Zygarde, as Zygarde is only 4HKO'd by Iron Head and can set up on Jirachi, later KOing it with Earthquake.
  • Heatran: Can only 3HKO with Flash Cannon at best (and that's if it's Offensive Heatran), and obviously gets OHKO'd by Earthquake.
  • Mega Venusaur: Can't do jack shit to Subcoil, and can only 3HKO the Dragon Dance set. This gives Zygarde a free setup opportunity if he's SubCoil or he can 2HKO back with Outrage if he's Dragon Dance.
SSI to:
  • Victini: Zygarde can't take a V-Create reliably from Choice Band Victini and is lured in by Glaciate Victini, but he can take advantage of the V-Create drops to KO Victini.
  • Toxicroak: Can't do anything to Zygarde outside of Ice Punch (be wary of this move) who can retaliate back with Earthquake.
  • Tyranitar: Can beat Tyranitar 1v1 in most case, but can't switch in reliably.
NSI to:
  • Bisharp: You need to sack something to get Zygarde reliably on this thing, as Subcoil Zygarde really does not like to lose its Leftovers against this thing.
  • Hawlucha: Zygarde does not like taking a +2 HJK/Acrobatics, but DD Zygarde can take both of those and OHKO back with Outrage.
  • Scizor: When it's not boosted, they can't do anything to Zygarde, but if it sets up on the switch, then Zygarde won't have a very pleasant time.
GSIs:
  • Skarmory: Immune to Earthquake, resists Dragon Tail/Outrage, and doesn't take much from Stone Edge.
  • Landorus-T: Same as above, except it doesn't resist Dragon Tail/Outrage.
  • Quagsire: Ignores boosts thanks to Unaware, and can also burn Zygarde.
  • Clefable: Same as the above, except it can't burn Zygarde, but it can KO with Moonblast and is immune to Dragon Tail/Outrage.
  • Mega Slowbro: Can take any of Zygarde's moves, even after a few boosts, and can burn it with Scald.
SSIs:
  • Togekiss: Stops the Sub Coil set cold, but does not like taking a Stone Edge from Dragon Dance Zygarde.
  • Mandibuzz: Same as above, but also doesn't like taking an Outrage to the face.
  • Gliscor: Also doesn't like to take an Outrage to the face, otherwise a good check.
  • Slowbro: Same as Mega Slowbro, but doesn't like facing DD Zygarde after a boost.
NSIs:
  • Azumarill: Struggles against DD variants, and doesn't like taking an Earthquake from a SubCoil Zygarde either, but is otherwise a decent check.
  • Mega Gardevoir: Can KO Zygarde with Hyper Voice (even through subs), but paper-thin defenses prevent it from reliably switching in.
  • Sylveon (why am I even bringing this thing up?): Same as above.
  • Mamoswine: Doesn't like taking any of Zygarde's moves to the face, but can KO with Ice Shard/Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash.
  • Weavile: Same as above (except doesn't have Icicle Spear).
  • Kyurem-Black: Can KO Zygarde with either Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Ice Beam, but can't take any of its moves (especially Outrage).
This is all I have for now, feel free to let me know of any other switchins. I mostly targeted the larger threats in the metagame.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Since shit like Weezing is on the database, why not this guy? He's seen a bit of an increase in viability recently with the rise of Sand, and several teams underprepare for him. Probably the best sets to take into account imo is SubCoil, because he's the only viable Coil user in the tier (no, Serperior doesn't count).
GSI to:
  • Toxicroak: Can't do anything to Zygarde, who can retaliate back with Earthquake.
SSI to:
  • Scizor/Mega Scizor: When they're not boosted, they can't do anything to Zygarde, but if they set up on the switch, then Zygarde won't have a very pleasant time.
  • Hawlucha: Can't switch in on a High Jump Kick very well, but can otherwise completely decimate it. SubCoil also has to rely on Dragon Tail to damage it.
NSI to:
  • Tyranitar: Can beat the Choice Scarf set, but can't beat the other sets very reliably, particularly those with Ice Beam
A few comments:
  • Zygarde should be a SSI to Toxicroak because Ice Punch can OHKO Zygarde.
  • Mega Scizor outboosts Coil sets and DD sets are not bulky enough to take hits from the Offensive SD Set and doesn't hit hard enough to 2HKO the Bulky SD set. I doubt this should even be a NSI.
  • +2 HJK / Acro does 60-70% to Coil Zygarde and it can only Dragon Tail in return. DD Zygarde can take a +2 HJK and OHKO back so NSI sounds okay to me.
  • I think SSI makes more sense than NSI for Tyranitar. It beats Scarf and Band sets and against Defensive TTar it still wins 1v1.

About pokemon like Weezing and Doublade. I don't think pokemon should stay in the compendium if they become unranked. Otherwise I might as well give a list for other unranked pokemon like Mega Abomasnow, Crobat and Mega Steelix. Almost every pokemon on the Viability Rankings is in the Checks Compendium now with the exception of Meloetta, Umbreon, Xatu, Honchkrow, Forretress, Mega Banette, Venusaur, Shuckle, Kyurem, Cloyster and Blissey. For the sake of completeness I will probably look at some mons in this list because even though they're niche, it's a nice help if you have any of those pokemon on your team.

A few comments:
  • Zygarde should be a SSI to Toxicroak because Ice Punch can OHKO Zygarde.
  • Mega Scizor outboosts Coil sets and DD sets are not bulky enough to take hits from the Offensive SD Set and doesn't hit hard enough to 2HKO the Bulky SD set. I doubt this should even be a NSI.
  • +2 HJK / Acro does 60-70% to Coil Zygarde and it can only Dragon Tail in return. DD Zygarde can take a +2 HJK and OHKO back so NSI sounds okay to me.
  • I think SSI makes more sense than NSI for Tyranitar. It beats Scarf and Band sets and against Defensive TTar it still wins 1v1.

About pokemon like Weezing and Doublade. I don't think pokemon should stay in the compendium if they become unranked. Otherwise I might as well give a list for other unranked pokemon like Mega Abomasnow, Crobat and Mega Steelix. Almost every pokemon on the Viability Rankings is in the Checks Compendium now with the exception of Meloetta, Umbreon, Xatu, Honchkrow, Forretress, Mega Banette, Venusaur, Shuckle, Kyurem, Cloyster and Blissey. For the sake of completeness I will probably look at some mons in this list because even though they're niche, it's a nice help if you have any of those pokemon on your team.
Alright, I've updated. I ended up forgetting to put the checks there too, so those are on there.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I agree with SketchUp that if a pokemon isnt ranked in the viability threads it shouldn't be listed here. That's a pretty harsh way to look at it, for example Stall thrives a lot on using niche stuff, but realistically speaking just like the VR thread in the perfect world it's a resource for newbies. Guys like myself, older players, can sort of user whatever for the sake of anything and find a niche but that comes from experience and understanding. You then kind of just over inflate stuff for the sake of finding some shotty check to something when it doesnt encompass being a check relative to the rest of the metagame. It's always a big behind the scenes discussion for a long time in the VR threads, whether it's really worth saying something is useful when most times you should just draw the line. I think drawing the line would be using the VR thread as a foundation and would make discussions more cut and dry instead of someone saying "hey Articuno is a good check to M-Venusaur" or "Yanmega is a good check to Celebi". These are more or less legitimate examples applicable somewhere here that we should avoid personally.

I mean, the original goal behind this project was to provide players with as large a variety of checks as possible, which would include some really niche ones in the off chance that they're the best pick for a certain team. That said, you're right that this resource should be aimed mainly at newer players who will likely have trouble discerning between the standard choices and the really niche ones. Besides, if we're being perfectly honest, the Pokemon ranked in the VR thread alone should be more than enough to get the job done for most teams.

Anyway, I also just wanted to thank OrdA and Tressed before him for keeping this thing running. I love the new format in the OP, by the way. Having those snazzy image links instead of putting the whole compendium in the OP cuts down on the loading time by a lot.

EDIT: Just tried out the Weakness Checker for the first time, and wow this thing is so cool lol.

Last edited:
Toxicroak should be listed as a NSI to Venusaur. For Mamoswine you have regular scizor picture listed as a GSI and mega Scizor picture listed as a SSi. Reuniclus should be added as a GSI to Lopunny, venusaur, Manetric, and Magnezone. Quick question why Skarmory listed as NSI to mamoswine and clefable as GSI to Reuniclus? As far as I know Mamoswine can't break skarmory and Reuniclus uses clefable as setup bait. Clef should be removed and skarmory should be listed as a NSI.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Quick question why Skarmory listed as NSI to mamoswine and clefable as GSI to Reuniclus?
Clef vs. Reuniclus: For this matchup Clef is assumed to be Unaware. Unaware Clef takes no damage from Reuniclus, while it can paralyze it and setup CMs vs it. If Reuni stays in, the matchup is basically centered around PP-stalling and waiting for one of the mons at +6 to crit. But Reuni won't stay in unless it's desperate, so Unware Clef is a GSI in that it forces it out nearly 100% of the time. If it needs to be able to win 100% 1v1 idk if it should stay a GSI, but it's still pretty safe, so long as it isn't poisoned and you have another way to deal with Reuni in the back (one that can't manually switch in). Also, Clef is listed under C&C of the analysis, so I think it's pretty safe to include.

It is funny though how Reuni is a GSI to MG Clefable and Unaware Clefable is a GSI to Reuni.

Skarmory vs. Mamoswine: You probably just read this wrong; on both the big list and BMT, Skarmory is already an SSI, not an NSI.
Toxicroak should be listed as a NSI to Venusaur. For Mamoswine you have regular scizor picture listed as a GSI and mega Scizor picture listed as a SSi. Reuniclus should be added as a GSI to Lopunny, venusaur, Manetric, and Magnezone.
I agree for all these points.
I'd recommend adding Nidoking to the threatlist since the LO Sheer Force set is actually a thing.
Agreed, since some worse/equally ranked things like Belly Drum Chesnaught, Mega Houndoom, offensive Scolipede, Tyrantrum, and Sylveon have checks and counters listed. But if Nidoking is added Pidgeot definitely should be, as well as some other C+'s like Entei and Zygarde.

e: Either that or remove the existing C+ mons, but I personally like having GSIs, SSIs, and NSIs listed for as many mons as possible.

e2: Also goodra should be a gsi for raikou

Last edited:
I saw thundy-t as a gsi for mega-pinsir and that didn't really make much sense to me. Offensive sets get 2hko'd by return and defensive sets are outclassed by zapdos. If anything i think that maybe a scarf set (suspicious) might fall under the nsi category.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if it's possible to reverse engineer this tool so searches can be done both ways. Instead of only being able to search all the checks to a pokemon, I would like to pick a pokemon and see what threats it is a GSI, SSI and NSI for. This may be more like the break my team in the sense of typing in a pokemon to search, but nonetheless wondering if this is feasible.

Just a quick word of advice. I agree that there are a couple of new threats that could use an entry, but if you want a new threat to be added, it would be cool if you could also mention some checks to include in that entry. Speaking from personal experience, adding new entries can be a lot of work, so any little bit of a head start that you can offer will be more helpful than you may realize.

I was wondering if it's possible to reverse engineer this tool so searches can be done both ways. Instead of only being able to search all the checks to a pokemon, I would like to pick a pokemon and see what threats it is a GSI, SSI and NSI for. This may be more like the break my team in the sense of typing in a pokemon to search, but nonetheless wondering if this is feasible.
This is actually possible in the Weakness Checker tool. Just click on the Pokemon's icon and you can see not only the checks to that Pokemon, but the Pokemon that it is considered a check to as well.

SketchUp

Volcanion should without a doubt be the highest priority for the compendium. However, because there is no analysis, nor any usage stats available for it, it's kinda hard to tell which sets and coverage moves should be considerd (Specs with STABs, Sludge Bomb, Earth Power, HP Grass, LO Superpower and Toxic + Haze is what I would consider). I don't think we should already be looking at Volcanion's checks and counters if we haven't reached a consensus about what sets are worth mentioning. If that consensus is reached, I can personally work on the list of checks and counters for Volcanion.

Not only should pokemon like Nidoking be added to the compendium, pokemon that got a new analysis should also get a quick revamp to keep the compendium as up to date as possible. It isn't the most important thing to do and it can definitely wait for a few weeks, but it still feels kinda weird having GSI's for Kyurem-B when the Specs and Band sets are getting analyses at the moment.

Made this post on my phone, hope it isn't too messy.

Volcanion should without a doubt be the highest priority for the compendium. However, because there is no analysis, nor any usage stats available for it, it's kinda hard to tell which sets and coverage moves should be considerd (Specs with STABs, Sludge Bomb, Earth Power, HP Grass, LO Superpower and Toxic + Haze is what I would consider). I don't think we should already be looking at Volcanion's checks and counters if we haven't reached a consensus about what sets are worth mentioning. If that consensus is reached, I can personally work on the list of checks and counters for Volcanion.
This is fair enough, but I think mixed defense Slowking (standard Smogon spread has it) walls all Volcanion sets (yea sure Toxic is annoying but Slowking still wins the 1v1), so at the very least, we got that.

AM

LCPL Champion
I think if you want to use sets for reference in compiling checks you can use some of these for starters until the meta stabilizes more and we see the standards / better spreads.

Life Orb Variants

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Superpower

Consistent benchmark to 2HKO Max Defense / Max SpDef Chansey without rocks since they're normally be on M-Sableye builds.

Volcanion @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Superpower

Emphasis on more special attack gets the 2HKO on Chansey with Rocks up. Depending on which defensive builds you want to break more easily and how much more power you want on your special attacks.

A huge important note is that the Life Orb set is customized based on team needs. So you'll see things like Earth Power to hit other Volcanions, HP Electric to hit both Azumarill and Volcanion at once, Sludge Bomb to hit the Lati twins, or HP Ice for more focus on Latis.

Defensive

Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Haze

Specs

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Ice

Scarf

I think Scarf is its worse set fyi but it runs a pretty similar set to the specs one with optional moves and a Timid nature.

Most big defensive waters like Suicune, Jellicent, and Slowking can be classified as GSI since Suicune doesnt really care about Volcanions attacks but can't fight back without Toxic, and Jellicents will opt for more spdef to cover Volcanions offensive sets.

Volc is a shitty clef check (or rather, clef is fucking insane)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. +1 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. +2 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 146-174 (37 - 44.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If clef CM's on the switch it just twaves and then cm's again, only losing to crits.

But yeah Volcanion has surprisingly good offensive capabilities

SketchUp

Volcanion Checks
GSI:

SSI:
Volcanion,

NSI:
It can actually soft counter because it takes any hit and OHKO's with Specs Focus Blast, but it is still pretty unreliable at this job. Without Focus Blast it does not even check it very well because Steam Eruption 2HKO's and Secret Sword doesn't OHKO.
Can't really touch Volcanion without Toxic or CM 2 Attacks, but it can PP stall all sets thanks to Pressure. This is especially useful against Specs because Volcanion's STABs will only have 4 PP. However, it loses to Specs or LO HP Grass / Electric
Added this because bulky Gyarados checks Specs pretty well, while DD (+ Lum) beats Bulky sets.
Added for the AV set which 2HKO's with Psychic. Slowbro and Mega Slowbro both lose to Specs Steam Eruption + burn / HP Grass
Needs SpD which is imo a pretty suboptimal spread but still went with it as a GSI
Probably not a perfect list yet so if you have any suggestions feel free to mention them. Pokemon like Suicune, Seismitoad, Slowbro and Toxicroak were some things I thought about a little longer, so I guess they could be changed after some discussion.

Edit: I moved Chansey, Blissey and Goodra to GSI because:
| Superpower 3.311% |

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)