Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast / Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Submissions for the final teammate are open!

Might as well be the first person to make a nomination.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Currently, the team lacks anything to take on Water-type attacks (especially annoying from something like Starmie, which outspeeds Thundurus), and also Weavile is a problem since it can OHKO everything except Mega Lopunny with the right move, and Lop can be taken down by LO Icicle Crash + Ice Shard. Oh, and a little priority would be nice on an offense team, y'know? For revenge killing purposes. Hence, Azumarill.

This is a Choice Band set because otherwise the team would be too weak to Mega Scizor (not that we can't beat it, but it's not our best matchup), plus it helps to have a little wallbreaking power that doesn't require setup. Ice Punch is run over Superpower or Knock Off because we can just double-switch into Mega Lopunny or Porygon-Z if the opponent has a Ferrothorn or Skarmory or Slowbro or whatever, while our matchup against other bulky Grass-types is more tenuous. It takes a huge chunk out of Amoonguss (77.7 - 91.6%). The damage it gets on Tangrowth is barely more than Play Rough, but it's enough:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin / Spikes

It'd be a bit boring imo if only one Theorymon were to make it into the sample team, but as it happens, I'd probably go with Water Absorb Forretress even if I didn't think that. With Water Absorb, Forretress is able to patch up a lot of the team's holes. First and foremost, Stealth Rock. Like any offence team, this one we've got going would greatly benefit from the chip damage and pressure supplied by getting some hazards up on the field.
Next, Forretress' unique combination of Bug/Steel typing and Water Absorb, paired with its great physical bulk and Volt Switch make it an awesome pivot for this team. In particular Forretress is able to switch into a multitude of powerful water types that the team struggles with taking (such as Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Azumaril, Keldeo, Manaphy, Starmie, and Feraligatr), and bounce off of them with Volt Switch, chaining into either Thundurus, FO Mega Lop, or Scarf Rachi (With Thunder Punch). This slow Volt-Switch can also be very useful for bringing in Porygon-Z for set up opportunities.
Perhaps worthy of further note is that Forretress greatly eases the team's matchup against Rain, walling Omastar, Kabutops and Mega Swampert, while doing okay against Kingdra, and can at the very least stall out a lot of rain turns with the help of Mega Lop's Fake Out.
My last couple of points are that Forretress forms a Volt-Turn core with Jirachi (Not the most Fire resistant one but one none the less) and that Forretress can also bring hazard removal to the table, which isn't of the highest priority on this team but it does help out Thundurus a fair bit. Alternatively you could opt to go for Spikes for more hazard damage, which works really well with our initial core of Mega Lopunny and Porygon-Z.
I decided to go the defensive set over Custap because I thought that Forretress' pivoting ability would be too valuable for this team to concede.

Okay let's wrap this vote up. Sorry we took our time on such a unanimous vote, the council has been a bit busy lately.
So the obvious winner was Forretress, winning 10-1.

So the complete team is looking like this:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch / Healing Wish

Porygon-Z @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Adaptability
Modest/Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
- Healing Wish / Fire Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt / Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Thundurus @ Life Orb
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin / Spikes

But we're not done just yet. To ensure that we have the most optimal team possible, we're going to leave the CCAT Project open for a short while longer in order to make any last changes and finalise the team. Changes can be as small as changing a single move on a set, or as large as compressing the roles of two pokemon into one and adding another member. You can pretty much make any changes you want so long as they don't completely change the team or the idea of it, and we'd also like to keep Mega Lopunny and Porygon-Z, as they were the main core and building blocks of the team. Once you're done making suggested changes, throw in an import of your proposed final team so that it's easier to vote.
Because this create a team thing has been a bit momentum draining, and I'm sure many of you would love to get back onto some traditional slates, I plan on monitoring this a lot more closely and only keeping it open for 2 days submitting and 2 voting.

EDIT: I'll submit the proposed changes that Magma and I discussed when a have a little more time on my hands.

Last edited:

Magma

Yeah, during the final teammate submission period I mentioned to Isa Simple that the team would appreciate the addition of Forretress and Azumarill, as they both patch up key holes in the team. I'll leave the heavy explaining to Isa...
Isa Simple said:
Azumarill pretty much just doubles up a bunch of roles to maintain a strong team without any over reliance on keeping a certain mon alive. Its strong priority makes it a strong revenge killer taking pressure off of our faster mons. Its high unboosted power reduces the need to create set up opportunities. It helps Forretress checking Mamo, Keldeo, Weavile, Latios, Rain, and Sand. It helps Thundurus with Zard-X. It acts as a second Mega Sableye killer alongside Mega Lopunny, reducing the risk of bunny being burned. Plus it even acts as a secondary Tankchomp killer alongside Thundurus which again helpful for Lopunny. But most importantly, Azumarill adds a much appreciated Fire resist to the team.

To free up a roster spot, I thought it'd be best if we: removed Scarf Jirachi and shifted it's role onto Gliscor by replacing it with a Scarfed version of it's Ground/Flying counter-part, Landorus-T.
Isa Simple said:
Yeah, there isn't an awful lot that Jirachi and Gliscor do for the team that Scarfed Landorus-T couldn't do by itself. Jirachi brought a nice pivot with a bit of bulk and U-Turn, whilst being able to revenge hyper fast Megas like Aero, Alakazam, and Beedrill. Gliscor beat Sand and brought a Knock Off user and T-Wave soaker. Though all of these traits listed thus far can be taken up by Scarf Lando-T, so it makes sense to compress those two and bring in the dog. Lando-T also checks plenty of additional mons of its own, and importantly creates a far better Volt-Turn core with Forretress (Like, this is actually a really good Volt-Turn core which we should even consider building around again). We definitely gain a lot more than we lose imo, with the biggest gain of course being opening up a team slot to patch some holes.

With that said, we are left with this final proposed team:

Toyz R'us (Porygon-Z + Thundurus/Landorus)

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out

Porygon-Z @ Spooky Plate
Modest/Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Agility
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin / Spikes

You probably didn't notice, but I made a minor moveset change by slashing Substitute over Agility on Porygon-Z. A SubPlot set helps the team get passed Chansey led Stall teams (now that Taunt Gliscor is no longer in the picture) while still giving Porygon-Z the ability to annoy offensive switch-ins, as well as protection from Pursuit.

Isa also had a small change to make as well (and then went on to summarize this version of the theorymon CCAT perfectly):
Isa Simple said:
Because of the move to replace Jirachi and Gliscor with Landorus, the most prominent thing we lost is our ability to check fairies (Bulky and not so much). To remedy this I think we should switch Forretress' spread to a Specially Defensive variant, allowing it to face Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie nicely, while still being able to take on everything it was initially put on the team for (It doesn't stop Kabutops anymore but it walls Kingdra instead which is probably better). The SpD spread is a bit weaker to Mamoswine and Keldeo, but it still handles them solidly, plus CB Azumaril lends a massive hand.

Also with the loss of Jirachi and Gliscor, now pretty much the only thing that can apply enough pressure to stop Mega Audino from setting up and sweeping is CB Azumarill. (Other bulky set-up sweepers like M-Scizor and Clefable are problematic as well.) But basically the team is already pretty well rounded - covering all the roles and checking all the threats necessary for Offence (aka Fast Electrics, Weavile, Bisharp, Latis, Rain, Sand, Lopunny, Talonflame, Torn-T, Keldeo, Azumaril, Zard-X, Malt, Mega Sab, and Tank Chomp.)

Yeah, during the final teammate submission period I mentioned to Isa Simple that the team would appreciate the addition of Forretress and Azumarill, as they both patch up key holes in the team. I'll leave the heavy explaining to Isa...

To free up a roster spot, I thought it'd be best if we: removed Scarf Jirachi and shifted it's role onto Gliscor by replacing it with a Scarfed version of it's Ground/Flying counter-part, Landorus-T.

With that said, we are left with this final proposed team:

Toyz R'us (Porygon-Z + Thundurus/Landorus)

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out

Porygon-Z @ Spooky Plate
Modest/Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Agility
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin / Spikes

You probably didn't notice, but I made a minor moveset change by slashing Substitute over Agility on Porygon-Z. A SubPlot set helps the team get passed Chansey led Stall teams (now that Taunt Gliscor is no longer in the picture) while still giving Porygon-Z the ability to annoy offensive switch-ins, as well as protection from Pursuit.

Isa also had a small change to make as well (and then went on to summarize this version of the theorymon CCAT perfectly):
This is a better version of the team, really, with the small problem that it's absolutely blown back by Mega Audino. Nothing here nets the 2HKO on physically defensive spreads (Azumarill narrowly misses the 2HKO), and it comes in easily on just about everything except Porygon-Z and Azumarill. To this end I would just suggest this version of the team:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Porygon-Z @ Spooky Plate
Modest/Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
It's still weak to MAudino, but it's otherwise a very solid team, so as long as it doesn't just keel over I'm fine with it. Basically, it opts for Adamant PuP Mega Lop because check this out:

+1 252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 174-205 (42.4 - 50%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 159-187 (38.7 - 45.6%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And yes, it still outspeeds Scarftar.

Thundurus is given Taunt, and moreover switched out for its standard stallbreaker set, because we still can't afford to let Audino set up, and you best believe it'll try to do that on Thundy. It has Volt Switch to pivot out to something that can pressure it out afterwards. Forretress opts for Rapid Spin to make sure the opponent can't wear the team down and just use Mega Audino to close out the game. And Porygon-Z will opt for Agility because the team is already pretty good at handling stall between the surprisingly strong Mega Lop, lure-y Ice Punch on Azumarill, and Taunt+Lefties Thundurus. Also stall is just worse than offense, which Agility will let P-Z wreck.

EDIT: Apparently the team has trouble with MScizor and Clefable? Check this shit out:

252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 162-192 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO

EDIT 2: I just realized that it's actually really fuckin weak to specially-oriented Flying-types, since Thundurus is a shitty Flying resist and our nominal bird check is just Scarf Lando-T. Specifically Swanna and Tornadus-T, but Moltres can get in on Forretress on anything except Volt Switch and on either of our choiced mons if they're not locked into the right move and from there it's a threat. That's not quite so easy to handle without finding another Steel-type to fit in somewhere, so IDK someone else take up the task.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)