Peakmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hollywood

This is a metagame where moves, abilities, and the Pokemon themselves are at their peak. For example, remember when Blizzard was at 90 accuracy in R/B/Y? Or when Drizzle summoned permanent rain up to B2/W2? Or when Scyther has 105 speed but loses it when he evolves into Scizor? Well not anymore, I say! Blizzard will have 120 power and 90 accuracy, auto-weather will be permanent (despite my disliking it), and any stat drops due to evolution no longer exist. To put it roughly, this is a metagame where everything that had a peaking point is at that point once again. Do note that Mega Evolutions and alternate forms won't be built off of any improved stats, so Mega Scizor won't be at base 115 speed and will remain at 75, and Rotom-W won't have 91 base speed. Any changes to a type's resistances/weaknesses throughout history will remain as they currently are this meta, so Steel still lacks Dark and Ghost resistances. Also note that movepools won't change; only the effects of moves will change, and moves that effect other moves will not change, so Roar still breaks through Protect, since it's impossible to improve Protect without nerfing Roar. Hidden abilities are released (not abilities a Pokemon only has in BW, such as Shadow Tag Chandelure).

Here are some examples of Pokemon becoming much stronger:

Gengar now has a 70% accurate Hypnosis, so now he can more reliably put things to sleep and set up a sub.

Scizor can utilize base 105 speed to great effect as a Choice Band or Swords Dance sweeper, no longer needing Bullet Punch, and actually being able to opt for Metal Claw.

Most Water-types and every special attacking Ice-type can use a base 120 power, 90% accurate Blizzard to destroy Grass- and Dragon-types.

Mega Charizard Y with Blast Burn... I think you can figure out the rest.

Hyper Beam and all other moves like it will not put a Pokemon in the recharge state if the move KOes a Pokemon.

The Freeze condition will only go away when a Fire-type move is used or a move/ability heals the condition.

Explosion and Self-Destruct cut the opponent's defense in half during its use.

Critical hits are 2x as powerful as opposed to 1.5x.

If the first hit to a multi-hit move is a critical hit, then the rest of the hits are also critical, and vice-versa.

Leech Seed gradually drains more health per turn if the target is also inflicted with Toxic.

Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning summon permanent weather. Prepare for hell here.

Feint has 50 power and has +2 priority.

Frost Breath and Storm Throw have 120 base power factoring in the critical hit.

Reflect and Light Screen are permanent until the user switches out.

Disable lasts up to 6 turns, Encore lasts up to 8 turns, and Taunt lasts up to 5 turns, and the number of turns are randomized.

(High) Jump Kick only causes the user to lose 1 HP as opposed to half. Wowzers.

Psychic drops Special Defense 30% of the time.

Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt are at 95 power.

Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder, and Hurricane are at 120 power.

Blizzard has 90% accuracy and a 30% chance to freeze.

Fire Blast has a 30% chance to inflict burn.

Struggle recoils 50% of the damage dealt to the target.

Belly Drum raises Attack by 2 stages when used with less than 50% HP.

Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse are at 90 power.

Self-Destruct and Explosion will not cause the user to faint when it breaks the opponent's Substitute. This also applies to Hyper Beam and all other variants.

If a Pokemon is flinched, put to sleep, or frozen during a chargeup stage of a move, such as Sky Attack and Geomancy, the chargeup is only delayed, not prevented entirely.

If a Pokemon is KOed with a recoil move, the user doesn't take recoil damage.

Roar and Whirlwind have -1 priority.

Focus Punch's charge has a priority of +8.

Mimic can now copy Metronome.

Swift and all other moves that never miss can hit a Pokemon in the semi-invulnerable state, such as when using Dig or Fly.

Pokemon with Magic Guard can't be fully paralyzed.

Sky Drop works on everything, regardless of its weight.

Double-Edge's recoil is only 1/4 of the damage dealt.

Bubblebeam has a 30% chance of lowering Speed.

Dig has 100 power.

Metronome can use Counter, Assist, and Feint.

Assist can use Roar and Whirlwind.

Pokemon trapped by Block and Spider Web are still trapped when the opponent uses Baton Pass.

Anger Point works even when you're behind a sub.

Anticipation activities if the opponent has Self Destruct and Exploison as well as Counter, Mirror Coat, and Metal Burst, but with the latter 3 only if the the poke is weak to Fighting, Psychic, and Steel respectively.

Color Change activates after the first hit of a Multi Strike move.

Pressure is no longer revealed to the opponent when the Pokemon switches in.

Klutz doesn't prevent the user from using Fling.

Leaf Guard doesn't prevent the use of rest under sun.

I doubt this is everything, but I'm having trouble finding everything at the moment. Help would be appreciated.

The following Pokemon get stat increases due to their pre-evolutions having the mentioned stats, but they were lowered through evolution:

Vivillon: 60 Defense
Escavalier: 60 Speed
Tangrowth: 60 Speed
Masquerain: 65 Speed
Pelliper: 85 Speed
Beautifly: 55 Defense
Politoed: 90 Speed
Poliwrath: 90 Speed
Porygon-Z: 90 Defense/95 Special Defense
Magnezone: 70 Speed
Steelix: 70 Speed
Electivire: 105 Speed
Magmortar: 93 Speed
Honchkrow: 91 Speed
Octillery: 65 Speed
Shedinja: 31 HP
Armaldo: 75 Speed
Salamence: 100 Defense
Vespiquen: 70 Speed
Scolipede: 99 Defense/79 Special Defense
Crustle: 55 Speed
Eelektross: 60 Speed
Accelgor: 85 Defense/65 Special Defense
Volcarona: 85 Attack

Credit for the mentioning of these stats go to The Eevee General and Wimblesaurus.

Standard OU Banlist, as well as the following:

Freeze Clause: Due to freeze being a permanently lasting condition, only one Pokemon can be frozen on a team.

Bind Ban: Fast users of any move related to Bind such as Scolipede with Infestation will prevent the opponent from taking any action, and will thus create frustration in every battle.

Prankster + Roar/Whirlwind Ban: All one needs to do is give a Pokemon with this combination a Choice Scarf and they can shuffle the opposing team with ease, racking up field hazard damage and taking away the fun of battling.

Regarding moves that are broken when at their peak, they will be lowered to their second place peak. Current moves that have received this treatment: Roar.

Last edited:
90 BP Aura Spere/Dragon Pulse 95 BP Beams. Giga Impact only gets buffed by the ability to switch out if you knock out your opponent(maybe). All crit multi hit moves if you crit.
Shadow tag affects shadow tag users(maybe).

Valmanway

Shadow tag affects shadow tag users(maybe).
Well here's the thing. If two elements interact with each other, and one would get buffed while the other would get nerfed, then they just stay as they are. So Shadow Tag trapping other Shadow Tag users is a buff and a nerf, meaning Shadow Tag will remain as it is and not trap other Shadow Tag users.

Valmanway

Oh jeez, there are so many things to consider here that I forgot about. I need to make a whole list and everything.

What about Special Attack/Defense drops from the transition to Gen 1 to Gen 2? Ex. Alakazam has a Special of 135, is his Special defense going to raise to 135? How about Amnesia boosting both Special Attack and Special Defense? Or *shudders* Bind?

canno

formerly The Reptile
Does this include Gen 1's Crit Mechanics? If so, Deo-S suddenly becomes even scarier than it was before. Also does Blizzard have its Gen 1 freeze chance?

Valmanway

What about Special Attack/Defense drops from the transition to Gen 1 to Gen 2? Ex. Alakazam has a Special of 135, is his Special defense going to raise to 135? How about Amnesia boosting both Special Attack and Special Defense? Or *shudders* Bind?
Special was its own stat back in ye olden days. Now it's Special Attack and Special Defense, So Alakazam still has 95 Special Defense. And Bind will be at its peak as well, so its brokenness will also be present, unless it's banned (which it most likely will be).

Does this include Gen 1's Crit Mechanics? If so, Deo-S suddenly becomes even scarier than it was before. Also does Blizzard have its Gen 1 freeze chance?
Gen 1 crit mechanics... I'm gonna have to think about that. Things will get WAY too offensive for even my standards, and I'm a guy that loves offense. As for Blizzard's freeze chance, it will become a 30% chance again, and freezes will be permanent. A freeze clause will be present, so don't worry about having your whole team frozen.

what are the gen1 crit mechanics?
Gen 1 crits were determined by the Speed stat. The faster you were, the more likely you were to land a crit. For example, Tauros has a ~21% chance to land a crit, iirc. I believe that there's a list of speed tiers and their crit chances somewhere on Smogon, but I can't remember where it is.

Last edited:

Valmanway

looking at the formula deoxys-sanic has a crit chance of 35.16% lol
Which is one of the reasons why I'm afraid to bring this mechanic back, the other reason being the fact that crits would be 2x as powerful again. Stall would basically be dead, and I honestly would feel bad if I killed an entire playstyle.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Another issue with Gen 1 crit mechanic is high crit moves - which, if you have at least 64 speed, will always crit. And even if you're not - you need to be abysmally slow in order to not have a reliable crit ratio. An example of a stall murderer is Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt, with Crabhammer, has an 85.9375 crit chance every time it hits. Pack that with Adaptability, and you have a 400 BP move after STAB. It still has 90 accuracy, but that's still an insane amount of power. To put into perspective - A neutral STAB Knock Off from Craw has 195 BP. A 2x resisted crit STAB crabhammer has 200 BP. Not that you should be using Knock Off - Crawdaunt has Night Slash with the same crit ratio, hitting 280 BP after STAB. You know who else is insane? Drapion. Night Slash and Cross Poison now have 100% crit chances. This, along with Sniper, gives it 2 STABs with 210 BP (before STAB) (it's 315 after STAB). It can even use Slash for neutral coverage (it has 210 BP as well).

To put this into perspective - V-Create has 270 BP after STAB.

Valmanway

Another issue with Gen 1 crit mechanic is high crit moves - which, if you have at least 64 speed, will always crit. And even if you're not - you need to be abysmally slow in order to not have a reliable crit ratio. An example of a stall murderer is Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt, with Crabhammer, has an 85.9375 crit chance every time it hits. Pack that with Adaptability, and you have a 400 BP move after STAB. It still has 90 accuracy, but that's still an insane amount of power. To put into perspective - A neutral STAB Knock Off from Craw has 195 BP. A 2x resisted crit STAB crabhammer has 200 BP. Not that you should be using Knock Off - Crawdaunt has Night Slash with the same crit ratio, hitting 280 BP after STAB. You know who else is insane? Drapion. Night Slash and Cross Poison now have 100% crit chances. This, along with Sniper, gives it 2 STABs with 210 BP (before STAB) (it's 315 after STAB). It can even use Slash for neutral coverage (it has 210 BP as well).

To put this into perspective - V-Create has 270 BP after STAB.
Nah man, you gotta go with the Beedrill. Beedrill with Focus Energy, Pin Missile, Drill Run, and Poison Sting is the new meta. Focus Energy with Sniper was meant to be, Pin Missile for STAB, and Drill Run is the high crit move, while any true Beedrill fan will always have Poison Sting.

...On a more serious note, Porygon-Z will basically be the ultimate wallbreaker, thanks to Adaptability LO Nasty Plot Hyper Beams. Here's how much it does to Chansey of all things:

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 611-720 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Let's not kid ourselves here, this is beyond powerful, and that's not even considering a critical hit which is an actual factor now due to the crit mechanics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)