Resource Pet Mods Workshop

I'd wanna say mine is different because removing RNG isn't the main/only focus, but I'm not sure?
Yeah, I've seen your changelog, I wasn't saying you copied anyone. I just thought that seeing a different approach to the same problem would help you develop the idea in a more original yet more consistent way.
Additionally, they also aimed at giving a competitive niche to each fully evolved Pokemon, but I guess it was kinda secondary.

That Pet Mod sure wasn't perfect, and because of that it didn't have much appeal, but the take with secondary effect points was really interesting, you could take something from that (also because I don't think it will be revamped now since it wasn't done for Gen7). Seeing that thread again in 2019 I had the impression that this mechanic of points instead of percentage for secondary effect wasn't implemented organically, but just kinda stuck on normal mechanic to replace all the RNG mechanics.
For example, I can see a lot of moves and abilities that raise those points, but none that lowers opponent's points, while things like Uproar, Water Sport and Mud Sport could lower Sleep, Burn and Paralysis points and Safeguard could prevent opponent from gaining those points for 3 or more turns. I also don't understand why Crits didn't follow this same mechanic of points, but just affected the base power of moves with high Crit ratio and the effects of Battle Armor and Anger Point.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen your changelog, I wasn't saying you copied anyone. I just thought that seeing a different approach to the same problem would help you develop the idea in a more original yet more consistent way.
Additionally, they also aimed at giving a competitive niche to each fully evolved Pokemon, but I guess it was kinda secondary.

That Pet Mod sure wasn't perfect, and because of that it didn't have much appeal, but the take with secondary effect points was really interesting, you could take something from that (also because I don't think it will be revamped now since it wasn't done for Gen7). Seeing that thread again in 2019 I had the impression that this mechanic of points instead of percentage for secondary effect wasn't implemented organically, but just kinda stuck on normal mechanic to replace all the RNG mechanics.
For example, I can see a lot of moves and abilities that raise those points, but none that lowers opponent's points, while things like Uproar, Water Sport and Mud Sport could lower Sleep, Burn and Paralysis points and Safeguard could prevent opponent from gaining those points for 3 or more turns. I also don't understand why Crits didn't follow this same mechanic of points, but just affected the base power of moves with high Crit ratio and the effects of Battle Armor and Anger Point.
There's a lot of cool ideas here but I'm not 100% a fan of the points system, I think it could get slightly complicated and I prefer simplicity. I don't just wanna steal ideas from this tho lol I feel it's better if I think of my own probably.

Pet mod: 3 types
Mod concept: pokemon have 3 types rather than 2, changing the way pokemon battles are approached.

Hi all,

Given the my disappointment with the direction of sword and shield, I want to revisit some ideas I've had in the past.

I'm hoping to do this in showdown so I can set up a server that myself and others can compete on. However whilst I can code I have no idea how to access the showdown platform and modify it, or if this is actual possible.

Ideas are below. Feedback on my proposals or thoughts on what you'd change if you could reinvent the meta game are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

1. More than 2 types - most pokemon could easily have more than 2 types, and doing so we increase versatility in pokemon. My plans are for pokemon to have 3 types.

2. Type order changing effectiveness. To stop x8 being broken, my idea is that type order affects effectiveness. Eg a fire water type would slightly resist grass, whereas a water fire type would be slightly weak to grass. This would allow someone who is weak by 2 types to not be x4 weak making it less crippling.

Possible implementation:
Type 1 x2 effective x0.5 resist (same as now)
Type 2 x1.5 effective x 0.67 resist
Type 3 x1.33 effective x0.75 resist

Max effective x4 Max resist x0.25

3. Having more than 4 moves. There might be limits on how many attacking moves you can have / moves might be categorised

4. Having more mega evolutions, evolutions, regional variants, or new mons (including gen 8 mons) based on national dex

5. Having new moves, hazards, possibly terrains, z-moves or the like. This could include dual type moves like hawluchas's signature move

6. Changing pokemon stats, abilities (and types) to make pokemon more effective. Idea is that more pokemon would be 'ou competitive' as their new typings and changes would make them more viable

If you are double solo like that, make stacking work like DnD multiplication.

Double/half damage from one type being weak/resisting, triple/third from two and quadruple/quarter from three.

If you are double solo like that, make stacking work like DnD multiplication.

Double/half damage from one type being weak/resisting, triple/third from two and quadruple/quarter from three.
That's exactly what I've done mathematically, but obviously my system accounts for type 1 and 3 being weak and 2 being resist or any other combination.

My issue is how do I go about creating these things? I don't know where to start, but can code of that's what is required.

Thanks

:pikachu-starter:Partner Pokemon:eevee-starter:

Welcome to Partner Pokemon. This mod will give a partner form to every Pokemon eligible for one. Now instead of only Pikachu and Eevee getting partner forms, more get to as well!
The basic rule is whoever in the evolution family was introduced as the first one to have an evolution in its debut generation while not evolve from something. It also must be the first mon in its family to meet this criteria. This means:

:cleffa::clefairy::clefable:
In this line, Clefairy would receive the Partner form. It was the first mon in it's family to meet the requirements, doing so back in Generation 1 where Cleffa didn't exist. While Cleffa does meet the basic requirements, it was not the first one to do so.

:magby::magmar::magmortar:
Here however, Magby would receive the Partner Form. Magmar was a standalone mon in Generation 1, allowing Magby to be the first mon in the family to meet the criteria.

:porygon::porygon2::porygon-z:
For this family, nobody gets a partner form, as all members were introduced with no evolutions at the time.

all other cases where the family is entirely in one generation have the LC-eligible mon get the partner form.

With that out of the way, let's go see the submission rules:
  • +110 BST (may be lowered depending on the Pokemon)
  • Each stat must have at least +10 to it.
  • Abilities don't change (Because let's go games don't feature them.)
  • Typing may change only if an evolution introduced in the same generation has a different type.
  • Base movepool comes from an edited version meant to resemble Let's Go games.
  • Each partner gets 3-5 signature moves with childish-sounding names. (look at Pikachu and Eevee's special moves for examples) ~90 BP with a moderate side effect is the more common one, but the power may be lowered for stronger side effects. The type is related to something special about the Pokemon. (If you can't justify it in some way or if it makes zero sense whatsoever, don't bring it) They side effects do not need to be of a move present in LGPE,
  • Each partner Pokemon also gets a special Partner Power. When activated on the field, they use a 102 base power move that never misses on the opponent. It is always one of the Pokemon's types and can be either category. When not on the field it boosts 3 stats of the active Pokemon. (which stats vary depending on the Partner Pokemon it's from) Partner Powers can only be used once per battle (just like mega stones and Z-crystals)

[b]Pokemon[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Stats[/b]:

[hide=Custom Moves]
[b]Move Name[/b]:
[b]Power[/b]:
[b]Accuracy[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Side Effect[/b]:

[b]Partner Move Name[/b]:
[b]Power[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Category[/b]:
[b]Non-field Stat Boosts[/b]:
[/hide]

Have some notes about the metagame too:
  • Battles take place in a format similar to LGPE OU
  • No EVs, Items, or Abilities.
  • Dynamaxing is not present.
  • Unlike regular LGPE OU, players may carry more than one Partner Pokemon. (Granted they follow the species clause)
All Pokemon use a moveset inspired by LGPE, using all moves from that game plus a few extra moves to prevent STABless scenarios. (Aura Sphere, Earth Power, Power Gem, Shadow Claw, Shadow Bone (For Alolan-Marowak), Iron Head, Seed Bomb, Zen Headbutt, Icicle Spear, Dragon Hammer (for Alolan Exeggutor), and Throat Chop) These movepools will be available in a different source that will be crafted later.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1577893452759.png
Megamax
Butterfree Sprite

(Working Title)​

Concept: Converting almost every one of SWSH's Gigantamax forms into new Mega Evolutions via slates.

Notes/Ideas
-The format would be National Dex OU for obvious reasons. Dynamax would be banned, fate of Z-Moves unknown
-Submission rules would be very loose: The only real restrictions aside from MFA-style stuff like movepool/stat boosting rules would be to adhere to the physical designs
-If every Gigantamax is converted, that'll be 26 new megas. If the NFEs are skipped, 23 new megas. If Charizard and Gengar are also skipped, 21.

Questions
-The NFE Gigantamaxes (Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth) will almost certainly be skipped over, but what about Charizard and Gengar? Should their Gigantamaxes be converted into Megas despite already having pre-existing ones?
-Should there be a focus on trying to make the Megas function similarly to how their originals functioned (e.g. designing Mega Machamp to abuse critical hits) or should there be total freedom to interpret the designs in other ways?

Maybe make those of nfes into split evos. I think it's best if gengar and charizard get alt megas. Alt megs do exist already.
I think the new megas should have at least some relationship to their new g-max moves, though that relationship can be fairly loose. Gengar's G-max move is obviously inspired by it's old mega, so naturally, its new mega should be less powerful and with an ability less extreme than shadow tag.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
TCG Forms
Ever thought about how the TCG has different forms of Pokemon for Gym Leaders? Ever wanted to create a "Light" or "Dark" variant? This mod addresses both of those at once. Criteria is as follows:
Gym Leader Pokemon: These are like Megas. +100 to the BST, although they don't have to be in intervals of 10. However, no Mega Evolution-like mechanic is needed.
Light and Dark: Light variants would be Fairy, Dark variants would be Dark. If the Pokemon is already Fairy or Dark, you can still change up the Pokemon quite a bit. Stat variations, Ability variations, and movepool variations go a long way.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/all-the-aces-v2-submission-phase.3651008/

Might be fun to have that in gen 8 though

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
The Cryptid Dex
Concept: Add the numerous non-playable pokemon and forms across the Pokemon Media into a playable meta
Explaination: You know how the anime has things like Golden Sudowoodo, or how in Spin-Offs you find alternate forms such as Shadow Mewtwo and Shadow Lugia, or even in the main games themselves with the Rotom Forma, Pokéstar Studio and Motherbeast, and yet cannot ever use them? This mod aims at creating base stats, typings, abilities and movepools for each of them. The list of intended mons is below (Subject to change):
Shadow Lugia
Primal Dialga
Shadow Mewtwo
Armored Mewtwo
Shopkeeper Kecleon
Pink Butterfree
Golden Sudowoodo
Crystal Onix
Snow Snorlax
Magikarp Jump Patterns
Kanto Starter Clones
Venustoise
Zapmolcuno
Golden Diglett
Carbink from the diancie movie
Captain Pikachu (TCG)
Baby Kangaskhan?
Bittercold
Dark Matter
Rotom Dex
Rotom Phone
Rotom Drone
Rotomi
Motherbeast
Pokestar Studio
Totem Hakamo-o?
Giant Gengar
Giant Jigglypuff
Giant Alakazam
Giant Xurkitree
Giant Torterra
Shadow Pokemon (Moves only)
Nidorino-Bill
Clefairy-Bill
Rattata-Bill
Purple Kecleon
Rayquaza-Mismagius
Porygon 0
Passimian Team
Detective Pikachu
Thunder Armour Swellow
Mario Pikachu
Blue Orb Pikachu
Shellder-Slowbro
Dark Rust
Mecha Mewtwo
Future Being Ledian

Obviously the way to achieve each form would be different. For some forms such as Crystal Onix or Purple Kecleon, they would be simply alternate forms (Think Alolan/Galarian). For things like the Shadow Pokemon (Excluiding Lugia/Mewtwo), it'd be simply giving them the shadow moves. For Armored Mewtwo and Blue Orb Pikachu, it'd be like the Gen 8 dogs where you give them an item and they change form. The way for how each form works would be specified in each slate.

The main problem I ran into - Quite a few of these are ubers and the mod is mainly OU focused. Should I make an Ubers ver of the meta so those are usable too?

Feel free to suggest any other mons to add to the submission list

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Type Representatives

Concept: There are 18 Pokemon total, all single-typed and one with each type. Users submit abilities, stats, and names for these Pokemon in slates of three, with the main goal being keeping everything balanced while having the Pokemon "represent" their typings as well as possible (like for example, Dragon-types are usually offensive, so they shouldn't try to make it a wall)

The possible lists of stats is below...

1578250997873.png

This is how the averages look, straight from Bulbapedia. This should include Gen 8 Pokemn but I'm not entirely certain. I have a few other ideas though since this doesn't strictly have to be the exact averages of each...

1578251100344.png

This is how they look when scaled up to 720, given the idea that these Pokemon are "the gods of each typing" and above the 680 BST legends. I felt scaling them would be best to keep stuff like Bug from being completely screwed while also keeping things like Dragon in check.

1578251237923.png

This is what happens if I "exaggerate" the stats here. I can't explain how it works without giving an example, so let's take Grass. The average of all of its base stats is 84. Its base HP is 78, and since the difference is 6, we'd subtract 6 again to get an HP stat of 72. If we do this for Attack, the average is still 84 and regular list has its attack as 94, making the difference 10 and the new stat 104. Reason I did this is because the regular stats looked a bit too "plain" to me, like it's rare to see something above 100 or below 70, so I felt like this would make a Pokemon's strengths stronger and its weaknesses bigger.

1578251479904.png

This is the scaled version of the exaggerated stats, in case we'd prefer having everything perfectly equal.

Questions:
- Which of the four formulas above would be best for the stats?
- Should this be a mod where people submit for the Pokemon in slates like mentioned before, or should this be more of a "solomod" where I make all of the changes myself and make it playable?
- Someone in the Discord suggested making one of each type combination usable instead of every single type. This is definitely something we can do, since there are around 300 possibilities, but it kinda goes against the idea of these 18 Pokemon representing their typings. Would that idea be directly better, worse, or would it be its own thing?
- Does this meta seem like it could be fun, both to play and to submit for if we end up using slates?
- Does anyone have any other miscellaneous suggestions that they feel are worth mentioning, but don't really fall under any of the above questions?

Which of the four formulas above would be best for the stats?
I Think scaling the exaggerated versions to 600 BST would be the best to make the stats less average and to be more user-friendly while keeping the types theoredically equal.
Should this be a mod where people submit for the Pokemon in slates like mentioned before, or should this be more of a "solomod" where I make all of the changes myself and make it playable?
Do it in subs, but it would end really quickly, leading to my next point:
Someone in the Discord suggested making one of each type combination usable instead of every single type. This is definitely something we can do, since there are around 300 possibilities, but it kinda goes against the idea of these 18 Pokemon representing their typings. Would that idea be directly better, worse, or would it be its own thing?
Definitely do each type combination IMO, as not only will there be more slates, but more mons for the metagame as well.

My idea for each type combo is that each one have a statline average of the components.

Everything else would be fine for now.

Project FRAM
The basic idea of the Fossil Resurrection and Modernization Project would be to "modernize" fossil Pokemon and other "old" Pokemon in the same way Team Plasma modified Genesect. Making them Steel instead of Rock type, giving them "modern" abilities like Download or Trace, and otherwise trying to turn as many Pokemon into Digimon as possible.

:Omastar:
Omastar {Steel/Water} Ability: Download/Mega Launcher
530 BST
HP:70
ATK:65
DEF:135
SPA:125
SPD:70
SPE:65
Added Moves: Autotomize, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Thunderbolt, Thunder
Removed Moves: N/A
:Kabutops:
Kabutops {Steel/Water} Ability: Download/Swift Swim
530 BST
HP:60
ATK:125
DEF:115
SPA:85
SPD:70
SPE:75

Added Moves: Iron Head, Iron Tail, Metal Claw, Smart Strike, Wild Charge
Removed Moves: Smack Down, Stone Edge

Last edited:
PokeRivals
There are pokemon that play similar role so I want to make a meta that focuses on comparing similar Pokémon and tweaking them so that they don’t overshadow each other but present a different option. I also think we could vote on changing mechanics so that certain niches can be more viable. (Defensive Ice types come to mind.)

Example for physical electric wall breakers
Pokémon: Zeraora Electivire Luxray Zebstrika Eelektross Golem-Alola
Rules
  • Max bst limit 570
  • Must be a physical Electric type

Last edited:
I have had this idea for a metagame but I have had a hard time putting it into words. The idea is to make a meta game that feel I little bit more like 4th gen OU. Not specifically like gen 4 but a return to when Pokémon were a bit more simple and there are less huge threats running around like megas, Landorus, and stuff like that. Would also like to see new mechanics form the newer games implemented in less polarized way.

WIP

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Angry at the most marketed and popular Pokémon getting the most good things all the times, even things they didn't really needed? Tired of non-evolving filler Pokémon sprouting up? Unhappy with multiple powerful-looking Pokémon being weaker than they look or have unfavorable stat distribution? Criticized Game Freak of not making enough effort to make low-tier Pokémon at least a little more viable (aka not being Untiered)?

Enter Project Geneneration Fix, a soft reboot where the goal is to make multiple Pokémon from each Region having better viability - or at least having a distinct niche that no other Pokémon of it's typing can - as well as fixing some of the more awkward aspects about each Generation's Pokémon, such as severely skewed variety.

Going from Generation 1 to 8's Pokémon, we will assure that each Generation's own set of Pokémon becoming more consistent, as well as encouraging unexplored niches for individual Type.

A general list of fixing includes:
  1. All third stage evolutions having at least 480 BST, or for early routes, 450 BST.​
  2. Diversify the most one-note Types by changing some Pokémon to have niches not usually seen on a Type in question.​
  3. Reduce the amount of single-stage non-Legendary (and non Ultra Beast) Pokémon. Not all of the single-stage Pokémon gets a pre-evolution or an evolution, but those who don't will all have reasonable stat distribution and/or more functioning gimmick (if they have one).​
  4. Buffing some of the unviable Pokémon, with the worst of the worst getting the highest priority. The buff will be either small or big, but diversity of tiers is greatly encouraged; not everything have to be OU viable!​
    1. Of course, non-Uber Pokémon that fails to live up to the hype will also get priority.​
  5. Making sure that the top tiers of OU and UU (and perhaps Ubers) receive new counters, while nerfing the most obnoxious and uncompetitive moves, Abilities and other mechanic.​
It will take place in NatDex (for obvious reasons) and Singles, although the Dynamax Clause will be applied, so until someone have a big solution, let's not try to fix that, while Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not be changed as a whole, although the obnoxiously powerful Mega Evolution not from Legendary would surely need a nerf. We also won't get into the Legendaries' business except Mega Rayquaza (where it get a small nerf enough to get it unbanned from Ubers) or the weakest ones.

(Note: Pre-existing cross-generational evolutions and forms can be buffed in the Generation the firstly introduced Pokémon was in. For example, Electivire can be buffed in Generation 1 even if it was introduced in Generation 4, because Generation 1 is where it's pre-evolution, Electabuzz, is introduced first.)

Generation Notable Goals
  • Additional forms for Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth, the Gen 1 fully evolved starters, Gengar and Mewtwo would not be permitted, since they represent the Gen 1 oversaturation in terms of new forms. However, a few more pre-evolutions, evolutions and forms for not-so-popular Pokémon outside of Alolan Forms (except new ones that increase Type diversity; see below) will still be accepted, and buffing the first three's own evos is also acceptable.
  • Adding type diversity, done by either intrinsically or via new forms.
  • Make the Eeveelutions much less of a one-trick pony by expanding their movepool. (This applies for later Eeveelutions, though Sylveon is OU viable atm, so it can be skipped.)
    • Also replace Flareon's Guts by something that would be more useful for it, or redistribute its stats.

• Generation 2 in general tend to be power crept, and thusly I would allow more Pokémon compared to other Generations. It could be small or big, like small but significant stat raises, but notably weaker Pokémon, like Stantler and Delibird, would appreciate a new evolution.
  • Any Pokémon from Generation 2 or later can receive two Mega Evolutions, but only two winning Mega Evolution pairs per Generation to keep it the same as two dual Mega Evolution (Charizard and Mewtwo) in Generation 1.
  • Buffing the Generation 2 fully evolved starters to be comparably good with other starters.
  • Adding new Dark-type and Steel-type, as well as additional Ghost-type and Dragon-type, to increase Type Diversity.
  • Make Unown more interesting while keeping its mythic feeling.

• Generation 3 have the same Power Crept problem with Generation 2.
    • Only this time, it is the Generation with the most single-stage non-Legendary Pokémon. This means it will have the most Evolutions and Pre-Evolutions made for this Generation.
    • Sableye and Mawile should not get a new evolution does to potential conflict with their Mega Evolutions. However, giving them a Regional Variant that can evolve into something that fulfill different niches from the normal counterpart's Mega Evolutions is perfectly acceptable.
  • Pika Clones, starting with Plusle and Minun, will have a new Evolution, something that Pikachu actually have. A pre-evolution is optional but helps considering Pichu is a thing.
  • A small nerf for Mega Rayquaza so that it will be unbanned from Ubers, but also still very threatening on its own.
  • Make Plusle + Minun, Volbeat + Illumise and Solrock + Lunatone more distinct from each others, or for their own evolutions.
  • Give Luvdisc particular boost whenever it hold a Heart Scale. Not all much, but then one could just give it a new evolution and call it a day. Seriously this is a sorry excuse of a Pokémon.

• Give a male-only or male-accepting evolution for Combee, to make male Combee not left in the dust.
  • Make Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie more distinct from each others beyond their learnset and stats, i.e. different Abilities.
    • Cresselia is a Psychic-type with Levitate, something that Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie have as well. Make Cresselia different as well while we are at it!
  • Make Rhyperior more distinct from Rhydon, or make Rhydon itself a viable alternative. Granted, Rhyperior is already more viable than Rhydon, but not everybody likes Rhyperior to begin with. (It can also be done during the Generation 1 slate.)
  • Make Phione actually usable rather than being just a weaker Manaphy.
  • Regigigas is supposed to be powerful, but Slow Start made too much harm for it. Any solution applicable for a Legendary can be done.
  • While applied to Generation 1, Leafeon and Glaceon here are among the competitively worst Eeveelutions. Either stat redistribution, Mega Evolution (only if you give for every Eeveelution, cause it's a lot of works) or better Abilities will help them out alongside expended learnset.

• Make Sawk and Throh more distinct from Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop, be it added secondary Typing, giving them different evolution (and pre-evolution), etc.
  • If desired, make Samurott and Emboar more viable. Serperior is good as it is in OU thanks to Contrary.
  • Audino is the only Gen 5 Pokémon who officially have a Mega Evolution... which is mediocre by itself. Buffing her (and giving it a pre-evolution to make its new BST making sense) while making its Mega Evolution is a better way to go.
    • Meanwhile, Generation 5 and later Generations should have at least six new Mega Evolution.
  • Make the Simi-Trio more distinct from each others and also from the starters.
  • Make Gigalith's PokéDex description accurate, such as swapped Atk / SpA. If there are other Pokémon who needs to be much more accurate with their PokéDex, give me a heads up.
  • Fix Galarian Darmanitan, or more specifically Gorilla Tactics, in order to make it more bearable and not to overshadow the Unovan counterpart.
  • Speaking of Darmanitan, make Unovan Darmanitan's Zen Mode, Meloetta's Pirouette form and Genesect's Drives more practical.

• Imagine a third version for XY existing, where Mega Evolution for some Gen 6 Pokémon were given.
    • Meanwhile, give a Battle Bond form for Chesnaught and Delphox to balance Greninja having it's own Battle Bond form.
  • Although Gen 6 introduced Fairy-type, none of its introduced Fairy-types except Xerneas were actually viable in a consistent way. This need to be fixed by giving a buff to some of them.
    • Eternal Floette will be considered as released to go along with the "what if Z Version" scenario.
  • Goodra is easily the least competitively viable of the Pseudo-Legend. RU isn't too bad back in Gen 7, but Kommo-o was buffed into a real threat, and even got a viable substitute for it's missing Clangorous Soulblaze called Clangorous Soul, while Goodra got nothing real useful. This need to be fixed so that it lives up being a Pseudo-Legend.
  • Give Trevenant and Gourgeist more distinct niches, does to sharing the same Typing and similar learnset.

• Give a signature Z-Move for Pokémon beyond Generation 1 and 7.
  • Give Totem Pokémon distinct stat spread from their base forms, or giving an intrinsic ability.
    • This have to be done carefully with Kommo-o, who's already a viable threat!
  • Introduces more Alolan Forms beyond Generation 1. Alolan Forms for Generation 8 wouldn't be needed, but appreciated. Regional Evolutions is not introduced in Generation 7, thus not required.
  • Have some Pokémon to have Dark-type and Ice-type, does to how little Generation 7 have them.
    • This can be done with Galarian Forms for Generation 7 Pokémon.
  • Despite being the big, menacing appearance Guzzlord have and how threatening it was in the Sun and Moon anime series, Guzzlord is the least viable Ultra Beast. Stat redistribution (while keeping faithful to prime numbers) or even a whole new form would help it out.

• Give a Gigantamax form for Pokémon beyond Generation 1, 8 and Garbodor + Melmetal. (Melmetal is counted as Generation 7 does to being introduced in a mainline game before SwSh.)
  • Giving new Galarian Forms for Generation 4, Generation 6 and Generation 7. Regional Evolutions are optional, but verily encouraged.
    • There's only one Regional Variant for one Pokémon line in Generation 2 and 3 each. Whether or not you wanna add one is up to you.
  • Give a new type for the third stage of Galar starters. (May not be necessary for Cinderace does to Libero.)
  • Make Gigantamax forms to have more than just giving exclusive G-Max Moves; changed Ability, modified stats, etc.
  • Create "complete" version of Artco-, Draco-, -zolt and -vish, making them more in-line of actual Fossil Pokémon. Creating new Pokémon (except when it comes to evolutions, pre-evolutions and Regional Evolutions)

If there's anything I missed that needs to be really fixed, give me the suggestions and I may consider.

UPDATE: After some self-consideration, I might gonna make this half-Solomod, half-community-driven. Half-Solomod means some quick nerfs on aspects that are overkill and a new mechanic called Traits (with Sound being part of it), as well as buffing or changing some Pokémon that would be less common concept of it's typing (like a Special Attacking Fighting-type). Half-community-driven means people can give suggestions and I and some council (I'm only myself for now) will decide whether or not approve.

Last edited:
Haxless (WIP)
Take control of your destiny.
The goal of the Haxless metagame is to fix the biggest problem in competitive pokemon, which is the random elements that so often swing the tide of battle. No one likes losing to hax. Games consistently end up being unsatisfying or negative experiences for the players, where both feel like their success or failure was not a result of skill, but of unfortunate luck. The amount of high-profile games that have been decided by a crucial miss, critical hit, or a Hurricane hitting-crit-into confusion-into hitting oneself, shows that this is not a small problem for the game. Part of the reason pokemon is not a high-profile e-sport is the excessive randomness and unpredictability of a match.

But there's another way.

In his video "The Two Types of Random," Mark Brown explains the 2 types of randomness in games: input and output. In short, input randomness is randomness the player gets to react to, and output randomness is random results of the player's actions. To use pokemon as an example, the random encounter you find in the wild is input randomness, while a stone edge miss is output randomness. You may be able to see the difference immediately: one of these creates rage, the other does not. In fact, essentially all the randomness in pokemon battles is output randomness, which is, by modern standards, simply bad game design. Critical hits, misses, and 10% freeze chances is an archaic design choice from the 90's that this pet mod attempts to solve. Not by removing randomness altogether, but by creating strategic depth by turning output randomness to input randomness.

How is this achieved?

1.) Removing Elements
Some aspects of the game simply can't be made fun. Things like attract, confusion, and freeze are simply too swingy and unfair to be worth preserving. Thus, some mechanics are removed from the game completely:
  • Critical hits​
  • Infatuation, confusion, and freeze status conditions​
  • Immobilization due to paralysis​
  • Sleep randomness (every instance of sleep taking 2 turns, like rest)​
  • Damage rolls (every attack does its average damage)​
2.) Added Elements
This is the core of the pet mod. The above removals account for all random cases in the game but 2: move uncertainty, and speed ties. Speed ties are the one random aspect that I can't think of a good way to change- the only thing this pet mod changes about speed ties is showing the players some indication that a coin flip had happened.

All that's left is the moves. This is the big change. In this pet mod, any move with a secondary effect or a chance to miss will have an indicator on the move selection screen showing whether its random effect will trigger or not. Essentially, instead of these random effects rolling after choosing the move and praying for it to hit/burn/para, the move will tell you before choosing it. As a result, gameplay is extremely different, as moves will never miss unless a player intentionally chooses to miss that turn. With this ruleset, there's still random aspects that can allow a player behind to come back (For example, if your opponent's cleaner is locked into stone edge, and your only hope is for it to miss, the chance of it missing wouldn't change, but your opponent would be able to see that it was going to and plan accordingly.)

I got some good feedback on the discord, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on this idea. Would it remove the unpredictability that makes pokemon battling unique? Is it feasible to code this in? Would it change the game too drastically? Is this the future of competitive pokemon? Let me know!

Haxless (WIP)
Take control of your destiny.
The goal of the Haxless metagame is to fix the biggest problem in competitive pokemon, which is the random elements that so often swing the tide of battle. No one likes losing to hax. Games consistently end up being unsatisfying or negative experiences for the players, where both feel like their success or failure was not a result of skill, but of unfortunate luck. The amount of high-profile games that have been decided by a crucial miss, critical hit, or a Hurricane hitting-crit-into confusion-into hitting oneself, shows that this is not a small problem for the game. Part of the reason pokemon is not a high-profile e-sport is the excessive randomness and unpredictability of a match.

But there's another way.

In his video "The Two Types of Random," Mark Brown explains the 2 types of randomness in games: input and output. In short, input randomness is randomness the player gets to react to, and output randomness is random results of the player's actions. To use pokemon as an example, the random encounter you find in the wild is input randomness, while a stone edge miss is output randomness. You may be able to see the difference immediately: one of these creates rage, the other does not. In fact, essentially all the randomness in pokemon battles is output randomness, which is, by modern standards, simply bad game design. Critical hits, misses, and 10% freeze chances is an archaic design choice from the 90's that this pet mod attempts to solve. Not by removing randomness altogether, but by creating strategic depth by turning output randomness to input randomness.

How is this achieved?

1.) Removing Elements
Some aspects of the game simply can't be made fun. Things like attract, confusion, and freeze are simply too swingy and unfair to be worth preserving. Thus, some mechanics are removed from the game completely:
  • Critical hits​
  • Infatuation, confusion, and freeze status conditions​
  • Immobilization due to paralysis​
  • Sleep randomness (every instance of sleep taking 2 turns, like rest)​
  • Damage rolls (every attack does its average damage)​
2.) Added Elements
This is the core of the pet mod. The above removals account for all random cases in the game but 2: move uncertainty, and speed ties. Speed ties are the one random aspect that I can't think of a good way to change- the only thing this pet mod changes about speed ties is showing the players some indication that a coin flip had happened.

All that's left is the moves. This is the big change. In this pet mod, any move with a secondary effect or a chance to miss will have an indicator on the move selection screen showing whether its random effect will trigger or not. Essentially, instead of these random effects rolling after choosing the move and praying for it to hit/burn/para, the move will tell you before choosing it. As a result, gameplay is extremely different, as moves will never miss unless a player intentionally chooses to miss that turn. With this ruleset, there's still random aspects that can allow a player behind to come back (For example, if your opponent's cleaner is locked into stone edge, and your only hope is for it to miss, the chance of it missing wouldn't change, but your opponent would be able to see that it was going to and plan accordingly.)

I got some good feedback on the discord, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on this idea. Would it remove the unpredictability that makes pokemon battling unique? Is it feasible to code this in? Would it change the game too drastically? Is this the future of competitive pokemon? Let me know!
This sounds really fun. I would recommend that you don’t replace hax based things with something to complicated. Also don’t think crits should be removed all together but the crit chance gets rounded up or down depending if it is over or under 50% chance. Another idea if you wanted to keep hax and have it feel more fair is if was rolled with double rn.

Solomods Megathread/Bazaar
One type of Pet Mod is the Solomod, a mod in which changes are made, often to the whole PokeDex or almost the whole PokeDex, that don't have any preset rules to them and are also controlled by a single person or very small group of people. A few notable solomods have gotten their own threads back in Gen 7 with G-Luke Ideal World, Spookdex, Cool Funky Mode, and Choonmons δ, but they're threads tend to be very inactive likely due to the lack of community engagement within solomods. This also results in a bunch of cool metagames filled with the unique metagame ideas of the individual going untested and never brought to life. Already in Gen 8, the only solomods that have their own thread are both Older Gen solomods and are both extremely inactive (Rose Red/Iris Blue and GSC Neo).

I saw this idea ages ago in the Discord that may help curb this issue. Essentially, a Solomods Megathread would work similarly to a tier's Team Bazaar thread, it would be a more casual environment where someone could share they're solomod idea in the thread and drum up some discussion and feedback for it and have be permanently publicly available so that if someone ever feels so inclined, the mod can one day get coded.

Name of Mod: (Doesn't have to be super creative, can literally just be something simple like "Yoshiblaze's Solomod")
Mascot (Optional): (An optional setting that allows a Pokemon sprite to be associated with the mod to make an archival listing look pretty. Must be an existing Pokemon)
Link to Changes: (Recommended that all changes are placed into a neat and easy to follow Google Sheets document or something similar)
Summary of the Mod: (State what changes in general, any special gimmicks, your mindset when creating it, etc.)
Competitive Overview (Optional): (Share some theorymonned competitive sets and/or give an overview of what the metagame could be like)

There would be a limit of 1 solomod per person as if you want to make new changes to a solomod, nothing stops you from just putting said changes in your existing solomod

After someone posts a solomod, other people in the thread can discuss and theorymon for it. This should be done in a respectful manner; give constructive feedback and don't spam someone with changes you want them to make. If your trying to completely alter someone's idea within their solomod, you could just make your own solomod for that. Solomod owners have all the right in the world to turn down making any changes to their mod - it is their mod, after all.

Particularly popular solomods can be moved to the Pet Mods Submission thread and then be given their own thread if they get accepted, or you can directly post your Solomod in the submission or workshop threads if you believe that it wouldn't fit in the megathread.

Questions:
- Solomod Megathread or Solomod Bazaar a better name?
- Should there be a type of system that brings higher quality solomods to the spotlight so that they're more likely to get coded? If so, how should the solomods that get the spotlight be chosen?
- Would this idea under the current rules give too much freedom?
- Would the existence of a Solomods Megathread and the Pet Mods Submission thread make it confusing for people to figure where to submit a particularly large or unique Solomod?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
While we're on the topic of new resource threads...

Spr 5b Egg.png
Adopt A Pet Mod!
Spr 5b Egg.png

Do you have a well-received idea that you just can't/don't wanna manage for whatever reason? Want to retire an old mod to work on a new project, but don't know who to pass it down to? What about popular mods from old generations that have yet to find new owners? This thread would try to give all these wonderful ideas a new home in a one-stop shop.

When an aspiring pet modder with a fresh new idea or the desire to revive a classic who doesn't have the expertise/time to run it gets their submission approved, they can choose to have it put on the Adopt A Pet Mod thread instead. On this thread, all the pet mods that fit into the prior categories will be listed on their own posts along with any resources they may have (spreadsheets, Discord servers, viability rankings, etc.). From there, anyone who happens to pass by can choose one of the mods and "adopt" it as their own. They don't need to ask the original leadership for anything: Any mods put into the thread are automatically considered relinquished and are basically in a limbo state waiting for new ownership. The only exception would be resources if the adopter so desires to have access/control over them. Upon being adopted, a mod is removed from the list and the new guy can do whatever they want with it, no more greenlights required.

Questions and Concerns
  • Should old gen mods get approval from their previous owners before being put on the thread? What if they are no longer/barely active on Smogon?​
  • What should happen concerning adopters who choose a mod but don't do anything with it for while after making their pick? Should there be a cool-down/restriction for adopting mods?​

Last edited:

Deleted member 503163

Alright so I've been thinking about this idea for a few weeks, figured I'd post it here to get some feedback

Stop N Swap
Basically you take two Pokemon and swap one of their abilities, types, up to two of their stats, and up to five of their moves. The catch here is both Pokemon are affected, mainly in an attempt to prevent people from creating one broken ass pokemon and a garbage one. Now as for everything there’d be some rules here. Ideally a submission period would be anywhere from seven days to eleven days long. After that it’d be followed by a four day voting period, and a two day discussion period. Voting will be 1st preferred option, 2nd preferred option, 3rd preferred option.

1. For every session, unless stated otherwise, you can only submit up to two submissions. Keep in mind every submission is two Pokemon instead of one.
  2. If you swap stats they still have to go towards the same thing. You can’t swap Blissey’s HP stat and have it go into attack.
  3. If the stat is 150 or greater it can’t be swapped.
  4. Try to keep these balanced.
  5. Keep in mind for voting that all pokemon on the submission will win
  6. Please respect the ban list

To better show this here’s an example submission(the format is open to critique)

Pokemon being swapped:Lucario/Tangrowth
Abilities being swapped:Inner Focus/Chlorophyll
Types Being swapped:Steel/Grass
Stats Being swapped: Special Attack
Moves being swapped from pokemon A: Meteor Mash, Metal Claw, Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon, Calm Mind
Moves being Swapped from pokemon B:Power Whip, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, Nature Power
New Stats of Pokemon A: 70/110/70/110/70/90
New Stats of Pokemon B: 100/100/125/115/50/50
Justification: Chlorophyll turns Lucario in to a deadly sun sweeper, while the buff to Tangrowth’s special attack makes it hit harder blah blah blah blah according to all known laws of aviation the bee should not be able to fly.​

The Ban List
In addition to anything in Ubers the following things are banned
  • You cannot swap: huge power, pure power, fur coat, ice scales, truant, or slow start.​
  • You cannot use megas as something to swap with, ie you cannot swap mega pinsir with anything else​
  • Dynamaxing and Gmaxing are a no go. Likewise gmax moves cannot be swapped as well.​
  • Z-Moves cannot be swapped as well, ie you can’t give Dragonite clanglorious soulblaze​
  • Fishous Rend and Bolt Beak cannot be swapped.​
  • Dracovish, Arctovish, Dracozolt, and Arctozolt cannot have a speed or attack stat greater than 100.​

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Solomods Megathread/Bazaar
One type of Pet Mod is the Solomod, a mod in which changes are made, often to the whole PokeDex or almost the whole PokeDex, that don't have any preset rules to them and are also controlled by a single person or very small group of people. A few notable solomods have gotten their own threads back in Gen 7 with G-Luke Ideal World, Spookdex, Cool Funky Mode, and Choonmons δ, but they're threads tend to be very inactive likely due to the lack of community engagement within solomods. This also results in a bunch of cool metagames filled with the unique metagame ideas of the individual going untested and never brought to life. Already in Gen 8, the only solomods that have their own thread are both Older Gen solomods and are both extremely inactive (Rose Red/Iris Blue and GSC Neo).

I saw this idea ages ago in the Discord that may help curb this issue. Essentially, a Solomods Megathread would work similarly to a tier's Team Bazaar thread, it would be a more casual environment where someone could share they're solomod idea in the thread and drum up some discussion and feedback for it and have be permanently publicly available so that if someone ever feels so inclined, the mod can one day get coded.

Name of Mod: (Doesn't have to be super creative, can literally just be something simple like "Yoshiblaze's Solomod")
Mascot (Optional): (An optional setting that allows a Pokemon sprite to be associated with the mod to make an archival listing look pretty. Must be an existing Pokemon)
Link to Changes: (Recommended that all changes are placed into a neat and easy to follow Google Sheets document or something similar)
Summary of the Mod: (State what changes in general, any special gimmicks, your mindset when creating it, etc.)
Competitive Overview (Optional): (Share some theorymonned competitive sets and/or give an overview of what the metagame could be like)

There would be a limit of 1 solomod per person as if you want to make new changes to a solomod, nothing stops you from just putting said changes in your existing solomod

After someone posts a solomod, other people in the thread can discuss and theorymon for it. This should be done in a respectful manner; give constructive feedback and don't spam someone with changes you want them to make. If your trying to completely alter someone's idea within their solomod, you could just make your own solomod for that. Solomod owners have all the right in the world to turn down making any changes to their mod - it is their mod, after all.

Particularly popular solomods can be moved to the Pet Mods Submission thread and then be given their own thread if they get accepted, or you can directly post your Solomod in the submission or workshop threads if you believe that it wouldn't fit in the megathread.

Questions:
- Solomod Megathread or Solomod Bazaar a better name?
- Should there be a type of system that brings higher quality solomods to the spotlight so that they're more likely to get coded? If so, how should the solomods that get the spotlight be chosen?
- Would this idea under the current rules give too much freedom?
- Would the existence of a Solomods Megathread and the Pet Mods Submission thread make it confusing for people to figure where to submit a particularly large or unique Solomod?
I like this idea. It makes a lot of sense. i'll give it the nod of approval.

While we're on the topic of new resource threads...

Spr 5b Egg.png
Adopt A Pet Mod!
Spr 5b Egg.png

Do you have a well-received idea that you just can't/don't wanna manage for whatever reason? Want to retire an old mod to work on a new project, but don't know who to pass it down to? What about popular mods from old generations that have yet to find new owners? This thread would try to give all these wonderful ideas a new home in a one-stop shop.

When an aspiring pet modder with a fresh new idea or the desire to revive a classic who doesn't have the expertise/time to run it gets their submission approved, they can choose to have it put on the Adopt A Pet Mod thread instead. On this thread, all the pet mods that fit into the prior categories will be listed on their own posts along with any resources they may have (spreadsheets, Discord servers, viability rankings, etc.). From there, anyone who happens to pass by can choose one of the mods and "adopt" it as their own. They don't need to ask the original leadership for anything: Any mods put into the thread are automatically considered relinquished and are basically in a limbo state waiting for new ownership. The only exception would be resources if the adopter so desires to have access/control over them. Upon being adopted, a mod is removed from the list and the new guy can do whatever they want with it, no more greenlights required.

Questions and Concerns
  • Should old gen mods get approval from their previous owners before being put on the thread? What if they are no longer/barely active on Smogon?​
  • What should happen concerning adopters who choose a mod but don't do anything with it for while after making their pick? Should there be a cool-down/restriction for adopting mods?​
A resource thread like this is largely unnecessary imo. If someone doesn't want their Pet Mod anymore, its really a simple PM message and a confirmation from me and that's done. If the user is inactive and someone wants to take over, just hmu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)