Peakmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Crocune comes back with a vengeance.
Sleep mechanics from 5th gen, and freeze mechanics from 1st gen. The freeze clause would work like this: If the enemy has a Pokemon frozen and/or asleep, no other Pokemon can be put to sleep/be frozen.
I'm confused about sleep still. If it's the mechanics of gen 5, wouldn't Crocune not be coming back with a vengeance? Plz explain.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm confused about sleep still. If it's the mechanics of gen 5, wouldn't Corcune not be coming back with a vengeance? Plz explain.
Crocune would be able to stay asleep forever thanks to Sleep Talk triggering Rest's effect despite it already being asleep. And the sleep clause doesn't apply to a Pokemon using Rest.

EV

Banned deucer.
Crocune would be able to stay asleep forever thanks to Sleep Talk triggering Rest's effect despite it already being asleep. And the sleep clause doesn't apply to a Pokemon using Rest.
OIC so sleep works like gen 5 (restarts on switch-out) but Sleep Talk/Rest is basically what threw me off.

Double power crits, 140 BP Draco Meteor.
I for one welcome our new seahorse overlords.

Giga Impact Slaking is totally a usable thing now. Crustle and Rhyperior also get an accurate, powerful, semi-reliable rock STAB.

I'd argue that Low Sweep should be reverted to 60 BP, because the only reason anyone would have ever been caught dead using it in a competitive battle was the technician boost.

And Hidden Power's 70 BP can be reverted to 60 to maintain the technician boost by just reducing an IV or two; you guys know this, right?

Valmanway

How does aegislash get 110 def/atk on it's forms?
Aegislash's pre-evolution, Doublade, has 110 Attack, and I made a rule that if a stat goes down because of evolution, then that stat is no longer dropped.
Does this include other form changes? If so, we get things like Darm being a monster.
Form changes don't apply, so Rotom-W doesn't get a 91 Speed, Shaymin Land form doesn't get 127 Speed, etc..., so god forbid Darmanitan getting mammoth offenses and defenses.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
No I mean why. Technically anything in gen 6 is already at its peak, since it's new. So why are we changing aegislash?

E: Ninja'd

canno

formerly The Reptile
And Hidden Power's 70 BP can be reverted to 60 to maintain the technician boost by just reducing an IV or two; you guys know this, right?
Er, not quite. To reach 60 BP Hidden Power, you need to lower a good amount of IVs. 59 requires you to lower less - more importantly, lets you keep higher speed, but the IVs for SpA are damaged more heavily. But yes, your point does stand - Hidden Power could always be abused by Technician, it just used to be a bit more tricky.

Full article on this here

Valmanway

I'd argue that Low Sweep should be reverted to 60 BP, because the only reason anyone would have ever been caught dead using it in a competitive battle was the technician boost.
That's a very good argument. By definition, getting 5 more power makes it an improvement, but no one ever uses it anymore because Technician no longer powers it up. But the thing is I'd have to nerf it to buff it in another way, so I don't know how I'd feel about that. I'll think about it.

No I mean why. Technically anything in gen 6 is already at its peak, since it's new. So why are we changing aegislash?
Doublade has 110 attack, and evolutions' base stat reductions are being ignored.

This also applies to:

Vivillon (60 def)
Escavalier (60 spe)
Tangrowth (60 spe)
Masquerain (65 spe)
Pelipper (85 spe)
Beautifly (55 def)
Politoed (90 spe)
Poliwrath (90 spe)

in addition to the cases listed earlier in the thread.

Valmanway

On the topic of stat buffs:

Electivire can find more sweeping opportunities with a Choice Band set thanks to having 105 base speed.

Salamence can take physical hits better now with 100 base defense, making physical priority less of an issue.

As I mentioned before, Scizor now has 105 base speed, easily differentiating himself from Mega Scizor as an off-the-bat attacker.
Valman what about Darm-z? Would it get 140 Atk and 95 Spe?
Darmanitan-Zen and regular Darmanitan won't be able to pass stat buffs between each other, since they're just different forms, not one being the evolution of another. This also applies to all other form changes.

Valmanway

I'd like to point out that sleep talk isn't actually at gen2 mechanics since gen2 couldn't call up moves with no PP and the like.
If I did my research properly, then the inability to call up moves with 0PP only happened in ADV. I could be wrong, but I have confidence in Bulbapedia's data.

Will steel resist ghost and dark types now? Also I'm guessing spore thunder-wave will effect grass and electric types again respectively.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does Kyurem-B now get 130 SpA because Kyurem drops the SpA by 10 when changing forms? And same goes for Deoxys-formes, do they now have 50 / 180 / 160 / 180 / 160 / 180, because that's basically a really OP fakemon lol. And I'd argue that Deoxys is at its best when using each form, so why not combine the forms? Or even reduce them a bit to balance them, making their stats 50 / 135 / 120 / 135 / 120 / 135, or is that a little too far lol?

Valmanway

Will steel resist ghost and dark types now? Also I'm guessing spore thunder-wave will effect grass and electric types again respectively.
The thing is, if I buffed the Steel-type, then I'd be nerfing Dark- and Ghost-type moves, same thing with powder/paralysis moves for Grass- and Electric-types, respectively. So, if I buff one, the other gets nerfed, thus creating a bit of a paradox of buffing and nerfing. To avoid said paradox, any move that directly effects another move/type/ability will remain as it is, so Dark- and Ghost-type moves still hit Steel-types neutrally, and powder/paralysis moves won't effect Grass- and Electric-types, respectively.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does Kyurem-B now get 130 SpA because Kyurem drops the SpA by 10 when changing forms? And same goes for Deoxys-formes, do they now have 50 / 180 / 160 / 180 / 160 / 180, because that's basically a really OP fakemon lol. And I'd argue that Deoxys is at its best when using each form, so why not combine the forms? Or even reduce them a bit to balance them, making their stats 50 / 135 / 120 / 135 / 120 / 135, or is that a little too far lol?
First, I don't believe that there's such a thing as a stupid question. Second, form changing doesn't pass stat changes, so Kyurem-B still has 120 base special attack, and Deoxys-D still has garbage offenses.

Another issue with Gen 1 crit mechanic is high crit moves - which, if you have at least 64 speed, will always crit. And even if you're not - you need to be abysmally slow in order to not have a reliable crit ratio. An example of a stall murderer is Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt, with Crabhammer, has an 85.9375 crit chance every time it hits. Pack that with Adaptability, and you have a 400 BP move after STAB. It still has 90 accuracy, but that's still an insane amount of power. To put into perspective - A neutral STAB Knock Off from Craw has 195 BP. A 2x resisted crit STAB crabhammer has 200 BP. Not that you should be using Knock Off - Crawdaunt has Night Slash with the same crit ratio, hitting 280 BP after STAB. You know who else is insane? Drapion. Night Slash and Cross Poison now have 100% crit chances. This, along with Sniper, gives it 2 STABs with 210 BP (before STAB) (it's 315 after STAB). It can even use Slash for neutral coverage (it has 210 BP as well).

To put this into perspective - V-Create has 270 BP after STAB.
Actually, it's not always a critical hit. It's a 99.6% chance, or 255 times out of 256.

Purely for morbid curiosity's sake, this is what some non-mega form changes' stat spreads would look like if they kept better stats from their base forms.

Meloetta-Pirouette: 100/128/90/128/128/128 BST 702
Shaymin-Sky: 100/103/100/120/100/127 BST 650
Aegislash-Blade: 60/150/150/150/150/60 BST 720
Darmanitan-Zen: 101/145/101/145/101/95 BST 688
Giratina-Origin: 150/120/120/120/120/90 BST 720

I don't think anything gets more ridiculous than Deoxys-D, though.

50/150/160/150/160/150 BST 820
Deoxys-S & Deoxys-A say hello, it's actually 50 / 180 / 160 / 180 / 160 / 180 with a BST of 910 lol. Not that any of this matters. Anyways, yeah, Crocune will be great in this meta thanks to the Sleep mechanics. Also, what made Curse so infamous of Gen 2? I never played it, but I know that it was Snorlax & Tyranitar: The Meta and it was Curse or RestTalk for days. Finally, what about Pokemon who learn Gen 1 / Gen 2 TMs, they were at their peak with moves such as Growth and the elemental punches?

Valmanway

Deoxys-S & Deoxys-A say hello, it's actually 50 / 180 / 160 / 180 / 160 / 180 with a BST of 910 lol. Not that any of this matters. Anyways, yeah, Crocune will be great in this meta thanks to the Sleep mechanics. Also, what made Curse so infamous of Gen 2? I never played it, but I know that it was Snorlax & Tyranitar: The Meta and it was Curse or RestTalk for days. Finally, what about Pokemon who learn Gen 1 / Gen 2 TMs, they were at their peak with moves such as Growth and the elemental punches?
That BST though. Anyways, I think what made Curse so good was the defensive nature of G/S/C, where everything was very bulky, and Snorlax was an especially bulky user of Curse. As for your last question, pretty much all moves worth using in gens 1 and 2 were taught through tutors, such as the elemental punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)