Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

I'm 6'2 and weigh 181 pounds(82 kgs) with 20% body fat. I want to get a lean muscular body with good abs.

My current workout:

6-7 mins. of jogging to warm up
Concentration curls for both hands
Hammer curls for both hands
Tricep extensions for both hands
Push ups
Lateral raise
Shrugs
Overhead Press
Lunges
Squats

All exercises are performed @ 3 sets of 12 reps with 30 sec. rest interval between sets

Suggestions and tips, especially those of Lee, would be greatly appreciated.
I'm at a similar height and bf%. Right now, I'm 6'3" and 210lbs and 18%bf. My suggestion is hit up the bodybuilding.com forums and check out the 12 week kris gethin trainer. I followed that and got from 240 and 30%bf to 215 and 19%bf in those 12 weeks. I took a short break and am on my second run through. I think I could have gotten better results had I been able to stick with the diet. Beer killed me, and every weekend I'd drink a few beers, which definitely set me back. If you can stick to the program though, in three weeks, you'll be as fit as you want. 20% to 15% is not an unrealistic goal as long as you have a basic understanding of how to handle your diet.

I strongly recommend at the very least switching up your exercises and rep ranges just to introduce enough variety where you don't get bored of the workout. As I've discovered the hard way, your body can be bored of a workout before your mind realizes it.

Have a Photoshoot on december 11th that requires me being shirtless. I'm at about 13% body fat atm (can see the top abs but not bottom ones), so this is awesome motivation for me to get in the best shape of my life. Talked with a PT and we've decided to add 3 HIIT days into my routine in addition to the 4 days of training a week I've already been doing. Shits gonna get intense.

PS I've been back into deadlifting and squatting for the last few weeks. Feelsgoodman.jpg
Are you currently doing steady state cardio? If not, that hiit could easily drop you to 10% over the next month or so, but if that measurement is accurate, you're in the range where lower bf% will be very difficult to sustain. 13% is a pretty damn solid base to live at on an everyday basis. There is some dependence on individuality, but for the most part, people cannot sustain a bf% much lower than that for a prolonged period of time.

Hey guys, I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or at least I used to. I'll be returning to training in January, but for now, I have free access to a gym and really want to condition myself to be able to perform better. My cardio is shit. Utter shit. My lungs and heart get exhausted after 5 minutes of jogging and I get nauseous for the rest of my workout. And my body fat ratio isn't where I want it to be. I'm 5'11, 210 lbs and 18% body fat. So when I go to the gym, is there a regimen, or perhaps an online resource, that you can recommend to help me get started in building endurance and thinning out a bit. Ideally I'd like to compete from 175 to 185 in BJJ and be able to train for two hours without feeling like my lungs are going to collapse.

If there's anything I left out that would be more helpful in how you can advise me, let me know and I'll post it up.

~Be well, and don't die anytime soon :D

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm 6'2 and weigh 181 pounds(82 kgs) with 20% body fat. I want to get a lean muscular body with good abs.

My current workout:

Push ups
Lateral raise
Shrugs
Overhead Press
Lunges
Squats

All exercises are performed @ 3 sets of 12 reps with 30 sec. rest interval between sets

I hope you're not doing it in that order. Start with your compound movements first (squats, overhead press, deadlifts - yes I can see that they aren't in your program but they're one of your best exercises).

Anyway this is kind of a standard all body routine but it focuses on arms way too much, ignores back completely and almost ignores chest completely. Here's a rough guide off the top of my head of some of the best exercises for different muscle groups. There are plenty of good complementary exercises to add to this but these are some of the best ones I've found from personal experience

Chest:

DB / BB bench press (flat, incline and decline).
DB Fly's

Back:

Deadlift
Wide grip pull up
Lat Pulldown

Shoulders / Traps:

Overhead Press / DB Shoulder Press
BB Rows
Lateral Raises
DB / BB Shrugs

Legs:

Squats
Lunges

Arms:

DB Concentration Curl (Biceps)
BB Preacher Curl (Biceps)
One arm cable extension (Triceps)
Skullcrusher (Triceps)
Cable kickbacks (Triceps)

You can go about it one of two ways. You can pick 2 of the main exercises from legs, back and chest that I listed as well as 1 from shoulders, biceps and triceps and do them all in the same day, repeating 3 days a week. If you're just starting out and you don't have much time to train at the gym this can be an option. My recommendation though is to have a day dedicated for ALL of the sections I listed (you can add Biceps to back and Triceps to Chest, but I just read some research saying that more hypertrophy is achieved by giving the arms their own day as they aren't already fatigued from the compounds beforehand, meaning you can work them harder), which will take you to 4-5 days a week of training. You get to blast each body part and you can add complementary exercises to your routine to round our your core movements!

Hope I helped, good luck!

I've stuck to my own routine for the past three and a half years and it's had pretty good results (went from 5'8 115 lbs to 5'10 150 lbs, but a lot of that is probably puberty). My bench press literally started with the bar and now I'm maxing out at 245, but it's plateaued over the last six months and I really want to start building it back up again. Plateaus aren't new to me since I normally do my big gaining at the beginning of each school year and end up having to maintain my strength for the rest of the year, but so far I haven't been able to gain much strength at all recently. I was wondering if anyone here had enough experience to help edit my schedule.

Monday - Back
Lat Pull - 5x8
Weighted Pullups (35 lbs) - 4x8
DB Row - 5x5
BB Row - 5x5 (Barbell on the ground, weights on one side with a grip. You leave one end of the barbell on the ground and row the other. Not sure if this is universally called barbell row)

Tuesday - Shoulders
BB Military Press - 4x5
DB Military Press - 4x5
DB Lat Raise Dropsets (25, 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 5, 3) - 2 sets (You raise the dumbbell laterally, 8-10 reps for each weight depending on how I feel. Start with 25 and work your way down without rest in between weights)
Shrugs - 3x8

Wednesday - Legs
Squats - 5x10 (Start with 185, move to 225, then 245 for the next two, and then back to 225)
Lunges - 100 meters with sand bags
Leg Extensions - 3x12
Leg Curls - 3x12
Weighted Calf Raises - 3x30 at 75 lbs (Would love to get my calves bigger but apparently calf size is a genetic thing)

Thursday - Chest
BB Bench - 5x5
DB Decline - 3x8
DB Incline - 3x8
Box Pushups - 2x20 (Have two boxes spaced out to where I do a pushup on the boxes, push hard enough to get my hands off the boxes, and then move quickly to the ground between the boxes and do a pushup from there. Repeat the cycle 10 times per set)

Friday - Arms
Curls - 4x10
Weighted Dips - 4x10 at 75 lbs
Close Grip Bench - 3x10
Tricep Extensions - 3x10
and assorted other forearms exercises that don't matter much, it's a light day

I really only have about an hour of gym time each day so please keep that in mind. If possible, I'd like to bulk without gaining too much weight or body fat. I'm around 9% at the moment, though it might have gone up a bit recently. I would really appreciate some help, thanks :heart:

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
My main aim right now is to burn fat, not to gain muscle so I think that a full body workout routine will be more appropriate than a split routine. I will definitely try to include benchpress in my routine. Thanks for the tips, Stallion!
Just have two questions. Should I do both benchpress and dumbbell fly or one of them ? And do I really need to add deadlift/pull ups/lat pull downs to my routine ? (Doesn't the overhead press work my back enough ?)

I'm 6' 183 7% bodyfat. Also, I'm a personal trainer and manager at Gold's Gym :)
I used to be a dance instructor and might become a track coach soon. I didn't realize there was a place on the forums for this stuff lol.
I recently took one of my clients who never lifted before to a 400+ deadlift in less than 2 months :D

Here's few tips for people:
Never lift for more than 45 minutes if you're a skinny build. You're body will start to produce cortisol which eats away at muscle to provide extra energy.

The best way to gain strength is actually quite simple. Just 1 push and 1 pull on upperbody day(I like bench+weighted pull ups) and do the same for lowerbody(squat+glute ham raise).

Having lots of strength GREATLY accelerates bodybuilding or weight loss routines. That's why I always put clients through a strength building plan first, regardless of their goals. Then we get more specific when I am confident they can handle a rigorous weight loss/bodybuilding/strength plan.

@above The fastest way to burn fat is working to failure with as many muscles as possible. Normally anything you see in CrossFit is pretty good, but the key is you have to push yourself past failure. A strong nervous system from powerlifting or plyometric training helps with this.

Ok I'm done spitting out info. I just wanted to cover what has worked for me and the dozens I've people I've helped. The split body routines I see posted are meh. There really isn't a lot of reason to do 4 chest workouts in 1 day ever. My chest has always been the biggest part on me and it's just because I can bench 300+. I used to do 3 sets of 3 reps on bench and that was my whole workout. It took less than 15 minutes(looong rests) and did wonders.

What do you guys do to stay motivated to work out? Partner, music, watching other people, maybe some quotes to run through your head? I'm doing my best to stay motivated and while it works most of the time, some days I can't even force myself to try no matter what.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
@ youngjake93 Isn't training to failiure injurious to muscle development ? Does it not lead to overtraining ?

I just want to drop in my views again on cardio to respond to a couple of peeps without taking too long.

All you need to know about cardio for weight loss and endurance purposes IMO is that it is just something you do everyday at least 20 minutes without resting. Every single day, just start out easy the first few times, undertrain yourself as long as you want, and your body will start responding to you and telling you when to push longer and / or harder. 5 minutes of it is way way way better than none, so whatever it takes just go do something or just jump rope for a while if you have to.

All you need to do is start doing even the slightest easiest amount and do it every single day and it will become an addictive habit. Once you've gotten through the first few days / weeks, if you feel tired and don't wanna do it just take that day off, a day won't hurt anything and you'll be raring to go tomorrow. Stamina you get to see a measurable improvement every single day at first and you know you're improving yourself and becoming more in touch with your body every day which I believe is a good enough feeling to not be bothered if the weight doesn't immediately go down.

@ youngjake93 Isn't training to failiure injurious to muscle development ? Does it not lead to overtraining ?
You're actually hard pressed to see long-term results if you don't push to failure(edit: on your last set or 2). Muscle development literally comes from muscle damage. The discrepancy comes with pushing past failure(lifting until you can't do more and THEN doing cheat reps or lowering the weight to do more).

You want to push as much as humanly possible during that 45 min session. The body only changes when it feels it needs to adapt to a difficult environment. Overtraining is only dangerous in 2 scenarios that are easy to point out.
1) If you are doing something retarded while tired. This could be hurting yourself on the deadlift by rocking your mid back for example.
2) As a syndrome. You can't really overtrain in a single hour, but over the course of 3+ weeks you can. If you are constantly doing forced reps, working out for 3 hrs pers, not eating enough and sleeping less than 5 hours then you could have overtraining syndrome. The way to tell is simply if you start sucking at your lifts, your grip sucks, you're always tired, your muscles always feel tight/weak and you have no energy. All you have to do is get on a more appropriate schedule with more sleeping and less lifting.

Also, I like the above poster's thoughts on introducing cardio. Personally, I prefer HIIT interval training for cardio, but you need to be pretty fit to do it safely and efficiently.

@below, precisely! The whole workout shoots for failure, not every set. You don't want to lift subpar weights with a fried CNS

Last edited:
Failure is your central nervous system telling you to stop not your muscles. Stopping one rep shy of failure and then doing an extra set with perfect form is better than going to failure on one set and frying your CNS

Going to failure is generally not recommended unless you're in the last 2-3 sets of your workout.

You should really only train to failure once you've been lifting for a while and know your body. If you're inexperience and you do it, you're most likely just going to end up hurting yourself. You'll still see improvement if you play it safe.

Anyone else doing a bodyweight routine? I had to give up my gym membership when money started getting tight, and I'm putting on a little extra (!!). I'm looking into getting an over-the-door pullup bar and doing a basic 3-day full body routine with horizontal and vertical pushes/pulls and leg work, along with daily yoga and cardio on off days.

So the strength-building part is easy. The hard part is finding effective cardio I can do at home with no equipment. The most obvious answer is running, but after two and a half miles I get an unbearable pain in my hip (one of the reasons I'm trying to do yoga) so I'd like to do something else, at least until I can sort of run. I used to swim back when I was a lifeguard, but it turns out the membership at that pool is actually more expensive than the gym I had to quit going to. I could look at getting a jump rope and doing that, but would that aggravate my hip too? Or is there other at-home cardio I should look at?

You should really only train to failure once you've been lifting for a while and know your body. If you're inexperience and you do it, you're most likely just going to end up hurting yourself. You'll still see improvement if you play it safe.

Anyone else doing a bodyweight routine? I had to give up my gym membership when money started getting tight, and I'm putting on a little extra (!!). I'm looking into getting an over-the-door pullup bar and doing a basic 3-day full body routine with horizontal and vertical pushes/pulls and leg work, along with daily yoga and cardio on off days.

So the strength-building part is easy. The hard part is finding effective cardio I can do at home with no equipment. The most obvious answer is running, but after two and a half miles I get an unbearable pain in my hip (one of the reasons I'm trying to do yoga) so I'd like to do something else, at least until I can sort of run. I used to swim back when I was a lifeguard, but it turns out the membership at that pool is actually more expensive than the gym I had to quit going to. I could look at getting a jump rope and doing that, but would that aggravate my hip too? Or is there other at-home cardio I should look at?
Hip, knee and shin pain in runners are commonly caused muscular imbalance. For your hip, look to see if you have a glute, low back, adductor, abductor, low ab or hip flexor weakness. There are calisthenics to help with these such as glute bridges and leg lifts since you are sticking to bodyweight.

Also, burpees give you a full body workout and lots of HIT cardio. Plus, if you put some time into learning it, breakdance is basically one of the best things for cardio, strength, endurance, and everything else. I used to teach it, trust me :)

Hip, knee and shin pain in runners are commonly caused muscular imbalance. For your hip, look to see if you have a glute, low back, adductor, abductor, low ab or hip flexor weakness. There are calisthenics to help with these such as glute bridges and leg lifts since you are sticking to bodyweight.
I hadn't even thought about that possibility. Sounds a lot better than me just getting old. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into it.

Yo guys, I just wanted to see out there in this Smogon world if any one bodybuilds and goes to the gym to destroy their body. To me, it's become a hobby, a hobby over any hobby that I have. Alot of people ask me how bodybuilding can be a hobby. Well, to me, a hobby is something you enjoy and put forth money and effort into your investment. My investment is myself.

I started to get very heavy back in March of 2013 after studying and studying for my state boards and after finishing up with college. All I would do is drink monster after monster for that studying focus and just some energy, and I never really had a set eating habit; I would just eat when I was hungry, and that was usually all the time (lol). So, when I finally stepped on a scale in March, I was a hefty 231 lbs at 5'10". I was pretty big to say the least. It was then I knew I needed to change everything in my life.

I majored in Radiologic Sciences and minored in Biologicial Sciences and Nutrion in college acquiring my Bachelor's degree in science. I've taken various nutrition courses, so I knew how to break everything down and I knew where to start. It was just the starting problem that I was dealing with.

I stareted to eat small meals every 2-3 hours, and complex carbs early in the day before my workouts. I did this natural diet for a month and I finally got used to it. I was starving at first because my body didn't know how to handle being hungry and not having food until my 2-3 hour period had come to finally eat.

I started out at:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 231 lbs
Body Fat: 25%​

I am now (7 months later):

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 178 lbs
Body Fat: 10%​

I am in the progress of becoming a personal trainer being certified by the NASM (National Academny of Sports Medicine). I am well adversed in nutrional and supplementation all te way down to the chemical level of the certain supplements and hormone interactions. Please feel free to ask me anything you have a question about. I want to help anyone else that is looking to get into shape or just eat right. I will be competing soon in body building competitions. I will write up my plan down below.

If anyone has a bodybuilding.com account, feel free to friend request me. This is my page:
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/SHUTupNrocK8/

Here are my progress pictures from Day 1 until around now:
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/community/progress-photos/SHUTupNrocK8

I'll be updating more, I've been really busy. Been on BSN True Mass and ON Pro Complex Gainer to gain lean mass now. Anyone have any questions, feel free to PM me.

What's everyone's macro split? I go 20/50/40 right now while on a clean boarder line bulk until about February and I'll cut for competition season.

Last edited:
My Nutrition Plan
In this program I will give you a breakdown of what to eat, when it is critical to eat, and what supplements that will best suit you. I will briefly go over working out and the types of workouts, but the type of workout is up to you to choose for the type of physique you want to achieve. I also want to state that I am not an expert; I am creating this program from my 10 years of experience in body building, training, and the knowledge of nutrition that I have learned in the classroom and on my own.

Nutrition
It is critical to follow a strict diet, or nutritional, plan in order to achieve the body that you really want. Ask any body builder or just someone that is extremely cut… nutrition is the hardest and most important part of your program. “Dieting” doesn’t mean you’re going to be starving yourself and be miserable. Sadly, the people who cannot stick to a diet or nutrition plan are not doing it right and usually eat too less and become too hungry to maintain the diet. Knowing what to eat is easy once you understand the different food groups. I’ll list and explain them below:

1. Carbohydrates

Everyone will tell you carbs are the enemy when you are on a diet or when you’re trying to get a cut or slim physique. They are wrong… so wrong. Your body literally cannot function without the use of carbs, and eating them at the most critical times will benefit. Maintaining the Leptin levels in the blood will maintain a healthy metabolism in order to cut off fat. Therefore, when you eat no carbs your metabolism actually becomes slower, so when you eat more carbs or eat carbs in splurges on “cheat days” you will generally see that people will gain the weight back quicker due to a lack of carbs and decreased Leptin in their blood.

“Yeah, but if I eat no carbs my body will break down my fat in my body.” Yes, your body will break down the fat in adipose tissue (fat cells) in order to use as an energy source, BUT the conversion rate of ATP from fat to a complex carb is about 1:1000 (give or take). This means the breakdown of fat is extremely slow compared to consumed complex carbs. You will be light headed, weak, or malase, and you DO NOT want this especially when you are working out. There are three major types of carbs: simple, complex, and fibrous.

Simple carbs are your “bad” carbs, and the carbs you want to stay away from. They are the carbs that are extremely catabolic (fast digestion) and always spike insulin levels in your blood which will in turn transfer those unused catabolic carbs and store them in the adipose tissue (fat cells). This is what truly makes people gain weight, not fatty foods. Simple carbs are bad, BUT can help only at certain times. Those certain times are in the morning as soon as you wake up, and immediately after a workout. Why? Because those are the times your muscles and body are literally starving for nutrition (glycogen). Glycogen is a major part of building lean muscle mass. Therefore, if you eat a simple carbs at those given times, you can benefit by replenishing the glycogen levels in your muscles in order to maintain healthy strong muscles. Here is a list comprehensive list of simple carbs: sugar, candy, white bread, white flour products, white potatoes, white pasta, corn syrup, corn flour, cereal, sugary drinks, fruit juice, yogurt, milk, honey, jelly, and fruit.

Now, complex carbs are your best friend when on a diet. These are the carbs you will eat primarily before your workout for that needed energy boost and nutrition. If you look at complex carb nutrition charts on the side of a product, there should be fiber and 0g sugar. Checking the sugar content will let you know right away if it truly is a complex carb vs. a simple carb. Complex carbs are extremely anti-catabolic (slow digestion), meaning they are digested at a very slow rate compared a simple carb. It usually takes anywhere between 4-8 hours to fully digest complex carbs, whereas, simple carbs usually are digested within 30 minutes to an hour. This slow digestion rate avoids spiking insulin within the blood, therefore, avoiding the storage of unused those carbs in adipose. You will use these carbs throughout the day especially during your workouts. I will list a full meal plan below after explaining the major macromolecules groups. Here is a comprehensive list of complex carbs: wheat bread, wheat flour products, whole wheat products, wheat pasta, whole grain products, rye bread, pumpernickel bread, brown rice, sweat potatoes, yams, all types of beans (dry), and dry oats.

Fibrous carbs are your vegetables. You can combine fibrous carbs with your complex carbs, but these are the carbs you are going to eat after your workout at night because they contain important nutrients and vitamins, and are a form a carb that will not be stored in adipose. I’m not going to list vegetables because you can just eat your favorite ones. Here are the best vegetables to eat: broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts.

2. Protein

Protein is a no brainer when it comes to dieting. You need to eat protein in order to gain muscle mass. Try to portion your meals so that they have at least 10-40g of protein. You will most likely ingest about 1g of protein a day per pound body weight, which is normal for wanting to gain lean mass. You can find protein in major lean meats, protein shakes, and meal replacements. There are two forms of protein when it comes to protein powders (shakes), and they are casein and whey protein. Majority of meat and food sources of protein are a mix of them both. Avoid lunch meats as they contain too many preservatives and sodium in them. Here is a comprehensive list of lean protein sources: steak, chicken, turkey, turkey bacon, eggs, egg whites, lean white meat pork, tenderloin, ground turkey, and ground beef (drained).

3. Fats

Fats are not always bad for you, as I said before, most major weight gain come from simple carbs, not fat. Your bad fats and unhealthy fats are trans and saturated fats. These fats are found in unhealthy processed products like microwavable dishes, fried foods, fast foods, hamburgers, hot dogs, cheese, butter, grease, and certain oils used for cooking. Your good fats are mono- and polyunsaturated fats seeing as they actually lower your cholesterol levels in your blood, and aid in reducing the risk of heart disease. When cooking, I usually only use cooking spray as it is the lowest amount of calories per serving among oils. You should have some form of fat in each meal, but try to maintain it to about 10-20g. I usually eat 0-10g of fat a meal. Here is a comprehensive list of healthy fats: olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, avocados, olives, nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews), peanut butter, fish, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and egg yokes.

Meal Preparation
Now that you know which foods are good for you and which are bad, I will get down to the meal aspect of dieting. Like I said before you really want to eat every 2.5-3 hours. This will reduce your overall hunger level, reduce cravings, and increase your metabolic rate. It is critical to stick to your nutrition plan. It is acceptable to cheat once, but try not to go too far off track from your nutrition plan because after a while it’s not a diet; it’s a change in life style. Also, your body becomes so adapted to your diet, that any meal that are not portioned or too many calories than your used to, your body will not know how to react to the increased ingestion of food and will store those unfamiliar extra calories as fat.
Prepare your meals! I usually cook about 10-20 meals at a time so I can bring them anywhere I go especially to work. Meal preparation is key because it will ensure that you always have a meal, and you don’t have an excuse to cheat on your diet. Here is a generally prepared meal: 2 pieces of tilapia, and 1 cup of brown rice, and/or 1 cup of spinach. I usually eat one carb at a time to reduce my calorie and carb intake. I eat my carbs, but not as many as someone that has less fat than me. I eat 1/2 cup of a complex carb in a meal, you should eat 1 cup and if that’s too much ¾ cup.

Mix your meals up! Mix up what you eat every week so you don’t get bored of a certain meal. Believe me, you will get bored. I ate chicken for 3 weeks in a row, and I was so bored of it to the point I was gagging eating it every day. Some meal great choices are chicken and brown rice, steak and sweet potatoes, eggs and oats, fish and beans, turkey on wheat, ground turkey and brown rice, and wheat pasta with meat sauce. Also, your meals don’t have to be bland and disgusting. I make my meals as delicious as I can. There are so many ways to make your meals taste good. Use spices like pepper, Mrs. Dash’s seasonings, Goya seasonings (as seen above in my brown rice), and low sodium seasonings. You can use hot sauce, but not too much as it is high in sodium. Sodium is good for staying hydrated, but too much can raise your blood pressure. That’s why you should stay away from lunch meats, microwavable dish, and processed foods! There is plenty of natural sodium in the meats you eat.

Here is a deliciously healthy dish... It’s my own Garlic and Lemon Zest shrimp over
whole grain pasta:

1 cup wheat pasta
16 pieces of jumbo shrimp
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp bay salt
1/2 pepper

(6g fat, 52g carbs, 62g protein).

Track your meals! It is important to track your meals – what you eat, and when you eat… even down to your supplements. This will let you track your progress, and so you will know when to eat next, and again, allowing you to maintain your 2.5-3 hour meal plan. It’s not as important to track your calories per meal as it is to just track your meals so you know when to eat because your meals should be similarly portioned anyhow. The easiest way to track your meals is to use your phone. I track all of my meals in my iPhone under the Notes app. I have all of my meals tracked for the past 21 weeks in my phone, so I can see my progress.

I would highly recommend eating 15 calories per pound of body weight in calories if you want to gain lean muscle mass. Eat 10 calories per pound of body weight in calories if you want to slim down. For example, I am currently 201 lbs. So I would want to eat 3015 calories a day to gain lean muscle, and 2010 calories if I wanted to slim down. I eat over 3200 calories a day because I want to lose body fat while gaining lean muscle mass. Plus, you have to remember you will be burning 1500-2000 calories while working out, so you’re really only giving your body 1000 calories to work with.

You can always modify your diet too. You don’t have to eat the same portions each meal. If you have one cup of a complex carbs for 2 weeks in a row and it’s too much - go down to ¾ cup of brown rice. Try to portion your meals the same so your body can get used to it. If you’re going to modify your diet, don’t do ¾ cup of a complex carb and then the next day do 1 cup of a complex carb… let your body maintain a balance for a week or so.

Supplements
Dieting should be your focus, but supplements are an important aspect when working out. There are so many supplements on the market that it may be hard to choose the right one for you. I, personally, take all of the following on a daily basis: BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids), glutamine, green tea extract, green tea, digestive enzymes, Orange Triad multivitamins, fish oil, flaxseed oil, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acids), NO2 Explode (creatine, beta-alanine, and nitric oxide), Glycofuse post-workout carb, 100% whey protein, and 100% casein protein.

As a beginner, I would not recommend all of these supplements. The most important supplements you will want to take are a multivitamin, fish oil, CLA, a pre-workout, creatine, a post-workout carb, 100% whey and casein proteins. The best multivitamin on the market is Orange Triad; it is a natural multivitamin and joint lubricant allowing for increased amounts of synovial fluid to help your joints glide. Multivitamins will increase your immune system and general health. Next are the fish oil pills. You can get fish oil pills anywhere, but my favorite is Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil. It’s cheap and enteric coated so it will only release in the large bowel where those oils are critically absorbed. CLA are double bonded linoleic acids that will aid in lowering blood pressure and help break down fats within the digestive tract. A pre-workout is a mixed powder of multiple supplements such as creatine, beta-alanine, nitric oxide, and some amino acids. Creatine will increase your muscle volume, beta-alanine is a muscle stimulator which will make you feel anxious and tingly, and nitric oxide is a natural vasodilator which will increase the diameter of your blood vessels in order to get blood throughout your body and muscles quicker resulting in less fatigue. My favorite and most potent pre-workout powder is NO2 Explode. I HIGHLY recommend only taking ½ a scoop for the first week, and then one after the first week. It is very strong, and will give you crazy energy, so ONLY take it 30-45 minutes before your workout and no other time of the day.

Post-workout carbs are extremely important when trying to gain lean muscle mass. As I said before, after sleeping and working out, your body is starving. It is completely depleted of glycogen which is the muscle’s energy source and building block among amino acids. A post-workout carb can be any type of simple carb like candy! YES! You can have candy, but only immediately after your workout. This will spike insulin in your blood and now transport the “sugar,” or glycogen, to your muscles and not your fat cells. Now that your muscles are replenished and happy, they will now gladly take up protein in order to recover and get stronger. I, personally, don’t recommend simple sugars because they are just generally not good for you even though they will be all used up by your muscles. I recommend a post-workout waxy maze product (dextrose) that doesn’t have sugar in it, but does spike insulin. My favorite post-workout carb is Glycofuse, but there are better ones with more carbs which I recommend for you. Do your research! PROTEIN!! Proteins are amino acids in which your muscles use to repair and grow bigger. Protein powders are either 100% whey or 100% casein, or both. I don’t recommend getting a protein powder that has both because it is not as concentrated as 100% whey or casein products. Plus, you can always mix your 100% casein into your 100% whey if you want.

Look at the nutritional facts chart on the protein container. When the protein has more fat and carbs in it, it is less pure. Yes, there are purity levels when it comes to protein powders. Whey protein is a catabolic amino acid which should be taken after sleeping or working out because it is so fast acting. The best is hydrolyzed whey protein, or Hydrowhey, because it is so concentrated and pure that it will be transported to your muscles extremely fast. This is the most expensive whey though. Although, I do take hydrowhey for maximum results, I would suggest general 100% whey for you. ON Gold Standard 100% Whey is the best for the price and most delicious. Casein protein is the opposite of whey; it is anti-catabolic. It is so slow acting it takes almost 4-5 hours to fully digest. This should be taken before sleeping at night so your body can feed off of it and build and repair muscle while you sleep. Casein is very thick though. You will have to blend it because it has the consistency of cake batter if not blended. It also doesn’t taste that well; this is normal. I take one scoop of casein every night before going to bed. I blend it with water, 10g of glutamine and 2 ice cubes. ON Gold Standard 100% Casein is the best casein protein powder.

In conclusion, your meals and supplements will be expensive, there is no way around it, but it will be worth it when you see your results. I have been following an extremely strict diet plan and workout routine for the past 8 weeks, and I had lost 21 lbs. and gain a lot of lean muscle. It will be easier for you to gain lean muscle simply because you are naturally skinny. Your muscle will show in 2-3 months. Fat does not turn into fat; I hate when people say that. The more muscle mass you gain, the easier it is to burn fat. So keep at what you’re doing and don’t give up.

Use bodybuilding.com for workout programs and buying supplements. Let me know before you order supplements because I’ll help you shop for them and give you a 10% off coupon. I only get my supplements there; it’s the best. Plus they have a bunch of free workout programs. I follow Kris Gethin’s 12 Week Hardcore program. I highly recommend it to you or Jim Stoppani’s Shortcut to size program. These two will put lean muscle mass on you quick. They are extremely hard, but stick with it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
fallen a bit behind with this thread, super busy with new job, you know how it is. just rattling away with my running lately; lots of effort runs, fartlek, hill sprints and a healthy dose of recovery runs. and cycling 12 miles a day simply to get to and fro work. This is my second residence at 1000+ feet altitude in the past 2 years so I'm hoping to feel some minor benefit from that...probably not high enough but eh, every little counts, right?

My current workout:

Push ups
Lateral raise
Shrugs
Overhead Press
Lunges
Squats

firstly; in reference to a following post, i'd advise to stay well clear of failure; the potential benefits are far outweighed by the very likely injuries that will occur as a result of it. even with nearly 10 years of lifting experience i stay well clear of failure.

it's not too dissimilar to my first ever self-concocted workout in that you're trying to blast all body parts in quick succession. that did a lot of good for me as an introductory workout but what I found (and what I imagine you will find) is that you'll plateau within a few months and eventually crave a more conventional 'bodybuilding' routine (different body parts on different days).

It looks fine for now, I'm sure it'll help you to trim down that body fat and appear more muscular but you likely won't make serious mass gains on it. Which is totally fine if that's not what you're after. The only change I'd make (in the knowledge that you're a footballer) is to throw in a few sprint efforts; great for building power, cardio and speed endurance.

Harsha - Layne Norton's PHAT might be worth a look but if your sole concern is strength then a few tweaks could work wonders. Are you familar with FatGripz? Here's an article by a friend of mine - I don't say that to name drop, only to give you a bit confidence that it's not just some gym rat pitch - [url]http://www.fsi-gym.co.uk/wp/?p=702[/url] that covers the topic. Look at some of the more strongman orientated exercises too; trap bar carry (farmer walk), power press and isometric holds are personal favourites of mine.

Also, regarding the calf size thing, you're in good company - I just recently found out Arnie had calf implants; how crazy is that?

TaiCrunch - seconding Jake's suggestion and have you considered cycling? Would be surprised if it caused the same hip woes; skipping is a terrible idea as a long-term cardio exercise...even something as little as 30 minutes of skipping a day will wreck your knees within a year or two (it's called 'jumper's knee' for a reason). By all means use it for building co-ordination and speed but keep it to short bursts.

youngjake93 and shutupnrock8 - Welcome. :)

your links are still broken, shutupnrock8.

Last edited:
If anyone takes pre-workout, I just got done my Pre-Jym review on bodybuilding.com:

One word: disappointing... that's what I said to myself when I took this pre-workout that everyone was raving about. I think why this pre-workout got so much praise is simply because Dr. Jim Stoppani created it, whom is fairly popular among the body building community. He is an extremely knowledgeable man to which I give credit, but I don't think a supplement should get praise for not preforming just because of the name or brand name. For example, it's like saying a $50 Polo t-shirt is far superior than a $5 Hanes t-shirt; they're both made out of the same material, Polo just costs more so people psychologically think it's a better product.

From my background and research in biological and chemistry, this product does offer a bit (only a bit) more than other competitors. I do not think it should merit the huge price tag it is given. There are plenty of cheaper pre-workouts out there that perform extremely well, perhaps better. While still on the very large price tag, the portion sizes are a touch off. I got about 18 level scoops out of one container (I purchased two). The scoop sizes are fairly large, so large I would literally wipe the head off of the scooper to size to make it all last... it still didn't last any longer than 18 scoops. Very disappointing and misleading.

The taste is actually very good; it is a bit sweet, but I like that seeing as I never eat anything sweet while on clean dieting throw out the day. The bottom of the shaker was very gritty, and I always had to add extra water to wash it back. Not a huge deal... unless your driving.

For what it's worth, I took this after cycling off all stims for 3 months. The product did absolutely nothing for me. To be completely honest, I was actually way more tired after working out due to the caffeine crash. The 300mg is a bit too much (for me at least), 400 mg is usually the normal dosage for an average adult.

Finally, I would like to just get something straight. I am not, I repeat, I am not a person employed by a competing supplement company. I am a normal average guy who doesn't want to waste his money on products that just do not perform. I know the science and chemical break down of the supplements within the pre-workouts, and I can tell the differences between each pre-workout from responsible experimenting and experience. There are so many pre-workout supplements out there that will give you that craze you need to get you started and going in the gym. Yes, everyone is different, but coming from someone that takes body building and working out extremely serious, I am very disappointed. This product may work for others, just not me. I wish the best to anyone buying this product, and I hope you have desirable results.

Score: 1/10

TaiCrunch - seconding Jake's suggestion and have you considered cycling? Would be surprised if it caused the same hip woes; skipping is a terrible idea as a long-term cardio exercise...even something as little as 30 minutes of skipping a day will wreck your knees within a year or two (it's called 'jumper's knee' for a reason). By all means use it for building co-ordination and speed but keep it to short bursts.
Cycling was the first thing I thought about. Unfortunately I live in one of the highest-traffic areas in a town that's already not bike friendly in the least. My other cycling option would be trail riding, but it'll be a while before I can get the money for gear. Of course I was mentioning skipping for HIIT over long-term cardio, I should have been more clear on that.

fallen a bit behind with this thread, super busy with new job, you know how it is. just rattling away with my running lately; lots of effort runs, fartlek, hill sprints and a healthy dose of recovery runs. and cycling 12 miles a day simply to get to and fro work. This is my second residence at 1000+ feet altitude in the past 2 years so I'm hoping to feel some minor benefit from that...probably not high enough but eh, every little counts, right?

firstly; in reference to a following post, i'd advise to stay well clear of failure; the potential benefits are far outweighed by the very likely injuries that will occur as a result of it. even with nearly 10 years of lifting experience i stay well clear of failure.

it's not too dissimilar to my first ever self-concocted workout in that you're trying to blast all body parts in quick succession. that did a lot of good for me as an introductory workout but what I found (and what I imagine you will find) is that you'll plateau within a few months and eventually crave a more conventional 'bodybuilding' routine (different body parts on different days).

It looks fine for now, I'm sure it'll help you to trim down that body fat and appear more muscular but you likely won't make serious mass gains on it. Which is totally fine if that's not what you're after. The only change I'd make (in the knowledge that you're a footballer) is to throw in a few sprint efforts; great for building power, cardio and speed endurance.

Harsha - Layne Norton's PHAT might be worth a look but if your sole concern is strength then a few tweaks could work wonders. Are you familar with FatGripz? Here's an article by a friend of mine - I don't say that to name drop, only to give you a bit confidence that it's not just some gym rat pitch - http://www.fsi-gym.co.uk/wp/?p=702 that covers the topic. Look at some of the more strongman orientated exercises too; trap bar carry (farmer walk), power press and isometric holds are personal favourites of mine.

Also, regarding the calf size thing, you're in good company - I just recently found out Arnie had calf implants; how crazy is that?

youngjake93 and shutupnrock8 - Welcome. :)

your links are still broken, shutupnrock8.
I have no idea why they are broken lol, they're direct links. If you want to shoot me a friend request, you can search members under the members tabs. I'm shutupnrock8 on bb.com also.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lee i am calling you (and all runners) with a question. this is my second year of XC. my first year (last year) i picked it up without running before and in about 4 months finished the season with a 19:58. i didn't train in the offseason, though. this year, i finished with a 20:57 and want to continue training. question is, how much time can i expect to shave off with a year of solid training, and at how much mileage? i do about 20 mpw now (and have been for 4 months) and i'm almost positive that that isn't enough for any serious gains. what should i be looking at optimally? 35, 40? and how big of gains should i expect?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Lee i am calling you (and all runners) with a question. this is my second year of XC. my first year (last year) i picked it up without running before and in about 4 months finished the season with a 19:58. i didn't train in the offseason, though. this year, i finished with a 20:57 and want to continue training. question is, how much time can i expect to shave off with a year of solid training, and at how much mileage? i do about 20 mpw now (and have been for 4 months) and i'm almost positive that that isn't enough for any serious gains. what should i be looking at optimally? 35, 40? and how big of gains should i expect?
19.58 without prior experience is respectable, you must be a natural. how much time you can expect to shave off is dependent on way too many variables for me to give an estimate...but accounting for further noob gains, i could see you hovering around the low 18's, maybe even cracking sub-18 on a good day on a good course.

20mpw isn't as low as you think it is when you're training for a 5k - I mean that's enough to run an actual 5k six times a week if you saw fit (not suggesting it). I'm reading a book on running faster by a former British XC Champion; right at the start of the book he stresses that churning out endless miles plodding along at a slow pace is not a recipe for success at any distance, especially not 5k. It does you more harm than anything as your body adapts to running slowly and, at slow paces, your cardiovascular system is rarely stressed. Across those 20mpw you could do (in no particular order):

- a 5k max effort (3 miles)
- Fartlek training (3 miles)
- Interval Hill training (3 miles)
- Recovery run (4 miles)
- Long, steady run (7 miles)

5 sessions, spread out across the week, and you'll probably see much more benefit with regards to your goals than just plodding along for 10 miles a day.

might edit later, will tag you if i do, g2g.

Reactions: yee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)