OU Theorymon (CHALLENGE FORMAT ON PS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by The Immortal and Eevee General
Project Leaders: Mysteria and Sun King

Welcome to OU Theorymon! If you're not aware of this project, allow me to briefly recap what it is about. The OU Theorymon Project was created to examine the effects of one buff (an added move, changed ability, or type change) to any Pokemon below a B- ranking in the OU metagame. If you need a reference to the project itself, it can be found here.

ADDED POKEMON

+ Vital Spirit
+ Normal/Ghost typing
+ Poison/Steel typing
+ Magic Guard
(Mega Abomasnow) + Technician
+ Sand Stream
+ Prankster
+ Parting Shot
+ Protean
+ Defiant
+ Multiscale
+ Lightningrod
+ Volt Switch
(Mega Steelix) + Arena Trap
(Mega Audino) + Simple

+ Wish
(Mega Absol) + Dark/Fairy typing
+ Moxie
+ Sucker Punch
+ Electric/Steel type and Flash Cannon replaces Air Slash
+ Roost
+ Focus Blast

+ Fur Coat

+ Dragon/Steel Typing

+ Belly Drum

CLAUSES & BANLISTS
  • Standard OU clauses and ban lists apply

The Immortal Major thanks to you for getting us set up on PS! Thank you.

Haunter Also a major thanks to you for getting this rolling. Thank you.

AM Thanks a million for pointing me in the right direction and helping keep the project in order. Thanks!

Mysteria , Valmanway , unfixable , Vertex , and Recreant thanks for being kick ass council members and all around badass people to talk to.

*ORIGINAL THREAD*

• This is in Challenge Format. If you want to play OU Theorymon, you have to click on a user's name and challenge them to a battle. You can select the meta from there.

Looking forward to the participation!

Thanks all,

Sun King

Last edited:
uh shoutout to me for posting the main thread and starting the entire project duh

Anyways, out of all our archived Pokemon, I personally think Vital Spirit Archeops, although a bit forgotten, will be a great threat to offensive teams due to an amazingly powerful head smash; will post more later :heart:

Last edited:
HELL YEAH BOY GET YER GAME ON
RIGHT, two things before we can fully get this thing started
1. Here are the proper animated Mega Audino and Mega Steelix sprites for the archive.

They are sexy as hell.
Use them.

2. For Pokémon with added abilities, can they still use their old ones? i.e. does Lightningrod become Empoleon's second ability so that it's ability pool becomes Torrent/Lightningrod | Defiant, or does Lightningrod replace one or both of them? Likewise, for Pokémon that already have three abilities such as Goodra - Gooey, Sap Sipper and Hydration - does the new ability become a Fourth option, in that Goodra can choose from all of Gooey, Sap Sipper, Hydration and Protean? Or would Protean replace one or all of these abilities in this case?

2. For Pokémon with added abilities, can they still use their old ones? i.e. does Lightningrod become Empoleon's second ability so that it's ability pool becomes Torrent/Lightningrod | Defiant, or does Lightningrod replace one or both of them? Likewise, for Pokémon that already have three abilities such as Goodra - Gooey, Sap Sipper and Hydration - does the new ability become a Fourth option, in that Goodra can choose from all of Gooey, Sap Sipper, Hydration and Protean? Or would Protean replace one or all of these abilities in this case?
PS is designed for two abilities + a hidden. So, it will work the same as last time OU Theorymon was on PS in that the worst ability will be replaced.

Note for people who didn't read the thread: Don't post suggestions for theorymon here, ONLY discuss how the existing ones affect the metagame. Go to http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...new-challenge-ladder-check-post-1871.3519178/ for that. Thanks!
Thanks. I've edited this in.

uh shoutout to me for posting the main thread and starting the entire project duh

Anyways, out of all our archived Pokemon, I personally think Vital Spirit Archeops, although a bit forgotten, will be a great threat to offensive teams due to an amazingly powerful head smash; will post more later :heart:
Hehe I gotchu bwoi

HELL YEAH BOY GET YER GAME ON
RIGHT, two things before we can fully get this thing started
1. Here are the proper animated Mega Audino and Mega Steelix sprites for the archive.

They are sexy as hell.
Use them.

Thanks! Added those.

I think we should make a viability ranking for here just to measure what kind of changes we have brought to the metagame in some kind of objective way.

What's this? A core! Already? Yes! Reuniclus + Mega Steelix is a new core that takes advantage of Mega Steelix's excellent new ability: Arena Trap. Reuniclus now has access to Volt Switch, which means it can pivot right into Mega Steelix to trap its counters. What does this do exactly, you may ask. Well, Calm Mind Reuniclus with Volt Switch now allows it to just set up and win in the later game when Mega Steelix has trapped the counters to it. The type synergy between the two is also marvelous. Mega Steelix takes on Dark-types, Bug-types, and doesn't particularly mind Ghost-types, while Reuniclus takes on Fighting-types, and has the bulk to cover Mega Steelix's other weaknesses anyways. Try it out!

please please please if you like this meta check out the original thread i posted to get involved with discussions and tier the entire metagame:

Mega Steelix and Reuniclus will RULE the metagame and be the entire face of stall. Coupled with Magic Guard SubToxic Moltres, it will be near impossible to stop a potential sweep from Reun and you'll find it very hard to deal with a stall mon that can't be worn down and has all its checks and counters bopped by Mega Steelix. I'm sure that's going to be the best core atm.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Entei becomes a good switchin to Defog/Intimidate, and with Sacred Fire/Extremespeed, it will hurt at +2 and be a good revenge killer. Speaking of Defog, Moltres will now be great at that, with high-powered STABs that also handle potential Bisharp switchins (idk if Entei will totally replace Bisharp as a Defiant user, but I would think both would have niches). Choice Band Archeops hits insanely hard. With support from Wish/Volt Switch/Heal Bell Ampharos/Mega Amph to bring it in safely and heal it up, it could become a huge threat and a potent wallbreaker. Prankster Froslass with Spikes/Taunt/Destiny Bond is gonna be annoying asf. Shame it doesn't get WoW though. I know it has been mentioned that MegaLix+Reuniclus will be a great core, but it is also worth noting that Reuniclus gets Regenerator, so every time it switches out to MegaLix it regains health. Could be an option over Magic Guard. Maybe even RegenVest with Psyshock/Volt Switch/Shadow or Energy Ball/Focus Blast? Mega Pidgeot finally has unmissable Focus Miss! It no longer has to rely on HP for coverage! Goodra is gonna be good with its expansive movepool and special bulk. AssVest and LO are both good items for it. Mantine, Weavile, and Pangoro all look cool too.

Last edited:

Karxrida (Cradily) @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock / Mirror Coat

Cradily in Sand is so fucking bulky and I love it. Take these calcs to have an idea of its bulk in sand.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 82-97 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 146-172 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Cradily: 157-187 (41.8 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 133-157 (35.4 - 41.8%) -- 85% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'll try to get a few replays when my team is done and I can find a few battles.

Normal/Ghost Porygon-Z? It's Hidden Type all over again. What's the difference? There are no other Normal/Ghost types beside Porygon-Z. So no need to worry about other Normal/Ghosts walling this thing, unlike in Hidden Type, which is cool.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
FINALLY this got a thread, really hyped for everything :) Too bad Absol and Steelix are both megas, otherwise mega sol + lix is a good core.
First mon I try out is definitely Absol, seems a cool choice for a mega actually.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance/Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Mega Absol is gonna be a very fun, very good Pokemon in this metagame. It will likely best be paired with something Knock Off weak, like Chansey, allowing it to switch in on the resisted Knock Off, get a boost, and wreck. Play Rough and Knock Off are great STABs and Sucker Punch is priority. SD turns it into a ferocious sweeper, or its new move Parting Shot fits in well with an offensive momentum team. It also happens to be the greatest Sableye counter ever (Mega or non-Mega). Magic Bounce means it can't be burned, Toxiced, Taunted, or confused, it quad resists Foul Play, Dark Pulse, and Knock Off, resists Shadow Ball, has a SE STAB in Play Rough and it can even phaze Mega Sableye with Parting Shot.

Last edited:
What's that unfixaboo? Another core!?

+ (
or
)

I want to highlight how amazing the Rotom-S/Clefable core would be. Together, they resist/are immune every type except for Water, Fire, and Ghost. That's pretty damn amazing for a two-mon core. Additionally, Rotom not only switches in on every super-effective move aimed at Clefable (it's immune to one of them, and it quad-resists the other) but it can threaten the opponent's next move with either WoW or Volt-Switch to keep momentum. Combine this with some hazard support and a bulky Water and you can wear the opponent's team down to a point where you can just clean up the mess. I would expect Rotom-S to be an excellent glue for a lot of teams.

EDIT: Clefable contributes to this core by providing a safe switch in to Fighting attacks aimed at Rotom, and it can pass Wishes to keep Rotom healthy all game long.

SECOND EDIT: possible bulky Water teammates: Manaphy to set up on Sableye and sweep/wallbreak; Mantine to eat Choice-locked Keldeo alive and keep Gengar at bay; Suicune to 6-0 unprepared teams (Clefable can support 'Cune very nicely); Mega Gyarados resists Ghost and says "NOM" to opposing stall teams; Azumarill resists everything that threatens Rotom, so the AV set should pair extremely nicely.
Basically what I theorymonned back in the thread. Clef+ Rotom-S + Bulky Water. Mega Gyarados 6-0s Stall, and Mantine helps you stall. Basically this core resists everything (aside from Ghost if you pick Mantine) and is self sufficient. Clef heals things without recovery, Rotom-S takes everything Clef is afraid of, bulky water just rounds out your resists.

I'd imagine a bunch of stall and balanced teams would use this core as it's pretty damn effective.

Core? What Core? Mega Steelix eats up a large part of the Meta by itself.

I'll post later, but I just wanted to show my appreciation to The Immortal and whomever else was involved in implementing this on PS.

This was one of my favorite ideas, but I didn't get involved a lot due to how inactive the old thread was and their temporary ladders with just one Theorymon was boring as hell.

Now we can get started with a whole lot of new toys to make it interesting and hopefully dovetail from here.

Besides, it's cool to get outside people involved (Specifically OU) in the demented witchery of Pokemon that is OMs.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

Porygon-Z is gonna be a great wallbreaker:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: HP Fighting
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Agility
- Nasty Plot/Agility

Tri Attack and Shadow Ball hit insanely hard because of STAB and Adaptability, and are only resisted by Bisharp and Tyranitar who are murdered by HP Fighting. NP lets it kill everything, Agility makes it a sweeper. If you aren't worried about Ttar/Bish you can run DoubleDance Porygon-Z to murder everything with your Adaptability boosted STABs.

Or you can do this:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Timid/Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Put Specs on Porygon-Z and watch everything else die.

Porygon-Z is gonna be a great wallbreaker:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Timid/Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Agility
- Nasty Plot/Agility

Tri Attack and Shadow Ball hit insanely hard because of STAB and Adaptability, and are only resisted by Bisharp and Tyranitar who are murdered by HP Fighting. NP lets it kill everything, Agility makes it a sweeper. If you aren't worried about Ttar/Bish you can run DoubleDance Porygon-Z to murder everything with your Adaptability boosted STABs.

Or you can do this:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Timid/Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Put Specs on Porygon-Z and watch everything else die.
Pair this with Mega Steelix and watch the metagame twist itself around the core.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Pair this with Mega Steelix and watch the metagame twist itself around the core.
Porygon-Z+MegaLix+Reuniclus+Archeops+insert Wish passer/Heal Beller here (Chansey?)+hazards lead (Skarm?) is gonna be OP af. 2 wallbreakers, a trapper, a sweeper, a supporter, and hazards for the switches forced/chip damage. Brb making this team

Hmmmm. gots me thinkin now:

What about Entei+milotic+mega abomasnow? FWG cores seem to be the rage right now, and this one would warp the meta, I think. Milotic's a heck of a wall, entei works great at killing bisharp, plus great priority, and aboma hits like a truck with frost breath and bullet seed. post sets later.

(where do you find those pretty sprites again? can'd find em)

What about Entei+milotic+mega abomasnow? FWG cores seem to be the rage right now, and this one would warp the meta, I think. Milotic's a heck of a wall, entei works great at killing bisharp, plus great priority, and aboma hits like a truck with frost breath and bullet seed. post sets later.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/xy/sprites_pokemon.php

Regardless, I'd like to see cores including non-buffed Pokémon. Aside from Reuniclus, there's a ton of u-turners or volt switchers which look like they could get in Steelix nicely such as Raikou or Scizor.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/infernape.gif
^ I get mine from there. Just copy the link, then when you want to add the sprite, just change the name of the Pokemon (e.g. abomasnow-mega, charizard-mega-x, milotic, etc.) over infernape. You add it to a post using the thingy after the smiley face (called Image, if you hover over it). Also, Protean Goodra looks AMAZING (and it happens to rip apart that core, with Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Draco Meteor :L). In fact, it can even 2HKO the previously posted Cradily set with LO Ice Beam. It is basically a Greninja with less speed, tons more bulk, and slightly better coverage, as well as better attacking stats.

EDIT: Oh god Reuniclus+Mega Steelix... TRICK ROOM. Set up TR, Volt Switch to MegaLix, Curse, then Gyro Ball sweep, with EdgeQuake coverage. RIP enemies. If you can trap an unsuspecting wall that can't do anything do it (i.e. something that relies on Toxic stall, without an attack move, or a weak attack move) then you can sweep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)