OU Team - Doesn't quite feel right...

t(O)Uskate's OU team

Hey there again Smogon, this is my second RMT. I was getting really bored waiting for the suspects to be removed from the UU ladder, so I threw an OU team together, mainly because I was excited about playing with Latias. The team has been preforming quite well for me, however it's had a few moments of inconsitency. It is a nice balanced team and hasn't been overwhelmed by type of team or another, altough admitedly, heavy stall sucks if I lose Infernape early on in the battle. Let me know what you guys think I'm missing, thanks in advance, everyone was so great with my last RMT. I don't really have a big crush on any of these pokemon, so don't hesitate to advise me to change my team around.

It's important to note that this team, like my last will be meant for both Wifi and Shoddy. This didn't really matter last time, but as you'll see it does matter quite a bit with this team.

The Lead:

Swampert - Relaxed - Torrent w/Leftovers
240 Hp/216 Defense/52 Special Attack
Earthquake
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock

This brings me back, I think it was the first lead I ever used in D/P before it really fell out of favor due to big time sleep leads like Gengar and Yanmega, but now Swampy is back. My team really doesn't mind Stealth Rocks to much, especially when Blissey can support the team with Wish. What I really like about 'Pert is that it can set up SR, while at the same time 2hkoing the majority of the popular leads. This is also the most expendable part of my team, so he is usually who I let take any sleep attacks. I've thought about running Roar over Hydro Pump, but it's a nice suprise to hit a Gengar switching in on a predicted Earthquake. So far it's worked nicely, but again I wouldn't be against change.

Support:

Celebi - Bold - Natural Cure/Leftovers
252 Hp/220 Defense/36 Speed
Grass Knot
Hp Fire
Leech Seed
Recover

Gyarados Counter. I can't say that strongly enough. It's really like the whole reason for having it on the team, especially when my revenge kill options aren't great, even when they don't get a DD in, I've been screwed over quite a bit by 'Nape's Stone Edge because of the shit. Hp Fire is again to suprise Scizor, since having Latias and Blissey means it's less important to try and suprise Heartran. Leech Seed is nice to help stall things out, and the things that generally switch in like Scizor and Ttar, don't care as much about Thunder Wave. I've thought about Perish Song, which would definitely be useful against CroCune and Refresh Latias. I'd be very open to switching around the moveset a little bit, however Celebi really needs to stay unless I get another equal 'Dos counter.

Wifi note: I can't get a Bold Hp Fire Celebi for Wifi use. So here I guess I really have to change the move set around. I guess Earth Power works now. I'm not as keen on replacing Hp Fire with another support move because I'm leary about using just Grass Knot to attack, I think that really limits what Celebi can do. I need big advice here.

Blissey - Calm - Natural Cure w/Leftovers
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Flamethrower

Ah the all purpose special wall. I love catching the predictable Scizor switch in with a Flamethrower. Against T-tar I'll usually protect to see what it does then switch the the appropriate counter, I feel safe doing this because generally Swampert can stop a DDtar sweep, or at least cripple it enough till it's easily finished off with a Scizor Bullet Punch. Basically Blissey is one of the hinges of my teams and so far is one of the only irreplacable parts. It's been great so far, especially considering that Scizor can really pick off big physical threats like Salamence and Tyranitar, often leaving my opponents in situations were they can't break Blissey down.

Wifi Note: Take a wild guess. Wish is unavailable to me on wifi, so Wish will likely have to be replaced with Softboiled. Something to hit Heatran may fill replace Protect, but honestly, protect has been so great that I think I may just stick with it. I'll test both on Shoddy, but let me know what you guys think I should do.

The Offense:

Infernape - Jolly - Blaze w/Life Orb
4 Hp/252 Attack/252 Speed
Fire Punch
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

Wow I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with SDape. Friggen Latias is so annoying that sometimes I just Stone Edge right off the bat to see if my opponent is packing one. Really breaks stall nicely, which is why it becomes such a big problem when I lose Infernape early. I chose this over Infernape because I'd rather have 2 strong stab moves and above average speed then one strong stab move, priority and insuffiecent speed.

Scizor - Adamant - Technician w/Choice Band
4 Hp/252 Attack/252 Speed
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

Old reliable, not much can be said, except that I end up Pursuiting just as much as I U-turn, with my main targerts being Blissey, Celebi, and Latias. However, the first time out I always U-turn, just to see if my opponennt is packing a Magnezone. I generally try and keep Scizor alive throughout the match because Bullet Punch is just so incredible late game.

Latias - Timid - Levitate w/Leftovers
148 Hp/108 Special Attack/252 Speed
Calm Mind
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Reflect

NEW JACK CITY BABY! I honestly avoided the entire suspect process because I thought that Latias would be seriously broken...but it's really not, however it is a great addition to OU. I love Reflecting as a Pursuit user switches in, which makes Pursuit less then a 2hko if I stay in. Latias' great speed generally makes it my late game sweeper, which has made me slightly consider dropping Swords Dance on Infernape to make it more of a wall breaker, however it's been functioning very well, even though the majority of the metagame seems to be trying to beat it.

Team Problems:

Toxic Spikes - Holy fuck this is annoying. My team doesn't really mind Stealth Rocks, but T-Spikes are a different story. I realize that I really need a way to stop these, but at the same time it's going to force me to change my team around. I'd love a grounded posion type because I'm not interested in Rapid Spinning. I'm tempted to not make any changes but I'd say I only win about 1/4 of the games I play against a team that tries to set up T-Spikes, because they usually can get both layers against me.

In conclusion, I've been doing well, winning a little more then 2/3 of my matches, but I'd like to improve that. I feel like there is a missing piece somewhere so I'm turning to Smogon!​

Ironically, SDape i going to give you problems as it sweeps your team up. Even with Latias, an SD Stone Edge is gonna do around 87% which is a Ko with SR. Your Latias can only dragon pulse which won't KO without boosts. Other apes give you problems too, which is why I'm going to direct you to Scarf Roserade. Scarf Roserade functions quite qell, so I recommend him over Swampert. put hp ground to at least have a way to completely stop his rampage.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ironically, SDape i going to give you problems as it sweeps your team up. Even with Latias, an SD Stone Edge is gonna do around 87% which is a Ko with SR. Your Latias can only dragon pulse which won't KO without boosts.
...not quite
SDApe does 87% to Latias...without Reflect. With Reflect, SDApe stands no chance in beating this team, as SDed Stone Edge will do about half of that while Life Orb cuts 10% away from Infernape. Furthermore, Stone Edge has 80% accuracy and Latias could stall it out until she Recovers back to full health (or until Infernape tries to SD again for whatever reason), and then Dragon Puulse Infernape to death.

Yeah SDApe, baring some shitty hax, becomes set up fodder for Latias.

One thing that's been tough is teams that have have CBScizor and DDtar, which can be a little overwhelming for my team.

Hey guys I really need some help, Toxic Spikes are the rue of my existence. I definitely need a ground poison, but I can't decide what to use and who to replace. I've thought about using a Venasaur, Nidoqueen, Roserade, Tentacruel and Drapion, but I don't know who exactly will help my team the most.

I'd love a nice rate too.

Pretty good start you have going.

However, I have to think this team is a little too balanced to succeed. That is why TSpikes give you so much trouble. The team features an equal mix of walls and sweepers, and while that used to be effective, I believe a truly balanced team like this cannot break a well made Stall team and also cannot stand up to the abuse of a well made offensive team. For that reason, I think we need to specialize just a little bit. To fit your style of play (which I presume is balance) I suggest we move the team to become a "bulky offensive team". I think then we can succeed.

Swampert: Is an ideal lead at the moment. I personally am building multiple teams using Swampert as my lead. Therefore, keep Swampert :) Just watch out for HP Grass Heatrans which are on the rise.

Celebi/Blissey/Infernape: This needs to go. This is what is making your team too balanced at the moment. A bulky offensive team relies on one solid combination to sponge the hits. I recommend STalk Gyara/SpecsJolt. However, with a variation in Gyarados' set. STalk Gyara with Stone Edge is actually a great choice for the team, able to take on DDMence and DDGyara, who give this team some problems after dropping the other 3 members. He also takes status. He draws the electric attacks that allow Jolteon to enter the fray and spam STAB TBolts. Electric is a deadly attacking type if things that resist it are out of the way.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp. Def
Impish
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Rest
Sleep Talk

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Volt Absorb
4 Def/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
Timid
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
HP Grass
Baton Pass

While DD STalk Gyara is alluring, my goal for your team is to wrap up a Latias sweep and you desperately need the Dragon coverage. Gyara also sponges assaults from Scizor and Lucario.

Infernape's spot I'm going to give to Gengar. Wait I'm serious! Gengar, when played cautiously, can be a huge asset to a Latias sweep. He can easily eliminate Tyranitar and Scizor, two huge impediments to Latias' sweep. The other is other steels, who good ol' reliable Swampert is happy to switch in on (like Metagross). This guy is lethal:

Gengar @ Expert Belt
Levitate
100 Attack/156 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
Hasty
Shadow Ball
Substitute
HP Fire
Focus Punch

I think you will find HUGE success with this set. You will destroy cocky TTars and Scizors while dealing a minimum of 59% to Metagross, so that's half of Latias' counters right there. Then theres the 2HKO on Bliss, so thats even better. Just be sure to be behind a Sub most of the time as priority is common and Gengar is frail. Sorry about the whole HP Fire for Wifi thing :(

I think Scizor is fine, but may not be able to take the pressure put on by Latias, who is the last one who can seriously harm this team. For that reason, I would consider either making him a bulkier Swords Dancer with Roost to be able to come in on Latias, or make Scizor a CBMetagross. Gross can still use Bullet Punch as a solid revenging opition. The trade off is Scizor has U Turn, and Metagross has Explosion. Both counter Latias to a reasonable degree and both offer great synergy with your Latias. I'll post the CBGross set, but feel free to pick whichever one turns out best in testing.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Clear Body
252 HP/236 Attack/12 Def/8 Speed
Adamant
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Explosion
Bullet Punch

Again, test between this guy and Scizor, I truly don't know which will come out on top.

Finally, win the match with Latias. Latias, aided by Gengar, now cleans the floor with the opponent's team after her counters are gone.

Congrats on a well made team, and good luck with it. Also, as a note, only 2 members are now effected by Toxic Spikes.

I'm not really sure why DD Tar is giving you a problem. Swampert can come in take a hit and EQ back. At worst Swampert dies and then your Scizor comes in and BP's Tar away..

Scizor can be a pain if it keeps coming in U-turns away but that's what it does best. Toxic spikes aren't too common because of the popularity of steels in the current game, but I think I have an idea.

For the final slot I'd suggest tossing out Latias and considering Zapdos or Starmie. If you consider Zapdos you should try the standard phyiscal defensive Zapdos:
Bold - Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heatwave
- Hidden Power Grass

What this would do is be a safe switch in for Scizor and you could HP Grass any cocky T-tar's that come in. It won't KO of course but it will make it second guess next time it decides to switch in.

If toxic spikes become more of a problem you can try a bulky Starmie to spin things away and still setup Reflect, which would help ease the CB Scizor and T-tar fear you have:
Bold - Leftovers
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
- Surf
- Recover
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin

I think Zapdos would work best and if you fear stall teams with Toxic Spikes then I'd suggest changing your Ape to a MixApe, which gives most cores of stall teams a difficult time.

Good luck, I hope I was of some help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)