Resource Pet Mods Workshop

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
How would the idea of a Pet Mod centered around FlashCAPs float with you guys?
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/CreateAPokemon?from=Characters.Smogon
The list of FlashCAPs exist here, with a wide variety of existing threads in addition to the existing CAP catalogue, with creatures like An abuser of Emergency Exit, Multitype mons and other crazy stuff.
Personally I'm just wondering why CAP has a tvtropes page

But on a serious note: Sounds interesting, but I feel like some of these would have to be adjusted seeing as their concepts were conceived in relation to metas that existed years ago.

I've got a bit of an interesting question for the Pokefans out there. Let's say in Pokemon Stadium you can edit the levels of all fully evolved Pokemon (+ Dragonair because of its unique typing) to whatever level you want (which you can do with a randomiser), and you want to do it in such a way that every Pokemon is a viable choice. They all also have a competitive moveset. What level would you say some Pokemon will need to be compared with others so that any Pokemon choice would be a good one?

Smogon sort of has four different groups of tiers for gen 1: Uber, OU, UU (OU viable), and UU . I done a quick edit where I made Uber level 90, OU level 95, UU (OU viable) level 98 and UU level 100.

So for example:

Mew, Mewtwo are lv. 90
Snorlax, Slowbro are lv. 95
Charizard, Golem are lv. 98
Venomoth, Hitmonchan are lv. 100

Not much thought was put into this, but picking 6 Pokemon to use at random, I would say the battle was quite fair. Some of the level 100 are still a bit too weak though when compared to the level 95 (Butterfree and Farfetch'd for example). Still heaps better than having everyone at level 100...

Anyone have any input as to what level they feel certain Pokemon or groups of Pokemon should be compared with others? I feel that adding a level cap to Pokemon is a good way to make more Pokemon viable.

Here is an example of what it looks like at the moment. I want it so every Pokemon is a good choice:

After doing a bit of research, I've temporarily come up with the following levels for Pokemon: (Asterisk = one moveset, rest have two)

81 Mewtwo
83 Mew
86 Tauros
86 Chansey
86 Snorlax
86 Exeggutor
87 Starmie
87 Alakazam
87 Lapras
88 Dragonite
88 Gengar
88 Slowbro
88 Zapdos
88 Jynx
88 Cloyster
88 Golem
88 Rhydon
90 Victreebel
90 Jolteon
91 Persian
91 Articuno
91 Hypno
92 Dodrio
92 Gyarados
92 Clefable
92 Kangaskhan
92 Venusaur
92 Moltres
92 Dugtrio
92 Sandslash
92 Kabutops
92 Raichu
93 Tentacruel
94 Arcanine
94 Aerodactyl
94 Blastoise
94 Charizard
94 Ninetales
94 Machamp
94 Nidoking
94 Nidoqueen
94 Pidgeot
94 Mr. Mime
95 Kingler
95 Tangela
96 Electabuzz
96 Omastar
96 Vaporeon
97 Golduck
97 Poliwrath
97 Raticate*
98 Dewgong*
98 Pinsir
98 Venomoth*
99 Flareon
99 Rapidash*
99 Scyther*
99 Weezing
99 Electrode
99 Muk
99 Magmar
99 Magneton
99 Seadra
99 Golbat
99 Vileplume
99 Primeape
99 Seaking*
99 Fearow*
99 Arbok
99 Dragonair*
99 Wigglytuff
99 Hitmonchan*
99 Hitmonlee
99 Marowak*
99 Parasect
99 Onix*
100 Lickitung*
100 Porygon
100 Beedrill*
100 Butterfree*
100 Farfetch'd
100 Ditto*

Anything there seem hugely off?

Personally I'm just wondering why CAP has a tvtropes page

But on a serious note: Sounds interesting, but I feel like some of these would have to be adjusted seeing as their concepts were conceived in relation to metas that existed years ago.
Because Quanyalis is a Tv Tropes user. I was too, but I eventually stop contributing to the site altogether for very complicated reasons.

PokkenMons DX
I am a big fighting game nut, and one of my more guilty pleasure FGs is Pokken Tournament (at least when I can get my hands on it). I rather enjoy the system (except for the phases, but that's a topic for another time), and especially how a Mon's abilities can be used to the fullest.

And I thought, for craps and laughs, what if we put it back into a Pokemon format?

PokkenMons DX aims to do this, using slates to first convert Pokken Tournament DX's playable roster to the style, and then adding new mons that cover unique places in the meta.

I plan on organizing slates like so:

Slates 1-4: Base Game
Charizard
Pikachu
Machamp
Gengar

Mewtwo
Suicine
Sceptile
Blaziken

Gardevior
Garchomp
Lucario
Chandelure

Braixen
Weavile
Shadow Mewtwo
Pikachu Libre

Slate 5: Arcade Version
Scizor
Croagunk
Empoleon
Darkrai

Slate 6: DX Additions
Deducieye
Aegislash
Blastoise
(Custom Mon)

And then all others will be all new mons. I plan on not having all the Pokemon represented, but rather having a small but not micro group of mons, prob around 100 to 150, with some sort of mechanic allowing the rest of the mons to be used in a support setting. Mons will be chosen on uniqueness in the meta, as well as a balance of accuracy to both Pokken and how the actual Pokemon functions.

In terms of moves, here's what I have in mind:

Battles are fought in three-round 1v1s using a large healthpool and a team of three: one Battle Mon and two Support Mons. the Battle Mon has four moves, as usual, but one move is the move of a Support Mon, which is chosen at the beginning of every round. Battle Mons battle it out until one falls; When that happens, both Mons have their HP and PP restored, and a new round starts, going best of 3. After 3 turns, Burst Mode can be activated, a universal mechanic that increases BST by 100 and replaces the Support Move with a powerful Burst Move! Burst Mode can be used once per round, and the mode and move are unique per Poke (but can be taken from the home game; for instance, Incineroar's Burst Move could be Malicious Moonsault)

Galar Customs

Lotsa people sayin' SS OU is "boring" and "one-dimensional" and "limited", etc. and this is most likely due to the dexit cut and the lack of remarkable battle mechanics such as Megas or Z moves.

On the other hand, National Dex is seen as a "mess", or "chaotic" with an unimaginable number of threats to account for.

So surely, there could be a middle ground, the proposal here is to allow more Pokémon into the "Galar Customs" if we can call it that, making it SS OU plus a couple of select Pokémon in order to make the metagame for fun and healthy. Of course, this is all subjective but that's why it's a pet mod. Users would submit Pokémon every slate and say two or three would be voted on and allowed in the Galar Region as per this Pet Mod, all striving for the sake of a healthy and balanced metagame. One example could be:

Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko would be a great addition to the current SS OU metagame, while some could argue it'd be overshadowed by Zeraora, Tapu Koko's access to Roost would let it play much more recklessly against Corviknight and its access to Defog could give teams yet another option for hazard removal. Tapu Koko would capitalize on the relative rarity of Ground-types, but it'd still have a good chunk of natural checks, such as Ferrothorn and Hippowdon, to name a few.
I'm not sure if I'd be willing to host something like this as it'd require quite a bit of time and energy, so I suppose I'll just leave the idea out there. I think with a good council and a careful playerbase this could become an influential pet mod.

Galar Customs

Lotsa people sayin' SS OU is "boring" and "one-dimensional" and "limited", etc. and this is most likely due to the dexit cut and the lack of remarkable battle mechanics such as Megas or Z moves.

On the other hand, National Dex is seen as a "mess", or "chaotic" with an unimaginable number of threats to account for.

So surely, there could be a middle ground, the proposal here is to allow more Pokémon into the "Galar Customs" if we can call it that, making it SS OU plus a couple of select Pokémon in order to make the metagame for fun and healthy. Of course, this is all subjective but that's why it's a pet mod. Users would submit Pokémon every slate and say two or three would be voted on and allowed in the Galar Region as per this Pet Mod, all striving for the sake of a healthy and balanced metagame. One example could be:

I'm not sure if I'd be willing to host something like this as it'd require quite a bit of time and energy, so I suppose I'll just leave the idea out there. I think with a good council and a careful playerbase this could become an influential pet mod.
While I'm a bit of a PM noob, I'm down for at least participating in this. Seems like a good middle ground is what we need, since there are already PMs that tackle the issues with OU and NatDex respectively. Or at least OU.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Galar Customs

I really like this idea! My big reason for loving it the way I do is because of being a great "low-effort" mod on the part of submitters i.e. Roulettemons where they don't have to spend too much time thinking of what to say/do. However, there are two important questions I must ask:

1. Will Pokemon voted in have their leaked TR/TM movepools? For example, if Tapu Koko got in would it get Close Combat and Play Rough among other new goodies?

2. How will the DLCs affect this? This is the big one: I dunno if people 3-8 months from now are gonna want to play something that could be seen as a diet post-DLC OU meta, and unlike Perfect Galar (plug walk xdddd) there aren't any intensive balance changes being made other than adding in Pokemon to set it apart regardless. You think you'll be fine in spite of this or you wanna make some changes to the premise to adapt?

1. Will Pokemon voted in have their leaked TR/TM movepools? For example, if Tapu Koko got in would it get Close Combat and Play Rough among other new goodies?
ye this would be for decision of the playerbase and council i'd assume, as well as potentially megas. i think only playtesting would tell what's for the best.

2. How will the DLCs affect this? This is the big one: I dunno if people 3-8 months from now are gonna want to play something that could be seen as a diet post-DLC OU meta, and unlike Perfect Galar (plug walk xdddd) there aren't any intensive balance changes being made other than adding in Pokemon to set it apart regardless. You think you'll be fine in spite of this or you wanna make some changes to the premise to adapt?
yeah i suppose this would stay as a pre-dlc meta, because i don't see much point for this meta to keep on after dlc. or maybe it could take a reductionist approach and just be the post dlc meta except some 'mons are cut instead of added? idk i didnt think this through

I've been writing this memo about Pokemon passive abilities. I thought it'd be interesting if the Pokemon mechanics were more so related to their Pokedex entries.

Here's the file to the pdf:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uov0vuj0e4piqzr/PokedexAbiltiesPokemonRework.pdf/file

Here's an example if you're not interested in reading the whole thing:
Code:
Blastoise
(GF) Torrent – At 1/3rd or less of it’s Maximum Health, this Pokémon deals 50% more damage with Water type Moves.
(GF) Rain Dish – If the Rain is active, this Pokémon heals itself for 1/6th it’s Maximum Health at the end of each Turn.
(Passive) Piercing Shots – “Pump,” “Cannon” and “Beam” Moves ignore the Defensive and Special Defensive stats of the targeted Pokémon by 30% when calculating damage.
(Passive) Puncture – Blastoise deals 30% more damage to Steel types.
(Passive) Precision Accuracy – Blastoise’s Accuracy value with “Pump,” “Cannon” and “Beam” Moves is initially 100% upon being thrown or switched in.
Poke Powers:
(Activate – Before Move) Precision Cannons – Blastoise weight-fully stomps it’s footing into the ground and takes on a more precise aim. For 3 Turns, Blastoise’s Accuracy value is always 100%; damage dealt by “Pump,” “Cannon” and “Beam” Moves is increased by 40% and it’s Moves are equally effective against weaker type differences during damage calculation. This Pokémon retains the Pokémon Power when switched out, but loses the Turn it takes to switch in for the Power’s duration.
(Activate – Replace Move) Serious Skull – Blastoise enters it’s shell on Turn 1; receiving 0% damage from all types of damaging Moves, then hits with a physical Power of 180 on the 2nd Turn.

Last edited:
Guys, to let us test some of the features before we submit our Pet Mod or during its developement, would it be possible to create a format in which you set typing and stats of the Pokémon by nicknaming it? Example:

:mew:
Fire/Fighting/90/120/70/60/70/100 (Mew) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Wild Charge
- U-turn

This Pokémon would appear as Mew, it will have its same height and weight, but its typing and base stats will have the values put in the Nickname. Moves and abilities can be chosen freely as in Custom Game, so the Pokémon you choose will only influence appearance, height and weight.
I can help with JS, I just need to learn the functions that PS uses.

I had this idea for a fan game or pet mod that is a region that takes place in an alternate universe where Pokémon evolved very differently then the did on the main game universe. Basically it’s like regional variants +.
example ideas: a water/ground alligator Pokémon who could have been related to Krookodile and Feraligatr.
Wip

Guys, to let us test some of the features before we submit our Pet Mod or during its developement, would it be possible to create a format in which you set typing and stats of the Pokémon by nicknaming it? Example:

:mew:
Fire/Fighting/90/120/70/60/70/100 (Mew) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Wild Charge
- U-turn

This Pokémon would appear as Mew, it will have its same height and weight, but its typing and base stats will have the values put in the Nickname. Moves and abilities can be chosen freely as in Custom Game, so the Pokémon you choose will only influence appearance, height and weight.
I can help with JS, I just need to learn the functions that PS uses.
I coded something like that. See https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-workshop.3657154/page-3#post-8388207

"A-Moves" (name pending)

Hello! I recently posted in the Solomods Megathread about this concept, and it seemed to be received reasonably well judging from the reactions. One person also responded with a great post speculating on some sets that might be good, and they showed exactly the kind of creativity that I was hoping this would promote, which was awesome!! (That might speak more to them than to the idea itself, though!)

Without forcing you to read the wall of text behind the link trust me you're getting plenty of that already, the basic premise of the mod is as follows:
- When holding a type-based set of held items (comparable to Z-Crystals), Pokémon can "Mega Evolve" into a form based on one of the moves that they know.
- The form change is tailored to drawing out the best of that move by altering the Pokémon's stats, Ability and sometimes type. Rather than depending on the Pokémon, the constraints in these areas are decided by the move itself, meaning that any Pokémon that can learn the move has access to a Mega Evolution just by following a simple set of rules.
- The reason why this is decided based on moves rather than Pokémon is to make it more accessible and to give it a wider influence on the meta. For each single move that's added, every single Pokémon capable of learning it - which may be dozens, depending on the move - gains access to a new form at the same time, giving players a ton of options and allowing for creativity and unique teams.
- If a Pokémon knows more than one move that matches the type of its held stone, it also has more than one way to Mega Evolve, which can allow for increased flexibility and on-the-fly strategy changes. This has the potential to create an interesting and dynamic style of gameplay, but it should still avoid imposing an unhealthy level of luck and unpredictability because they are still constrained to moves of the same type.
- The basis of the mod is National Dex OU, but without Mega Evolution or Z-Moves. This takes the place of those features.

While I initially just made a full spreadsheet for every move, I was thinking that it might be interesting to turn it into a slate-based Pet Mod - it would start from zero rather than from my rough draft of examples, and periodic slates would add compatibility with moves a few at a time, slowly working up to a point where every Pokémon has options. I think the first few slates would aim to cover at least one move of every type (probably with a bias towards relatively common ones).
Submissions would be expected to propose two things: an Ability that pairs well with the move or the kinds of Pokémon that tend to use it and a set of constraints (minimum and maximum values) on specific stats of their choice.
Ideally, these submissions will be supported with relevant damage calculations to justify the power level they propose and examples of sets that might crop up based on Pokémon that are able to use the move.

In order to facilitate this, I also plan to simplify the stat formula so it's more intuitive, both to players and to people making their own submissions. A couple of thoughts on this so far:
- Instead of affecting final stat values like my original process (which gave a great deal of variance based on the Pokémon's EVs), these simply affect base stats, which are more recognizable and are easier to plug into damage calculators.
- Submissions can set both minimums and maximums, meaning that they can ensure a certain power level for the Pokémon using the move without fear of abuse by Pokémon with already-high stats. How wide this range turns out to be is up to the submitters. (Any Pokémon below this range are raised to the minimum; any Pokémon above it are lowered to the maximum; and any Pokémon within it remain exactly the same. Scaling and internal variation are avoided to improve predictability.)
- Submissions can set these constraints on any stats they like (except HP); rather than only moderating the damage of the move, they can also choose to constrain the Speed or the bulk of the Pokémon that use it, allowing for more specific roles (and specific nerfs, in the case of moves like Zap Cannon that inherently offer powerful utility when paired with the right Ability).
- The formula I used for Defense and Special Defense in particular uses too many steps, is hard to explain and is mostly arbitrary. This will be replaced by simply splitting any leftover points evenly between the stats that are not constrained, which again gives more control to each submitter in deciding which stats are important to the concept.

In general, the main draw of this mod would be the wide variety of sets. Almost every Pokémon will have access to new forms with highly distinct Abilities and roles to capitalize on moves they might not already have reason to use, which increases possibilities in teambuilding exponentially, but the constraints set for each move will hopefully keep any threats from becoming overwhelming or broken (and anything that distinctly rises to the top and chokes out other sets can be nerfed on a case-by-case basis).
In addition, while I think the framework of the mod would be very challenging to implement in a playable form or at least I would have no idea how to do it, I think that maintaining it and updating it based on future slates would be comparatively easy, since every move that's added after the starting point only comes with a small number of parameters (all of which are shared with other moves and can be copied easily).

Some questions I have about how to approach the concept:

- At the moment, I intend for this to be a once-per-battle mechanic like its inspirations, Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Does anyone object to this? I know that the basic premise ("any Pokémon can Mega Evolve") is somewhat similar to Mix and Mega, and Mix and Mega opted to lift this rule so that players had as much leeway as possible in making use of the feature and experimenting. However, I'm also hoping to go for something that feels closer to the existing gameplay of Mega Evolution, and I think there's also merit in seeing which sets rise to the top when players are constrained in this way. Especially with the sheer number of possibilities this opens up for players, I'm not sure whether it would be best to limit the impact they can have on the match (at the cost of making the mechanic underwhelming for some players or of making some sets less viable) or to maximize the creative potential (at the cost of making matches unpredictable and potentially chaotic, given how much more there is to learn than Mix and Mega).

- I have considered allowing type changes, either as a constraint users can propose for specific moves ("transforming based on Sandstorm adds the Rock type to guarantee use of the Special Defense boost") or as a general rule ("if a Pokémon doesn't get STAB on a damaging move that it uses to transform, its secondary type changes to match"). However, I also know that on-the-spot type changes are exceedingly dangerous and have the potential to create unpredictability. A solution I had in mind was that the Pokémon's held Mega Stone(/A-Crystal) would be "declared" on entry like the Air Balloon, but only if it would change the user's type. Is this solution too inelegant? Would it be better to declare the item unconditionally? Would it be better not to allow type changes at all? Are there other ways to keep a type-changing mechanic in check? And if type changes are allowed, would it be better to make them on a case-by-case basis for individual moves or to make a general rule like the one proposed?

- I was also considering a hard limit of a +50 boost to any given stat, even if that would stop it from reaching the expected minimum value, for fear that excessively minmaxed Pokémon might be able to abuse the same stat changes more than other Pokémon (such as Blissey with a move that significantly raises Defense, or Vikavolt with a move that significantly increases Speed). This is in line with the majority of Mega Evolutions, as mostly only excessively weak Pokémon like Beedrill, Pidgeot and Lopunny and Pokémon with complete role shifts like Diancie and Mewtwo ever gain more than 50 points. (The others are Slowbro and Heracross, which both feel like intentionally exaggerated edge cases.) Is 50 an appropriate cutoff? Or should this rule just be scrapped, since submissions are already meant to constrain stats to reasonable levels?

- Most importantly, does this... sound fun? Is it something that players and submitters would find approachable and enjoyable, or would the learning curve be too steep? How likely is it to promote creativity and variety in a healthy way, and how likely is it that the gameplay would just become chaotic and unenjoyable?

- Can anyone suggest a better name?

I have a couple of ideas for pet mods:

Name: Custom Balance
Idea: anything coded into mainline mon games : Balanced Hackmons :: anything coded into pokemon showdown : Custom Balance

This will let relatively unknown moves (ie magikarps revenge lol), items (ie ssbb z-moves and cap mega crystals), abilities (ie ssbb abilities), mons (CAP), and combinations of mechanics be more explored.

Just like BH, this metagame will have a deconstructive mindset. There would be some early "obvious" bans, like some of those in the BH banlist. I personally believe that there should be less bans at the beginning of the metagame and not ban too prematurely
Some Examples of "Obvious" Limitations/Bans:
- Most of the BH ban list throughout the years + ssbb abilities that are similar to those of the abilities banned (ie superguarda, RVS)
- Levels are capped at level 100
- Base Stats are fixed
Question: Would allowing programmed mechanics in OMs create too much chaos?

Name: GOUT (Greatest of OU of all Time)
Idea: Miss the Special stat? Miss 70 BP hidden power? This pet mod would be combining the best that every mon had access to at some point in time. Tauros would have access to gen 1 hyper beam. However, a mon that didn't exist in gen 1 that has hyper beam now would not be able to use gen 1 hyper beam. This combines the best of every mon throughout the gens it existed in, possibly helping mons that were powercreeped out of the meta.

These are the first PMs I have made so I'll take any criticisms I can get!

An idea I had for a Pet Mod

Name: VGCX
Premise: VGC with user created Pokemon as well as new items, and other small mechanic changes.

There will be three formats in this Pet Mod: Bronze, Silver and Gold. Bronze format is national dex only, mirroring the first year of the new generation of VGC. Bronze format will only allow the newly created Pokemon and the Pokemon the player base want to bring back. Silver format will include all Pokemon apart from restricted legendaries. Finally, Gold format will allow you to use 2 restricted legendaries on your team.

Quesitons?

What about Mega Evolution, Z Moves and Dynamax?
All three are gone. This metagame is going back to basics.

How will the slates work?
For the first few weeks, when don't have many (or any) new Pokemon, the slates will be dedicated to Bronze format, where we will be focusing on making new Pokemon. Then, we will move onto Silver format, and focus on giving older Pokemon new tools, and creating new abilities and/or moves. Then, we will move onto Gold format, where step 1 will be to give all the box legendaries their own signature abilities (if they didn't have them already, or, if they're clone like Terravolt, reworking them). Then we will loop back around to bronze again.

How should I submit a Pokemon?
Like this:
Type:
Abilities: 1 / 2 / 3 (Hidden abilities are always considered available)
Base stats: List in order of HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe
Useful moves (you don't have to list whole movepool, just the stuff you think it would actually use).
Physical: You can put N/A if you think one of its attack stats is too low to justify ever using a move of that type
Special:
What does it do? Describe its role
Is it outclassed? Describe what it has to separate itself from its rivals
Is it broken? Describe what flaws it has to keep it in check.

Can I give my Pokemon multiple formes?
Yes, but not ones that require in battle transformations.

Can I make an evolution to an older Pokemon?
Yes, but if you're giving stuff like Eevee or Johto Corsola an evolution, it must have the same BST as the Eeveelotuions and Cursola, respectively. In the case of Eeveelutions, its base stats must be 130 / 60 / 110 / 95 / 65 / 65, but they can be arranged in any order you wish.

So, as you may have seen on the lobby of the Discord channel, a fakemon creator has invented for its fakedex this new mechanic that temporairly changes the typing of a Pokémon on the battlefield and also sharply boosts its strongest stats.
We kinda discussed it on that chat and the changes that the form applies aren't very viable, so I decided to just take inspiration from the concept and make a new mechanic. I have already asked the author consent and I'm waiting for a reply, in the case he says no, I won't be able to open this Pet Mod (that's one of the reasons why I'm posting here).

- Twisted Pokémon

EDIT: I need help with coding, it's almost done, on my github, so if you know anything about coding PS can you take a look and tell me if it would work please?

In this (hypotetical) Pet Mod, every Pokémon has the ability to access 2 Twisted forms, Left-Twist and Right-Twist (we'll abbreviate with R/L-Twist or RT/LT). In each form, the Pokémon changes its typing to a predetermined one (selected in base of its current typing) and its STAB moves will change type to the same of the corresponding Twisted type. Moves that change type will also have a prefix that is a word that reflects the type they became.
So, for each type in the game, we'll have an R-Twisted type and an L-Twisted type, which will more or less stay for offensive and defensive typing respectively, as I tried to make the triads so that types are evenly distributed and LT type resists some of the original type's weaknesses, while the RT type hits supereffectively on some of the types that resist the original type. Priority was given to giving or avoiding immunities.
The other reason I'm posting here is to have some feedback on the triads I made, so your opinion on those is really appreciated. My only rule was that each type has to appear either as an RT or LT type twice, if a type only appears as offensive or defensive, it reflects the facts that there are some types that were meant to be mainly on that side of the spectrum (eg: Ice is an offensive type and Water is a defensive one, makes sense to me).
In the following table you can find R and L-twisted types of each of the existing ones:
<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->

<-Left Twist-
-Right Twist->
Grass: (1/1) Sprouting
Fire: (1/1) Blazing
Water: (0/2) Soaking
Electric: (2/0) Sparkling
Psychic: (1/1) Mesmerizing
Ice: (2/0) Freezing
Dragon: (0/2) Roaring
Dark: (1/1) Obscuring
Fairy: (1/1) Twinkling
Normal: (1/1) Stomping
Fighting: (1/1) Blasting
Flying: (1/1) Swirling
Poison: (1/1) Polluting
Ground: (2/0) Desolating
Rock: (0/2) Crumbling
Bug: (1/1) Infesting
Ghost: (1/1) Terrifying
Steel: (1/1) Piercing
For example:
Heracross is Bug / Fighting type. Since a Bug-type can become Water OR Psychic-type, while a Fighting-type can become Steel OR Dark-type, our Heracross can either choose to become Water / Steel (LT) or Psychic / Dark (RT) and its STAB moves will change type accordingly, so for example in its RT form Megahorn would hit with Psychic type effectiveness, while Close Combat would be Dark-type. Nothing happens to other moves, including those of the same type as the new ones, for example Knock Off remains Dark-type even if used by an Heracross R-Twist. Also, stats and ability stay the same as regular form.

I have thought of two ways of functioning for the Twist form, one can be applied in single battle, the other one is for Rotation Battles. Switching Pokémon is the only part of the battle that has never been touched by GF (since the introduction of U-turn, I guess?), so I wanted to work on that.
First one works like this:
- When swapping Pokémon, the player is able to choose if the entering one will appear in its regular, Left-Twist or Right-Twist form.
- When switching out, the Pokémon returns to its regular form, and the Pokémon coming in won't be able to appear in its L/R-Twist form.
- Each Pokémon in the team can only appear once either in its RT or LT form, but several Pokémon per battle can be Twisted.
Second one (Rotation Battle):
This one is pretty difficult to understand, but I guess it's intuitive once you get it.
After a rotation:
- A non-Twisted Pokémon coming from the right will be Twisted to its Left form
- A non-Twisted Pokémon coming from the left will be Twisted to its Right form
- An R-Twisted Pokémon coming from the right will return in its regular form
- An L-Twisted Pokémon coming from the left will return in its regular form
- Nothing happens if an R-Twisted Pokémon rotates to the left or if an L-Twisted Pokémon rotates to the right

The first turn of the battle has just ended, you have to chose next move.
- If Blastoise comes at the center, it will become Blastoise Right Twist, which is a Poison type,
- if it is Lucario, it will become Lucario Left Twist, which is Steel / Dragon type (pretty neat huh?).
So, imagine you rotate clockwise.
Now on turn two you'll have a Blastoise Right Twist, and you use its Poison-type Polluting Hydro Pump on Tyrunt. At the end of the turn,
- if you rotate clockwise again, Lucario will come to the center in its Right Twist form, which is Dark / Normal type, and nothing will happen to Blastoise,
- if counter-clockwise you'll have a Delphox Left Twist, which is Grass / Dark type.
So, form changes are applied only when the Pokémon rotates to the center.
Now it should be clear (if it's not, just ask)

Rules (for both):
- Megastones, Z-Crystals and Dyna/Gigantamax are not allowed.
- OU clauses
- Natdex

So, my questions are:
- Should abilities, weather and other moves that depend on the type be affected by form change? (Blaze, Water Bubble, Hail and Sandstorm would become useless)
- Which mode would you choose? The more complicated one that makes it a niche metagame (but fun potentially) or the simple one that may make it broken? (they could also both exist)
- Would you add an Item to make the Pokémon able to switch to its Twisted form? Would it allow to go to both forms or just one?
- Would you adopt the single battle one and make it work just like Megas and/or D/G-Max? (don't we have already too many of those?)
We could also have like 15-20 slates for specific Twisted forms that change also ability and swap 50 base points around the stat spread of the regular form, towards defenses in LT, attacking stats in RT. I need a council for that though, cuz im not good at balancing.
- :togekiss:
LT:

RT:

- :abomasnow:
LT:

RT:

- :dracovish: :kingdra:
LT:

RT:

- :tyranitar:
LT:

RT:

- :pangoro: :scrafty:
LT:

RT:

- :sableye: :spiritomb:
LT:

RT:

- :tyrantrum:
LT:

RT:

- :trevenant: :gourgeist: :decidueye: :dhelmise:
LT:

RT:

- :drifblim: :mimikyu:
LT:
and

RT:

- :lapras: :dewgong: :cloyster: :walrein: :arctovish:
LT:

RT:

- :pyroar:
LT:

RT:

- :charizard: :moltres: :talonflame: :oricorio:
LT:

RT:

- :ribombee:
LT:

RT:

- :heracross: :buzzwole:
LT:

RT:

- :articuno: :delibird:
LT:

RT:

- :flygon: :garchomp: :zygarde-10::zygarde:
LT:

RT:

- :shuckle: :armaldo: :crustle:
LT:

RT:

- :dragonite: :altaria: :salamence: :noivern:
LT:

RT:

Edit: Ok, I've thought of a way to make it work.

It will be based on Battle Stadium Singles with the accessibility to Natdex, so people will have a team of 6 Pokémon, but when entering battle you'll have to choose 3 among them. During battle, your first Pokémon will appear on the field in its regular form. As it is now for Dynamax, you'll have a checkbox to choose if you want to Twist or not, if you tick it, then:
- if you choose to switch to your second Pokémon, it will appear on the field in its Left Twist form
- if you choose to switch to your third (last) Pokémon, it will appear on th field in its Right Twist form
- if you choose to use a move, nothing will happen
After that, if a Twisted Pokémon is on your side of the field, you won't be able to activate Twist again when switching. So, to activate Twist, the Pokémon that is on your side of the field has to be in its regular form. Finally, a Twisted Pokémon that switches out is reverted to its regular form.
Making it work this way would tone down impredictablity and mix the two modalities I've thought (we could also create a co-existing Rotation Battle version of this).

In this case, if I tick the box for Twisting and then I choose to switch into Cinderace, it will come in as Cinderace Left Twist, which is Grass-type, while if I choose to switch into Corviknight, it will come in as Corviknight Right Twist, which is Normal / Ground-type. Nothing happens if it chooses to use Close Combat. Seems simple to use, but difficult to predict, but after all in total you still have 6 possible typings that may switch in, just like in OU.
Also, if you tick the Twist box and don't switch but attack, Twist could happen if your Pokémon is forced out with Roar et similia.
New Questions:
- Would it be balanced?
- Would it be better if it required an item?
- Do you like it? Would you play it?

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Restrictions (still not sure about the name)

Another mod based somewhat around randomness, but this one actually involves submissions. I have an ugly-looking spreadsheet that will make slates by putting out a few things-

- One somewhat viable ability. I used the ability tiering from Megas for All for this, with some exceptions (item-based abilities are included now for example), and I discuded abilities at or below below Tier 2. The current list of abilities I have isn't perfectly ideal for this mod and I would discuss changes to it in the Discord.
- One "viable move," taken straight from the list I have for Roulettemons. Sleep moves are discluded, but everything else that Showdown considers viable should be on the table.
- One primary typing. It has an equal chance of being any of the 18 types.
- Three numbers that would correlate to three stats (example - Defense 130, Speed 108, SpDef 62).

Out of the four things that the slate outputs, you are able to submit Fakemon that fall under at least two of the categories. Sometimes two of the things don't really work well together (for example, the stats can give out base 50 Attack and the ability can be Guts) but if that ends up being the case, chances are you can choose something different. If none of this makes sense, here's an example slate.

1588025314083.png

The idea is that because you only have to choose two of these, you have a lot of options to choose from for how to go about the rest. Just for example, let's say you want to make something with the given typing and stats. You still get to choose the other three stats, as well as the ability and secondary typing. You could make it a physically bulky, but passive Grass/Steel, a Grass/Ice that uses Nasty Plot, a pure Grass pivot with Regenerator, a Grass/Rock that sets Stealth Rock, and so on.

As for some questions for the community-

- Anyone got a good name for this? Because I sure don't.
- This would probably be centered around OU. If so, should I allow existing Pokemon?
- Are the restrictions too limiting, too loose, or are they fine as is?
- Does this seem too similar to any other existing mods for any reason?
- Any other major problems I haven't been able to notice?
- Does this mod seem enjoyable in general?

Type Representatives

Concept: There are 18 Pokemon total, all single-typed and one with each type. Users submit abilities, stats, and names for these Pokemon in slates of three, with the main goal being keeping everything balanced while having the Pokemon "represent" their typings as well as possible (like for example, Dragon-types are usually offensive, so they shouldn't try to make it a wall)

The possible lists of stats is below...

View attachment 216959
This is how the averages look, straight from Bulbapedia. This should include Gen 8 Pokemn but I'm not entirely certain. I have a few other ideas though since this doesn't strictly have to be the exact averages of each...

View attachment 216960
This is how they look when scaled up to 720, given the idea that these Pokemon are "the gods of each typing" and above the 680 BST legends. I felt scaling them would be best to keep stuff like Bug from being completely screwed while also keeping things like Dragon in check.

View attachment 216961
This is what happens if I "exaggerate" the stats here. I can't explain how it works without giving an example, so let's take Grass. The average of all of its base stats is 84. Its base HP is 78, and since the difference is 6, we'd subtract 6 again to get an HP stat of 72. If we do this for Attack, the average is still 84 and regular list has its attack as 94, making the difference 10 and the new stat 104. Reason I did this is because the regular stats looked a bit too "plain" to me, like it's rare to see something above 100 or below 70, so I felt like this would make a Pokemon's strengths stronger and its weaknesses bigger.

View attachment 216962
This is the scaled version of the exaggerated stats, in case we'd prefer having everything perfectly equal.

Questions:
- Which of the four formulas above would be best for the stats?
- Should this be a mod where people submit for the Pokemon in slates like mentioned before, or should this be more of a "solomod" where I make all of the changes myself and make it playable?
- Someone in the Discord suggested making one of each type combination usable instead of every single type. This is definitely something we can do, since there are around 300 possibilities, but it kinda goes against the idea of these 18 Pokemon representing their typings. Would that idea be directly better, worse, or would it be its own thing?
- Does this meta seem like it could be fun, both to play and to submit for if we end up using slates?
- Does anyone have any other miscellaneous suggestions that they feel are worth mentioning, but don't really fall under any of the above questions?

I also feel like bringing up in my post that I've worked on this idea a bit more, although most of it was a while ago. I might be wrong on this but I remember the idea getting decent enough reception on Discord. I updated the spreadsheet a bit, and here's what I have now.

1588029870097.png

This is how the stats look. I ended up scaling these to 600 and using the exaggerated versions as Coolman requested because his reasoning for why I should go about it that way being pretty good. I also heard a few people suggest that I should have this include all type combinations rather than just all single types, so for that, I'd just average the stats of the two types' stats as shown above. If anyone wants the spreadsheet for that, here it is, under the "600 Scale + All Combos" tab. With this, however, I have a few more questions for the community...

- Just to make sure, does this seem interesting to everyone?
- Should I do all type combinations, or just all single typings and make it a micrometa?
- Would this be stepping on Type Optimization's toes if I were to do all type combinations?
- Are there any other things that could be changed?

Expect me to post again soon, I had another idea for a mod that I mentioned in the Discord a while ago that I don't think I ever got around to posting here.

ViAbilities

The concept is essentially to give every ability some sort of use in singles by slates, whether they do nothing competitively (Ball Fetch, Honey Gather, etc.), only take effect in doubles (Stalwart, Telepathy, etc.), or are otherwise so overly situational that they are nearly useless (Anticipation, Early Bird, etc.).

Slates would be done in a method similar to Two-Step Mons, with the first part of a slate focusing on abilities, and the second part would be to make small modifications to Pokemon with those abilities to allow them to use their altered abilities the best they can, with slight BST changes and movepool additions if necessary. Abilities can also be removed from individual Pokemon if necessary, such as if Unnerve got buffed and became so good for Corviknight that it becomes unbalanced, the ability will be removed from Corviknight over Corviknight being banned or the entire ability being redone.

I'm currently thinking of making the mod based in the NatDex format, though it would most likely be put up to a vote before the first slate whether to use NatDex or the base Gen 8 OU.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)