Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello Smogon, I'm a teenager. After almost three years in said profession, my parents are finally beginning to grate on me. Perhaps this thread might help me become less annoyed with them, and apply some perspective to what is effectively a bunch of hormones pouring into a generational gap. If not, at least it'll be some kind of catharsis for me. Ready steady go-

I think I'll begin this almost essay-like post with a nod in the direction of To Kill a Mockingbird, which happens to be one of my favourite books of all time, but this isn't a book review thread. I think my family draws a lot of parallels with the Finch family -- the main characters of the book, if you're unfamiliar (if you are, go read it!) -- and a certain quote in particular resonated with me. Scout, the narrator, says 'Jem and I found our father adequate'. This is a bit like the relationship I have with my father.

When I was young -- in fact, until the age of seven -- I had very little contact with my dad. This was because he used to run a printing business and worked from the small hours of the morning (~4:00am) until late at night (midnight, perhaps spilling over into the morning). In a rigidly-structured household like mine, it became very rare that I would see my dad, as I would be asleep whenever he was in the house. On the few occasions on which my dad and I went on days out together, I thought it was great that I could finally get to know the guy. Still, I think I was perhaps more glad of being rid of my sister, and having some sweets at the cinema I guess.

Naturally the absence of my dad left me in the care of my mother, to whom I will henceforth call 'mum' (and if you don't like that, ye Americans, you don't have to read this hormonal rant of mine). I suppose only ever really having my mum as a parent during my formative years has left me a great deal more feminine than I ought to be, but I'm pretty confident that I'm straight so I suppose this is another example for 'nature' in the origins of sexuality argument. Anyway, I digress. I guess I'll just say that while my care was nothing special, I don't harbour any grudges against her or anything like that.

So after that verbose -- yet distinctly detail-lacking -- family history, how did this rift begin to develop? I suppose it began a year or so ago, perhaps to the month. Perhaps to the week, it was certainly about this time of year. If you've read my previous laments in other people's threads then you'll know that it was my sister who first decided that her chosen career would be an author, and naturally upon producing her first novel(-la, given it was a mere 21,000 words) my parents were thrilled. The second time, with an incredible increase on the previous by 5,000 words, they were also thrilled. Perhaps their daughter could become a great success? And so they devoted their energies to making her life a success. I suppose it has always been that way, since she's my elder by a year. Not that you would guess it, given that she's both shorter and less mature than I, but anyway...

It was actually in January of this year that I, too, decided that this writing lark would be for me. If you've read up to this point and haven't killed yourself, then I suppose I might stick to that choice.. Upon presenting my own novel (50,000 words, suck it sis) to a former English teacher of mine -- my family had declined to read it -- he said that he thought I had the talent necessary to make as an author, save for one weakness of mine. I stood there, quite certain of what he was going to say. He was, of course, going to say that I'm too verbose. I need to cut down on my use of subordinate clauses, like these, and get my point across more economically. I was quite shocked when he instead said "self-confidence". I realised that I hadn't really bothered to do anything, due to the lack of parental support. It was then that I realised I would have to work independently to have any hope of success. So I isolated myself and began to keep secrets from my parents, not that they would do anything with such information, of course.

Oh, and my dad eventually did read my novel. He said it was "weird".

Hm, where am I going with this... Ah, yes.

Whenever family members visited, the topic of conversation would be that my sister had written a novel. Not me, of course. Why would anything I had written be greater? And so I isolated myself further. Perhaps my own isolation caused my parents to bond with her further. She can do pretty much anything she likes, and indeed be the definition of immaturity, yet when I respond -- quite calmly -- to questions about whether I can handle my extreme workload (which naturally isn't as large as my sister's, who nevertheless manages due to her exceptional intellect) I am often berated.

In fact, such a situation spawned my writing of this thread. After calmly foregoing some of the sandwiches my mum had made (knowing that I don't like them, as I've told her at least thrice in the past two months) she decided to spring the ultimate question: have I done my homework. From my, admittedly irritated, perspective, this seems an awful lot like using a prompt to take out some anger on me. I calmly reply 'no'. She then shouts to my Dad that I am always snapping at her (note: I'm still in the room). My dad shouts back that she should nip such behaviour in the bud. I then silently accept a tirade of insults.

I know I've talked about isolating myself from my family, but my behaviour hasn't changed particularly in the past six months, so when did it ever become like this? Why am I suddnely but a punching bag for someone's stress, but I can't even whisper of my own? If anything, these situations, which have not been uncommon over the past few weeks, will prompt me to further distance myself from my family.

So, Smogon, I put this to you. Am I dealing with bad parents, a bad collection of teenage hormones, or some mixture of the two? I said that, at the very least, this thread would be some form of catharsis for me, and I guess it has. I'm not really angry any more, but there is no resolution to the problem either.

If you've read everything, then I sincerely thank you. I suppose I'll imagine that everyone who comments did, because that will make me feel better.

Oh, and perhaps posting your own stories would help me too.

Thanks.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hormones. Once you hit around 19 it'll stop. It really does depend on the person though, I'm 17 and only started to grate against my parents at around mid-16 ish.

It's weird for me because my dad divorced my mom. He still loves me though and wants to spend as much time as he can with me..... But him being out of the house doesn't feel weird at all.... Probably because he was always working and going to places like toronto for work meetings so he was away for weeks at a time. Ironically we've been seeing each other more and more often even though he doesn't live in the house.

Now my mom on the other hand, I get along with just fine. It's so weird because we read the same comics, watch the same TV shows, and are both artists at heart. We've even been able to tell what the other is thinking sometimes 0_0

But I guess I just need to let God tell me which way to go when it comes to my parents. Hopefully God can change my dad's heart and bring him into the light of things.

EDIT: I suggest you let Him guide you too. Hope I can help.

Firstly, I don't think your expectations -- that your parents should nurture you and celebrate your successes -- are unreasonable.

It's hard to tell what your family dynamic is like from the information given, and thus to make a judgment as to your question, but have you ever tried talking to them (politely, and not approaching in an accusatory manner, of course, though I'm sure you know) about this? They should realise they're neglecting your need for affirmation too, but maybe they don't. People aren't perfect, including your sister and including your parents.

In the scenario you described, it's possible that since you said 'no', she took that as being abrupt, or overly terse. Instead, you could've said, 'no, but I'm going to be working on it <x> so that I can get it finished by <y>', but that might not have been enough -- perhaps she misinterpreted your tone of voice, or was irritated already, in which case you can't really prevent her from taking her bad mood out on you.

Remember that you aren't inferior just because you perceive someone as feeling you are.

It's weird for me because my dad divorced my mom. He still loves me though and wants to spend as much time as he can with me..... But him being out of the house doesn't feel weird at all.... Probably because he was always working and going to places like toronto for work meetings so he was away for weeks at a time. Ironically we've been seeing each other more and more often even though he doesn't live in the house.

Now my mom on the other hand, I get along with just fine. It's so weird because we read the same comics, watch the same TV shows, and are both artists at heart. We've even been able to tell what the other is thinking sometimes 0_0

But I guess I just need to let God tell me which way to go when it comes to my parents. Hopefully God can change my dad's heart and bring him into the light of things.

EDIT: I suggest you let Him guide you too. Hope I can help.
I'm not sure what the problem is here, I'm sorry. You have a very loving and close relationship with your mother, and your father loves and wants to be around you. There may be something you're omitting -- are you being made to choose between them, as warring parents sometimes do? It doesn't sound (forgive me if I am wrong) like you're struggling to adapt to their divorce, which I can understand may not be so great. Is it that you want them to get back together for your mom's sake?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Most teens rub against their parents. This sounds completely normal. It was that way for me, till I moved out and moved on.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
you can't easily dismiss problems and things you're feeling due to 'hormones.' and as for hormones just stopping LOL, I think everyone reaches a point where they start to feel more emotionally charged toward things and then oops you're just growing into your own person, not just your own teenager for a few years. Is it just you and your sister, then? It's usually a trend that the first born will earn 'most of the attention' but I say that very loosely, since it's not a universal condition. It's actually an interesting topic - I'd say that I were in a reverse position with attention-alotted problems between my YOUNGER sister and I, she being 19 and myself being 21. My parents are divorced (since I was like 1?) and my sister's are as well, her father is living in Arizona and my father is still in Indiana in the house I very recently moved out of. My point was, my mother has devoted her energy and efforts to doing anything towards my sister's dancing career, and her life in general. I hardly talk to my mother besides information I need to know about, like health insurance and getting more contacts here in Georgia for my prescription, but otherwise, meh.

I suppose the other difference between your situation and mine is that I don't really care that I've distanced myself from my mother, and have my own harbored animosity toward her that merits no want of contact. I love her, duh, always, but perhaps I can admit that I've gotten past my teenage angst and rebellion against her and just realized that we're two different people, and she's not one I need to socialize with to maintain a connection, I just know and respect her as my mother, and leave it at that. You sound very level-headed in discussing the situation with your parents, so I don't think it is 'hormones' causing you to overreact or overanalyze your situation, begging your question for us on smogon to diagnose what's actually going on. Maybe just be frank with your parents? Ask them why they aren't equally as interested in your possible writing career as they are your sister's, or if they maintain that you're always mouthing off, perhaps ACTUALLY mouthing off will give them some perspective and something to think about? I'm not suggesting you bitch slap your parents verbally, but there's nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, especially to your parents. Take it as a good chance to practice for everyone else you disagree with in life.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i do find your writing to be a little verbose.

anyway, i'm 17, 18 in like, a week, my parents have been fairly relaxed, but they are both quite overprotective, esp. my dad. they insist on giving the same 'advice' over and over, and berating me quite a lot, given, some of it is my fault and i doubt i have had the same amount of shit you had, but it's best to just stay silent, remember that they are your parents, and respond in a calm manner.

often time you will be convinced that you are right in some cases, and how ever true this is your parents will frustratingly persist (they think in roles reversed). i have managed to convinced them one or two times of my way of thinking but often time i argue once, then give up; it isn't worth it.

it's probably a mix of your hormones and your parents, but from what i can tell the latter is more largely at fault. i'd recommend not lashing out and just taking it, it's our job as kids.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tom Wolfe said:
Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner or later... that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could, out of a sense of duty and, perhaps love, adopted a role called 'Being a Father' so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life.

My mother is amazing, and I'm not gonna say I have a bad relationship with my dad either. There was always a large religious influence for me for treating your parents as much as possible with sayings like "Heaven is underneath your mother's feet" and such.

That's not to say I'm a good son, I think I'm terrible in how I deal with them, but I can chalk most of that up to teenage angst, I guess. I try to do my best to not be too obnoxious.

My parents are immigrants and while they are better than a lot of immigrant parents, don't completely relate with me. It used to grate me so hard as a kid when I would bring home straight A's and my parents would just tell me to do better next time, or anything like that. Thankfully, I have two older brothers at 8 and 13 years older, and they were able to fill in on some of those roles as they got older and saw that I needed things like that.

After seeing both of my brothers having kids and how much they have to deal with, it's helped me get over some of the small "shortcomings" my parents have, though. It's really quite amazing how much they do for their kids. I do feel like I should go easy on them considering how "easy" they had to go on me when I was an aggravating little kid.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't normally post in these BUT

I'd actually suggest that you go back and re-read your novel again. When I wrote my first obligatory hormonally-charged little novel (70,000 words, I WIN), naturally I felt immensely proud of the achievement, and all that. It wasn't really like your case at all, though. I got plenty of adulation for it, even if I didn't really want it. But the thing is... when I read it over again, objectively, I hated it. I mean really hated it. It was possibly the most awful mixture of twisted emotions and irrational lashings out at society that could possibly ferment within a teenagers mind. Not to mention that everybody seemed to think that the main character was me (and this was the typically emotionally-void protagonist thing), and that basically all the characters I'd included appeared to be caricatures of people I knew. It just read like a train wreck. Not the writing, just the reflection on myself as a person. The writing was all right, but there was no subtlety or elegance to it.

Personally, I feel this is perhaps a good thing. Going back and looking over something so utterly personal as a novel is a good way to look at yourself, or so I feel; it's one of the only times when you're almost being totally honest with yourself. It helped me, anyway. Although, perhaps that's because I'm a bit of an egomaniac... amongst other things.

Oh, and as for parents... does isolation really worry you that much? I'm still trying to work out what it is you really are angry about (or not, as the case may be). For my part, I hardly ever communicate with my parents anyway. That's not because I prefer the company of my peers; I can't stand the teenage bastards. Myself, nobody likes me anyway, but I'm something of a combination of a totally rational and a highly charged, emotional side. Which can get really irritating in social situations. Well, all I can say is, generally there are more important things in life to be worrying about than what is supposed to make you happy, or at least contented. I'd make use of parents well, while you still can. Worse happens at sea.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't really have those sorts of problems and my total lack of empathy prevents me from being any help at all. Hope that made you feel better.

Oh and go tell your sister that 21,000 words is a novella, not a novel. Honestly.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this got a lot of responses very quickly.

Firstly, I don't think your expectations -- that your parents should nurture you and celebrate your successes -- are unreasonable.

It's hard to tell what your family dynamic is like from the information given, and thus to make a judgment as to your question, but have you ever tried talking to them (politely, and not approaching in an accusatory manner, of course, though I'm sure you know) about this? They should realise they're neglecting your need for affirmation too, but maybe they don't. People aren't perfect, including your sister and including your parents.

In the scenario you described, it's possible that since you said 'no', she took that as being abrupt, or overly terse. Instead, you could've said, 'no, but I'm going to be working on it <x> so that I can get it finished by <y>', but that might not have been enough -- perhaps she misinterpreted your tone of voice, or was irritated already, in which case you can't really prevent her from taking her bad mood out on you.

Remember that you aren't inferior just because you perceive someone as feeling you are.
Hi pluff! I was looking forward to hearing your opinion. I have actually tried 'having it out' with my parents, but it doesn't really solve anything. They claim to be supportive in the spur of the moment, but then their behaviour says the opposite. As for Fishy's suggestion, my dad shouts quite loudly, and I would rather not bother.

For those curious, my sister and I are the only children.

tom wolfe is great don't you think Alch
Yes.

bugmaniacbob said:

I'd actually suggest that you go back and re-read your novel again. When I wrote my first obligatory hormonally-charged little novel (70,000 words, I WIN), naturally I felt immensely proud of the achievement, and all that. It wasn't really like your case at all, though. I got plenty of adulation for it, even if I didn't really want it. But the thing is... when I read it over again, objectively, I hated it. I mean really hated it. It was possibly the most awful mixture of twisted emotions and irrational lashings out at society that could possibly ferment within a teenagers mind. Not to mention that everybody seemed to think that the main character was me (and this was the typically emotionally-void protagonist thing), and that basically all the characters I'd included appeared to be caricatures of people I knew. It just read like a train wreck. Not the writing, just the reflection on myself as a person. The writing was all right, but there was no subtlety or elegance to it.
I actually have re-read it -- with a six month gap from when I finished it -- and I laughed at the funny parts, and felt sad at the sad parts. I suppose I have an audience with people who have humour like mine (read: few) at least. Thanks for the suggestion though!

bugmaniacbob said:
Oh, and as for parents... does isolation really worry you that much? I'm still trying to work out what it is you really are angry about (or not, as the case may be). For my part, I hardly ever communicate with my parents anyway. That's not because I prefer the company of my peers; I can't stand the teenage bastards. Myself, nobody likes me anyway, but I'm something of a combination of a totally rational and a highly charged, emotional side. Which can get really irritating in social situations. Well, all I can say is, generally there are more important things in life to be worrying about than what is supposed to make you happy, or at least contented. I'd make use of parents well, while you still can. Worse happens at sea.
I suppose I'm most afraid about being lonely, and having the lack of support I feel is necessary to get somewhere in life. I think my situation would be a lot worse if I couldn't vomit my angst into a thread here (though hopefully it's a little more presentable than that). To make an extended metaphor out of an idiom, I can see the storm from the docks, but I don't have the right boat for it.

This. So this. The one hitch is that, honestly, almost all writers/artists/musicians look back on old work and hate it, no matter the quality. But, if you can read your old work and supress the urge to incinerate it, you've got a good start.

About your parents, everyone finds their own faults in their parents once adolescence kicks in. Admittedly, it seems your parents are a bit more apathetic towards you, (or just plain rude) but without knowing the whole story none of us can judge their actions thoroughly. As said earlier, you should be trying to work things out with them by confronting them about your apparent neglect and status as a doormat. Your reclusiveness from them is only exacerbating any problems you had with them in the first place.

EDIT: You should bring up how much their support affects your self-confidence. Tell them that you have serious aspirations to be a writer (and not just trying to upstage your sis) and their honest approval of your dreams really means a lot to you. Maybe you should bring up your fears of loneliness with either them or another adult that you look up to/trust with advice?

hi alch

I've had issues with my parents as well, particularly with my dad. He has taken upon himself the task of making sure I don't do anything stupid, and behave well, and I respect him immensely for it.
However, every once in a while I'll be subjected to an hour or two of unending berating. Not that I don't deserve it; but it can be pretty tiring, to say the least, and in my final days at my house, I was pretty much sick of him.
Recently, this has been happening essentially every day. However, ever since I moved out to board at my school, things have been a lot better between my dad and I.

When I talked about this issue I had with my friends, they suggested that my parents might be stressed because I'm getting older/ moving out, and in retrospect it makes a lot of sense.

Regardless of whether your parents nurture you or not, I am sure that you will be a success one day. You know what the SAT essay prompts say...

Adversity breeds genius

On the topic of your English teacher saying that you are too verbose, I can DEFINITELY see how that is true. You, like many teenagers, tend to think that the number of words put into a body of work is directly proportional to the quality of said work. I can see this through your criticism of your sister's works, like when you said that her first novel was only 21,000 words or when you said that her second was only 26,000. This is not the case. Many expert novelists have trained themselves to use as few words possible when addressing their points. What makes their works excellent are their ideas and technique. This is most likely why your parents seem to favour her works over yours. Her works are more accessible to them due to their concise nature and their, I'm assuming, simpler nature. I am sure that you are a very good writer as of now, but if when master the art of condensation, I am sure that you will become a beyond excellent writer. It is ok to write like Charles Dickens or Nathaniel Hawthorne to an extent, however modern culture is generally hugely intimidated by this sort of language. You are extremely smart, however writing things the way you do could make people believe that you are less-so because they might think you are dressing up your words to make yourself sound smarter. This is just my non-expert advice; take it as you wish.

man do I LOOOOVE these kinds of threads!

anyways iDunno I think you're off base... I don't think that Alch's parents just dislike his work less, they just have favour his sister for other reason that he (and I!) don't understand. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to counsel you because it seems rather hard to identify why your parents are neglecting you. Just like jumpluff said, your "demands" for lack of a more precise word are not in any way unreasonable and I don't believe you're on crazy pills (or in the context of this thread, just some hormone-y teenager). For the record on these forums you don't strike me as irrational or angry whatsoever!

My PERSONAL take on this is that your parents don't understand the gravity of this issue, and apparently whatever you've said to them in previous attempts to sit them down and explain it hasn't worked. I have no idea how you would go about getting their attention though, because they seem rather insensitive. Of course typical teen reaction would be parents don't understand me -> grab their attention by jumping off a bridge but thank God you're smarter than that! This is just a misunderstanding, and I'm sure that your parents love you and care for you deeply. Like I said, they just don't understand this issue and I don't THINK they are being deliberately belligerent (don't think I used that right, you're the writer!). I wish you the best of luck! I don't have much to post about my parental situation since I don't have any problems worth complaining about with them.

anyways iDunno I think you're off base... I don't think that Alch's parents just dislike his work less, they just have favour his sister for other reason that he (and I!) don't understand. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to counsel you because it seems rather hard to identify why your parents are neglecting you. Just like jumpluff said, your "demands" for lack of a more precise word are not in any way unreasonable and I don't believe you're on crazy pills (or in the context of this thread, just some hormone-y teenager). For the record on these forums you don't strike me as irrational or angry whatsoever!
I don't think they dislike his work less either; I just think it's harder to understand for them.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING COULD POSSIBLY BE EXTREMELY OFF-BASE AND PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY IF IT IS!!!

When I see your verbose prose and impressive syntax, I see a person who believes that what they write is great, but who also believes that they are lacking in other areas, which leads to overcompensation. Because of this, I can see you being possibly a quiet loner-type who is friendly, but intimidating. You have friends and people like you but you prefer being alone because you find socializing taxing. You respect authority, but you only do so on your own terms. You are the type that seeks criticism in search of praise which leads me to believe that you know how intelligent you are. Due to this fact, I could discern that you may regularly display this intelligence to your parents, expecting them to praise you when you do. Judging by the language you have been using in your post (which is honestly the only evidence I have on your personality so I apologize if I come off as presumptuous), this is certainly a possibility.

One possible reason why your parents may be acting the way they are is because they might think that you think you are egotistical and think you are smarter than them. I'm not saying this is true, of course, but it is certainly possible. My parents have called me out in the past in this regard, and to an extent, I see their point. There are times where I might have seemed condescending when I am really trying to help them, and I have been trying to fix that. In your anecdote of how your mother asked you if you did your homework, you said that you calmly said "no". Well, this could also be interpreted as delusion in hindsight which plagues many people. In reality, you could have came across as exasperated and annoyed, which could definitely set your mother off.

On the other hand, there is also the possibility that your parents DO in fact recognize your talent, which I definitely do NOT doubt. They could just be under the impression that you have a big ego and they are just trying to keep themselves from inflating it more than they have to. I think they are nurturing you in their own way. If you parents truly did NOT care about you, they would not ask you questions like whether your workload is too big or whether you did you homework or not. They would just ignore you. I believe that they think you are just trying to win a sort of competition against your sister; that you are taking these hard classes to have a chance to best her and that you want to write a book to beat her at something she had been successful in. Your parents want you to be successful; just not for the wrong reasons.

Well don't feel bad Alch :( I am 13 (yes surprise) and I isolated from my mum and my sisters since I was 10 why? Because I am the only GUY in my house they always did what my sisters wanted, only what they wanted I became as being a rejected child while i was still a kid I was always looking for attention from my mum but no matter how HARD I tried I couldnt get it my uncle finally recognized my humor and love for soccer since then he was always open to me but there is a problem with my uncle.. He is a pilot and spends 3 months on India :/

This is making me sad. In anyway your parents aren't the only one that can support you and care for you, look for someone that deeply cares for you no matter if it is for an elapsed time you can feel loved even if it is not your parents

On that note your parents love you, they don't hate you! It's just that they can't express their love to you sure it seems like they dont but they do.

Hope I helped.

Maybe you should mention your Mom and Dads relationship a bit to help give some insight on how you and your sister are treated. Who calls the shots in the house usually?

im asian and my parents are the best in the world i have immense respect for them and the hard trials that they underwent in order to give me a good home and food on the plate in glorious new nation of australia and all my grandparents and extended family are also amazing people and i will become a doctor to make them happy and when i am 40 they will move in with me and my wife who is also from laos and we will produce grandchildren for my parents so they may be proud of me

Alch, you've always stricken me as someone who is extremely mature and introspective. Your OP didn't seem hormonally-driven at all; quite the opposite, in fact, since you seem to have thought about all of this deeply.

From what I understand, there are a few things you might want to consider (and this is just my personal take on things from the information given; it's probably not perfect advice, so just take it however you wish):

-Isolation probably isn't the best solution. Since your problem is mainly that they don't understand you and your seriousness about your goals to become a great writer, isolating yourself from your parents is most likely only exacerbating the problem. They're more likely to understand if you make repeated efforts to open up with them, because then they'll be able to relate better. Believe me, opening up isn't easy at first, but if you really want them to understand, it's the way to go. Just keep talking to them about your goals and accomplishments-- what you want to write, what you've written recently, where you think you might want to go to college, worries about your future, etc-- and also ask them about theirs, both from when they were your age and now. I used to have similar problems, and they actually did go away gradually when I started opening up more, so it's something to think about.

The other thing that stands out to me in your OP is, like your teacher said, a lack of self-confidence. For example, you're worried that others will cast your concerns aside because they are "hormonal", when they are exactly the opposite. You need to stop worrying so much about what others think about you, and do what you think is best for your future prospects. Have you tried at all to get your novel published? If you haven't, you should. Really, it's wonderful to have your parents' approval and support, but it's also wonderful to be able to succeed with or without them. If you believe in yourself and fight for what you want in life, working hard every step of the way, things will work out... hopefully, anyway.

Best of luck!!! Also, jumpluff's response makes a lot of sense, too, as does Temperantia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)